Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ever invent a new word?

• 14-05-2012 4:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Tonight I was trying to explain to some friends who a guy in our company was and that he was a cousin of another mate but somehow I got it mixed up and called him her "cousband".

I think I should patent the word and sell it to red necks in America and people from Dundalk as am sure cousins who are also their husbands is quite a common thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

"cousband" is a perfectly cromulent word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Goan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Flappypuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Smee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

splange

Shíte - someone already invented it:
    Splange
    The slightly over eger weed smoker who hogs the joints, gets way too high and and doesn't put in.
    "I can't ****ing believe this Matt you prick, next time you come round you'd better bring some weed, you ****ing splange."

• Advertisement

I invented the word "Truple" for people like myself in a relationship containing three people rather than the standard "Couple" with two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"Gypsters". Hipsters that look like gypsies. Otherwise known as "c*nts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lI've never invented a word a such, but I've had a disease named after me if that counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ghandee wrote: »
    lI've never invented a word a such, but I've had a disease named after me if that counts?

Is that where you go around poking people in the eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

chin_grin wrote: »
    Is that where you go around poking people in the eye?

Chin grin me old Mucker, I've poked many people in many places. Rarely in the eye though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Politicunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Not a word I invented but Kerry people, instead of using 'the shift' or 'a meet' or whatever the young ones call it, kerry people around the killorglin area call it 'jibb'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I the zoo recently I tried to tell my son the monkeys were over beside the tigers and I accidentally said monkers. So I invented a new word and a new animal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Bombosity.

Basically it means "cheek". If someone cuts ahead of you in a queue you may say: "The sheer bombosity of that fcuker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Telefunction - Our word for television....

No idea where it came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

When admonishing my teenager one day I cautioned her not to 'intervolve' herself, I was trying to suggest she not interfere nor get involved!! It works for me and has entered the family shorthand!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Stampled". A combination of stampeded, stamped and trampled. Can be used in the context of herds of ruminant animals or riots.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Everyone on my mom's side of the family says "scrawm".
    Like you get scrawmed by a cat.
    It's like scratch, but more specific.
    I have said it my whole life never questioning it, until I was about 18 and one of my friends asked me what the hell I was talking about - she said she'd been wondering for years!
    So I looked it up in the dictionary to show her and it didn't exist - I was shockified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When I was younger I used to say addictable instead of addictive. Apparently a lot of other people used to say it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

"bodazement"
    something very skillfull and creative!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Trombivulence.

A verb, I think, to describe a persons general muppetry in any given situation.
    The conversation went thusly :

FRIEND : He knows well, the cúnt, what he's at and still tries to get away with it
    ME : I know. That fúcksocks trombivulence will land him in the middle of a punching session some day.
    (After 3 minutes of silence)
    FRIEND : What the fúck does trombivulence mean?
    ME : Haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Cosmo-plated.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

confuddled and confussed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I invented the word "Truple" for people like myself in a relationship containing three people rather than the standard "Couple" with two.

Typical Maynooth folk. Sheep don't count as people.
    shanered wrote: »
    "bodazement"
    something very skillfull and creative!

Roish....

smash wrote: »
    When I was younger I used to say addictable instead of addictive. Apparently a lot of other people used to say it too.

Your dad should have smacked that outta you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Grick-

A particularly bad-tasting cereal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Pandora2 wrote: »
    When admonishing my teenager one day I cautioned her not to 'intervolve' herself, I was trying to suggest she not interfere nor get involved!! It works for me and has entered the family shorthand!!

I think everyone in Louth is "Intervolved" with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I don't know if this counts but me and my friend worked in a petrol station when we were 15, there was a big stick behind the counter in case we were attacked, we called it 'le stick o beatong'. :o
    We were idiot stoners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Bombosity.

Basically it means "cheek". If someone cuts ahead of you in a queue you may say: "The sheer bombosity of that fcuker"

Is that a derivative from bombastic, as in Mr. Bombastic who had bombasity..
    http://saltarel.fts.educ.msu.edu/phd/bombasity/
    :pac:

Typical Maynooth folk. Sheep don't count as people.

I am not from around these parts :-) Dublin born and bred. What you wanna do with sheep is your own business, do not project it on to others. :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Vivicordial - adj

An adjective that describes someone that is way friendlier than than they should be. Possibly from being on ecstasy. And is probably a two-faced cúnt.

Friend 1: Did you meet Sarah's new fella last night?
    Friend 2: Aye. I don't trust him. A bit too vivicordial.
    Friend 1: Yeah, lets kick his díck in.
    Friend 2: Solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

A mate sort of accidentally invented the word "gnarling" thinking that it was a real word. He took it to mean a state of hunger somewhat more than a hankering e.g. I've a gnarling for a big bag of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Scumlings - Reference to Dublin junkie's children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

A family one we had for penis was "stroop" and going toilet was going for a "swiz" so it became a thing before we would leave the house that dad would shout at us to go "swiz the stroop" even if we were female.

also in our house any kinda pasta sauce or mixture really would be called "slooder" or "scudum"

My dad is a bit mad it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Pignorant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One that I used in something I wrote years ago.

"Conflustered"

= Confused and flustered by something (usually the wife!) at the same time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think everyone in Louth is "Intervolved" with each other.
    Shut up you stinking Cisco loving nerdlinger.

Offetty: Petty comeback used for when you are offended by something somebody has said to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

An Eddie/Eddying... Basically we know a guy called Eddie who never stops lying, Big ones too.

So if someone is telling whoppers we go "Ah that's an eddie". Or "will you ever stop eddying".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Everyone on my mom's side of the family says "scrawm".
    Like you get scrawmed by a cat.

I have heard the word scrawb before which means the same thing

my word that I have invented is Sproglodyte which is child with the manners of a caveman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If it counts, up until I was 5, I always thought I was the one who invented the word "Apparently" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

scumbitch - a female scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Not a new word but I call my fat headed neighbour "Head n' Shoulders" due to his lack of visible neckline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

'Thismediately'

I came up with it in a blind temper as a kid when somebody or something wasn't going as quickly as I wanted.
    Been used in our house ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

buggermabob - its a vibrating device for buggering yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

BOOBALIZED

when you get caught in the headlights so to speak of a woman with a good pair

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

A friend brewed his own beer and it tasted really woeful. Came up with the name Gurfschlog for it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

rambutman wrote: »
    BOOBALIZED

when you get caught in the headlights so to speak of a woman with a good pair

another phrase for that is titalated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

A mate sort of accidentally invented the word "gnarling" thinking that it was a real word. He took it to mean a state of hunger somewhat more than a hankering e.g. I've a gnarling for a big bag of chips.

Gnarl is a word according to the Dictionary, not in your friends context which is much better imo.

Was looking it up as I remember in my secondary school days in metalwork we used to use a lathe to serrate metal handles to enable a better grip which I though was called gnarling.

Anyway turns out that was Knurling. See, you learn something everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Lunitard

Was in traffic, somebody did somehing stupid... went to call him a "lunatic", changed my mind to "retard" half way through, and thus "Lunitard" was born!

I like how it sounds like leotard - add's a certain , je ne sais quoi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Beourage: referring to a significant number of attractive women.

As in "I watched Vicky Christina Barcelona last night. Some serious beourage in that film!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

NVMFVNMCBJCNMNXJNNVJDSDMNDBNSDBJNSJDVNJDS!!!! - Means, hello.

• Advertisement
Advertisement