Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend's debt

Options
  • 14-05-2012 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Are all these options to pay off loans still viable in Ireland these days (post recession)?

I also have an older friend who, I guess, didn't really understand the logic of a credit card at the time of taking it and has run up close to 10k. He's definitely in no position now, after a separation, to pay any good amount off it each month.

I've suggested taking a personal loan out and cutting up the credit card.. or at the very least cutting the limit down much, much lower for incidentals/emergencies.

Do the banks still give out personal loans for circumstances like this or would he be better off "rate surfing" and transferring the balance to 0% cards..?

Please bear in mind he's older and doesn't use the internet so needs a simple, straightforward solution.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kathola wrote: »
    Are all these options to pay off loans still viable in Ireland these days (post recession)?

I also have an older friend who, I guess, didn't really understand the logic of a credit card at the time of taking it and has run up close to 10k. He's definitely in no position now, after a separation, to pay any good amount off it each month.

I've suggested taking a personal loan out and cutting up the credit card.. or at the very least cutting the limit down much, much lower for incidentals/emergencies.

Do the banks still give out personal loans for circumstances like this or would he be better off "rate surfing" and transferring the balance to 0% cards..?

Please bear in mind he's older and doesn't use the internet so needs a simple, straightforward solution.

Easiest way is to get a personal loan from the bank to pay it off.

Lower interest. and wipes the card.

Then tell them to request a lower limit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

delly wrote: »
    How about moving credit card company and getting an introduction period of 0% interest?
    kathola wrote: »

most of these would still work, the 0% card switching does anyway, they were on about it on today fm a few months back.

Also cutting up the credit card/lowering the limit will always work.

MABS is still about too although i'm sure they are a bit busier these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

delly wrote: »
    How about moving credit card company and getting an introduction period of 0% interest?
    Not as easy as that these days, banks have got a lot tighter and may not offer such a high limit. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

5k is not a savage debt.

I've meet people with a lot more spread across 2+ cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

5k is not a savage debt.

I've meet people with a lot more spread across 2+ cards
    Worse still there are people paying exorbitant PPI insurance on top of this and in many cases they may not even be eligible for a claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement