Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just back from Physio....not great news...not disastrous but not great either.

Rectus Femoris strain (Hip Flexor) She told me to stop running for two weeks and then as a compromise suggested no running mid week with short run at weekend, rest another few days before another short run next week.:(

Two weeks of no running would be a disaster for me now but I suppose I need to guard the injury. Will give the mid week runs a miss and assess where I am for LSR this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's really disappointing RedRunner, but better to miss a a bit of training now, rather than nearer marathon date. Hopefully in a couple of weeks you'll be back to 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    liamog|HH Inter 1|5|4|44.8 km| 194.1 km | Finally managed a morning session, felt pretty good, that and the circuit session on Wednesday means I'm feeling good.
    Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|5|6|100km|467km|All good quality runs, and one monster swim! Recovery week this week :cool:
    RedRunner|HH Inter 1|5|4|27.63m|133.5m| Missed Sat Run due to Niggle, Otherwise Reasonably happy. Couple of niggles though. Physio Beckons.
    Mike D|HH Inter 1|5|5|30.3m|132.8m|Good week and good swim on Monday - definitely feel the benefit of swimming.
    beeduybe|P&D:33-55|5|5|43m|200m|Longest LT run to date went well. Seems to be getting a bit easier... Recovery week ahead.
    Lizzy c|P&D -33-55|5|5|45.21m|184.15m|Week 5 was a good week for me. Good Lactate Threshold Run on Tuesday, and good 16 LSR with 10 miles at MP today. Looking forward to recovery week next week:)
    Skidrow|HH inter1|5|5|30m|129m|Week 5 over. Lucky next week is recovery, weather forecast is sh?te!
    Younganne|Ecolis plan|5|6|41.73m|160.25m| full weeks running completed...14m LRS was a bit tough at the end but got it done, very happy with this weeks running:D|
    run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    D Chief|P&D -55|5|5|69.9km| 332.8km|Second week of holiday in West Clare. Got all 5 scheduled runs done. Found the 26k with 16k PMP tough enough.
    Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    doledude86|HH Inter 2|5|5|34m|125m|Updating after my holidays,14 miles LSR was great
    irfrm|run world|3|5|33.5m|84.5m|Poor week, missed two runs but got 5 mile PB.
    RubyK|no real plan|5|5|37.61m|127.16m|Happy enough with the week, and LSR of 15.04m LSR. Glad to get through it in one piece.
    shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    jester1980|HH IINT 1|5|3|34.5|133|Bad week this week, only 3 runs done but got my 19km LSR in and a good speed session. Had 3 nights out with weddings and work do, thats it until Half marathon now.
    Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|2|6|69km|109km| Fitting in runs before night shift is proving challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    liamog|HH Inter 1|5|4|44.8 km| 194.1 km | Finally managed a morning session, felt pretty good, that and the circuit session on Wednesday means I'm feeling good.
    Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|5|6|100km|467km|All good quality runs, and one monster swim! Recovery week this week :cool:
    RedRunner|HH Inter 1|5|4|27.63m|133.5m| Missed Sat Run due to Niggle, Otherwise Reasonably happy. Couple of niggles though. Physio Beckons.
    Mike D|HH Inter 1|5|5|30.3m|132.8m|Good week and good swim on Monday - definitely feel the benefit of swimming.
    beeduybe|P&D:33-55|5|5|43m|200m|Longest LT run to date went well. Seems to be getting a bit easier... Recovery week ahead.
    Lizzy c|P&D -33-55|5|5|45.21m|184.15m|Week 5 was a good week for me. Good Lactate Threshold Run on Tuesday, and good 16 LSR with 10 miles at MP today. Looking forward to recovery week next week:)
    Skidrow|HH inter1|5|5|30m|129m|Week 5 over. Lucky next week is recovery, weather forecast is sh?te!
    Younganne|Ecolis plan|5|6|41.73m|160.25m| full weeks running completed...14m LRS was a bit tough at the end but got it done, very happy with this weeks running:D|
    D Chief|P&D -55|5|5|69.9km| 332.8km|Second week of holiday in West Clare. Got all 5 scheduled runs done. Found the 26k with 16k PMP tough enough.
    Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    doledude86|HH Inter 2|5|5|34m|125m|Updating after my holidays,14 miles LSR was great
    RubyK|no real plan|5|5|37.61m|127.16m|Happy enough with the week, and LSR of 15.04m LSR. Glad to get through it in one piece.
    shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    jester1980|HH IINT 1|5|3|34.5|133|Bad week this week, only 3 runs done but got my 19km LSR in and a good speed session. Had 3 nights out with weddings and work do, thats it until Half marathon now.
    Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|2|6|69km|109km| Fitting in runs before night shift is proving challenging.
    RedB|P&D - 55|5|5|45M|85M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP:).

Hi folks,

Just entered DCM12 and figured this was the most natural place to log seeing as I started this thread for DCM10. I'm still aiming for sub 3:30 and I'll be giving it my full attention instead of getting distracted by also cycling or swimming ;). I've trained steadily all year for a 1st July Triathlon and then took the first 2 weeks of July off as I was on holidays. I missed the first few weeks of the P&D 55M 18 Week plan so I jumped into the plan for Week 15 on 16th July as my starting week as I had figured I was 15 weeks out from DCM. That was an error as Race Week is separate in the Plan and I then had to jump onto Week 13 the following week. They were 2 very tough weeks to just jump into 'cold' and I paid a price. I drowned in lactate, got blisters and tightened up so much I hurt my back and then my knee. I had to visit a Physical Therapist today (and again next week) but no major harm done thankfully. Luckily Week 12 of the Plan is a recovery week as well. I've managed to stick to the plan so far which is good for me :rolleyes: and been pretty chuffed that I managed the LT sessions and Long Runs with PMP miles as required. I can usually manage slow and steady but break down when the squeeze comes on. Looking forward to the next few months of pure running :).

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

RedB wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just entered DCM12 and figured this was the most natural place to log seeing as I started this thread for DCM10. I'm still aiming for sub 3:30 and I'll be giving it my full attention instead of getting distracted by also cycling or swimming ;). I've trained steadily all year for a 1st July Triathlon and then took the first 2 weeks of July off as I was on holidays. I missed the first few weeks of the P&D 55M 18 Week plan so I jumped into the plan for Week 15 on 16th July as my starting week as I had figured I was 15 weeks out from DCM. That was an error as Race Week is separate in the Plan and I then had to jump onto Week 13 the following week. They were 2 very tough weeks to just jump into 'cold' and I paid a price. I drowned in lactate, got blisters and tightened up so much I hurt my back and then my knee. I had to visit a Physical Therapist today (and again next week) but no major harm done thankfully. Luckily Week 12 of the Plan is a recovery week as well. I've managed to stick to the plan so far which is good for me :rolleyes: and been pretty chuffed that I managed the LT sessions and Long Runs with PMP miles as required. I can usually manage slow and steady but break down when the squeeze comes on. Looking forward to the next few months of pure running :).

Sounds like I could be a bit late saying this but be careful jumping in to that P&D plan cold as the miles ramp up very quickly! The first 20 miler is about 10 weeks before race day so you could well be seeing that soon. I think the first 6 weeks of the plan are all about building strength and endurance so that you can tackle these high miles. Hopefully you're adjusted to it now, and you can just suffer along with the rest of us;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Is it just me, but everytime I go out with a rainjacket it stays dry, and today went out in lovely sunshine only to be well and truely soaked by several downpours !!??
    Heads up, looks like a nasty weekend for running !

Mr.W~

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Fair play Engrish that's inspiring to read, sure loads of time left!

Doing my fourth marathon this year too and hoping to smash the 4 hour mark finally!!

Below is a link to my blog about breaking the 4 hours, got a trainer onboard last week so I'll post up the plan he gives me for August when I get it.
    I made a lot of mistakes last year, had a time of 4.21 but all part of a learning curve! He thinks I could do a 3.30 based on my times this year so the plan will be aimed at that, you could just takes some miles off the plan and work with that, best of luck:)

Dublin Marathon 2012 Break 4 or Bust Blog

www.rorymccauley.com

engrish? wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm joining late! I just started training last week. I'm easing into it.

This will be my fourth marathon. I havent done any running in over a year since a brush with cancer, I'm 2.5 stone heavier now than I was but I am sure I will lose it quick. My pb is 4hrs6mins in Dublin, hoping to crack four hours this year!

I will start to add in my mileage at the end of the week. Fingers crossed for a injury free journey to the Dublin Marathon!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Is it just me, but everytime I go out with a rainjacket it stays dry, and today went out in lovely sunshine only to be well and truely soaked by several downpours !!??

Mr.W~

for all our sakes, please wear your rainjacket out at all times

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

mr.wiggle wrote: »

Mr.W~

I'm getting married next June, how much do you charge to run around a hotel for a couple of hours?

RedRunner|HH Inter 1|6|0|0m|133.5m| No Running. Strained Hip Flexor. Very frustrated! Hoping I can get back running next week.
    RedB|P&D - 55|5|5|45M|85M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Sorry to hear that RedR. I am finding HH inter 1 tough going, starting to feel a few niggles myself. I think I might have to drop or scale back on the Saturday run soon, I will see haow the next 2 weeks go. Hope you a have speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

RedRunner|HH Inter 1|6|0|0m|133.5m| No Running. Strained Hip Flexor. Very frustrated! Hoping I can get back running next week.
    Skidrow|HH inter1|6|5|26m|155m|Week6, even though it was a recovery week I felt I had less zip. Not sure if I can keep up the 5 runs per week.
    [/QUOTE]

Skidrow|HH inter1|6|5|26m|155m|Week6, even though it was a recovery week I felt I had less zip. Not sure if I can keep up the 5 runs per week.
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|3|5|61km|170km| Missed Sat.5mile run, but reckon I needed the rest as speed-work had tightened up hams.First real LSR out o the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|6|4|37.06m|221.21m|Good to have recovery week, as I felt pretty tired. Missed one session, but was able to up milage slightly on other runs to make up for it. Roll on Week 7 (with rest day to begin with :D)
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|3|5|61km|170km| Missed Sat.5mile run, but reckon I needed the rest as speed-work had tightened up hams.First real LSR out o the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Mike D|HH Inter 1|6|5|26.3m|159.1m|Missed my cross session this week but all the runs went ok.
    Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|6|4|37.06m|221.21m|Good to have recovery week, as I felt pretty tired. Missed one session, but was able to up milage slightly on other runs to make up for it. Roll on Week 7 (with rest day to begin with :D)

9 mile today went well enough (apart from a run in with an angry dog:mad:). Forgot to bring a drink but didnt miss it too much - bit dehydrated this afternoon.

What do you guys bring to drink on LSR above say 10 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

That'd bad luck Red, Hopefully a short break will be enough and you'll be back. Plenty of time to get back on Track.
    Best of luck

Skidrow wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that RedR. I am finding HH inter 1 tough going, starting to feel a few niggles myself. I think I might have to drop or scale back on the Saturday run soon, I will see haow the next 2 weeks go. Hope you a have speedy recovery.
    Mike D wrote: »
    That'd bad luck Red, Hopefully a short break will be enough and you'll be back. Plenty of time to get back on Track.
    Best of luck

Thanks to you both. Appreciate that.Things were going so well too. This injury seemed to come out of nowehere. Am seeing bruising now on upper thigh. Want to get back on the road soon but don't want to come back too early either. Might give the Race Series 10 mile a miss now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

liamog|HH Inter 1|6|3|25.0 km| 218.1 km | 2 Decent sessions a twisted ankle, and a couple of days off. Bay 10km today (Monday) so weekend was taking it easy. Pushing for a PB at the race
    Mike D|HH Inter 1|6|5|26.3m|159.1m|Missed my cross session this week but all the runs went ok.

Ran the Bay 10k in 44:10 a great new PB for myself, and matching well with my target for the Marathon according to MacMillan

liamog wrote: »
    Ran the Bay 10k in 44:10 a great new PB for myself, and matching well with my target for the Marathon according to MacMillan

Great running liamog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

HI Guys
    Just wondering is it too late to start a plan for dublin. Ive ran a marathon on june the 30th and completed in a olympic triathlon last week so ive kept fit since june but my longest run was 10 miles last week. Can I squeeze a plan do you think?

Cheers
    Nutzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Redrunner, sorry to hear about your injury, hopefully you caugh it in time and will be back in no time. I mise most of last week due to a calf injury so i know how you feel but i hope to get back to my plan this week.

Nutzzz,

week 7 this week of 18 week plan so check out Hal Higdon marathon training plans and see if you can slot into week 7 without too much difficulty of one of the plans. You say you have kept up fitness but what's your running schedule like, if you can't slot easily into one of the plans it might be difficult further down the line, you'll have to watch for injury if you ramp up your running miles too fast....

Hal higdon Marathion training plans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

liamog|HH Inter 1|6|3|25.0 km| 218.1 km | 2 Decent sessions a twisted ankle, and a couple of days off. Bay 10km today (Monday) so weekend was taking it easy. Pushing for a PB at the race
    Younganne|Ecolis plan|6|2|12.05m|172.30m| only 2 runs this week due to calf injury. hope to get full week in this week|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|6|6|88km|555km|Recovery week worked well. 21-mile run next Sunday :eek:
    Younganne|Ecolis plan|6|2|12.05m|172.30m| only 2 runs this week due to calf injury. hope to get full week in this week|

Recovery week worked well. 21-mile run next Sunday eek.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|6|6|88km|555km|Recovery week worked well. 21-mile run next Sunday :eek:
    irfrm|runners world|4|4|27.5m|102.0m|Poor week, missed two runs,PB for 10 km, need to complete this weeks plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

beeduybe|P&D:33-55|6|6|49m|249m|Slightly higher mileage this week than planned as I had to move my LSR a day forward and therefore moved my first run of following week to Sunday.
    irfrm|runners world|4|4|27.5m|102.0m|Poor week, missed two runs,PB for 10 km, need to complete this weeks plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Am on hols in France since sunday and its roasting. Did 5.5 miles yesterday but nothing today and unlikely to run tomorrow as big meal and drinks tonight. Am getting worried that fitness is going to take a major hammering over next 2 weeks! I hate running when it's too warm.

Am on hols in France since sunday and its roasting. Did 5.5 miles yesterday but nothing today and unlikely to run tomorrow as big meal and drinks tonight. Am getting worried that fitness is going to take a major hammering over next 2 weeks! I hate running when it's too warm.

Hi sw, whats worked for me on hols is to find a nice a/c gym and do 1 to 2 hours of constraining...bike, crosstrainer,treadmill, rowing machine...keep your fitness level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

beeduybe|P&D:33-55|6|6|49m|249m|Slightly higher mileage this week than planned as I had to move my LSR a day forward and therefore moved my first run of following week to Sunday.
    RedB|P&D - 55|6|5|37M|122M|Recovery Week, went to PT with back and knee twinges. Need to do stretches

Recovery week was nice but doing shorter runs felt like cheating. Dreading harder weeks ahead but know that they're never as bad as they seem. One day at a time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Hi folks,

Just reading this thread, some great advice, What's the etiquette for joining the progress table?

Trig

Advertisement