Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

alanking wrote: »
    I've done 1:40 last year and 1:34 in Clontarf (flat but very very warm day). 72mins on tired legs in the 10m.
    Will there be sub 1:30 pacers? Might give it a go and get close to 1:32 - not sure I'm ready for 6:50 pace just yet.

Yeah there are pacers at 1:30, 1;40, 1:50 and 2hrs.
    All will aim to get just under their time targets.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, there'll be 1.30 pacers.

Christ, you are on form today Ray :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

alanking wrote: »
    Hydration Strategy on Marathon day - to belt or not to belt, that is the question!

I'm torn about using the 3-4 bottle belt for the marathon in October - heres my current train of thought:

(1) Dont use the belt:
    Bring Zero hydration tabs and pop them into the water bottles supplied on the course.
    Get used to that sickly Spar Isotonic on next long runs.
    Use iso gels that are supplied on the course.

(2) Bring the belt:
    Use water on the course.
    Fill 1 x 300ml bottle with 3-4 gels and dilute with water.
    Fill 2 x 300ml with a mix of ISO drink and Zero tabs.

Currently have done 20mile long runs wearing a belt - but know that come mile 18 at the higher pace, it could be annoying me.
    Not too sure about that Spar ISO drink though - its tough to take!!

Any advice appreciated or if there are other threads that touch on this that I've missed?

Leave the belt at home, it'll only annoy you on the day. Use the water stations as there are plenty of them and carry gels that you are used to taking. i wouldn't rely on the gels being available as I i don't remember seeing many people handing them out last year and you could miss them.

If you don't like the isotonic drinks then try an alternative than you can stick in your pocket and carry with you on day.

I toyed with the idea of wearing water belt last year but didn't bother in the end and I was glad I did.

Saw physio tonight for Sore Achilles....Icing and calf stretching and should be fine for half this weekend. Happy days. Will return for physio next week though so he can work the achilles a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

beeduybe wrote: »
    No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|11|7|113km|1085.5km|Tough week, saw it through with persistence. Ready to roll for the Race Series Half Marathon.
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|11|4|34.17m|226.43| Back to something near proper training. My Hip injury has now been replaced with a sore achilles but managing to still run.Delighted to get 18 mile LSR in today.Needed that one for the soul!:)
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|11|5|44m|264.1m|Got all my runs in this week so delighted with that! Good 18mile LSR today. Think that the most Ive ever run in a week:)
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|11|5|48m|464m|Wasn't feeling great the start of the week but improved as it went on and was nice to get through a 20 miler feeling strong towards the end. Half marathon next weekend will give me a good indicator for how I'm set for marathon.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|11|54|44.75m|409.66m|Missed LT run, but had a good 20m LSR with some very nice people!!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|11|4|36m|304m|Managed only 4 runs again this week. 18m LSR went well with 2 other Boardsies.:)
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|11|5|37.17m|271.66m|much better this week. got 5 runs done and included 18m LSR, this was a big pyschological boost!!:D|
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|10|5|70.9km|718.4km|Another week down and still on track. Got all 5 scheduled runs done and got out on the bike on Friday. This week is a biggie.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|5|6|30m|155m|step back week this week
    14|irfrm|runners world|8|5|38 m|306m|good week, OH away for week so hard to get all runs in, 5k PB & good 20 m LSR:-)
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|7|5|51km|273.5|Forgotto update last week. Lsr of 15 miles on sunday which went well. Having somone to train with is making life alot easier than when i did on my own before.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|8|1|9km|460km| Disaster strikes last week :( Left calf flared up after Tuesdays short fast session, left me limping badly all last week. Physio yesterday and going for my first run this week. Here's hoping! :(
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|10|5|44M|319M|Recovery Week. Easy week. First time doing VO2 session in a long time so took a few reps to get up to speed. Late night Sat meant Sundays med-long run got bumped out to this morning (Mon) so did half it at PMP on fresh legs.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|11|4|38M|340M|Did an 18 mile long run with last 2 miles @ 6.45, missed 2 sessions with tummy bug
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|11|5|86.81km|734.73km|Glad to get all the runs in. Tiring week but all otherwise well.
    22|engrish?|Build fitness, build speed|2|2|19m|67m|Its getting a bit easier. Managed to keep a sub 10 min pace for 4.5 miles, by mile 9 I was up at 11:30 min. :( Half marathon this week.

Good luck to everybody doing the half tomorrow. Hope we all achieve our goals and get some confidence from good performances

• Advertisement

Lizzy C wrote: »
    beeduybe wrote: »
    Good luck to everybody doing the half tomorrow. Hope we all achieve our goals and get some confidence from good performances

Thanks. Best of luck to you too.:)

I'm no. 9678.....Do say Hello anyone from this thread.

My target was under 2hrs for today for first time ever. Came in at 1:56...absolutely thrilled. Considering my time last year was 2:10 this is great improvement for me.

Felt strong at the end so think I left a bit out there and better times are to come in the future.Tend to run a bit conservatively at times, afraid that I wont have anything left in last mile or two.

Feeling much better now about Marathon and chances of getting close to 4hrs if I can get some good LSRs in over next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

RedRunner wrote: »
    My target was under 2hrs for today for first time ever. Came in at 1:56...absolutely thrilled. Considering my time last year was 2:10 this is great improvement for me.

Felt strong at the end so think I left a bit out there and better times are to come in the future.Tend to run a bit conservatively at times, afraid that I wont have anything left in last mile or two.

Feeling much better now about Marathon and chances of getting close to 4hrs if I can get some good LSRs in over next few weeks.

Good stuff Red, that's a big improvement. I was pleased to shave off a few minutes (nowhere near as many) - had been targeting 1:45 and came in at 1:43. I know what you mean about conservatism - part of it today I think was the random route - I never quite knew how much to keep in reserve for the next bunch of hills. In some cases we must have done the uphill before the downhill - without me realising it! Anyway, I'm now getting impatient for the main event...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EUSTY500

Thanks to the 1:50 pacers today - great work lads :)
    My finishing time was 1:49 with a bit of a cold & all the badness that comes with it. Am I unrealistic in thinking that I might do the marathon in 4hrs?

EUSTY500 wrote: »
    Thanks to the 1:50 pacers today - great work lads :)
    My finishing time was 1:49 with a bit of a cold & all the badness that comes with it. Am I unrealistic in thinking that I might do the marathon in 4hrs?

Well for what it's worth..if i'd have run 1:49 today I'd definitely be thinking of sub 4hrs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Are the guys following P&D <55, doing the 17 Mile LSR today?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

EUSTY500 wrote: »

A common rule used is to double your time for the half and add 10%. In your case, that's 109 minutes by 2.2, which gives 239.8 minutes - 3:59:48! It's a good target to go for, but you need to make sure that you get the LSRs done between now and race day. These rules of thumb are handy, but only really apply if you put the miles in!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Are the guys following P&D <55, doing the 17 Mile LSR today?

Mmmn, not sure yet. I'll definintely try and head out to do something, but my heart is not in 17 miles and legs feel a bit tired after yesterday's race. I reckon if I can manage 8 recovery miles, I'll be happy enough and then start fresh for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Mmmn, not sure yet. I'll definintely try and head out to do something, but my heart is not in 17 miles and legs feel a bit tired after yesterday's race. I reckon if I can manage 8 recovery miles, I'll be happy enough and then start fresh for next week.

For some weekends P&D has a 17 mile LSR the day after a race, but that race should be 8-15k. The idea is that racing anything longer than that would have taken too much out of you for the LSR to be useful. If you pushed yourself yesterday, then that's a good weekends work.

I just took a quick look at P&D, and it says that if you've raced more than 15k, then skip the long run on Sunday. I would say a couple of slow miles today to loosen up the legs (you don't need 8!) and you should be good to go again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

A big thank you to the 1.40 pacers, i stuck to you like glue throughout. Was able to kick on a little up the last hill and finished in 1.39.07. Body felt good as did the legs but had alot of pain in my shoulder (Was in bike accident in June) But my main plan of sub 4 hour marathon has come alot clearer and realistic. If i can get this shoulder sortede in 6 weeks id fancy even 3.50...

Thanks again

jester1980 wrote: »
    A big thank you to the 1.40 pacers, i stuck to you like glue throughout. Was able to kick on a little up the last hill and finished in 1.39.07. Body felt good as did the legs but had alot of pain in my shoulder (Was in bike accident in June) But my main plan of sub 4 hour marathon has come alot clearer and realistic. If i can get this shoulder sortede in 6 weeks id fancy even 3.50...

Thanks again

No worries :D

With a sub 1:40 half though aiming for 4 hours is a bit of a 'soft target'. You should be at least good for 3:45 and probably a little faster.

Yeah do agree it seems a bit soft, when the pain kicks In on the shoulder I have to stop as it agonising so giving myself time for that. But might be better by then, currently going to physio and acupuncture. A 3.45 marathon, bloody hell I'd be over the moon with that.

Which one of the three pacers where you by the way? Nice big crowd around 1.40 which was nice too.

jester1980 wrote: »
    Yeah do agree it seems a bit soft, when the pain kicks In on the shoulder I have to stop as it agonising so giving myself time for that. But might be better by then, currently going to physio and acupuncture. A 3.45 marathon, bloody hell I'd be over the moon with that.

Which one of the three pacers where you by the way? Nice big crowd around 1.40 which was nice too.

I was the one with the yellow shirt :p
    I was the one with the grey hair and glasses. I lost my hat after a mile :o

Ahh yeah, i ran beside you for a mile and a half before the last hill, i was the tall fella in all black. Got to thank you at the end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|11|7|113km|1085.5km|Tough week, saw it through with persistence. Ready to roll for the Race Series Half Marathon.
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|11|4|34.17m|226.43| Back to something near proper training. My Hip injury has now been replaced with a sore achilles but managing to still run.Delighted to get 18 mile LSR in today.Needed that one for the soul!:)
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|11|5|44m|264.1m|Got all my runs in this week so delighted with that! Good 18mile LSR today. Think that the most Ive ever run in a week:)
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|11|5|48m|464m|Wasn't feeling great the start of the week but improved as it went on and was nice to get through a 20 miler feeling strong towards the end. Half marathon next weekend will give me a good indicator for how I'm set for marathon.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|11|54|44.75m|409.66m|Missed LT run, but had a good 20m LSR with some very nice people!!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|12|3|23.6m|328m|2x5m and Half this week.
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|11|5|37.17m|271.66m|much better this week. got 5 runs done and included 18m LSR, this was a big pyschological boost!!:D|
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|10|5|70.9km|718.4km|Another week down and still on track. Got all 5 scheduled runs done and got out on the bike on Friday. This week is a biggie.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    14|irfrm|runners world|8|5|38 m|306m|good week, OH away for week so hard to get all runs in, 5k PB & good 20 m LSR:-)
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|7|5|51km|273.5|Forgotto update last week. Lsr of 15 miles on sunday which went well. Having somone to train with is making life alot easier than when i did on my own before.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|8|1|9km|460km| Disaster strikes last week :( Left calf flared up after Tuesdays short fast session, left me limping badly all last week. Physio yesterday and going for my first run this week. Here's hoping! :(
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|10|5|44M|319M|Recovery Week. Easy week. First time doing VO2 session in a long time so took a few reps to get up to speed. Late night Sat meant Sundays med-long run got bumped out to this morning (Mon) so did half it at PMP on fresh legs.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|11|4|38M|340M|Did an 18 mile long run with last 2 miles @ 6.45, missed 2 sessions with tummy bug
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|11|5|86.81km|734.73km|Glad to get all the runs in. Tiring week but all otherwise well.
    22|engrish?|Build fitness, build speed|2|2|19m|67m|Its getting a bit easier. Managed to keep a sub 10 min pace for 4.5 miles, by mile 9 I was up at 11:30 min. :( Half marathon this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Did the Half in 1:48:48. I ran 1 sec slower per mile than Frank Duffy 10m. A bit gutted that I could not beat last years time of 1:48:34. frown.png
    Gambled on going out with 1:40 pacers but had to let them go at 2.5m. Found it tough keeping up the pace for the rest of the race and gave it everytrhing from mile 10 for PB, but not to be.
    May Would have been a better idea to stick with 1:50 pacers and go for PB after 10m mark.
    Scary moment - got stuck in the middle of the packed 1:40 pacer group bombing down the narrow Kyber, scarier when we had to burst through the wave 1 slow runners as we hit the bottom of the hill. I think race should have started further up Chesterfield so it would have been a bit more strung out by the time we hit the Kyber.
    Thought the course was well suited to PBs and great to see so many achieved that.
    Well done to everyone involved in running these fantastic events.smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|12|5|35m|299.1m|Got all my runs in this week and a swim on Monday. Looking forward to the 20m LSR on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|12|4|75.63km|810.36km|A chaotic week on the home front, and with the Dublin Half thrown in, but managed to get the target miles in. Happy with a 1:43:29 in the Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|12|6|42M|382M|Did a 20 mile long run, went well, very happy with that week
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|12|4|75.63km|810.36km|A chaotic week on the home front, and with the Dublin Half thrown in, but managed to get the target miles in. Happy with a 1:43:29 in the Half.

3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|12|4|32.81m|259.24| Nice to get two decent weeks in a row done. 2nd PB in HM in two weeks too.Hopefully get a full week in next week including a big 2o.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|12|6|42M|382M|Did a 20 mile long run, went well, very happy with that week

Something that may amuse you all to add.My wife and kids just don't get the running thing and I'm not saying they haven't been supportive, they have in their own inimitable way, mostly by taking the pi** out of me. Lots of banter about the houes about my training and races etc but they now have a new nickname for me......."Boards"...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hey,

Could someone post or PM me this weeks P and D 35 - 55 schedule? Away at the moment and don't have the book to hand. It's be greatly appreciated! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

Well done to all those who took part in the half on Sunday.

I set off with the 1:30 pacers, with the intention of getting myself in under 1:35 (previous PB) - I hung on at the 6:50 pace until mile 6-7 then off they went into the distance! (At that stage my trip to Ikea on the Friday and the 3 hours assembling bookcases and lockers seemed like a very bad idea!)
    Luckily I brought my water belt with me as the water stations were 'difficult' - I find drinking from cups at 'speed' breaks up the running ryhthm!
    I went through 10 miles a good 3 mins faster than I finished the 10m race 3 weeks ago - which felt good!
    Looking at my garmin times, the slowest mile from me was a 7:45 just when we exited the park (1min per mile slower than I started - but I gave myself a kick in the butt and picked it up for the last 2.5 miles. Done well over the hills at 7:25 per mile (but my God, they were tough)and had a good burst at the finish. Finished at 1:34:10 for a new PB - also took 6 mins off my time from last year.

Now - my learnings from this race:
    (1) Dont go to Ikea the day before - just rest!
    (2) Need to incorporate some leg strength work into my training - maybe more hill repeats and some basic squats!
    (3) Chews dont work for me - not running hard anyway - too difficult to chew and swallow and they make me more thirsty.
    (4) Need to work on Gels - I hate them, but I've just got to practice taking them.

Roll on next Sat - another 20miler with 7 at PMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hey,

Could someone post or PM me this weeks P and D 35 - 55 schedule? Away at the moment and don't have the book to hand. It's be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Attached!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|12|4|32.81m|259.24| Nice to get two decent weeks in a row done. 2nd PB in HM in two weeks too.Hopefully get a full week in next week including a big 2o.
    14|irfrm|runners world|10|5|46 m|352m|good week, all runs done, good 16 m LSR.

Looking forward to Charleville half marathon next Sunday after reading all boardies reports from Dublin half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

14|irfrm|runners world|10|5|46 m|352m|good week, all runs done, good 16 m LSR.
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|12|5|51M|425M| Challenging week. Feeling off all week and low energy and motivation as a result. Did a 10km race Sat and took approx 1min off my PB so happy with that but took it out of me. 17M long run was tough to start as a result but after a slow paced start it felt good for the middle and end.

Advertisement