Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

4m recovery run in the rain, with my dog. Loved it....no really, I did!! :-)

Can understand that - spent about 20 minutes before lunch looking out the window in work trying to decide whether to go out or not. Went for 5 miles along the canal and loved it - almost didn't need the shower when I came back - was wet through ! Exhilarating although I did get some funny looks running along with a smile on my face in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

kit3 wrote: »
    4m recovery run in the rain, with my dog. Loved it....no really, I did!! :-)

Can understand that - spent about 20 minutes before lunch looking out the window in work trying to decide whether to go out or not. Went for 5 miles along the canal and loved it - almost didn't need the shower when I came back - was wet through ! Exhilarating although I did get some funny looks running along with a smile on my face in the end.

DCM must be close judging by the amount of runners out tonight in that rain. Any other time of the year, the streets would be deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|13|7|89.14km|1284.89km|Quick recovery from Dublin Half, did high mileage again at week start, tapered towards the end for Rathfarnham 5km on Sunday and finished in 19:54, first time to break 20 smile.png Next week is the last of the big high mileage weeks for me. Have pencilled myself in for sub-3:15 for DCM.
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|13|4|40.09m|299.33| Good Week.Happy with 20 mile LSR today. Confidence up now for DCM
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|13|5|43m|342.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Really pleased with 20m LSR as I felt good after and I'm usually in a heap! Tried for 10min mile pace and averaged 9.50. Swim today was very beneficial.
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|13|5|49m|563m|Another good weeks training including a 20 miler with 10 miles at MP
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|13|5|52.52m|488.31m|Had a good week this week. LSR of 18 with 12 @ MP went ok I guess, but I wouldn't describe it as "comfortable" :rolleyes:
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|13|4|37m|365m|Great week, 19m LSR @10min pace went well today, strong finish:).
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|13|5|42.78|351.45|20m LSR done, happy enough with 10.05 avg pace!!:D|
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|10|5|70.9km|718.4km|Another week down and still on track. Got all 5 scheduled runs done and got out on the bike on Friday. This week is a biggie.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|5|6|30m|155m|step back week this week
    14|irfrm|runners world|11|4|31 m|383m|Poor week with missing a few runs and cutting miles, Charleville half marathon yesterday PB 1:29. Deligted with steady splits and feeling good all the way around. Tough week ahead with 21 mile LSR on Sat.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|12|4|63km|511.5|20 MIle run done on sat at a nice slow pace 9.30 min miles. Shoulder gave me little grief this week which is good, had physio and accupunture on it.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|10|6|69km|609km| What a week. Got all runs in even though I was feeling tired and sluggish all week. Finished off with a pb sub 1hr32m Half-Marathon in Charleville this morning:D
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|5|5|55M|480M|Tough Week. Still feeling a bit under the weather with migraines and eye strain. Went for eye test but no problem there. Might be not enough sleep as only getting 6-6.5hrs last while. Changed training plan at weekend and got a good tough long run done. Tired still :rolleyes:.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|13|4|26|408M|Slight setback with calf injury, luckily this was a recovery week.
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|13|5|81.24km|891.60km|Generally squeezed all the runs in, minus a km here and a km there. Nothing much to report otherwise, still on track.
    22|engrish?|Build fitnes, build speed|2|2|31m|98m|Hurt my back getting out of bed a week ago so no runs for a few more days...
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|10|5|49m|553m|Great weeks running, my highest milage yet, good tempo sessions and speed sessions midweek, followed by really good LSR on Sun 20m@8:03. Just need to be careful I dont get carried away and overtrain.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just wondering why you think 4hrs is beyond you? MacMillan calculator would have you at 3:51:40.

Even allowing for it being inaccurate there is still some headroom for you I would say.....maybe?

I think my confidence is a bit low - last year I ran a 1:51:55 half, and a 4:10:32 marathon. This year I ran a 1:50:05 half, so I'm not convinced that translates into a sub-four marathon. Having said that I have trained WAY more this year (last year was a bit haphazard). Even though my times have improved, I thought I might see more improvement, given that I've been out pounding the pavements like nobody's business :rolleyes:
    So I'm not sure....

Skidrow wrote: »
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|12|3|26.13m|4359.79m|Lowest mileage week so far. Did a PB in half marathon - 1:50:05....now wondering if sub 4 hours is beyond me:(

Well done Lizzy on HM PB.
    There is a 20m race in Eastpoint Sunday 30th, might give you a good idea as to your marathon pace. www.eco2run.com
    Obviously your trianing has gone well, hence your HM PB. Sub 4 is within your grasp, you can do it.

Hi Skidrow - sorry I missed you on Saturday, P & D had me doing some of my LSR at MP, so I couldn't join you.
    I'm not sure about this - wouldn't a 20 mile race be too much at this stage? I see that one can do 5, 10, 15 or 20 mile race. The plan has a race on Saturday and a 17m LSR on Sunday - is anybody else doing P&D doing this and how are they substituting the programme for this?

I guess you could race 10 miles of it or 15 miles of it. I'm worried about missing another LSR, but I guess a race is better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Hi Skidrow - sorry I missed you on Saturday, P & D had me doing some of my LSR at MP, so I couldn't join you.
    I'm not sure about this - wouldn't a 20 mile race be too much at this stage? I see that one can do 5, 10, 15 or 20 mile race. The plan has a race on Saturday and a 17m LSR on Sunday - is anybody else doing P&D doing this and how are they substituting the programme for this?

I guess you could race 10 miles of it or 15 miles of it. I'm worried about missing another LSR, but I guess a race is better?

Yes, I think you're right, 20m race would be nuts at this stage.

I am not familiar with the P&D plan, someone else might advise you on that.

HH inter 1 has 13m this weekend and 20m following weekend. I think I will stick with that.

One of the Saturday group suggested running the second half of the marathon route, maybe this weekend.

I find this year that I am much stronger in the second half of LSRs than I was last year, so if you get your pacing right in the first half your sub 4 will follow. Keep the belief:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jimh wrote: »
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|12|7|111.35km|1196.40km|A very high mileage start to the week which tapered off towards the end. Did the Half Marathon on Saturday and got PBs in every distance, including a Half PB of 1:34:55. Same format this week, ending in Sunday's Rathfarnham 5km - not really a target race for a marathon plan, but keeps the motivation going.
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|13|4|40.09m|299.33| Good Week.Happy with 20 mile LSR today. Confidence up now for DCM
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|12|5|35m|299.1m|Got all my runs in this week and a swim on Monday. Looking forward to the 20m LSR:)
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|11|5|48m|464m|Wasn't feeling great the start of the week but improved as it went on and was nice to get through a 20 miler feeling strong towards the end. Half marathon next weekend will give me a good indicator for how I'm set for marathon.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|12|3|26.13m|4359.79m|Lowest mileage week so far. Did a PB in half marathon - 1:50:05....now wondering if sub 4 hours is beyond me:(
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|13|4|37m|365m|Great week, 19m LSR @10min pace went well today, strong finish:).
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|11|5|37.17m|271.66m|much better this week. got 5 runs done and included 18m LSR, this was a big pyschological boost!!:D|
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|10|5|70.9km|718.4km|Another week down and still on track. Got all 5 scheduled runs done and got out on the bike on Friday. This week is a biggie.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|5|6|30m|155m|step back week this week
    14|irfrm|runners world|10|5|46 m|352m|good week, all runs done, good 16 m LSR.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|7|5|51km|273.5|Forgotto update last week. Lsr of 15 miles on sunday which went well. Having somone to train with is making life alot easier than when i did on my own before.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|10|6|69km|609km| What a week. Got all runs in even though I was feeling tired and sluggish all week. Finished off with a pb sub 1hr32m Half-Marathon in Charleville this morning:D
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|10|5|44M|319M|Recovery Week. Easy week. First time doing VO2 session in a long time so took a few reps to get up to speed. Late night Sat meant Sundays med-long run got bumped out to this morning (Mon) so did half it at PMP on fresh legs.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|12|6|42M|382M|Did a 20 mile long run, went well, very happy with that week
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|13|5|81.24km|891.60km|Generally squeezed all the runs in, minus a km here and a km there. Nothing much to report otherwise, still on track.
    22|engrish?|Build fitnes, build speed|2|2|19m|67m|Its getting a bit easier. Managed to keep a sub 10 min pace for 4.5 miles, by mile 9 I was up at 11:30 min. :( Half marathon this week.
    23|alanking|Run Republic|09|4|37m|504m|11m tempo on Monday then kept intensity low enough but needed a 15*200m to fire up the tired legs. 1:34 in the HM. Happy with that!
    24|jimh|Marathon guru|08|5|50m|613Km|5 x 1Km reps Tues -19Km Wed-10K in 52Min Thu - 27Km Sat- 17 Km Sun

4 Consecutive 50+Mile weeks now

Think you might need to go back and quote a more recent table before adding your update ! Things have moved on a bit since this one.

I think my confidence is a bit low - last year I ran a 1:51:55 half, and a 4:10:32 marathon. This year I ran a 1:50:05 half, so I'm not convinced that translates into a sub-four marathon. Having said that I have trained WAY more this year (last year was a bit haphazard). Even though my times have improved, I thought I might see more improvement, given that I've been out pounding the pavements like nobody's business :rolleyes:
    So I'm not sure....

I know what you mean. I think going by your mileage this year though you are well on the way. If all conditions are right on the day I'm sure you can do it.
    I'm in a similar situation myself . At beginning of year goal was a sub 4hr marathon but injury put an end to that. My new target is 4:15.
    Last year i did 4:45 after a 2:10 half time in race series. This year I did 1:56 in the half. Do you think 4:15 is realistic for me?
    Like you, my mileage is well up this year(not quite as much as yours though) in comparison to last year so I'm hopeful.

Yes, I think you're right, 20m race would be nuts at this stage.

I am not familiar with the P&D plan, someone else might advise you on that.

HH inter 1 has 13m this weekend and 20m following weekend. I think I will stick with that.

One of the Saturday group suggested running the second half of the marathon route, maybe this weekend.

I find this year that I am much stronger in the second half of LSRs than I was last year, so if you get your pacing right in the first half your sub 4 will follow. Keep the belief:).

That sounds like a great idea Skidrow.Wouldn't mind joining you(if you don't mind the company) on that one if your projected pace and my domestic schedule allowed it. Would you be doing it on the Sunday per HHInter1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

P&D want you to do the LSR on tired legs after the race the day before. If you can't find a race do a time trial. If you really want to do the 20 mile race treat it as a training run and run it at your training pace possibly as a dress rehearsal of the marathon itself (but still do the time trial/race the day before!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

interesting that P&D do step back weeks. I'm following a hybrid plan from Runners World & Run Republic (Plan from RR but specific 3:15 timings from RW) and they have no step back weeks.

I've started reading P&D and find it very informative - technical, but informative.

Had my highest milage last week (50m with many tempos & speedwork) - tempted to wind it back a little this week in terms of milage & intensity (40m with no speed work) and do a big high intensity 50m week before taper.

This is breaking plan - but I cant see it damaging me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm thinking of doing the 20 mile eco2run race on Sunday in Eastpoint. I'm scheduled for a 20 miler this Sunday anyway and I have a pain in my ass running alone, so I think this might give me a bit of motivation.
    QUOTE]

Hi Cambo,

Fed up running on your own?
    Check out the "Group Training Sessions - Where & When"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449727&page=156

You will get a warm welcome and plenty of support on these runs. I have used them a few times , great to have a bit of company for longer runs.

Thanks...yeah, I have tried to make these a couple of times but it's always either the wrong day or wrong time or wrong distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Clearlier wrote: »
    I corrected my earlier post by saying that I had seen people do 20 in 2:10 (not 3:10) and follow it up with a 3:10 marathon. Minor but significant change!

42 min 10k is heading towards a 3:15 time but the 75 min 10 miler suggests that you'd be pushing it to get to 3:30. Assuming that you had a similar fitness level for both races it also strongly suggests that you lack endurance.

I have had a quick look at the HH Inter 1 plan and it seems to me that it's targeting the marathon by making your two hardest runs of the week back to back at the weekend. If you have more or less followed the plan to this point then I think that you should stick to it. Do the pace run the day before and treat the 20 mile race as a supported training run. He talks about 3/1 runs where you run the last quarter of the race a bit faster than the first 3 quarters. He suggested a range of 30 to 90 seconds slower than PMP. Given that I wouldn't go any faster than 9mm for the first 15 miles and 8:30 for the last 5. The purpose of the runs within the schedule is to build endurance and within this particular plan it's very important that you do the pace run the day before so that you're already starting on relatively tired legs.

P.S. I didn't mean to suggest that your target was soft - I was more trying to point out that running 20 miles at PMP would be very difficult - I could have made that point a bit more carefully though. In fact, given your times for 10k and 10 miles you'll need a fair fitness boost between then and the marathon to hit 3:30 - entirely doable though.

Thanks you Clearlier for going the extra mile, as it were, on the advice. I'll do as you suggest. I was just worried that, come the day, I wouldn't be able to hack 26 miles at 8mm when I'd never done it before. I think I had a similar anxiety last year when doing my first one that I wouldn't last the distance. I guess it's just nerves.

About the 10 mile time, that was just a training run that I did myself and just set 75 minutes as a goal. I reckon I could've done 70-72 in a race situation. Interesting thought that you think I might lack endurance. I honestly thought that was one think I was ok on, that it was the speed I was lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks you Clearlier for going the extra mile, as it were, on the advice. I'll do as you suggest. I was just worried that, come the day, I wouldn't be able to hack 26 miles at 8mm when I'd never done it before. I think I had a similar anxiety last year when doing my first one that I wouldn't last the distance. I guess it's just nerves.

About the 10 mile time, that was just a training run that I did myself and just set 75 minutes as a goal. I reckon I could've done 70-72 in a race situation. Interesting thought that you think I might lack endurance. I honestly thought that was one think I was ok on, that it was the speed I was lacking.

70 mins would be about right for a 42 min 10k and wouldn't really indicate any endurance issues, 72 mins would indicate that there's room for improvement thought not nearly as much as 75 :D. All of this assumes that all other things are equal including fitness and conditions which is almost never the case.

That sounds like a great idea Skidrow.Wouldn't mind joining you(if you don't mind the company) on that one if your projected pace and my domestic schedule allowed it. Would you be doing it on the Sunday per HHInter1

Will let you know plan Thr. I don't normally do roads/paths, usually the park.

Early start , 8am ok ?
    Anyone else interested ?

Will let you know plan Thr. I don't normally do roads/paths, usually the park.

Early start , 8am ok ?
    Anyone else interested ?

Yeah sure early start fine with me. I'll need a few things to fall into place for weekend before I can confirm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

Think you might need to go back and quote a more recent table before adding your update ! Things have moved on a bit since this one.

I used the one directly above mine

I used the one directly above mine

Sorry JimH ,not intended as a criticism. Its happened to me a couple of times where it seems other people were updating at the same time as me and when I see the table after posting it someone else seems to have got in there before me and I have to go back and edit my version.

6 miles last night.
    Bit of a messy run as I was undecided if I should do an interval session or not, due to changing last weeks lsr from say to sun.
    Between the jigs and the reels and mix ups with wifey, We (me and the dog)set off on an interval session, the pitches in Porterstown has a nice path that is exactly a 1m loop.
    After a warm up, I set off on the 1st interval, thigh was a bit 'tight', but kept going. 2nd interval I felt tired, ok, maybe this was too close to last weeks lsr. Stopped running, changed the workout on the garmin and decided to do a nice 3 mile run.
    Turns out 2 or the 3 miles were as fast as my proposed interval session........all in the head methinks.
    Not a great warm down due to time pressures, but about 6.5m in total. And no rain!

Not doing tonights 5 mile run as have been struck down with the manflu. Sipping on lemsip as we speak. Hopefully lots of fluids and VitC will put an end to it and can get out tomorrow again.

Sports massage booked for tomorrow too to loosen up the muscles after last weekends 20 miler.

I have a question too on taper. ANy views on a 2 week taper vs three week taper. I've missed at least 16/17 runs of my plan due to injury which leaves me about 125 miles behind. If I delay taper by a week to catch up on some of that mileage ,would that be a good or bad idea? Would I get any real benefit from the extra mileage for that one week?

• Advertisement

I know what you mean. I think going by your mileage this year though you are well on the way. If all conditions are right on the day I'm sure you can do it.
    I'm in a similar situation myself . At beginning of year goal was a sub 4hr marathon but injury put an end to that. My new target is 4:15.
    Last year i did 4:45 after a 2:10 half time in race series. This year I did 1:56 in the half. Do you think 4:15 is realistic for me?
    Like you, my mileage is well up this year(not quite as much as yours though) in comparison to last year so I'm hopeful.

You should definintely do that time - using the double your half marathon time and adding 10% adds to 255 mins, which is exactly 4 hours 15 mins. Plus you'll gain in fitness over the next few weeks. You'll have a better experience if you go with 4:15 pacers and then push on, as opposed to doing what I did - keep with the 4 hour pacers until about mile 16, then proceed to go through a bit of a crisis from miles 16-20 during which I questioned what I was even doing running a marathon, before getting it back, and losing about 10 mins along the way. I sometimes think if I had gone with the 4:15 and pushed on, I would have finished in the same time I did, but had a better experience. Anyway, we're all on a (steep - for me) learning curve!
    By the way, my mileage wasn't really up over 4000 miles - I made a mistake updating the table :o

You should definintely do that time - using the double your half marathon time and adding 10% adds to 255 mins, which is exactly 4 hours 15 mins. Plus you'll gain in fitness over the next few weeks. You'll have a better experience if you go with 4:15 pacers and then push on, as opposed to doing what I did - keep with the 4 hour pacers until about mile 16, then proceed to go through a bit of a crisis from miles 16-20 during which I questioned what I was even doing running a marathon, before getting it back, and losing about 10 mins along the way. I sometimes think if I had gone with the 4:15 and pushed on, I would have finished in the same time I did, but had a better experience. Anyway, we're all on a (steep - for me) learning curve!
    By the way, my mileage wasn't really up over 4000 miles - I made a mistake updating the table :o

Thanks Lizzy. I'll go with the 4:15 pacers. I'm all for a good marathon experience.:) I did think the 4000 miles was a bit high alright..but I reckoned P&D was higher mileage than HHinter1 anyway so youd have covered enough miles to achieve your target. Best of luck with the 4hr target...no bother to ya.

Thanks Lizzy. I'll go with the 4:15 pacers. I'm all for a good marathon experience.:) I did think the 4000 miles was a bit high alright..but I reckoned P&D was higher mileage than HHinter1 anyway so youd have covered enough miles to achieve your target. Best of luck with the 4hr target...no bother to ya.

Sound advice form Lizzy.
    I went with the wrong pacers in the Half, the 10 miler and my last marathon. Didn't enjoy any of those races. Ended up finishing not far ahead of the next slower pacers. If I had gone with the slower pacers I would have been able to push on later in the race and probably get as good a time and enjoyed the run much better.

12m tonight in Ph Park @ 8m/m pace. Legs a bit tight and niggly up to mile 5, then ok after that, but going to take 2 days off, might even do some stretching!!
    Normally play 5 aside on Thursdays, but due to increased milage, the risk of over training is high, so I'm knocking this on the head til November.
    Feeling good about my running, love these 10-12m midweek tempos, roll on Saturdays LFR (fast!! 18m with 14@mp)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

only a few weeks to go, how is everyone getting on, Are any of you doubting your ability like i am? I'm similar to LizzyC in that i'm not sure i am capable of sub 4, got 1.49.41 in the half but it was a tough run. I did 4.27 last year and i'm afraid i'm trying to take too much time of it this year. Having said that i have continued with my training sime last years mmarathon with a few missed weekd here and there with Sinus trouble over the summer.
    I'm thinking of 4.15 pacers and then pushing on ...

Younganne wrote: »
    only a few weeks to go, how is everyone getting on, Are any of you doubting your ability like i am? I'm similar to LizzyC in that i'm not sure i am capable of sub 4, got 1.49.41 in the half but it was a tough run. I did 4.27 last year and i'm afraid i'm trying to take too much time of it this year. Having said that i have continued with my training sime last years mmarathon with a few missed weekd here and there with Sinus trouble over the summer.

Isn't normal to doubt our ability at this stage.
    I was in the same boat, but went through my training logs (thank you Garmin) and compared my training now to last year. No comparison really.
    I'm doing more quality milage this year, more mid week long runs, better and faster LSR on weekends. Gave me a lot of confidence just by looking at the facts and comparing my training.
    I'm sure you are in the same boat!

For me, I blew up early lastr year with cramp - I've got this doubt in my head that the cramp wasn't physiological but more psycological!
    Think I'll incorporate a counsellor into my training............... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Younganne wrote: »

You should be grand for sub-4, seriously... your half is much better than what mine was when I went sub-4 in Barcelona and your training has been really solid. Time to start believing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ye i know its about good postivie attitude and i usually have one, but so far in two marathons i have succeeded in Not hitting the wall and i'm terrified that this will be the year that i do, because I'm chasing a time this yearthe other years was just about running and enjoying the experience. Now its getting "serious":rolleyes:

Yes i will believe. Thanks as always for the support guys!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EUSTY500

Hi Anne, I think its normal to feel a bit of burnout - I've been running the same roads week in, week out for nearly a year at this stage & I'm getting a little bored now. Also, the summer is over, the weather is changing & the TV schedule is getting better... Only 4 weeks to go though & to be honest, the hard work has been done now. I ran almost the exact same time as you in the half & I'm definitely going for the sub-4. I'm gonna stick to those pacers like glue - it worked for me in the half (I never let them out of my sight) & I think it's a good way to keep the momentum going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

@Younganne: There is no doubt in my mind that you are well able for sub 4. Your training has been pretty consistent over the last 10 months and you have the strength. We are plugging away at the marathon specific sessions at the moment and hitting the paces and the strength will be there so dont worry about the wall you gonna meet it and bull doze through.

Its fairly normal to start to question the ability but just remember that at the moment you are running sessions on tired legs and a lot of people forget this. The plan you have been working off doesn't have recovery days planned the day before your long runs so you will benefit from the taper and will give you an extra umph.

Also remember the Dublin Half was a tough enough course with the last three miles climbing so to PB on it shows you had great strength which will be a factor come race day

Advertisement