Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

EUSTY500 wrote: »
    Hi Anne, I think its normal to feel a bit of burnout - I've been running the same roads week in, week out for nearly a year at this stage & I'm getting a little bored now. Also, the summer is over, the weather is changing & the TV schedule is getting better... Only 4 weeks to go though & to be honest, the hard work has been done now. I ran almost the exact same time as you in the half & I'm definitely going for the sub-4. I'm gonna stick to those pacers like glue - it worked for me in the half (I never let them out of my sight) & I think it's a good way to keep the momentum going.

I would say change it up and keep it interesting new courses as often as you can even run your normal route in reverse. If you getting bored the little things can help because when you find things a little tiresome its gonna take its toll and the few weeks prior to the taper are often the most important in any plan.

Also dont look to the taper as a time to shut off. Too many people go over board and end up being stale come race day. Best advice I can give is reduce the volume but not intensity in training and do this gradually (80%, 70% 50% mileage are rough guides in three weeks prior to the race I usually go by with my athletes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Regarding people being 'bored' with the 'same old same old', I Found this interesting post - although it was in the Sub 3 forum, I can incorporate this into my current plan fairly easily.
    The 1st workout looks very interesting - I reckon about 13 miles in total - might aim for this on the long run or medium long run in mid October. Or incorporate into the 22 mile run on 6th?

Originally Posted by tergat

1) warm up 1-2 miles, run 4,3,2,1 mile at Marathon Pace (be realistic), rest (jog*) 2-3 minutes between each, warm-down 1-2 miles (Do this 3 weeks out from Marathon*)
    2) warm up 1-2 miles, run 5-6 x 1 mile at Lactate Threshold Pace, jog 1-2 minutes between each, warm-down 1-2 miles (Do this 2 weeks out from Marathon*)
    3) warm up 1-2 miles, run 2 x 1 mile at 10k pace, jog 2 minutes between, 1-2 miles warm down (Do this 1 week out from Marathon*)

* included from other posts Tergat made on these workouts, subsequent to the post.

I'm by no means advocating changing your plan - but a bit of variation (of within the plan) may help to get us through the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ecoli wrote: »
    @Younganne: There is no doubt in my mind that you are well able for sub 4. Your training has been pretty consistent over the last 10 months and you have the strength. We are plugging away at the marathon specific sessions at the moment and hitting the paces and the strength will be there so dont worry about the wall you gonna meet it and bull doze through.

Its fairly normal to start to question the ability but just remember that at the moment you are running sessions on tired legs and a lot of people forget this. The plan you have been working off doesn't have recovery days planned the day before your long runs so you will benefit from the taper and will give you an extra umph.

Also remember the Dublin Half was a tough enough course with the last three miles climbing so to PB on it shows you had great strength which will be a factor come race day

As always Ecoil, you can see the wood from the trees.Yes the legs are fairly tired at the moment and hence the mind working in overdrive. It will be fun come Taper time!!
    Thank you.:D

PS looks like i got into London via the lottery draw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Skipped run again tonight.Its killing me but probably right thing to do since still not felling a 100%.Listening to the body as want to get a decent LSR in at weekend

Had a sports massage today. The ould ITB definitely needed some attention. The pain! Brought tears to the eyes.

Nice easy 7 miles in Ph park, included the Kyber and the Fury Glen for some hill work. A couple of quick miles included, but overall nice and slow. 7m@8:15

Left knee still not great, can't quite put my finger on what it is. Done a lot of foam rolling on both legs and a good 15-20 min stretching routine. Felt great afterwards.
    ** note to self: Stretch more!

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Had a sports massage today. The ould ITB definitely needed some attention. The pain! Brought tears to the eyes.

Foam rolled today and could not believe the pain in my ITB, even though its not impacting me, it's definitely tight and hurt on the foam roller. Pain is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Thinking of doing the Cork to Cobh 15 mile run on Oct.7th.
    My plan has a 22 mile LSR scheduled for that day. Its the longest distance
    LSR, going down to 18 then 12 then marathon..
    Could I do it instead as a 15 mile MP run and maybe do the extra miles at a slower pace prior to the start line?
    Or is it too close to the Marathon date to be entering a race?

Thx. Mr.W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the Cork to Cobh 15 mile run on Oct.7th.
    My plan has a 22 mile LSR scheduled for that day. Its the longest distance
    LSR, going down to 18 then 12 then marathon..
    Could I do it instead as a 15 mile MP run and maybe do the extra miles at a slower pace prior to the start line?
    Or is it too close to the Marathon date to be entering a race?

Thx. Mr.W

My advice would be to take a look at what you have done so far and see which one do you feel you need more. Time on your feet is important if you are worried about your endurance but if the pace is the problem and you fear that you dont have enough MP work done up until now I would go with that its all about fine tuning to a degree at this stage.

It wouldnt be too close as many plans with a 3 week taper would be designed with either Longest run or longest MP running on that weekend as your last big session so you would go from that into your taper.

If the plan has served you well till now though I would suggest stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|13|7|89.14km|1284.89km|Quick recovery from Dublin Half, did high mileage again at week start, tapered towards the end for Rathfarnham 5km on Sunday and finished in 19:54, first time to break 20 smile.png Next week is the last of the big high mileage weeks for me. Have pencilled myself in for sub-3:15 for DCM.
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|13|4|40.09m|299.33| Good Week.Happy with 20 mile LSR today. Confidence up now for DCM
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|13|5|43m|342.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Really pleased with 20m LSR as I felt good after and I'm usually in a heap! Tried for 10min mile pace and averaged 9.50. Swim today was very beneficial.
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|13|5|49m|563m|Another good weeks training including a 20 miler with 10 miles at MP
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|13|5|52.52m|488.31m|Had a good week this week. LSR of 18 with 12 @ MP went ok I guess, but I wouldn't describe it as "comfortable" :rolleyes:
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|13|4|37m|365m|Great week, 19m LSR @10min pace went well today, strong finish:).
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|13|5|42.78|351.45|20m LSR done, happy enough with 10.05 avg pace!!:D|
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|10|5|70.9km|718.4km|Another week down and still on track. Got all 5 scheduled runs done and got out on the bike on Friday. This week is a biggie.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|11|4|31 m|383m|Poor week with missing a few runs and cutting miles, Charleville half marathon yesterday PB 1:29. Deligted with steady splits and feeling good all the way around. Tough week ahead with 21 mile LSR on Sat.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|12|4|63km|511.5|20 MIle run done on sat at a nice slow pace 9.30 min miles. Shoulder gave me little grief this week which is good, had physio and accupunture on it.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|10|6|69km|609km| What a week. Got all runs in even though I was feeling tired and sluggish all week. Finished off with a pb sub 1hr32m Half-Marathon in Charleville this morning:D
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|5|5|55M|480M|Tough Week. Still feeling a bit under the weather with migraines and eye strain. Went for eye test but no problem there. Might be not enough sleep as only getting 6-6.5hrs last while. Changed training plan at weekend and got a good tough long run done. Tired still :rolleyes:.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|13|4|26|408M|Slight setback with calf injury, luckily this was a recovery week.
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|13|5|81.24km|891.60km|Generally squeezed all the runs in, minus a km here and a km there. Nothing much to report otherwise, still on track.
    22|engrish?|Build fitnes, build speed|2|2|31m|98m|Hurt my back getting out of bed a week ago so no runs for a few more days...
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|10|5|49m|553m|Great weeks running, my highest milage yet, good tempo sessions and speed sessions midweek, followed by really good LSR on Sun 20m@8:03. Just need to be careful I dont get carried away and overtrain.

Another 20miles today in the bag. Beautiful day in the Phoenix Park.
    5 miles to wrm up.
    8 at PMP.
    6 at a controlled pace - mostly sub 8.
    1m cool down (last mile through my times out)

13 or 14 ran in the great company on Micilin Muc, before I slowed down & he sped up!!

1st 5m warm up: 42:14 (8:27/mile)
    2nd 5m: (most at PMP): 37:23 (7:29/m)
    3rd 5m: 38:20 (7:40/m) (I slowed up at 14m to protect a tight hamstring)
    4th 5m: 41:04 (8:13/m)
    3:30 is definitely on.
    3:15 may be a stretch.
    3:20 could be possible if the wind blows in my direction the whole way around :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|13|7|89.14km|1284.89km|Quick recovery from Dublin Half, did high mileage again at week start, tapered towards the end for Rathfarnham 5km on Sunday and finished in 19:54, first time to break 20 smile.png Next week is the last of the big high mileage weeks for me. Have pencilled myself in for sub-3:15 for DCM.
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|13|4|40.09m|299.33| Good Week.Happy with 20 mile LSR today. Confidence up now for DCM
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|13|5|43m|342.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Really pleased with 20m LSR as I felt good after and I'm usually in a heap! Tried for 10min mile pace and averaged 9.50. Swim today was very beneficial.
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|13|5|49m|563m|Another good weeks training including a 20 miler with 10 miles at MP
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|13|5|52.52m|488.31m|Had a good week this week. LSR of 18 with 12 @ MP went ok I guess, but I wouldn't describe it as "comfortable" :rolleyes:
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|14|5|39m|404m|Good week, 2nd half of DCM route as LSR @10.15min pace went well today with RedRunner, thanks for the company.:)
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|13|5|42.78|351.45|20m LSR done, happy enough with 10.05 avg pace!!:D|
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|10|5|70.9km|718.4km|Another week down and still on track. Got all 5 scheduled runs done and got out on the bike on Friday. This week is a biggie.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|11|4|31 m|383m|Poor week with missing a few runs and cutting miles, Charleville half marathon yesterday PB 1:29. Deligted with steady splits and feeling good all the way around. Tough week ahead with 21 mile LSR on Sat.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|12|4|63km|511.5|20 MIle run done on sat at a nice slow pace 9.30 min miles. Shoulder gave me little grief this week which is good, had physio and accupunture on it.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|5|5|45.38M|172.44M|Good Week, got through all the runs and enjoyed the 16M with 10 @PMP.
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|10|6|69km|609km| What a week. Got all runs in even though I was feeling tired and sluggish all week. Finished off with a pb sub 1hr32m Half-Marathon in Charleville this morning:D
    19|RedB|P&D - 55|5|5|55M|480M|Tough Week. Still feeling a bit under the weather with migraines and eye strain. Went for eye test but no problem there. Might be not enough sleep as only getting 6-6.5hrs last while. Changed training plan at weekend and got a good tough long run done. Tired still :rolleyes:.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|13|4|26|408M|Slight setback with calf injury, luckily this was a recovery week.
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|13|5|81.24km|891.60km|Generally squeezed all the runs in, minus a km here and a km there. Nothing much to report otherwise, still on track.
    22|engrish?|Build fitnes, build speed|2|2|31m|98m|Hurt my back getting out of bed a week ago so no runs for a few more days...
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|10|5|49m|553m|Great weeks running, my highest milage yet, good tempo sessions and speed sessions midweek, followed by really good LSR on Sun 20m@8:03. Just need to be careful I dont get carried away and overtrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Hi all, been following this thread occasionally but not posted yet. So apologies for joining in at this late stage but I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced racers.

Background: Did my first marathon at DCM last year. Had a 1.40 half from Achill so decided to attempt 3.30. Realised I was reaching a bit and was told so but I wanted a tough challenge so I persevered and was delighted to cross the line in 3.29.12.

This year I was 1.32.xx in Achill on a very windy day so I started planning for 3.15 in Dublin. Again reaching a bit but I found the pacers really helpful last year and that's the next group up.

Unfortunately I got fairly low milage in for July/ August and did a slow half early August followed by a pretty slow Gaelforce (adventure race) too. I injured myself in GF and needed 2 weeks off resting.

So I really only started marathon training early september and at that stage I was planning for 3.20- 3.25 if all went very well.
    My LSR's on successive weeks were 12k, 16k, 22k, 27k, and today 32k.
    I've felt better each week and today I couldn't believe the energy I had. My planned pace was 5.30/k but it was impossible to keep it that low so eventually I just went with it and ran by feel finishing in 2.46 (even splits,1.23) or 5.11 pace. I didn't feel tired at all until 31.5k.

Now I'm very tempted to go back to plan A and follow the 3.15 group. I could re-assess at 30k or whatever and let them go if necessary. Is this a step too ambitious? If there was a 3.20 pace group I'd gladly go with them but I don't really relish the idea of lining up behind the 3.15 guys and letting them gradually move away.

Sorry for the very long post, any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Clearlier wrote: »
    I corrected my earlier post by saying that I had seen people do 20 in 2:10 (not 3:10) and follow it up with a 3:10 marathon. Minor but significant change!

42 min 10k is heading towards a 3:15 time but the 75 min 10 miler suggests that you'd be pushing it to get to 3:30. Assuming that you had a similar fitness level for both races it also strongly suggests that you lack endurance.

I have had a quick look at the HH Inter 1 plan and it seems to me that it's targeting the marathon by making your two hardest runs of the week back to back at the weekend. If you have more or less followed the plan to this point then I think that you should stick to it. Do the pace run the day before and treat the 20 mile race as a supported training run. He talks about 3/1 runs where you run the last quarter of the race a bit faster than the first 3 quarters. He suggested a range of 30 to 90 seconds slower than PMP. Given that I wouldn't go any faster than 9mm for the first 15 miles and 8:30 for the last 5. The purpose of the runs within the schedule is to build endurance and within this particular plan it's very important that you do the pace run the day before so that you're already starting on relatively tired legs.

P.S. I didn't mean to suggest that your target was soft - I was more trying to point out that running 20 miles at PMP would be very difficult - I could have made that point a bit more carefully though. In fact, given your times for 10k and 10 miles you'll need a fair fitness boost between then and the marathon to hit 3:30 - entirely doable though.

I ended up doing the 1st 15 miles this morning @ around 8.30 pace and the last 5 @ 7.30. I was conscious about trying to go slower at the start, but I couldn't force myself to slow down to 9.00 minute miles, probably because it was a race. I have another 20-22 next week, which I'll run by myself so I should be able to get a bit slower and take a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

7|Skidrow|HH inter1|13|4|37m|365m|Great week, 19m LSR @10min pace went well today, strong finish:).
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|14|5|45M|453M|Got back running Tuesday and concentrated on slow mileage runs, did long run today of 22M @ 7.44 pace, delighted.

trigger26 wrote: »
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|14|5|45M|453M|Got back running Tuesday and concentrated on slow mileage runs, did long run today of 22M @ 7.44 pace, delighted.
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|11|5|50m|603m|Last weeks long run on a Sunday threw my week out a bit. Kept the intervals on Tuesday and a 12m tempo on Wed - felt tight hamstrings as a result. 20m LSR on Sat at 7:57(ave mile) - 8 of these were at MP.
    [/ QUOTE ]

snailsong wrote: »
    Hi all, been following this thread occasionally but not posted yet. So apologies for joining in at this late stage but I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced racers.

Background: Did my first marathon at DCM last year. Had a 1.40 half from Achill so decided to attempt 3.30. Realised I was reaching a bit and was told so but I wanted a tough challenge so I persevered and was delighted to cross the line in 3.29.12.

This year I was 1.32.xx in Achill on a very windy day so I started planning for 3.15 in Dublin. Again reaching a bit but I found the pacers really helpful last year and that's the next group up.

Unfortunately I got fairly low milage in for July/ August and did a slow half early August followed by a pretty slow Gaelforce (adventure race) too. I injured myself in GF and needed 2 weeks off resting.

So I really only started marathon training early september and at that stage I was planning for 3.20- 3.25 if all went very well.
    My LSR's on successive weeks were 12k, 16k, 22k, 27k, and today 32k.
    I've felt better each week and today I couldn't believe the energy I had. My planned pace was 5.30/k but it was impossible to keep it that low so eventually I just went with it and ran by feel finishing in 2.46 (even splits,1.23) or 5.11 pace. I didn't feel tired at all until 31.5k.

Now I'm very tempted to go back to plan A and follow the 3.15 group. I could re-assess at 30k or whatever and let them go if necessary. Is this a step too ambitious? If there was a 3.20 pace group I'd gladly go with them but I don't really relish the idea of lining up behind the 3.15 guys and letting them gradually move away.

Sorry for the very long post, any advice appreciated.

Snailsong for what its worth and this is just my opinion, i think you should go with the 3.30 pacers and push on from halfway if you are feeling good. You have missed quite a bit of training and it could lead to a nightmare run if you go out too fast and have to struggle home for the last few miles, better to go out handy and enjoy the end of the race!:)

8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|14|6|46.44|397.89|tough 18m LSR done today with 9 @ MP (nearly):o highest mileage week for me and highest mileage month @170m for the month!|
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|11|5|50m|603m|Last weeks long run on a Sunday threw my week out a bit. Kept the intervals on Tuesday and a 12m tempo on Wed - felt tight hamstrings as a result. 20m LSR on Sat at 7:57(ave mile) - 8 of these were at MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|14|6|46.44|397.89|tough 18m LSR done today with 9 @ MP (nearly):o highest mileage week for me and highest mileage month @170m for the month!|
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|11|4|52km|661km| Another week with weekend nite shift getting in the way of 20m LSR. Doing it tom. morning and pushing plan out by a day ... injury here I come ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|14|5|33m|375.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Step back week so tookit relatively easy. Looking forward to the second and final 20miler on Sunday:D
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|11|4|52km|661km| Another week with weekend nite shift getting in the way of 20m LSR. Doing it tom. morning and pushing plan out by a day ... injury here I come ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

I ended up doing the 1st 15 miles this morning @ around 8.30 pace and the last 5 @ 7.30. I was conscious about trying to go slower at the start, but I couldn't force myself to slow down to 9.00 minute miles, probably because it was a race. I have another 20-22 next week, which I'll run by myself so I should be able to get a bit slower and take a bit longer

Well done Cambo. I was, unofficially, a couple of minutes behind you - 2:49 for the 20-mile. I had the same general pacing issues as you, albeit a bit slower.

Felt fresh enough at the end. I know that the next 6 miles is another world, but I now feel confident enough to revise my 3:59:59 DCM goal down to a credible shot at 3:45.

Had to wonder at times about the sanity of voluntarily doing 4 laps of the industrial heart of Dublin Port, but the event had a good vibe and was very well organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|14|5|33m|375.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Step back week so tookit relatively easy. Looking forward to the second and final 20miler on Sunday:D
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|14|5|51.59m|539.90m|Had a good week this week. P&D called for a tune-up race, and as there was none on, I just did 10k in the park and managed a PB! (surprisingly, I chose a very flat course though :rolleyes:) LSR of 22 with some splendid company! It was tough, but got there in the end!
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Trigger26, when you did you update of the table, looks like you missed the last one that had been completed by Skidrow, so his update for this week has not been included in the table going forward - poor Skidrow! Maybe he wouldn't mind updating again?
    It's funny that we all seem to be a bit more eager updating the table once the week has been completed - I wonder why that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|14|5|51.59m|539.90m|Had a good week this week. P&D called for a tune-up race, and as there was none on, I just did 10k in the park and managed a PB! (surprisingly, I chose a very flat course though :rolleyes:) LSR of 22 with some splendid company! It was tough, but got there in the end!
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|14|4|74.83km|966.43km|Did the Eco2Run in Dublin Port as an "assisted PMP 20-miler" on Sunday, slightly above and beyond what P&D required but seems to have been worth it. Still happy with things, looking forward to taper after this week.

Did the Eco2Run in Dublin Port as an "assisted PMP 20-miler" on Sunday, slightly above and beyond what P&D required but seems to have been worth it. Still happy with things, looking forward to taper after this week (if I'm reading the plan right).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 Rigsy

Hi all

Looking for some advice please: 3rd marathon this year, training 5 days a week (3 days running, 2 days cycling).
    I don't do massive milage as I have a few injury problems and just not able for it.
    I'm due for my peak milage this week with 7,7 and 21. This would be followed with 6,6 and 14 and 5,5 and 8 for the weeks after.

My question is that I'm away on a lads weekend next weekend so will miss my long run so what way should I plan my milage for the last few weeks?

I had thought of maybe doing a 16 miler on Thursday, a recovery 6 on Friday this week followed by:

a 7 miler the following Tuesday with a 20 miler on the Thursday. That would leave a 2.5 week taper and I would maybe taper as suggested at the top with a 14 miler the following Wednesday and an 8 miler the following Tuesday which would be the week before the marathon.

Hope this makes sense. Any advice much appreciated thanks.

7|Skidrow|HH inter1|14|5|39m|404m|Good week, 2nd half of DCM route as LSR @10.15min pace went well today with RedRunner, thanks for the company.
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|14|4|74.83km|966.43km|Did the Eco2Run in Dublin Port as an "assisted PMP 20-miler" on Sunday, slightly above and beyond what P&D required but seems to have been worth it. Still happy with things, looking forward to taper after this week.

Did the Eco2Run in Dublin Port as an "assisted PMP 20-miler" on Sunday, slightly above and beyond what P&D required but seems to have been worth it. Still happy with things, looking forward to taper after this week (if I'm reading the plan right).

Trigger26 - updated skidrows details there, good spot Lizzy, we must have been updating at same time maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|14|4|32.71m|332.04m| Missed two midweek runs due to bad cold but good recovery at end of week to get back into swing of it.
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|14|5|39m|404m|Good week, 2nd half of DCM route as LSR @10.15min pace went well today with RedRunner, thanks for the company.

Great running Trigger, what u aiming for in DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|14|4|32.71m|332.04m| Missed two midweek runs due to bad cold but good recovery at end of week to get back into swing of it.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP

Ran the last 17.3 (missed one turn) miles of the DCM course today, psychologically beneficial for me after blowing up twice before around 15 Miles. Managed to get around the last 18 miles all at PMP, even after a 12 miler on Saturday, so feeling in good shape for my sub 4 attempt after 17.3 miles in 02:32:30.

Great running Trigger, what u aiming for in DCM?

Not sure man, I'm a bit all over the place after yesterdays run, I was planning to aim for under 3.30 but I was on for a 3.22 yesterday! Delighted with that run so I might revise to a sub 3.20. What are you hoping for yourself?

• Advertisement

trigger26 wrote: »
    Not sure man, I'm a bit all over the place after yesterdays run, I was planning to aim for under 3.30 but I was on for a 3.22 yesterday! Delighted with that run so I might revise to a sub 3.20. What are you hoping for yourself?

thats a savage long run with 22 miles at PMP!

I reckon you need to slow down on your pace before you do yourself some damage. The first goal is to make it to the start line without injury.

22miles at PMP - either your underestimating your PMP or your running too hard in training!!!

I'll be gunning for 3:20 myself - not going with any pacers - just going to run my own race - I reckon there'll be a few boardsie's at the same pace.

Advertisement