Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

whos pacing the 3:15's & 3:30's this year (Hopefully I wont meet the 3:30 people !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

whos pacing the 3:15's & 3:30's this year (Hopefully I wont meet the 3:30 people !!)

List of pacers over on Dublin marathon thread in events forum. Sorry - not sure how to do the linky thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

names of pacers and a bit of advice from RayCun now up of First page

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

Fame at last :pac:

lesson of the day is, if things go pear shaped like that, trust yourself - or latch onto a pacing group :)

Well-earned notoriety. I would have linked it properly if I knew how.

My coping strategy in Dublin would involve pacers or, failing that, asking others what they're pacing. Language shouldn't be as much of an issue as in Berlin.;)

S'pose a pacing band wouldn't hurt, for something interesting to look at on my arm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Anybody here going with the 4:15 group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 BigBadTom

Couple of things have been bothering me:

1. They are giving out free flu vaccines in work on the 17th would you get one so close to the marathon?

##Warning Toilet related Questions##
    2. I can't seem to make it through a 20 mile run without going for a pee. I would prefer not to pee during the marathon if possible. How much do people drinkbefore a race and when do you stop drinking.

##Warning More Toilet related Questions##
    3. I normal have a pint of water and a coffee about an hour an 1/2 before a long run. Is the coffee a good Idea? I mainly take it to help do a number 2 before leaving the house. It’s not for the stimulant effect or anything.

4. 1000 mile socks are they worth the money?

5. Is this just a gimick? https://www.thestick.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BigBadTom wrote: »

1. They are giving out free flu vaccines in work on the 17th would you get one so close to the marathon?
    I certainly wouldn't risk it

2. I can't seem to make it through a 20 mile run without going for a pee. I would prefer not to pee during the marathon if possible. How much do people drinkbefore a race and when do you stop drinking.

It's all very personal but I Generally drink loads the day before the race but very little on the morning of the race (coffee and maybe a sip of water/juice 3hrs before the race). You should be still well hydrated from the day before. Drink water from the first water station to stay hydrated. If you have to stop to pee you are obviously drinking too much one way or another....

3. I normal have a pint of water and a coffee. Is the coffee a good Idea? I mainlytake it to help do a number 2 before leaving the house. It’s not for the stimulanteffect or anything.

I'm the same as you about the coffee but the pint of water is probably not necessary, especially if it means you end up having to pee

Dunno, depends on if you get blisters or not. everyone is different. I am happy with lidl socks myself

5. Is this just a gimick? https://www.thestick.com/
    It's pretty good especially if you get a lot of knots in your legs (especially the calfs. If you do not get tight legs/ calfs it is probably not worth it

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Re Flu Vaccine:
    I had the same issue last year and I had the vaccine a week before DCM. Didn't suffer any ill effects.
    But everybody is different!

Re 100 Mile Socks: I've never had a blister with them so I would recommend them. Use them mostly for the longer runs.

I'd not do it!

I'd have 250-300ml over a couple of hours. Always go loo 10 mins before hand and had to stop in Ph Park trees last year!

3. I normal have a pint of water and a coffee about an hour an 1/2 before a long run. Is the coffee a good Idea? I mainly take it to help do a number 2 before leaving the house. It’s not for the stimulant effect or anything.

I have coffee as well, helps with the 'movement'

I have 3 pair, always use them on runs over 10 miles. Got blisters before, but not since the 1000m socks

5. Is this just a gimick?

Seems to be very useful, don't have one, but always hear good things.

https://www.thestick.com/
    [/ QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

5. Is this just a gimick?

I have really tight calfs (or is it calves?!) and bought a stick one week for 50 euro after spending 100 euro the week before in the physio. I find it great, I use it nearly every day and haven't had any problems since, so if you have tight calfs, I would definitely recommend getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I am just really tight and I still have the €50 in my pocket !!
    But I might get some stick for that!!! :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well-earned notoriety. I would have linked it properly if I knew how.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81066535&postcount=1052
    My coping strategy in Dublin would involve pacers or, failing that, asking others what they're pacing. Language shouldn't be as much of an issue as in Berlin.

S'pose a pacing band wouldn't hurt, for something interesting to look at on my arm
    bang on, on both fronts - get a pacing band and in Dublin there will be loads of folks around to help with time - but stick with a pacing group if you can, more craic :)

Re: the stick - amazing, a brilliant tool for giving your legs [or back!] a once over after a hard session. I have been known to bring it with me travelling with work...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

Ray lannigan is pacing the 3.15 .he is a serious athlete having run numerous marathons ultra marathons. He will keep at the the pace exactly,steady all the way. It won't be his fault if you don't make it ,he's excellent and definitely worth a couple of minutes to you

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

fjw wrote: »
    Ray lannigan is pacing the 3.15 .he is a serious athlete having run numerous marathons ultra marathons. He will keep at the the pace exactly,steady all the way. It won't be his fault if you don't make it ,he's excellent and definitely worth a couple of minutes to you

Easy there big fella,
    if i don't make 3.15, then its damn well gonna
    be some-one else's fault!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

20Km Training run in 1:49:50 - Happy enough with that coming on the back of some heavy weeks of training :D
    Still targetting 3:59

22 mile turned into 22.3m :-) on a very cold morning!

Didn't want to be doing loops of the Ph Park again - as much as I love the park, right on my doorstep. I also wanted to do some pounding on hard concrete to get the legs used to it for DCM.

Ran 1st 11m up around Blanchardstown/Ongar - then down to Ph Park. Was a cold morning, so took a while to warm up!
    I didn't feel like I was firing on all cylinders - put it down to milage as this week was my heaviest week (53m/85km)

2nd 11 miles were around the park, I wanted to do as many of these at PMP'ish but not push it on the hills.
    Made 7 of the 11 miles in and around PMP (7:40 - ok, some were 7:50ish) - including a 7:16 mile at mile 19 (got a bit carried away).
    Slowest mile was a 9:45 as I walked a bit while taking a gel going up Chesterfield ave. The walk break done me the world of good.
    Overall 22.3 miles in 3:02 - ave pace 8:09. Only took 2 gels and I felt it during the run.

Delighted with that work out - gave me great confidence on tired legs. Not feeling too bad afterwards either.

Roll on a 3:20 finish on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

That's the attitude don't take no for an answer,failure is not an option.i think you will get on grand with ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This is the offical list of pacers:

List of Pacers for DM 2012

3:00
    Robert W
    Abhainn
    Pronator

3:15
    liamo123
    Surewhynot!
    Ray Lanigan
    TFBubendorfer

3:30
    Wounded Knee
    JackyBack
    Grellan
    Robinph

3:45
    Menoscemo
    CorkRunning
    Paul D
    Claralara

4:00
    Oisin11178
    RunningCoach
    Ruthann S
    Breffni Blue

4:15
    Kandikane
    Marthastew
    digger2d2
    ankers99

4:30
    Ultraman1
    Moneystealer1
    Izoard
    tHEvAGGABOND

5:00
    Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Hot to trot
    fjw wrote: »

As has already been mentioned Ray is a serious animal but don't forget his Pacing buddy TFbubendorfer who managed to come second in the Irish 24hr championships this year with almost 130 miles covered in that time. The only man to beat him that day (wounded knee) is the two times Irish champion and pacing 3:30. I think he would normally pace faster but having placed highly in the recent world 24hr championships with 230km (145 miles) he is likely still recovering.

Finally for those targetting 4hrs; Ruthann S in the same world 24hr champs broke the irish female record by 17km to finish just a few hundred metres behind wounded knee with 229km covered. To put that in perspective that is running 4:15 marathon pace for 24 hours continuously. Some serious talent amongst the pacers this year (and a few plodders like myself :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BigBadTom

(Regarding Pacers) Wow, so we are in good hands.

Thanks for the rundown meno. Should we start a website: "rateourpacers" :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

menoscemo wrote: »
    3:15
    liamo123
    Surewhynot!
    Ray Lanigan
    TFBubendorfer

3:30
    Wounded Knee
    JackyBack
    Grellan
    Robinph

:O I'm planning to be right between these 2 groups having done last year's in 3.43 but am currently nursing a WOUNDED KNEE :O its a sign! My knee is damn sore tho hope I can run again next week :-\

Just back from my 20 mile LSR. Was a strange enough one in that I was feeling tired before I even set foot out side the door and was feeling a few different aches and pains.

Once I got running the first few miles felt a bit lethargic but then got into a comfortable rhythm. Throughout the run was feeling every niggle known to the running man/woman...soreness in ITB which subsided,sore left achilles, which has been an ongoing one. Soreness at top of foot (where lacing is on bone of foot..not sure what you call it), the occasional shooting pain in sole of foot, tightness in hamstring. None of these individually were a hutge concern but collectively I was thinking what a crock I am! Is this normal? Are other people experiencing this multiple niggle syndrome:) too?

Tried two new gels today, the GU Mint Choc and the High 5 ISOgel+(with caffeine) I found both of them effective and neither upset my stomach in anyway.Took the mint choc at Mile 6 and the others at 12 and 17 miles. IN between I had the odd sports jelly bean. All in all that strategy seemed to serve me well. Had a drinks belt with 3 x 170ml bottles, 2 with water and 1 with Centra Sports isotonic drink.

I was quite happy with my splits (see below)
    At mile 2 I was waiting at Train Crossing

1 9:14
    2 11:07
    3 10:28
    4 10:19
    5 10:20
    6 10:06
    7 9:55
    8 9:55
    9 10:21
    10 10:08
    11 10:14
    12 10:09
    13 10:19
    14 9:52
    15 9:52
    16 9:51
    17 10:17
    18 10:13
    19 10:01
    20 9:57

Assuming next few weeks training go well I think my target of 4:15 is achievable.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Well done (i) on getting to the taper (?); and (ii) getting there in daylight. I'll be lucky to get my 32km in before midnight. Those darned kids!!

jim0 wrote: »
    Well done (i) on getting to the taper (?); and (ii) getting there in daylight. I'll be lucky to get my 32km in before midnight. Those darned kids!!

Yeah, thanks. I know what you mean. Had kids football match this morning which pushed my run out till afternoon. Good luck hope you get it done and home safe in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|14|7|113.04km|1397.93km|Ran on revised paces - a good bit quicker than before. Midweek long runs were fine. Ran with RunningKing on Saturday for a 18-mile LSR with 14 PMP - very difficult towards the end. I had very little sleep, and had no gels so it's hard to tell if my revised goal of a sub 3:15-marathon was too much. It's not like me to be indecisive so this is wrecking my head!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|14|4|32.71m|332.04m| Missed two midweek runs due to bad cold but good recovery at end of week to get back into swing of it.
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|14|5|33m|375.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Step back week so tookit relatively easy. Looking forward to the second and final 20miler on Sunday:D
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|14|6|60m|623m|Completed my biggest mileage week ever with a unofficial 10k PB and a strong finish to a tough 17 miler the following day :)
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|14|5|51.59m|539.90m|Had a good week this week. P&D called for a tune-up race, and as there was none on, I just did 10k in the park and managed a PB! (surprisingly, I chose a very flat course though :rolleyes:) LSR of 22 with some splendid company! It was tough, but got there in the end!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|14|5|39m|404m|Good week, 2nd half of DCM route as LSR @10.15min pace went well today with RedRunner, thanks for the company.
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|14|6|46.44|397.89|tough 18m LSR done today with 9 @ MP (nearly):o highest mileage week for me and highest mileage month @170m for the month!|
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|14|3|54.9km|933.7km|Sore right foot/ankle caused me some problems this week. Did 3 runs, including a 30k with 23k at PMP. I don't think it is any more than a niggle and it does seem to be improving.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|12|5|45 m|428m| Good week, all runs done, very enjoyable LSR 22 miles 8:20 pace. Cork to Cobh next Sunday.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|12|4|63km|511.5|20 MIle run done on sat at a nice slow pace 9.30 min miles. Shoulder gave me little grief this week which is good, had physio and accupunture on it.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|11|4|52km|661km| Another week with weekend nite shift getting in the way of 20m LSR. Doing it tom. morning and pushing plan out by a day ... injury here I come ! :o
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|5|5|37M|517M|Recovery Week. Nothing to report. Easy running.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|15|6|52M|505M|Happy out, got over the 50miles mark in a week and did all the sessions as planned, I need a massage!
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|14|4|74.83km|966.43km|Did the Eco2Run in Dublin Port as an "assisted PMP 20-miler" on Sunday, slightly above and beyond what P&D required but seems to have been worth it. Still happy with things, looking forward to taper after this week.
    22|engrish?|Build fitnes, build speed|2|2|31m|98m|Hurt my back getting out of bed a week ago so no runs for a few more days...
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|11|5|50m|603m|Last weeks long run on a Sunday threw my week out a bit. Kept the intervals on Tuesday and a 12m tempo on Wed - felt tight hamstrings as a result. 20m LSR on Sat at 7:57(ave mile) - 8 of these were at MP.

Very good week with good LSR 22 miles on Saturday, highest monthly. Cork to Cobh next Sunday plan is to run last 12 miles at MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just back from my 20 mile LSR. Was a strange enough one in that I was feeling tired before I even set foot out side the door and was feeling a few different aches and pains.

I know what you mean about the niggles...felt a fair few myself today, worst one being left heel, could be heel spur. Other than that, I was happy with the 20 mile run. Left at about 7.30am with only a banana for breakfast - I brought some glucose sweets (4) and a gel with me and a bottle of water. Ended up not taking the gel as I thought I would see what it would be like without one - it was ok as it turned out! Will still use them for the DCM though. Average pace was 9.47 per mile although I was trying to pace at 10min miles - still find that difficult.
    Definitely feel the benefit of the HH1 program, much more stamina than previous years. So, bring on the taper!! Count down is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|14|7|113.04km|1397.93km|Ran on revised paces - a good bit quicker than before. Midweek long runs were fine. Ran with RunningKing on Saturday for a 18-mile LSR with 14 PMP - very difficult towards the end. I had very little sleep, and had no gels so it's hard to tell if my revised goal of a sub 3:15-marathon was too much. It's not like me to be indecisive so this is wrecking my head!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|14|4|32.71m|332.04m| Missed two midweek runs due to bad cold but good recovery at end of week to get back into swing of it.
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|15|5|44m|419.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Good 20mile LSR today without Gels. Swim tomorrow:)
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|14|6|60m|623m|Completed my biggest mileage week ever with a unofficial 10k PB and a strong finish to a tough 17 miler the following day :)
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|14|5|51.59m|539.90m|Had a good week this week. P&D called for a tune-up race, and as there was none on, I just did 10k in the park and managed a PB! (surprisingly, I chose a very flat course though :rolleyes:) LSR of 22 with some splendid company! It was tough, but got there in the end!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|14|5|39m|404m|Good week, 2nd half of DCM route as LSR @10.15min pace went well today with RedRunner, thanks for the company.
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|14|6|46.44|397.89|tough 18m LSR done today with 9 @ MP (nearly):o highest mileage week for me and highest mileage month @170m for the month!|
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|14|3|54.9km|933.7km|Sore right foot/ankle caused me some problems this week. Did 3 runs, including a 30k with 23k at PMP. I don't think it is any more than a niggle and it does seem to be improving.
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    12|seanie_m|HH Inter 1|5|6|30mi|127.5mi|Was so happy with how this week was going, then for whatever reason my knee just gave up on me early on in tonights LSR, only managed to do half of it. Going to have to take a few days off I fear to let it recover. Aside from that though, was a good week
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|12|5|45 m|428m| Good week, all runs done, very enjoyable LSR 22 miles 8:20 pace. Cork to Cobh next Sunday.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|12|4|63km|511.5|20 MIle run done on sat at a nice slow pace 9.30 min miles. Shoulder gave me little grief this week which is good, had physio and accupunture on it.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|11|4|52km|661km| Another week with weekend nite shift getting in the way of 20m LSR. Doing it tom. morning and pushing plan out by a day ... injury here I come ! :o
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|5|5|37M|517M|Recovery Week. Nothing to report. Easy running.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|15|6|52M|505M|Happy out, got over the 50miles mark in a week and did all the sessions as planned, I need a massage!
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|14|4|74.83km|966.43km|Did the Eco2Run in Dublin Port as an "assisted PMP 20-miler" on Sunday, slightly above and beyond what P&D required but seems to have been worth it. Still happy with things, looking forward to taper after this week.
    22|engrish?|Build fitnes, build speed|2|2|31m|98m|Hurt my back getting out of bed a week ago so no runs for a few more days...
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|11|5|50m|603m|Last weeks long run on a Sunday threw my week out a bit. Kept the intervals on Tuesday and a 12m tempo on Wed - felt tight hamstrings as a result. 20m LSR on Sat at 7:57(ave mile) - 8 of these were at MP.

3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|15|5|42.52m|374.56m| First full week since Wk 5 on plan. Good to get another 20 miler in!
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|15|5|44m|419.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Good 20mile LSR today without Gels. Swim tomorrow:)

3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|15|5|42.52m|374.56m| First full week since Wk 5 on plan. Good to get another 20 miler in!
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|15|5|86.67km|1,053.10km|Nothing unusual to report. Now officially tapering!

Tonight's 32km couldn't end soon enough - mainly because that signals the start of the taper. Bone tired and will be glad to wind down over the coming weeks...

... but also pretty impatient for the main event. After being barely able to shift myself all summer, have been surprising myself with a lot of pre-work trainingactivity last week. The excitement is clearly getting to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

14|irfrm|runners world|13|4|33 m|466m| Indifferent week, 3 rest days at start of week, got a few runs in then did Cork to Cobh 15 miles yesterday, slight hamstring issue at start but loosen out after 3 miles, rest of race went well at MP. Pyhsio this week.
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|15|5|86.67km|1,053.10km|Nothing unusual to report. Now officially tapering!

Slight hamstring strain yesterday while doing Cork to Cobh, sharp pains but loosen out after 3 miles and finished the 12 miles at MP. Pyhsio this week and may need a few days rest, hard work done so hopfully everything will be ok.

Advertisement