Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Is this normal ? I hope so!

I don't know if its 'normal' but its how I feel too :)

Wait for the taper and we'll be bursting to go on race day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BigBadTom

Feeling pretty knackered here too.
    Looked at the calendar this morning an I have to do 45 miles this week which doesn't sound much like a taper too me :).
    But looking back at it the last four weeks have been hard.
    I guess we are just feeling the effects now.
    Just keep washing your hands and stay away from people with snotty noises for the next 3 weeks and we'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

... but is anyone else feeling really tired now ? ...

I havent done the same mileage as you or at that pace but I am feeling tired at the moment. The short runs even require some effort... Seems like its par for the course at this stage in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

RedRunner wrote: »
    I havent done the same mileage as you or at that pace but I am feeling tired at the moment. The short runs even require some effort... Seems like its par for the course at this stage in training.

Tired as well - and P&D's speed work has me with a lot more stiffness etc between sessions. So not quite the pleasure cruise that I'd imagined tapering would be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yup, I'm fairly tired and the taper doesn't exactly say "taking it easy" to me. But I expect/hope that the body will recover over next 3 weeks. Else, I'm going to play it by feel and drop sessions if I'm knackered. Presumably if you can't improve between today and race day, you're not going to lose anything ducking a session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Physio for me :-(

Following the 22m run on Sat, I had a feeling in my Thigh/Groin (still cant pin point it) - went for a recovery run on Monday, lasted 3 miles then stopped. Rested Tuesday and spent a lot of time stretching/foam rolling.
    Felt ok on Wed so went for a light run - but seems to have spread across my thigh and just over my knee.
    Wed night sat in Ice bath and spent time with ice pack on my thigh.
    Thursday AM - thigh feels battered - decided to not run again until Mon/Tues next week. Will ice & heat as appropriate.

Been taking nurofen since Monday and have a compression bandage on it.

Hopefully this wont disrupt my taper runs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

RedB wrote: »
    I'm way out of my depth on this so take what I say with a HUGE grain of slat. The niggle may have been caused by the additional stress of doing the first 20 mile run and came to nothing once you backed off. After the easy recovery week you should ramp up again carefully but I don't think you should go all the way to 20 because its a big step up from last week and for fear that you'd get injured. I'd stick with 15/18 but maybe try to fit in a small easy 5mile recovery run on Sunday also? Hope this helps and it works out for you. Take it easy and enjoy the run.

Thanks for the reply. My own instinct is the same - think I'll keep it between 15 and 18 depending on how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm fairly tired and the taper doesn't exactly say "taking it easy" to me. But I expect/hope that the body will recover over next 3 weeks. Else, I'm going to play it by feel and drop sessions if I'm knackered. Presumably if you can't improve between today and race day, you're not going to lose anything ducking a session.

My taper plan for this week is 5/6/5/5/12. I took it easier this morning (8.35 avg miles) and felt a good bit better. Nothing now til Saturday morning, hopefully it will continue to improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Following the 22m run on Sat, I had a feeling in my Thigh/Groin (still cant pin point it) - went for a recovery run on Monday, lasted 3 miles then stopped. Rested Tuesday and spent a lot of time stretching/foam rolling.
    Felt ok on Wed so went for a light run - but seems to have spread across my thigh and just over my knee.
    Thursday AM - thigh feels battered - decided to not run again until Mon/Tues next week. Will ice & heat as appropriate.

So have you been to the physio? I'd be wary of icing/heating the leg if you don't know what's actually wrong with it. As I understand it, icing is to bring down any swelling while heating is to promote blood flow. How do you know this is the right approach? It could well be the right thing to do, but a visit to the physio is generally a good thing at the end of a hard training programme.

macinalli wrote: »
    So have you been to the physio? I'd be wary of icing/heating the leg if you don't know what's actually wrong with it. As I understand it, icing is to bring down any swelling while heating is to promote blood flow. How do you know this is the right approach? It could well be the right thing to do, but a visit to the physio is generally a good thing at the end of a hard training programme.

thanks macinalli, appreciate the reply.

You're right, never thought of it like that.
    Physio is booked up until Monday, so have to wait til then. Trying to get a sports massage tomorrow - will also ask her advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

thanks macinalli, appreciate the reply.

You're right, never thought of it like that.
    Physio is booked up until Monday, so have to wait til then. Trying to get a sports massage tomorrow - will also ask her advice.

You'll see loads of people here talking about taper madness, and it happens in all sorts of ways. From re-reading your post above I see that for your injury, you've self diagnosed icing, heating, foam-rolling, ibuprofen & compression gear. Who says marathon runners aren't an obsessive bunch;)

in fairness I haven't self-diagnosed anything - Just trying to put some popular remedies to the test!! But you're dead right about the obsessive part.........

Hope you get it sorted soon. i've a few aches and strains myself but have sports massage lined up for tomorrow which sort those out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I can't remember back to last year and how I felt at this stage, but is anyone else feeling really tired now ?

Last couple of days been a real struggle, enough to have me questioning my goals. I'm hoping the tiredness is just part and parcel of the stage the big training weeks bring you to, and this is where the benefits of the taper start kicking in.

The work is done, time to wait for the harvest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I was very sore and tired at the start of the week, but even one week of taper has done wonders for me. Unfortunately a 10km race tomorrow will probably undo all of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BigBadTom

Talking about the 10K run tomorrow.
    I haven't signed up for anything yet.
    There are 3 options near to Dublin (below)
    I was think about the BHAA but I don't own spikes would I be ok with a pair of trail runners?

Donadea Forest 10K Run ****SOLD OUT****
    http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/index/tag/teachers2012
    http://www.runforalife.ie/registration.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BigBadTom wrote: »
    I was think about the BHAA but I don't own spikes would I be ok with a pair of trail runners?

Yes, trail runners are fine. Plenty of people there will be wearing road runners.

Thigh still not great, so haven't ran since Wednesday night. Seems like ages ago!

No running this weekend, off to celebrate my 40th in Killashee house (on the downside I'm 40, but on the upside,my age category should be decent!).

Last weekend on the beer, some physio on Monday and see how I feel on Tuesday for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Thigh still not great, so haven't ran since Wednesday night. Seems like ages ago!
    h
    No running this weekend, off to celebrate my 40th in Killashee house (on the downside I'm 40, but on the upside,my age category should be decent!).

Last weekend on the beer, some physio on Monday and see how I feel on Tuesday for a run.
    Happy birthday man, hope you shake off the niggles soon.
    Did 12m in The Park this morning , very cold starting and finishing.
    Wondering now will I wear the leggings and long sleeve top on marathon day.
    Feeling tired the last few weeks as others have mentioned. Legs , knees and groins feeling sore after recent long runs, hope taper will clear up all the niggles.

Skipped my thursday run this week as I was feeling very tired so thought the body could do with a rest. So after two consecutive rest days went out for a run today. Was due to do a 4 mile pace run. Ended up doing a 7 mile run at faster than PMP..I even clocked a 7:11 last mile..That's unheard of for me. Looks like the rest did me a world of good
    Still have a few lingering niggles but as Skidrow says ,hopefully these will settle during the taper as the mileage goes down. 12 mile LSR planned for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Skipped Saturday run myself as was hung over - the day was a write off! that was the last night on the beer for me too. Went for 12 mile LSR this morning in the rain and feel good now I have warmed up. few small niggles like everyone else but I'm feeling fit and raring to go.

After toying with the idea of changing my target, Iv'e decided that I will stick to the sub.4 plan and stay with the pacers. See if I still have anything left in the tank at 22 mile and hopefully kick on from there. A lot of people seem to have doubts and worries as we get closer - all those lonely hours on the road messes with your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Did the North East Galway 10k today as a tune-up and to see what sort of shape I'm in before DCM. Previous pb was about 42 so I was hoping to go under 41 for confidence as much as anything. My fitness took a serious dip this summer but after the last month of training I felt I was going a lot better.

Started a bit quick (3.55 or thereabouts) so I eased off a bit for k's 4 to 7 lest I blow up. I didn't want a negative race experience this close to the big day.

At 7 k or so I approached a junction manned by 2 marshals and as neither said anything I continued straight on. As I came abreast of them they shouted 'left'. Now you tell me. A quick 180 turn and off on the right road again. Only a few seconds lost...

Another runner caught up with me and we ran shoulder to shoulder for the last 3k. We gradually increased the pace and buried it in the last k (3.38) to cross the line in....40:02.

Very happy to get a 2 minute pb. I'm happy to go with the 3.15 pacers now.
    Slightly disappointed missing the 40 but there'll be another day. Can't wait for the marathon.

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|15|7|110 km|1507.93km|Taper arrived just on time. Haven't felt this tired yet. Goal is now 3:20. Now - the battle not to put on weight for the next three weeks!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|16|4|30.36m|404.92m| Tired legs this week so skipped one midweek run but felt benefit of that at weekend.I can almost taste that pint in McGrattans already!
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|15|5|44m|419.1m|Got all my runs in this week. Good 20mile LSR today without Gels. Swim tomorrow:)
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|15|5|50m|673m|Another good week completed with my final 20 mile LSR. Bring on the taper :)
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|15|5|54.14m|594.04m|Struggled to get all runs done this week but got there. LSR of 22 with Young Anne and others went well, including a slog up the Kyber at mile 20. Now we'll be well able for the little hill at Clonskeagh:) So glad the taper begins now, as I'm tired.
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|15|4|38m|442m|Tough week, finished off with tough 20m.
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|15|6|50.96|448.85|very happy with 22.1m LSR done yesterday with great company which always helps and had a bit left in the tank and did the Kyber at 20.5m so very positive overall and now BRING IT ON!!!:D highest mileage week for me |
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|15|5|78.7km|1002.4km|Right foot/ankle niggle hasn't gone away but I got the 5 runs done, including my third 32k. I have run 1000k since the start of this P&D program. Is that 1 megametre?
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|13|4|33 m|466m| Indifferent week, 3 rest days at start of week, got a few runs in then did Cork to Cobh 15 miles yesterday, slight hamstring issue at start but loosen out after 3 miles, rest of race went well at MP. Pyhsio this week.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|14|4|65.5km|619|3 weeks to go yayyyyy
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|12|5|82km|743km| Got all runs in, but motivation levels have dropped. Need the next 3 weeks to fly by!!
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|13|5|60M|577M|Tough Peak Week. Hills, Tempo, Recovery,Pyramid Tempo, Rest, 32km Long Run incl 11km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Tired.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|15|6|52M|505M|Happy out, got over the 50miles mark in a week and did all the sessions as planned, I need a massage!
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|15|5|86.67km|1,053.10km|Nothing unusual to report. Now officially tapering!
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|12|5|53m|656m|Good tough running week. 12m tempo on Wed and 22 on Sat at 8:09ave pace - 7 around PMP - feeling confident

Tired legs this week so skipped one midweek run but felt benefit of that at weekend.I can almost taste that pint in McGrattans already!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|15|7|110 km|1507.93km|Taper arrived just on time. Haven't felt this tired yet. Goal is now 3:20. Now - the battle not to put on weight for the next three weeks!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|16|4|30.36m|404.92m| Tired legs this week so skipped one midweek run but felt benefit of that at weekend.I can almost taste that pint in McGrattans already!
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|16|4|25m|444.1m|Skipped Saturday run but LSR was good today, raring to go a this stage:)
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|15|5|50m|673m|Another good week completed with my final 20 mile LSR. Bring on the taper :)
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|15|5|54.14m|594.04m|Struggled to get all runs done this week but got there. LSR of 22 with Young Anne and others went well, including a slog up the Kyber at mile 20. Now we'll be well able for the little hill at Clonskeagh:) So glad the taper begins now, as I'm tired.
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|15|6|50.96|448.85|very happy with 22.1m LSR done yesterday with great company which always helps and had a bit left in the tank and did the Kyber at 20.5m so very positive overall and now BRING IT ON!!!:D highest mileage week for me |
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|15|5|78.7km|1002.4km|Right foot/ankle niggle hasn't gone away but I got the 5 runs done, including my third 32k. I have run 1000k since the start of this P&D program. Is that 1 megametre?
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|13|4|33 m|466m| Indifferent week, 3 rest days at start of week, got a few runs in then did Cork to Cobh 15 miles yesterday, slight hamstring issue at start but loosen out after 3 miles, rest of race went well at MP. Pyhsio this week.
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|12|5|82km|743km| Got all runs in, but motivation levels have dropped. Need the next 3 weeks to fly by!!
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|13|5|60M|577M|Tough Peak Week. Hills, Tempo, Recovery,Pyramid Tempo, Rest, 32km Long Run incl 11km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Tired.
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|15|6|52M|505M|Happy out, got over the 50miles mark in a week and did all the sessions as planned, I need a massage!
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|15|5|86.67km|1,053.10km|Nothing unusual to report. Now officially tapering!
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|12|5|53m|656m|Good tough running week. 12m tempo on Wed and 22 on Sat at 8:09ave pace - 7 around PMP - feeling confident

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|16|4|25m|444.1m|Skipped Saturday run but LSR was good today, raring to go a this stage:)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|16|5|39M|544M|Good week, no dramas. Looking forward to wind down and build up!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

7|Skidrow|HH inter1|16|5|32m|474m|Happy to get over week 16 with no major issues, except energy levels a bit low.:)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|16|5|39M|544M|Good week, no dramas. Looking forward to wind down and build up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

7|Skidrow|HH inter1|16|5|32m|474m|Happy to get over week 16 with no major issues, except energy levels a bit low.:)
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|14|6|70M|647M|Peak Week 2. Rest, Aero, Tempo, Recovery,Intervals, Recovery, 35km Long Run incl 12km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Happy to make the big sessions as planned. Taper time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|16|3|12.25|461.10|:( Bad week for me, seem to have picked up a bit of a hip/back injury. Off to physio tonight to get sorted. |
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|14|6|70M|647M|Peak Week 2. Rest, Aero, Tempo, Recovery,Intervals, Recovery, 35km Long Run incl 12km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Happy to make the big sessions as planned. Taper time :)

:(Bad week for me, seem to have picked up a bit of a hip/back injury. Off to physio tonight to get sorted, hopefully....i will be fit, i will be fit is my new mantra!!!! I was knacked all week so the not running helped a bit, but its mental exhaustion i have now!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|16|3|12.25|461.10|:( Bad week for me, seem to have picked up a bit of a hip/back injury. Off to physio tonight to get sorted. |
    14|irfrm|runners world|13|4|33 m|466m| Hamstring left leg a start of week, physio gave the all clear to train away, good at startvof week but missed out on long run yesterday. 2 weeks to go!!!

Physio at start of week, legs felt good at end of week. All going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|16|5|42m|715m|Good 4 mile race and 16 mile run over the weekend. Taper madness not set in yet :)
    14|irfrm|runners world|13|4|33 m|466m| Hamstring left leg a start of week, physio gave the all clear to train away, good at startvof week but missed out on long run yesterday. 2 weeks to go!!!

Advertisement