Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi D Chief,
    I wouldn't get too worried about doing any more runs till the marathon if I were you. Give your Knee a complete rest till the race.
    Don't let taper madness force you into going out for a run with a sore knee.
    I would say your level of fitness is not going to drop over a week, with all the training miles you have put in.
    Hope you make it !!

Mr.W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilí­n Muc|P&D:55-70|17|4|51km|1641.10km|My head got really congested. I missed my first two sessions of this whole plan but crossed 1000 miles for the 17 weeks :D Finding it hard to concentrate on the marathon now - have signed up for the Art O'Neill Challenge so I'm really excited about that!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|17|3|18.36m|423.28m| Only 3 runs but happy that I'm injury free at this stage in the game.Looking fwd to big day now.
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|17|4|20m|464.1m|only 4 runs this week but feeling good - swim tomorrow - last one!
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|17|4|32m|747m|Taper ticking along nicely. Not much more that can be done at this stage.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|16|5|43.34m|637.38m|43 miles still feels like a lot for a taper!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|17|5|24m|498m|I think I hit peak fitness 3 weeks ago, feel like I am going backwards now.:(
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|17|4|32.47|493.57|Physio sorted me last week with dryneedling session, gioing again tonight for final rub down. total mileage for the year so far is 975.44 so willhit the 1000m makr during the marathon!!:D |
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|17|3|39.7km|1128.3km|Right knee very stiff and sore after 19km LSR on Sunday. A bit worried that I won't make the start line :(
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|15|4|26m|523.5 m| lowest weekly mileage in a long time, missing 2 runs, meet up with other club members yesterday 2 out with injury. nice and genlte run this week. THINK I'm READY
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|14|4|65.5km|619|3 weeks to go yayyyyy
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|14|4|48km|885km| Managed a few 5 milers and a 12 mile LSR after physio. Feeling fine but will worry myself silly till the race !
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|14|6|70M|647M|Peak Week 2. Rest, Aero, Tempo, Recovery,Intervals, Recovery, 35km Long Run incl 12km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Happy to make the big sessions as planned. Taper time :)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|17|5|28M|572M|8mile LSR today, feeling a bit lethargic,thankful to be fit at this stage
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|17|4|53.68km|1,173.89km|Nothing unusual to report.
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|14|5|32m|698m|Injured 2 weeks ago, 32miles last week - no high intensity or intervals, mostly easy runs.

6 days to go :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Another massage/physio session on Tuesday.
    A bit tender today, so no running - will do a little light stretching later on.

Plan to do 4m on Thursday and a 2-3m on Sat or Sun - just to help the mind more than the legs.
    Am starting to do my own checklist now, for everything!

What food to eat each day.
    Reminders to drink water left everywhere.
    Baggage checklist for after race.
    Baggage checklist for before the race.

Everytime I'm doubting myself or 2nd guessing my pace - I look at my training log. Its all there. My pace is not based on some arbitrary figure I plucked from the sky.
    Its based on a figure that I've trained for for many months.
    My LSR's, 10m races and HM races show endurance and capability to do this pace.

Now, if anyone finds a left leg on the course, its mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Ha, reminds me of the " if I collapse stop my Garmin!" t-shirt
    Another massage/physio session on Tuesday.
    A bit tender today, so no running - will do a little light stretching later on.

Plan to do 4m on Thursday and a 2-3m on Sat or Sun - just to help the mind more than the legs.
    Am starting to do my own checklist now, for everything!

What food to eat each day.
    Baggage checklist for after race.
    Baggage checklist for before the race.

Everytime I'm doubting myself or 2nd guessing my pace - I look at my training log. Its all there. My pace is not based on some arbitrary figure I plucked from the sky.
    Its based on a figure that I've trained for for many months.
    My LSR's, 10m races and HM races show endurance and capability to do this pace.

Now, if anyone finds a left leg on the course, its mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I misread this and pictured you with loads of water bottles left all over your house. Ah, taper madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

My pace is not based on some arbitrary figure I plucked from the sky.

Wish I could say the same. I'm enjoying this week of questioning the arbitrariness of my plucking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just back from gentle 3 mile run and now I'm worried. Bit of a pain in my left foot. I had similar pain after last LSR but just put it down to a niggle. Had two days rest before this run so now my mind is racing and all i can think of are those two scary words "stress fracture" I really hope I'm imagining it and it is just a touch of taper madness. Afraid of my life now to do any more running case it is the beginning of something more serious than a niggle. Someone please tell me that if it was anything near a stress fracture that I'd be in severe pain because I'm not , I'm just sore. At this stage i'd rather start the race and have to pull out than not make the start line at all.
    Going for sports massage tomorrow and getting my left calf taped as I've been having some issues with my achilles too (I know I'm a crock)
    Anyone ever get this done and confirm it does benefit you. Never had it done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just back from gentle 3 mile run and now I'm worried. Bit of a pain in my left foot. I had similar pain after last LSR but just put it down to a niggle. Had two days rest before this run so now my mind is racing and all i can think of are those two scary words "stress fracture" I really hope I'm imagining it and it is just a touch of taper madness. Afraid of my life now to do any more running case it is the beginning of something more serious than a niggle. Someone please tell me that if it was anything near a stress fracture that I'd be in severe pain because I'm not , I'm just sore. At this stage i'd rather start the race and have to pull out than not make the start line at all.
    Going for sports massage tomorrow and getting my left calf taped as I've been having some issues with my achilles too (I know I'm a crock)
    Anyone ever get this done and confirm it does benefit you. Never had it done before.

Hi Redrunner,
    I'm sure the sports massage will sort you out. I had a few physio sessions earlier in the summer with something similar - a pain in my foot and again I was worried that it was a stress fracture. Anyway, I also had tight calfs and achilles and it turned out that's what was causing the sore foot. The physio suggested I was unconsciously tensing my foot to accommodate my tight muscles? Anyway, since then, bought a stick and work every day on my calfs and haven't had a niggle in my foot since. As you say you've been having achilles problems too, the sore foot could be due to that, as it was for me. If however, your foot and achilles are on opposite legs, my theory goes out the window I'm afraid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Taping got me through the last few weeks leading up to my first marathon. Done properly it can be very useful. I'd expect you to be show how to do it though with a view to you doing it yourself on the morning of the race. The tape loosens after a while. Kinesi tape (could be getting the name wrong) is very popular with physios around here at the moment but I personally found it to be far inferior to the basic zinc-oxide. It lasts longer but doesn't provide anywhere near the level of support in my experience.

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Hi Redrunner,
    I'm sure the sports massage will sort you out. I had a few physio sessions earlier in the summer with something similar - a pain in my foot and again I was worried that it was a stress fracture. Anyway, I also had tight calfs and achilles and it turned out that's what was causing the sore foot. The physio suggested I was unconsciously tensing my foot to accommodate my tight muscles? Anyway, since then, bought a stick and work every day on my calfs and haven't had a niggle in my foot since. As you say you've been having achilles problems too, the sore foot could be due to that, as it was for me. If however, your foot and achilles are on opposite legs, my theory goes out the window I'm afraid...

Lizzy,

Now that's interesting. Thanks for telling me that .I instantly had a moment of anxiety relief! Yes it's the same leg alright. Was the pain in your foot along the boney part of the top of your foot...you know the bone that comes from your big toe (metatarsal)?
    Sounds very similar to my current problem.God i hope it is!:(

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    Taping got me through the last few weeks leading up to my first marathon. Done properly it can be very useful. I'd expect you to be show how to do it though with a view to you doing it yourself on the morning of the race. The tape loosens after a while. Kinesi tape (could be getting the name wrong) is very popular with physios around here at the moment but I personally found it to be far inferior to the basic zinc-oxide. It lasts longer but doesn't provide anywhere near the level of support in my experience.

Thanks Clearlier.Interestingly she said to remove it before the race as it would be better to run the race with more freedom in the leg rather than be restricted. This seemed a bit strange to me but she says even the few days with the tape on will help??:confused:

Quad Update #24.

Following Tuesdays sports massage, I kept as immobile as I could today, iced 1st thing this morning, worked from home and sat with my feet up for the day.
    Had a heat patch on most of the day, then had an Epsom salts bath. By God, those things do work. Legs felt fantastic afterwards.

Done some light stretching. Think I'll repeat this for the next few days.
    Might not run til Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Lizzy,

Now that's interesting. Thanks for telling me that .I instantly had a moment of anxiety relief! Yes it's the same leg alright. Was the pain in your foot along the boney part of the top of your foot...you know the bone that comes from your big toe (metatarsal)?

Sounds like taper madness to me...
    Thanks Clearlier.Interestingly she said to remove it before the race as it would be better to run the race with more freedom in the leg rather than be restricted. This seemed a bit strange to me but she says even the few days with the tape on will help??:confused:

Perhaps she's saying that a few days of taping will take the load off the achilles and allow it to heal or at least improve to the point where you can run the race?

Lizzy,

Mmmn, not really - this might sound silly but the soreness was inside my foot (like the bone didn't really hurt to touch it, nor did the sole of my foot), it was in the middle of my foot, whenever I put pressure on the foot a pain went up through the middle of my foot. When the physio tried to isolate the pain, it was only when she dug in underneath the ball of the foot that I got any relief, so that could be under that bone that you're talking about. But it was loosening out the calf and achilles that did the trick.
    Fingers crossed you will be ok - a few days of no running on it and massaging the foot and muscles will hopefully solve the problem :)

Clearlier wrote: »
    Sounds like taper madness to me...

Perhaps she's saying that a few days of taping will take the load off the achilles and allow it to heal or at least improve to the point where you can run the race?

I think you are right on both counts.:)
    Mmmn, not really - this might sound silly but the soreness was inside my foot (like the bone didn't really hurt to touch it, nor did the sole of my foot), it was in the middle of my foot, whenever I put pressure on the foot a pain went up through the middle of my foot. When the physio tried to isolate the pain, it was only when she dug in underneath the ball of the foot that I got any relief, so that could be under that bone that you're talking about. But it was loosening out the calf and achilles that did the trick.
    Fingers crossed you will be ok - a few days of no running on it and massaging the foot and muscles will hopefully solve the problem :)

Thanks Lizzy. Yes hopefully I'm just concerned over nothing and tomorrow will bring some sanity after the massage. Won't run tomorrow and try another short one on friday.

Thanks folks for sharing your thoughts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I can't sleep think I'll go for a run - oh! Best not I'm tapering! and my leg hurts and my knees and my left foot - It sounds like tapering madness to me

Jimh wrote: »
    I can't sleep think I'll go for a run - oh! Best not I'm tapering! and my leg hurts and my knees and my left foot - It sounds like tapering madness to me

I'm with you on that. I definitely wasn't this bad last year. Don't know why I'm so edgy this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Likewise here too. Couldn't do 4 miles last night, too tired. And my right calf soleus muscle is very tight (that much I'm not imagining :D), maybe related to a hamstring/back niggle I feel. And my toes are sore. Fck this tapering business, I wish it was Monday morning

Me too. I didn't really think I was suffering from taper madness until last night I woke at 3am with a bit of a pain down my left leg and I got up and did some stretching and foam rolling - wrecked then when the alarm went off :(

I wonder if theres a correalation each year when the Marathon ends with an increase in work productivity and a decrease in Boards.ie activity? #canthinkofanythingelse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I wonder if theres a correalation each year when the Marathon ends with an increase in work productivity and a decrease in Boards.ie activity? #canthinkofanythingelse

Yes, very hard for me to concentrate too. Especially when my line of work has acronyms such as PMP, LSR and GA (General Aerobic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Redrunner, hope you get sorted today
    I had the same problem a few weeks back with tight calf muscle and this was leading to a sore foot and pains in my toes. Dryneedling by the physio sorted it, like the others have said.

I was doing Pilates on Mondays night and had to stop a few times with cramps in both feet, which i get regularly and after Pilates, physio(who is my Pilates instructor) was rubbing out the calves and gave me 1 needle in each calf and the pain shot right down and out my toe:eek:...its all related......pains in the knee can also be cause by tight calf muscle!!!

I had a bit of a pain in my right side yesterday so i was convinced my appendix was about to errupt!!:eek:
    On a better note i had 5hrs blissful sleep last night with only 1 interruption from 3yr old!!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Redrunner, hope you get sorted today
    I had the same problem a few weeks back with tight calf muscle and this was leading to a sore foot and pains in my toes. Dryneedling by the physio sorted it, like the others have said.

I was doing Pilates on Mondays night and had to stop a few times with cramps in both feet, which i get regularly and after Pilates, physio(who is my Pilates instructor) was rubbing out the calves and gave me 1 needle in each calf and the pain shot right down and out my toe:eek:...its all related......pains in the knee can also be cause by tight calf muscle!!!

I had a bit of a pain in my right side yesterday so i was convinced my appendix was about to errupt!!:eek:
    On a better note i had 5hrs blissful sleep last night with only 1 interruption from 3yr old!!!:D

Thanks Younganne,

I'm all rubbed down and taped up now. A bit sore everywhere now but that is to be expected. Apparently I have extra bone in my left foot!

I'm still worried about the pain in my foot so resting up now until Monday. I feel sick at the possibility of it not being right for Monday.I've raised quite a bit of money for charity so there's a lot riding on me finishing too.

Is there a Patron Saint of Runners? I think I may have a few words with him/her:)

Hope all your ailments disappear magically for Monday too and you get more quality sleep between now and then.

My 8 yr old has suddenly started sleep walking which is making our nights interesting lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Is there a Patron Saint of Runners? I think I may have a few words with him/her:)

Saint Sebastian is the man you're looking for. He was clubbed to death.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Saint Sebastian is the man you're looking for. He was clubbed to death.

Lovely!:D

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilí­n Muc|P&D:55-70|17|4|51km|1641.10km|My head got really congested. I missed my first two sessions of this whole plan but crossed 1000 miles for the 17 weeks :D Finding it hard to concentrate on the marathon now - have signed up for the Art O'Neill Challenge so I'm really excited about that!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|17|3|18.36m|423.28m| Only 3 runs but happy that I'm injury free at this stage in the game.Looking fwd to big day now.
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|17|4|20m|464.1m|only 4 runs this week but feeling good - swim tomorrow - last one!
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|17|4|32m|747m|Taper ticking along nicely. Not much more that can be done at this stage.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|17|5|35.01m|672.39m|Penultimate update!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|17|5|24m|498m|I think I hit peak fitness 3 weeks ago, feel like I am going backwards now.:(
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|17|4|32.47|493.57|Physio sorted me last week with dryneedling session, gioing again tonight for final rub down. total mileage for the year so far is 975.44 so willhit the 1000m makr during the marathon!!:D |
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|17|3|39.7km|1128.3km|Right knee very stiff and sore after 19km LSR on Sunday. A bit worried that I won't make the start line :(
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|15|4|26m|523.5 m| lowest weekly mileage in a long time, missing 2 runs, meet up with other club members yesterday 2 out with injury. nice and genlte run this week. THINK I'm READY
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|14|4|65.5km|619|3 weeks to go yayyyyy
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|14|4|48km|885km| Managed a few 5 milers and a 12 mile LSR after physio. Feeling fine but will worry myself silly till the race !
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|14|6|70M|647M|Peak Week 2. Rest, Aero, Tempo, Recovery,Intervals, Recovery, 35km Long Run incl 12km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Happy to make the big sessions as planned. Taper time :)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|17|5|28M|572M|8mile LSR today, feeling a bit lethargic,thankful to be fit at this stage
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|17|4|53.68km|1,173.89km|Nothing unusual to report.
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|14|5|32m|698m|Injured 2 weeks ago, 32miles last week - no high intensity or intervals, mostly easy runs.

I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence - this year have done nearly 700 miles in training, in comparison with last year when I did "only" 425. So I guess I have to trust that this will translate into a better time than last year on the day....???
    Going to give tomorrow's run a miss, as my legs need a bit of extra recovery I think, just 4 gentle miles on Saturday and think that will be it (plus epsom salt baths, foam rolling, using the stick, gentle massage....etc etc!)

I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence - this year have done nearly 700 miles in training, in comparison with last year when I did "only" 425. So I guess I have to trust that this will translate into a better time than last year on the day....???
    Going to give tomorrow's run a miss, as my legs need a bit of extra recovery I think, just 4 gentle miles on Saturday and think that will be it (plus epsom salt baths, foam rolling, using the stick, gentle massage....etc etc!)

You will , no doubt. I would bet my "good" foot on it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I'm happy now that I will be lining up in Fitzwilliam St. on Monday morning. I've been taking it easy this week giving my troublesome knee a chance. I have just done 30 mins easy pedalling on the turbo on Tuesday evening and r
    an 8k easy run on Wednesday. The knee was still a bit sore but it was manageable. I'll probably do 6 or 8k tomorrow and, depending on how feel, maybe another short run on Saturday or Sunday.
    Tomorrow I'll go get all my gear together, but I know exactly what I'm wearing.
    Best of luck to everyone on this thread and all boardsies running DCM.

• Advertisement

D Chief wrote: »
    I'm happy now that I will be lining up in Fitzwilliam St. on Monday morning. I've been taking it easy this week giving my troublesome knee a chance. I have just done 30 mins easy pedalling on the turbo on Tuesday evening and r
    an 8k easy run on Wednesday. The knee was still a bit sore but it was manageable. I'll probably do 6 or 8k tomorrow and, depending on how feel, maybe another short run on Saturday or Sunday.
    Tomorrow I'll go get all my gear together, but I know exactly what I'm wearing.
    Best of luck to everyone on this thread and all boardsies running DCM.

Cheers DChief. Hope your knee holds out.Best of luck

Advertisement