Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Saint Sebastian is the man you're looking for. He was clubbed to death.
    He obviously didn't run fast enough....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice 5m yesterday, tried to do it slow, but found myself at faster than PMP a few times! Bursting with energy, but going to take next 3 days really easy to clear quad injury.
    Woke up this morning with bit of a sore throat, so it's a stay in bed day (with the laptop & phone) and plenty of water.

Despite what we heard yesterday, Let the loading begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Lizzy C wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence - this year have done nearly 700 miles in training, in comparison with last year when I did "only" 425. So I guess I have to trust that this will translate into a better time than last year on the day....???
    Going to give tomorrow's run a miss, as my legs need a bit of extra recovery I think, just 4 gentle miles on Saturday and think that will be it (plus epsom salt baths, foam rolling, using the stick, gentle massage....etc etc!)

LizzyC i have done a few runs with you and your are stronger than you think. Believe and it will happen!!!

Time for some positive thoughts and belief in ourselves. (thats aimed at everyone on this thread!!!)
    "Can we do it...YES WE CAN" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Younganne wrote: »
    LizzyC i have done a few runs with you and your are stronger than you think. Believe and it will happen!!!

Time for some positive thoughts and belief in ourselves. (thats aimed at everyone on this thread!!!)

"Can we do it...YES WE CAN" :D

Like everyone else I have lots of doubts myself. But remember, we have all trained hard and prepared as best we can for this challenge. If you stick to your plan you will succeed in reaching your target time.
    Good luck to everyone on Monday.
    Looking forward to seeing Ye all in McGrattans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Irish Runner magazine arrived in post yesterday. Now that was good timing! Some good articles on the Marathon in it.

Look forward now to picking up the number in RDS this afternoon.

Best of luck to everyone on Monday. I'll be aiming to hang out with the 4:15 pacers or in the vicinity. Will be wearing a t-shirt sporting the words "Supporting Irish Cancer Research" and yes you've guessed it, the colour will be Red:)

Please say hello if you spot me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

That's the last training run done 5Km in 28:34, I will be starting behind the 4 Hour Pacers and taking it from there - Training plan has me at 3:50 but as I was 4:28 last year (with a lot of walking 14-19 Mles) beating 4:00 would be fandabidozee:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Hey I have a question about what fields people are displaying on their Garmins for the race. Usually I go with lap pace, time and distance but I remember RayCun (I think it was - on YoungAnne's thread) suggesting having overall average pace, lap pace and time on display and not distance (as the Garmin distance is usually slightly off). Is this what other people are doing? And do you keep the autolap on at one mile? or press the lap button yourself everytime you pass a mile marker? And do people wear their HR straps for the marathon. I know I did last year but I got a new one and it gets a bit uncomfortable sometimes so might leave it off.

Had my first marathon dream last night.. a similar theme to others - not being anywhere near the start line at ten nine and getting in a panic and then getting a taxi and asking to be brought to the Rocky Mountains..not sure what that was about...Think maybe because I was setting up my Saorview and was reading about Three Rock transmitter. Isn't the subconscious a wonderful thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hey I have a question about what fields people are displaying on their Garmins for the race. Usually I go with lap pace, time and distance but I remember RayCun (I think it was - on YoungAnne's thread) suggesting having overall average pace, lap pace and time on display and not distance (as the Garmin distance is usually slightly off). Is this what other people are doing? And do you keep the autolap on at one mile? or press the lap button yourself everytime you pass a mile marker? And do people wear their HR straps for the marathon. I know I did last year but I got a new one and it gets a bit uncomfortable sometimes so might leave it off.

Had my first marathon dream last night.. a similar theme to others - not being anywhere near the start line at ten nine and getting in a panic and then getting a taxi and asking to be brought to the Rocky Mountains..not sure what that was about...Think maybe because I was setting up my Saorview and was reading about Three Rock transmitter. Isn't the subconscious a wonderful thing

Hi lizzy, good luck with your sub 4 on monday. you looked strong pacing us for the 22 miler. you'll have no worries.

Hows it going there Lizzy ? All set? I wish it was tommorrow:D

Meet some of the pacers at the Expo today and I think they will help to lift a lot of pressure off us. My plan is to stick with 4:30 pacers and hopefully not to look at the Garmin at all!

Best of luck Monday. McGrattans after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Hi Lizzy,

At the start there's multiple garmins watches and you're surrounded by tall buildings, it can take a bit, say 1/2 of a mile to get a clear signal. This can ruin your overall pace. I find the best thing to do is use the lap pace, the overall time and distance setting along with your 5,10,half and 20 mile splits written on your arm.

Hey I have a question about what fields people are displaying on their Garmins for the race. Usually I go with lap pace, time and distance but I remember RayCun (I think it was - on YoungAnne's thread) suggesting having overall average pace, lap pace and time on display and not distance (as the Garmin distance is usually slightly off). Is verall this what other people are doing? And do you keep the autolap on at one mile? or press the lap button yourself everytime you pass a mile marker? And do people wear their HR straps for the marathon. I know I did last year but I got a new one and it gets a bit uncomfortable sometimes so might leave it off.

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hi lizzy, good luck with your sub 4 on monday. you looked strong pacing us for the 22 miler. you'll have no worries.

Thanks rasher m - best of luck to you too! You'll be great. Enjoy the experience...if that's humanly possible :D

Hi Lizzy

I don't have distance showing on mine as we have mile markers.
    I have auto lap set on mile, no need to keep pressing the lap button.
    My settings are last lap, current lap, average pace, heart rate. I do wear my HR monitor but only as an indicator, one of many indicators. But I will use the data afterwards to see how I was doing etc at certain parts of the race, I'm a nerd like that.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I remember RayCun ) suggesting having overall average pace, lap pace and time on display and not distance... do you keep the autolap on at one mile? or press the lap button yourself everytime you pass a mile marker?

tldr version - keep autolap on and autopause off

explained in excruciating detail version -
    The main thing you need to know during the race is, how long have you been running? When you pass a mile marker, you check your elapsed time against your pace band to see if you are on track. That's the single most important bit of information you can get from a watch, and you don't need GPS to do it, any stopwatch will do.
    (But if you are using a Garmin, make sure you have autopause disabled. Otherwise your elapsed time information is wrong and your watch is useless)
    Next most important thing is your pace. This is fuzzier, but is a good indication if you are going to be up or down when you check at the mile marker. Instant pace is too erratic, and overall pace is very slow to change in a marathon, but lap pace hits the sweet spot. It doesn't matter how the laps in your watch match up with the laps on the course, it's just that each lap is a few minutes of running, enough to give you good feedback.
    Starting a new lap manually every time you hit a mile marker is pointless. It doesn't give you any information you need in the race. All it does is make you stress about watching out for the mile markers and remembering to hit the button, and fret about OMG the garmin said that last lap was 1.02 miles am I running off the racing line or maybe I need to stay away from those buildings or my garmin isn't working right or blah blah blah blah blah...
    You're adding tension to your race, and for what? So you'll know that Garmins aren't 100% accurate, you don't follow the racing line, and the mile markers are not all accurate? Guess what, now you know all those things. You don't need to find out again.

trigger26 wrote: »
    Hi Lizzy,
    At the start there's multiple garmins watches and you're surrounded by tall buildings, it can take a bit, say 1/2 of a mile to get a clear signal.

Don't wait until you're on the start line to turn on your watch :)
    Turn on your watch 10 or 20 minutes early so it can get a clear lock, and start recording when you cross the start line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My settings are last lap, current lap, average pace, heart rate.

You need to show elapsed time, that's the most important thing.

Are you used to training and racing by heart rate? What are you going to do if your heart rate is higher than you expect it to be after 5 miles? Are you going to slow down? Or are you going to keep your pace, but start worrying about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

RayCun wrote: »
    keep autolap on and autopause off

Thanks for that post.

Recommend all Garmin users turn their autopause off NOW - much better now than hearing the beeps during the "comfort stop" outside Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park and standing there cursing as the accuracy seeps away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

The main thing you need to know during the race is, how long have you been running? When you pass a mile marker, you check your elapsed time against your pace band to see if you are on track.

Don't wait until you're on the start line to turn on your watch :)
    Turn on your watch 10 or 20 minutes early so it can get a clear lock, and start recording when you cross the start line.

@Lizzy

Pace bands available at the Expo at the Pacer's stand, sub 3, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45. 4.00, 4.15, 4.30 etc. etc. Otherwise print one out online for your target time (I'm sure this has been advised on the Novice thread already)

Re; GPS watch, +1 @ Ray (even though he's in a rival club ;))

Thanks Ray, appreciate the advice on elapsed time. Perhaps that'll take the place of the HR on a different screen. Typically I use 3 screens.
    For me average pace lets me know if I'm on target to my goal time. I use last lap and current lap as more immediate indicators as to how I'm doing now.

Heart rate is to analyse after the event, not during ( for me anyway).
    I like to match how I was feeling at a particular time, would I change anything in next race, did I see any change after a gel. Those sort of things.
    Just one more data point, as I said, it's only one of many indicators.

Mate of mine was running the half in Dublin and was going for sub 1:30, but he stopped on the way around to tie his laces.
    He had forgotten to turn AutoPause off.

He said he had to really sprint to get his sub 1:30 at the end, so Rays advice is well merited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For me average pace lets me know if I'm on target to my goal time. I use last lap and current lap as more immediate indicators as to how I'm doing now.

But average pace is calculated against a fixed distance and you are unsure how long your garmin is going to measure the course. I have often went for a run with people and our garmins will measure up to .2/mile difference for the same 10 mile run.

I have seen different runners/garmins measure DCM anything between 26.2 and 26.7 miles, that could be anything up to 10 seconds/mile of difference. As Ray says, best to forget average (overall) pace. Measure total time vs pace band at mile markers and use av (lap) pace to keep you approximately on course during each mile.

tldr version - keep autolap on and autopause off

Cool - thanks everyone. So I'll go with time, and lap pace (and either overall pace or distance, probably overall pace), keep autolap on (never use autopause anyway), leave the HR monitor at home and have my pace band on (got one for each arm at the expo today!) :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

menoscemo wrote: »
    But average pace is calculated against a fixed distance and you are unsure how long your garmin is going to measure the course.

I often wondered about this - How is average pace calculated - is it not calculated using all the data gathered so far so that if you stopped at any point in time, your average pace would be accurate up until that point? So if your average pace was 9:09 and you actually ran 26.2 miles then that would equate to approximately a sub-four hour marathon, but would it matter if Garmin thought you had run 26.5 miles (because your average pace could still have been 9:09 when your passed 26.2 miles on the Garmin watch?) :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I often wondered about this - How is average pace calculated - is it not calculated using all the data gathered so far so that if you stopped at any point in time, your average pace would be accurate up until that point? So if your average pace was 9:09 and you actually ran 26.2 miles then that would equate to approximately a sub-four hour marathon, but would it matter if Garmin thought you had run 26.5 miles (because your average pace could still have been 9:09 when your passed 26.2 miles on the Garmin watch?) :confused::confused:

Average pace is calculated by dividing total elapsed time by total distance. So if your garmin thinks you have run 26.5 miles then you will need to run 9:02 (approx)/mile to get in under 4 hrs.

You might well run a sub 4 marathon by the garmin by running 9:09/mile but unfortunately that will not show up on the official results and you will still by up by trinity when you hit 4 hrs. You need to run 9:09/mile marker.....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilí­n Muc|P&D:55-70|17|4|51km|1641.10km|My head got really congested. I missed my first two sessions of this whole plan but crossed 1000 miles for the 17 weeks :D Finding it hard to concentrate on the marathon now - have signed up for the Art O'Neill Challenge so I'm really excited about that!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|17|3|18.36m|423.28m| Only 3 runs but happy that I'm injury free at this stage in the game.Looking fwd to big day now.
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|17|4|20m|464.1m|only 4 runs this week but feeling good - swim tomorrow - last one!
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|17|4|32m|747m|Taper ticking along nicely. Not much more that can be done at this stage.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|17|5|35.01m|672.39m|Penultimate update!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|17|5|24m|498m|I think I hit peak fitness 3 weeks ago, feel like I am going backwards now.:(
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|17|4|32.47|493.57|Physio sorted me last week with dryneedling session, gioing again tonight for final rub down. total mileage for the year so far is 975.44 so willhit the 1000m makr during the marathon!!:D |
    9|run44|HH inter1||5|27m|62mm|Happy to get 5 in this week
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|17|3|39.7km|1128.3km|Right knee very stiff and sore after 19km LSR on Sunday. A bit worried that I won't make the start line :(
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|15|4|26m|523.5 m| lowest weekly mileage in a long time, missing 2 runs, meet up with other club members yesterday 2 out with injury. nice and genlte run this week. THINK I'm READY
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    16|jester1980|HH IINT 1|14|4|65.5km|619|3 weeks to go yayyyyy
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|14|4|48km|885km| Managed a few 5 milers and a 12 mile LSR after physio. Feeling fine but will worry myself silly till the race !
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|14|6|70M|647M|Peak Week 2. Rest, Aero, Tempo, Recovery,Intervals, Recovery, 35km Long Run incl 12km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Happy to make the big sessions as planned. Taper time :)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|17|5|28M|572M|8mile LSR today, feeling a bit lethargic,thankful to be fit at this stage
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|18|4|32.63km|1,206.52km|Done and dusted - now bring on the PAIN!!
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|14|5|32m|698m|Injured 2 weeks ago, 32miles last week - no high intensity or intervals, mostly easy runs.

I'm done and dusted - now would someone please bring on the PAIN!! Can't wait for tomorrow. To all on this thread - thanks for all the posts, and make sure you all kick some @ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

digger2d2 wrote: »
    @Lizzy

Pace bands available at the Expo at the Pacer's stand, sub 3, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45. 4.00, 4.15, 4.30 etc. etc. Otherwise print one out online for your target time (I'm sure this has been advised on the Novice thread already)

Re; GPS watch, +1 @ Ray (even though he's in a rival club ;))

Got my band yeterday, theyre a great idea. I'll be hoping to go with you Digger and Marthastew.Didn't get a chance to chat with you yesterday as you were busy with other people but I did talk to Claralara so it was great to put some faces to usernames.

Once thing I forgot to ask/confirm was, will you guys be definitely at beginning of wave 3 ?

1|liamog|HH Inter 1|9|0|0.0 km| 232.1 km | Fully fit again, dying to run on Tuesday
    2|Micilí­n Muc|P&D:55-70|17|4|51km|1641.10km|My head got really congested. I missed my first two sessions of this whole plan but crossed 1000 miles for the 17 weeks :D Finding it hard to concentrate on the marathon now - have signed up for the Art O'Neill Challenge so I'm really excited about that!
    3|RedRunner|HH Inter 1|17|3|18.36m|423.28m| Only 3 runs but happy that I'm injury free at this stage in the game.Looking fwd to big day now.
    4|Mike D|HH Inter 1|17|4|20m|464.1m|only 4 runs this week but feeling good - swim tomorrow - last one!
    5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|17|4|32m|747m|Taper ticking along nicely. Not much more that can be done at this stage.
    6|Lizzy C|P&D -33-55|18|4|18m|690.39m|Last ever update!
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|17|5|24m|498m|I think I hit peak fitness 3 weeks ago, feel like I am going backwards now.:(
    8|Younganne|Ecolis plan|17|4|32.47|493.57|Physio sorted me last week with dryneedling session, gioing again tonight for final rub down. total mileage for the year so far is 975.44 so willhit the 1000m makr during the marathon!!:D |
    10|D Chief|P&D -55|17|3|39.7km|1128.3km|Right knee very stiff and sore after 19km LSR on Sunday. A bit worried that I won't make the start line :(
    11|Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|5|5|28.5m|135.9m|Avg pace this week was 8.03 so am going to make concerted effort to slow down on the longer runs. Seems to be best practice. Am in France next week for 2 weeks and am concerned that due to heat it will be tough to get in runs especially LSRs. Will try early morning runs but am not an early runner!
    13|doledude86|HH Inter 2|13|6|40m|386.70m|Havent updated properly in ages, last 20mile done yesterday!! End up doing 3!
    14|irfrm|runners world|15|4|26m|523.5 m| lowest weekly mileage in a long time, missing 2 runs, meet up with other club members yesterday 2 out with injury. nice and genlte run this week. THINK I'm READY
    15|shels4ever|just run||9|50|50|Just lots of easy runs last week. Head not in the log runs jsut yet but hope to get to grips with them soon.
    17|Van.Bosch|P&D - 55|14|5|52.21M|499M|Good Week, happy enough with progress. Got 17 Miles done @PMP
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|14|4|48km|885km| Managed a few 5 milers and a 12 mile LSR after physio. Feeling fine but will worry myself silly till the race !
    19|RedB|Part P&D55 & now coach plan|14|6|70M|647M|Peak Week 2. Rest, Aero, Tempo, Recovery,Intervals, Recovery, 35km Long Run incl 12km PMP, 10km PMP-5%. Happy to make the big sessions as planned. Taper time :)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|17|5|28M|572M|8mile LSR today, feeling a bit lethargic,thankful to be fit at this stage
    21|Jim0 |P&D - 55|18|4|32.63km|1,206.52km|Done and dusted - now bring on the PAIN!!
    23|Runningking|Run Republic|14|5|32m|698m|Injured 2 weeks ago, 32miles last week - no high intensity or intervals, mostly easy runs.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow...All the hard work will pay off.

jim0 wrote: »
    7|Skidrow|HH inter1|18|3|9m|507m|All set, can't wait to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|18|2|8M|580M|Off to watch Rocky 1-5! Can't wait for tomorrow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

5|beeduybe|P&D:33-55|18|4|18m|765m|Bring it on :)
    20|Trigger26 |Club coach sub 3.30|18|2|8M|580M|Off to watch Rocky 1-5! Can't wait for tomorrow:)
    Best of luck everybody. If things start to get tough remember pain is temporary but pride lasts forever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Heading for Dublin now, should get to expo for 5, a few butterfliesin the stomach already, looking forward to the race.
    Best of luck to all runners and try to ENJOY it.

Advertisement