Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done everybody. Some great performances out there.

3:21:13 for me which is a 49 minute PB on last year so delighted with that.

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice given on this thread and best of luck to ye all in your future running careers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

beeduybe wrote: »
    3:21:13 for me which is a 49 minute PB on last year so delighted with that.

:)

Is 49 minutes the best improvement around? I know Gary Kirwin knocked 2 hours off but he was starting from 10.5 hours.
    I was delighted with 30 minutes but your jump from +4 hours to 3:21 gives me something to aspire to

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I was aiming for sub 4 hours but finished in 4:03:27. A bit disappointed at not making my goal time, but I'm more disappointed that I didn't manage to run all the way, that I had to take a few walk breaks in the second half of the race. I was hoping that I would have been able to run it all, that it would not turn into the painful experience as DCM 2011. It was similar but not as bad. At least when I was running I was staying close enough to goal pace.

I am still determined to beat the 4 hours in Dublin, and maybe even to really enjoy the race. So I expect I'll try again next year. For now, I have a few weeks enforced rest, as my ankle, which I first injured 5 weeks ago is very sore and swollen after the race. I am going to rest it for 3 or 4 weeks and hope it heals up properly.

Thanks to all on this thread and best of luck with your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Jimh wrote: »
    Is 49 minutes the best improvement around? I know Gary Kirwin knocked 2 hours off but he was starting from 10.5 hours.
    I was delighted with 30 minutes but your jump from +4 hours to 3:21 gives me something to aspire to

Knocked 65 minutes off last year and 56 off my 2011 pb! it's the first time I trained properly and joining a running club helped hugely.

This training is documented from 2011 to this year on my blog here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Jimh wrote: »

2006 - 7.26 (run/walk and & dragging my running partner for 8m after she hit the wall!!:eek: ( 10k @ 1.38, 13.2 @ 3.28, 26.2 @ 7.26)
    2010 - 4.41 ran the whole way (except for about 6 toilet breaks)
    2011 - 4.27 - ran the whole way - 1 toilet breat
    2012 - 3.57 ran the whole way no toilet breaks

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

This was my 5th Marathon but I was probably more prepared than in the past ones.
    I decided to do a Marathon for my 50th and I started with Newry in 2010 on what turned out to be a very hot day in May and I struggled from 16 miles (I probably would not have tapered probably either) and finished in 4:50
    I then did Dublin in 2010 and ran all the way in 4:30 now I had the bug I decided to do Barcelona in Spring 2011 but the winter was so bad I lost a good few weeks training and struggled in the second half finishing in 4:45
    I then trained hard for Dublin n 2011 but injured my knee on the Phoenix Park Half and could not get any training in - I got 1/.2 way in 2:00 but struggled from 14-19 miles eventually coming in with a PB of 4:28
    This year I did no races and little running until the end of July -I then followed the Marathon Guru intermediate plan with a 4 Hour goal time - I trained 6 days a week for 3 Months with a lot of 50 mile weeks -(shed 20Lb - but still 15 Stone) and had a 4 week taper. Halfway in 1:57, 20 mile in 2:59 and then struggled a little to allow Younganne and friends to pass me before finishing with a new PB of 3:58:27
    I don't think I can improve much more unless I drop a couple of stone - I intend to Winter train and probably do Barcelona again on Paddy's day
    :D

Advertisement