Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Younganne wrote: »
    Wednesday 27th June -
    Warm up = 1m @ 10.31/156
    Diagonals
    Cool down = 1.24m @10.23/167
    Total 4.61m

Thursday 28th June -
    6.30m @9.44/157

:D

Hi Younganne,

Excuse my ignorance but what's the significance of the 156,167 etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi Younganne,

looks like average heart rate to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Younganne,

Its my average Heart Rate for that portion if the run, i always log it as it can show lots of different things. At the moment i'm recovering from a bout of sinus that have been coming and going for 6 -8 weeks and therefor my HR is still a tad high.

I also compare it to training last year when i wasn't doing as many miles and now my base has been built up over the winter months i can run at a faster pace while keeping the heart rate lower....

Younganne wrote: »
    Its my average Heart Rate for that portion if the run, i always log it as it can show lots of different things. At the moment i'm recovering from a bout of sinus that have been coming and going for 6 -8 weeks and therefor my HR is still a tad high.

I also compare it to training last year when i wasn't doing as many miles and now my base has been built up over the winter months i can run at a faster pace while keeping the heart rate lower....

Thanks YoungAnne for answering what now seems like a silly question.. I was wondering if numbers were a bit high alright...although I haven't measured my own...might get a surprise if I do :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Anybody else doing the 5 Mile tomorrow. Planning on pulling in around the 40 Min mark, slower than last year but the spring was spent helping the fiancée to build her endurance so no speed work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

liamog wrote: »
    Anybody else doing the 5 Mile tomorrow. Planning on pulling in around the 40 Min mark, slower than last year but the spring was spent helping the fiancée to build her endurance so no speed work at all.

I'll be there, don't think I'll make 40 mins though. Last year I managed 41:15, but I feel a bit behind where I was at this time last time year, but trying not to freak out as the 5 mile race was a couple of weeks later. Anyway, if I come in in 42 or 43 mins I think I'll be happy enough :) Good luck tomorrow!

i'll be there too, its my first 5m race ever:eek:, would love to do sub 40 and should be well able for 39 but still not 100% recovered after illness so would be happy with 42.30 to be honest.....

Ryans on Parkgate st after for meet up!!!!:D

Unfortunately not. Had been scheduled to work but now that is cancelled so will stick to my 5mile pace run in the morning as per plan. I'm signed up for rest of series though.

Good luck with the sub40 effort tomorrow. That is a goal of mine. Managed 40:36 in RTE5 earlier in year so getting closer. Raging I'm missing tomorrow now.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seanie_m

Ha, I was getting mixed up for a moment there, thought you were talking about the 5mi pencilled in on the HH Inter 1 schedule! The best of luck to everyone doing it, pity its the first awful day in a while!

seanie_m wrote: »
    Ha, I was getting mixed up for a moment there, thought you were talking about the 5mi pencilled in on the HH Inter 1 schedule! The best of luck to everyone doing it, pity its the first awful day in a while!

Just back from the race, hit the target with a finish of 38:44 only a minute slower than last year, happy enough and it means the slow start to the year has not hit me too badly.

I figured the 5M Pace could be a straight swap for the Race in Inter1 plan, sorry if I caused some confusion.

• Advertisement

40.09 garmin time for me for the 5m race today...weather was very hit & miss but have to say the rain was very cooling!!!
    Nice course and the hills weren't too bad, i just didn't have anything left to give in the last mile...would love to race that again when i'm 100% :)
    40.06 chip time!!

Just back from the race, hit the target with a finish of 38:44 only a minute slower than last year, happy enough and it means the slow start to the year has not hit me too badly.

I figured the 5M Pace could be a straight swap for the Race in Inter1 plan, sorry if I caused some confusion.

Well done on the time liamog. I did my 5M pace run this morning,4.99mi ,42:49, 8:35 avg so as it turned out, a bit faster than PMP but felt good after it. Reckon sub 40 in a race is not byond my reach now.

Looking forward to LSR tomorrow now and build up to Half marathon next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Well done to everyone on great times. I came in (on Garmin, 5.04 miles) in 43:26, avg pace 8:38 so happy enough, though a bit behind where I was at last year. So I am wondering do I use this to determine what my various training paces should be, and then re-evaluate as I do more races, or do I use my 4 hour marathon goal to determine my training paces. I know I will progress over the coming weeks, but just want to get the best out of my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Did my lsr today. 9.25 miles at a gentle 8.40 pace. No run tomorrow as on the first tee at 7.30am. Question. Can a full 18 holes of golf be classed as a form of cross training? If I run 5 days, play Astro turf on a sixth and golf on the seventh I am claiming it as cross training.

Did my lsr today. 9.25 miles at a gentle 8.40 pace. No run tomorrow as on the first tee at 7.30am. Question. Can a full 18 holes of golf be classed as a form of cross training? If I run 5 days, play Astro turf on a sixth and golf on the seventh I am claiming it as cross training.

Well if you dont play well you may be "cross" with yourself ! :D

Might be interesting to turn on the garmin if you have one and see how far you walk!

Nice LSR today. 8.27 mi, 78 mins Avg Pace 9:30 ,Knee pain seems to have gone...Bonus:)

Appear to have pissed off a cyclist en route by running on the edge of cycle lane despite there being plenty of room.Couldn't see what the big problem was. I was facing oncoming traffic and not running in middle of lane. Am I the one in the wrong here? I've had to deal with plenty of cyclists running on pathways when there is a road with cycle lane available on same stretch.

Nice LSR today. 8.27 mi, 78 mins Avg Pace 9:30 ,Knee pain seems to have gone...Bonus:)

Appear to have pissed off a cyclist en route by running on the edge of cycle lane despite there being plenty of room.Couldn't see what the big problem was. I was facing oncoming traffic and not running in middle of lane. Am I the one in the wrong here? I've had to deal with plenty of cyclists running on pathways when there is a road with cycle lane available on same stretch.

Nice run, got to do my 8 Miles tonight.

I regularly run in the Cycle Path's around the area as the tarmac is slightly better for you than the concrete paths they seem to love so much over here.

Never really annoyed a cyclist as the roads are long and straight. Did he come up behind you and then you refused to move if so then I can see his point otherwise I'd just put this down to #firstworldproblems

5 for 5 in week 1, with the race yesterday and tonight's long run. Total of 40km for the week, a side effect of my plan being in miles and rounding up in KM's for the actual runs.

Hope everyone is happy going into week 2.

Here's the schedule for the Inter 1 group

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun
    Cross|3M Run|5M Run|3M Run|Rest|5M Run|9M Long

Anybody interested in a progress table similar to the novice thread, I know I enjoyed filling it out last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seanie_m

5 for 5 in week 1, with the race yesterday and tonight's long run. Total of 40km for the week, a side effect of my plan being in miles and rounding up in KM's for the actual runs.

Anybody interested in a progress table similar to the novice thread, I know I enjoyed filling it out last year.

Sounds like a solid 1st week for you so, I got in all 5 runs too. 8mi (+1 more for luck) yesterday at just under 8min/mi left my knee a bit sore yesterday afterwards, but hopefully a nice swim today will have that sorted out for tomorrow.
    Progress table sounds good, it can only be encouraging to see your improvements!

ps liamog, if I ever see somebody out running at 2am can I just assume its you? ;) Can't imagine there would be too much congestion at that hour!

Nice run, got to do my 8 Miles tonight.

I regularly run in the Cycle Path's around the area as the tarmac is slightly better for you than the concrete paths they seem to love so much over here.

Never really annoyed a cyclist as the roads are long and straight. Did he come up behind you and then you refused to move if so then I can see his point otherwise I'd just put this down to #firstworldproblems

No that's the thing, he was facing me and I was keeping right into edge. I'll just put it down t him being a cranky git!

• Advertisement

Yes, feeling good after week 1. Slight adjustment for me fr week 2. Skipping the Saturday run and replacing with Half marathon and making Sunday a rest day. I think the progress table is a great idea.

Table graciously copied from the novice thread, there's a few blank lines for people to add if they want to. Quote the post and edit out the quote section to add your own details. I'm tracking total distance from last week as that's the start of the 18 week plans.

Name|Plan|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    liamog|HH Inter 1| 5 | 40 km | 40 km | Ran the 5 Mile Race in 38:44, happy with the time and 100% completion on training sessions
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

liamog|HH Inter 1| 5 | 40 km | 40 km | Ran the 5 Mile Race in 38:44, happy with the time and 100% completion on training sessions
    Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|6|88km|88km|Tough start to the week, got easier once I ate more food :)
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|6|88km|88km|Tough start to the week, got easier once I ate more food :)
    RedRunner|HH Inter 1|5|24.3m|24.3m|Feeling good and injury free..Long may it continue!
    ||||
    ||||

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

How do you copy the table and enter details??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Considering the P&D up to 55 miles plan.

Can anyone explain how to calculate the pace of 'general aerobic' and 'lactate threshold' runs?

It's a bit vague in the book, "15 - 25% slower than marathon race pace" ? Big enough difference between 15% and 25%. 37 seconds versus 61. Does it correspond to the McMillan endurance work outs pace times?

Also, I haven't run a half marathon road distance but some of the runs are based on current half marathon race pace. Should I just plug my goal time into mcmillan and run the times based on McM's half marathon time?

Mike D wrote: »
    How do you copy the table and enter details??

Just use the quote option and enter your details between the vertical lines, use the preview option to make sure it's worked ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Can anyone explain how to calculate the pace of 'general aerobic' and 'lactate threshold' runs?

It's a bit vague in the book, "15 - 25% slower than marathon race pace" ? Big enough difference between 15% and 25%. 37 seconds versus 61.

For GA, do the first kms at 25% slower and finish the last kms at 15% slower.

For LT, the guideline is 10-mile race pace for slower runners (like myself) and Half-Marathon race pace for faster runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

RedRunner|HH Inter 1|5|24.3m|24.3m|Feeling good and injury free..Long may it continue!
    Mike D|HH Inter 1|5|24m|24m|Glad to get the programme underway...all good!|
    it worked...cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Mike D|HH Inter 1|5|24m|24m|Glad to get the programme underway...all good!
    beeduybe|P&D:33-55|5|37m|37m|1 week down. 17 to go :)

Good to get through the first week unscathed. Brought forward the first marathon pace run of the plan a week as it didn't suit to do it next week. 13 miles with 8 @ marathon effort. Ended up being a bit faster than I planned but stayed within the recommended heart rate ranges in the P&D book so happy with that.

Advertisement