Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - 'Improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

liamog wrote: »
    Is the sessions completed not meant to be this weeks sessions, either that or you are all training like a boss?

Was wondering that alright? Do you want us to change to sessions completed per week or leave it as to-date?

3.03 miles today 28.09/9.17 avg pace...HR 136/146

Few pints last night as on holidays in Killarney. hard to get up at 7am this morning but managed it as wanted to get run out of the way so rest of family wouldnt be giving out about my running taking over the holiday!:)

Found nice little trail run near hotel and Killarney National Park.

Hopefully can keep the running discipline up this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Name|Plan|Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    liamog|HH Inter 1|5|36.5 km| 76.5 km |swapped one of the shorts for a weekly club session. Joining up with Le Chéile AC this week.
    Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|12|86km|174km|Easier than Week 1. Two hill races coming up in Week 3 :D
    RedRunner|HH Inter 1|10|29.56m|53.86m|Replaced 5mPace +9m LSR with Clontarf Half(PB by 7 mins) + 5.1m Recovery Run. Some lwr back pain. Holidays next wk so hopefully can still get my runs in.
    Mike D|HH Inter 1|10|25.3m|49.3m|Hard to run 9m at slow pace. Enjoying the Swim/cross training though. Good week all round.
    beeduybe|P&D:33-55|4|35m|72m|Completed 14 mile run pretty comfortably
    Lizzy c|P&D -33-55|8|36.24m|70.28m|Struggled a bit with the Marathon Pace Run [13 miles with 8 at MP] - but managed 6 miles at about 8 s slower than marathon pace so I'm ok with that...roll on week 3 :)
    Skidrow|HH inter1|||20m |
    Younganne|Ecolis plan|4|20.25|53.48m|only 4 sessions this week, but one was 5k Race with PB. missed LSR at the weekend , but FT working mum of 3, with 2 family functions at the weekend, there just wasn't enough hrs in the day:(
    run44|HH inter1|||23.2m |
    D Chief|P&D -55|5|67.5km| 125.5km|Week 2 went ok. Did ok on yesterday's 21k with 13k PMP, but 42k at that pace?? Early days yet though.
    PDCAT|HH Inter 1||| 30M|
    Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|10|26.05m|51.7m|2nd week done. Very slow LSR 9.6m today at 8.51 pace - warm out
    seanie_m|HH Inter 1|10|26.5mi|51.5mi|
    knightmove|P&D -55|||16m|
    doledude86|HH Inter 2|15|26m|79m|step back this week, one more week till my holidays
    irfrm|run world|1|5m|5m|week 1 runners world 3:15 program

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

liamog|HH Inter 1|5|36.5 km| 76.5 km |swapped one of the shorts for a weekly club session. Joining up with Le Chéile AC this week.
    Micilín Muc|P&D:55-70|12|86km|174km|Easier than Week 1. Two hill races coming up in Week 3 :D
    RedRunner|HH Inter 1|10|29.56m|53.86m|Replaced 5mPace +9m LSR with Clontarf Half(PB by 7 mins) + 5.1m Recovery Run. Some lwr back pain. Holidays next wk so hopefully can still get my runs in.
    Mike D|HH Inter 1|10|25.3m|49.3m|Hard to run 9m at slow pace. Enjoying the Swim/cross training though. Good week all round.
    Lizzy c|P&D -33-55|8|36.24m|70.28m|Struggled a bit with the Marathon Pace Run [13 miles with 8 at MP] - but managed 6 miles at about 8 s slower than marathon pace so I'm ok with that...roll on week 3 :)
    Younganne|Ecolis plan|4|20.25|53.48m|only 4 sessions this week, but one was 5k Race with PB. missed LSR at the weekend , but FT working mum of 3, with 2 family functions at the weekend, there just wasn't enough hrs in the day:(
    run44|HH inter1|4|21.7m|44.9m|One missed session this week due to sickness over the weekend. Happy to get the 10m LSR in though
    D Chief|P&D -55|5|67.5km| 125.5km|Week 2 went ok. Did ok on yesterday's 21k with 13k PMP, but 42k at that pace?? Early days yet though.
    PDCAT|HH Inter 1||| 30M|
    Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|10|26.05m|51.7m|2nd week done. Very slow LSR 9.6m today at 8.51 pace - warm out
    doledude86|HH Inter 2|15|26m|79m|step back this week, one more week till my holidays

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hey was talking to Pageant Messiah from the Novice thread, do you want to switch to a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep the thread clear for discussion or are we all happy with the tables in posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Definitely a google spreadsheet. Otherwise the thread will be a long list of repeated tables with little or no discussion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's what I was thinking, OK I'll set it up tonight and copy over the data.

aahh, i actually like the table, you can see at a glance how everyone is getting on...the novice thread is different as there are so many novices....and as you know from the 1000m challenge google spreadsheet, sometimes people go in a mess the data about, whereas with the table you can't

Thats just my opinion!!!:)

Week 3 - plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|15 min recovery|Progression*|1 hr 45 easy

Session 1-1 mile warm up, 10x30 sec hills @ 5k-5m effort jog back down recovery, 1 mile cooldown

Progression - 1 mile warm up, 3 miles steady, 2 miles @ MP, 1 mile at HMP, 1 mile cooldown

Today - 6m easy - in 57.41 @ 9.37/157.

my new easy pace going by my 5k race time from last week is 9.17 - 9.47
    so this sat on the lower end of the range which is great...felt nice & comfortable too, around a few hills in the Phoenix park too, so very happy with the run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hey was talking to Pageant Messiah from the Novice thread, do you want to switch to a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep the thread clear for discussion or are we all happy with the tables in posts.

For what it's worth I don't think your own thread needs it. 20 or so members isn't too cluttering IMO - what happened the mentored novices was that we hit 60+ members and people were copying the wrong table etc or two were posting at the same time so there was constantly people being missed or left out. Plus 60 weekly table posts is very cluttering.

I'm having a bit of a mare trying to keep the google doc on the straight and narrow. I'm constantly having to go in and correct the mistakes that people have made, sheets being moved around, data overwritten that shouldn't be. The big problem for googledocs is there is no way to protect individual cells or lines so anyone can change anything, delete a cell etc by accident and I have to go through it like a detective to find where things went wrong. On the flip side that would also be easier with a smaller group.

It was the right move to make for the novices thread but I'm not 100% sure it is the right one for you guys just yet. That said if you're going ahead feel free to copy my sheets - just be careful of the calculations from week to week as they reference cells not on the same line in other sheets (because of new joiners) I'd suggest just picking the top line and copy pasting that all the way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lipi

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Sorry I can't be of any help because I'm doing P & D 33-55 per week which might be a bit too much mileage.
    I wonder though what you did to shave nearly 20 mins off your marathon time - I did 4:10 in my first marathon and am going for sub 4 in my second one, so any tips would be great! :D

Dingle was very hilly so that didn't help for a first marathon. Also some silly mistakes that I put down to being a first timer - I didn't take gels on time and walked up a big hill but wasn't able to pick up speed after that as I started cramping.

And I think I trained smarter the second time as I understood the different types of run.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

run44 wrote: »
    Skidrow|HH inter1|5|26|47m|Week 2 was a bit easier, the 2nd run of the week I find the toughest.
    run44|HH inter1|4|21.7m|44.9m|One missed session this week due to sickness over the weekend. Happy to get the 10m LSR in though
    PDCAT|HH Inter 1||| 30M|
    I vote to keep the table

5.12 miles done this morning..47:59, avg pace 9:23 HR 133/147

Very enjoyable morning run...on empty stomach though....found a couple of testy hills which added nicely into the mix of cycle path and forest trail running. Really enjoyable.

Now off for a swim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

D Chief wrote: »
    Week 2 went ok. Did ok on yesterday's 21k with 13k PMP, but 42k at that pace?? Early days yet though.

I'm the same with my PMP runs. It will definitely get easier once you stick with the plan. I find it a little bit frustrating to be thinking about marathon day. It is still 15.5 weeks away and the P&D<55 will bring you on in leaps and bounds (pun intended!)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

I'm the same with my PMP runs. It will definitely get easier once you stick with the plan. I find it a little bit frustrating to be thinking about marathon day. It is still 15.5 weeks away and the P&D<55 will bring you on in leaps and bounds (pun intended!)

It's the strangest thing - I used to think my PMP (target 4:00) was ridiculously slow - but it feels a lot quicker when you have to speed up to it after doing the superslow aerobic warm-up phase of the P&D runs.

Last year I trained at a much faster pace - I didn't seek any real guidance as to the most efficient training pace, and I just "did what felt right". The results were middling, and this year I'm hoping that the science behind P&D is enough to bring on some improvements.

It's also nice to be able to switch the brain off and slavishly follow a renowned training plan.

Did a 10 Mile run tonight, only 5 on the plan but was running with others and felt really good. Remember peer pressure isn't just for smokers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seanie_m

Unfortunately haven't gotten anything done yet this week, have been playing football the last 2 nights so missed both HH Inter 1 runs. Thinking of doing all three-in-one tomorrow as an 11mi run - does this sound like an okay idea? Did 11mi last Sunday and felt absolutely grand, so I'd imagine its no biggie to do that. Also, does anybody know what type of strength/core training we should be doing? I did a few single-legged squats in the gym there on Monday, I'm expecting to run twice as fast now tomorrow! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

PDCAT|HH Inter 1|10|8M| 51M|Overuse Injury - only got 2 runs in. Physio's orders to rest for a week. Hope to start back this Friday. Here's hoping.

2.86 miles....26.45mins..9:21 avg pace...HR 125/137

No choice but to go easy this morning...late night last night and slightly hungover this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Did a 10 Mile run tonight, only 5 on the plan but was running with others and felt really good. Remember peer pressure isn't just for smokers :D

Peer pressure got to me too yesterday evening. I ran with a group and the pace was quicker than it should have been for my planned P&D General Aerobic 16k run. I started off trying not to go too fast but I couldn't slow down to proper GA pace either. So I gave in, took a small short cut and rejoined the group. I ended up running the last 4 or 5k at about 10k pace. We sped up a bit when the rain came down. It ended up being very close to what I should be doing on Friday, 13k with 6k at Lactate Threshold pace. So I'll just do the 16k GA tomorrow on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 seanie_m

Ah so happy to get out and stretch the legs again tonight (even if I did get soaked), 3.4mi at 7.20 pace.
    My aim is to run at the DCM at between 7.15-7.30 pace, probably need to slow down my runs so, from the advice I've been reading over on the novices thread.

Nice 5 mile PMP run this morning in West Cork..

5.13 miles, 45.53mins, 8:57avg pace, HR 136/148

Faster than PMP and pacing was a bit all over the place...need to watch this and keep more even pace. Felt a bit tired but putting this down to being on holidays, having pints and a not too healthy diet all week and the early morning runs as not really used to that. Proud of myself for getting my runs in this week though!

Short LSR tmw of 6miles and will update table then.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Nice 5 mile PMP run this morning in West Cork..

5.13 miles, 45.53mins, 8:57avg pace, HR 136/148

Faster than PMP and pacing was a bit all over the place...need to watch this and keep more even pace. Felt a bit tired but putting this down to being on holidays, having pints and a not too healthy diet all week and the early morning runs as not really used to that. Proud of myself for getting my runs in this week though!

Short LSR tmw of 6miles and will update table then.

Thats dedication, getting all the runs in while on hols, fair play to you....i'm heading away next week(West of Ireland, hope the sun shines:rolleyes:) and i'm hoping to be able to do the same, i'll definitely get some running done but no sure how much!!!:o

Younganne wrote: »
    Thats dedication, getting all the runs in while on hols, fair play to you....i'm heading away next week(West of Ireland, hope the sun shines:rolleyes:) and i'm hoping to be able to do the same, i'll definitely get some running done but no sure how much!!!:o

Thanks Younganne. Wasn't easy but determined to stick to the plan as much as possible this year if I am to get any way near my target of 4hrs.

Enjoy your break next week. Hope the weather is better than what I saw this week. Going by your posts, I'd say you have more than enough miles in those legs to have a light one next week.

RR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Younganne wrote: »

Hope you fair better than me. Just spent a week in west Clare at an endurance event of a very different nature - week long traditional music summer schools and running don't mix very well ! Back at it with a vengence this week ! Enjoy your holiday !

RedRunner|HH Inter 1|5|22.97m|76.83m|Managed to get all runs in despite being on hols so really happy with that. Diet wasn't great though so a couple of pounds up this week.Touch of sore knee today but nothing serious.
    PDCAT|HH Inter 1|10|8M| 51M|Overuse Injury - only got 2 runs in. Physio's orders to rest for a week. Hope to start back this Friday. Here's hoping.

6.83 miles LSR today 1:04:26..avg pace 9:26, HR 136/150..nice and easy.

St James Hospital 6.5k on thursday next week follwed by Fingal 10k on Sunday.Hopefully two races in one week is not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

RedRunner|HH Inter 1|5|22.97m|76.83m|Managed to get all runs in despite being on hols so really happy with that. Diet wasn't great though so a couple of pounds up this week.Touch of sore knee today but nothing serious.
    Sideline warrior|HH Inter 1|16|27.75m|79.45m|3 weeks finished and have managed to slow down a bit. Avg pace for week was 8.09 min miles. Roll on week 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Mike D|HH Inter 1|15|23.6m|72.9m|Another good week. Ran some good hills this weekend.

6m LSR today. 59.37. 9.57, 139bpm. Still hard to keep to the right pace but i'm sure it gets easier later in the programme. Irish Times running is meant to have a feature on Marathon plans tomorrow (i think). Could be interesting.

Hi,

Just wondering if you have any advice on how best to rejing this weeks training for HH Inter 1 to fit in two races?

Mon - Cross
    Tue - 3m
    Wed- 6m
    Thur-3m
    Fri -Rest
    Sat -6m pace
    Sun -11m

I'm doing James Hospital Liberties run on Thurs ,6.5k and Fingal 10k on Sunday.

Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.Maybe move the cross from mon to wed and bring tues and Wed 1 day forward , replace thurs with race. How do I handle sat and sun though?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if you have any advice on how best to rejing this weeks training for HH Inter 1 to fit in two races?

Mon - Cross
    Tue - 3m
    Wed- 6m
    Thur-3m
    Fri -Rest
    Sat -6m pace
    Sun -11m

I'm doing James Hospital Liberties run on Thurs ,6.5k and Fingal 10k on Sunday.

Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.Maybe move the cross from mon to wed and bring tues and Wed 1 day forward , replace thurs with race. How do I handle sat and sun though?
    :confused:

The only way I can see doing the two races and the LSR is:

Monday - 4 miles recovery (as slow as you want)
    Tuesday - 11 miles (slow)
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - 6.5km Liberties
    Friday - 3 miles recovery
    Saturday - crosstraining
    Sunday - 10km Fingal

You'll be one mile short of your weekly target mileage but the two races more than make up for that.

Advertisement