Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed for family to move to vaping

• 14-05-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have been following all threads about vaping for last few weeks, and still not sure about what would be best to buy, for my ma, don't want anything to big,as she in her 80's and hands not great, myself and sister don't mind as long as we get a gd hit, (both smoke rothmans) about 30 a day, we all want to try switch over from the fags. have followed links and just when i think thats what i'll get, i read other threads and find its not so gd, and leaks, Help am more confused now then before, I'm sure ye're the best people to ask, or at the rate i'm going it'll be next year before we get started :rolleyes: thanks so much,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/DCCXLKIT

or

http://www.ezsmoke.ie/riva-boge-cartomizer-ecigarette-starter-p-136.html (pick the Lr 2.0-2.4ohm option)

both cartomiser setups, good battery life.. should last a day or two between charges depending on how often you're at them. the dual coils (first one) are a bit warmer, bit rougher. second one is cooler, flavour is a little better. 6 of one, half dozen of the other really which one you go for. You can always get one of them and then just get more of the other type of cartomiser later on to try them out, 1.60-2 euro a go.. oughta last you about a week

if you're 30 a day smokers, you'll want minimum 18mg.. probably 24mg strength juice
    have a look at both sites and see what juices you might like.juices are the hardest thing really as there';s no telling what you will like, what I love you may hate, etc et c

as for your mother
    uh
    http://www.safercigs.co.uk/Innokin_AIO_IK1200_PCC_510/p705283_6359108.aspx

nice easy little kit here, it can use the boge 2ohm cartomisers too (which you can get from irish suppliers, so easier than ordering from the uk whenever you need more). the problem with the smaller models is that the battery lasts **** all time, 2-4 hours really.. with the portable charging case you just put the battery in when you're not using it and it charges away. Prob be as well to get a spare battery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

http://www.ezsmoke.ie/mega-combo-electronic-cigarette-starter-p-142.html

I spotted this the other day, the Ego Mega Combo Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit and thought it may be a really good opttion for beginners as it gives you a choice of a few different types of systems including dual coil cartomisers, boge cartomisers, CE4 clearomisers, ego cone and 510 atomisers and tanks. I think the CE4+ may be a good option for your Ma as they are probably the easiest to fill and use.

Its good value for money as well at 69.99 per kit and if ye bought 2 kits and 2 extra batteries ye should have plenty to keep the 3 of ye going for a while and have a good chance of finding what works for ye within the different systems it comes with.

Ye would need e-liquid as well of course and there's lots of good ones on the various Irish sites in the where to buy thread.I think the RY4 is a good one to start with, its kind of a tobacco tasting one with a hint of caramel and vanilla undertones though everyone's taste is different so would be advisable to try a few different flavours starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭sdp

thank you both, sir digby chicken Caesar, showed the link to ma and she loves the look of it, its now ordered and spare battery, :) will show the links to sis from yours and newmark, and hope to be ordering by weekend, thank you both for great info and quick replys,and will post what we got, we all looking forward to getting started and cutting down on fags, and maybe giving them up :)

youll be surprised how easy it is to cut down or quit the fags once you're getting another supply of nicotine although some people have found it difficult to drop the fags altogether I think most people find they just stick to vaping

finding the right juice for you might take a while, and even if you find the perfect one after a few months you might get kinda sick of it.. luckily there's about 5 million different brands/manufacturers of juices/flavours so there's always something new to try

--edit

actually i'm loving the liqua tobaccos (american/traditional) from thebestshop.eu atm, I find they're pretty authentic to what I remember tobacco tasting like. be interesting to see what a current smoker thinks of them if you feel like chancing your arm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, it definitely helps to cut down originally before taking the plunge. I think it's nearly easier for a medium to heavy smoker to switch in some ways because the benefits are more noticeable? I was only a light smoker and it took a bit of will power to switch completely because I didn't notice any difference healthwise - but I know the benefits are there of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I was a stupidly heavy smoker(40-60 a day) and i found the switch to vaping completely painless.

I started on Monday the 16th of Jan, and i woke up at 11am, had 3 cigarettes, and then the postman knocked on the door with my starter kit, and that was it, no more since.

If you have it in the mind that you wanna quit, you will, and this WILL help.

The lads pretty much have all the bases covered there on what to buy, and who to buy it from, and as Digby said, the hardest part is the juice, i've gone through a LOT of juice in my 4 months, and i'm still finding new stuff i like, but that's half the fun! :)

Hi again, well we‘ve taking the plunge and ordered Ego Riva Boge Cartomizer eCigarette Starter Kit , Lr 2.0-2.4ohm option each, I:m looking at the best shop eu now, American tobacco , ty for that Sir Digby ,:) 24mg for us, and 12mg for ma, as she is on silk cut lights, will one bottle each be enough? There 30mg, or should I order more, I know its different for everyone, but roughly how long would a bottle last for heavy users?
    Well to start with anyway. Wow, that’s great Eeloe, fair play to you, here’s hoping the same for us, we’ll give it a gd try thank ye all again :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

a 30ml bottle will last each of you OVER a week, i vape fairly heavy, and if i stick to the one flavor at a time, i get maybe 8-9 days out of a bottle....

it really is hard to say how long it will last you tbh
    i go through 3-5ml a day, maybe more.. but I'm vaping at 5 volts whereas you'll be vaping 3.3-3.4v so my juice just runs out so much quicker
    30ml oughta last at least two weeks anyway

i dunno about 12mg for your mother, i dont think the type of cigarette you smoke(d) affects anything other than your taste in juices maybe. Doesn't "light" in cig terms just mean less tar?. anyway If she smoked 20 a day of them or more, 12mg might not satisfy her nic cravings.
    best to order a few 10ml bottles of different stuff ot start with, just to get an idea for what you do or dont like.. and if something is too strong/weak at least you only spent 4-5 quid on 10ml

yep, less tar, and less nicotine, best to try the 10ml just in case, thanks so much to ye all, really want to order it today, god can't belive we really going to do it, :) ye all have been great help, would not have got this far without ye, so we should all be vaping by monday, :) wow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just one extra suggestion, since there's 3 of you doing it, use it as an opportunity to try different things out, for e.g. rather than get 3 bottles of one flavour, try 3 different flavours and then mix and match. It could easily turn out that one of you will love one flavour and another one of you will not like it at all.

well if you order before 2-3pm tomorrow on one of the irish sites, you oughta get it in fridays post
    so its too late now for tomorrow post, so take your time and make sure you've got everything right :)
    --edit

although obviously if you get that innokin kit I linked above it'll be coming from england so, probably a week or so in the post

good idea stevenmu, thanks again sir digby, ordered everything yesterday,but the juice, and will keep an eye here, as soon as eveything comes, will post, thank you all, ye're very good :)

a little update, had to return ma cig to uk as faulty, but into local chemist, and got her the green smoke, and she getting on great with it, she not of cigs fully yet, but she down by more the a 3rd, of far, :) sis not getting in great, she finding it to fiddley so she going to get the green smoke as well,i'm doing gd with the Ego Riva Boge Cartomizer , find the tobacco taste not very nice, any ideas? thanks again for all your help :)

for tobacco juices? have you tried the liqua tobaccos from thebestshop.eu ? the traditional and turkish tobaccos are very nice

for juices in general... youll have to shop around to see what you like. e-smokeirelands juices are generally very nice and irishvapers.ie whitelabel juices are great too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Get yourself a Genuine Joyetech eGo battery which has a consistent voltage of 3.3v. Whether you get 650/900/1000 mAh is up to yourself.
    900 is a nice size and provides plenty of charge time.

To go with that, get a eGo vision/stardust 1.8 - 2 Ohm Coil with long wick.

Just pour the juice in up to the mark avoiding the centre pole and your good to go.

I'd concentrate in getting an effective reliable nicotine delivery system first before worrying about juices. There are thousands to try out but no good if ya don't have a decent kit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's probably a good idea too to try some non-tobacco flavours, some of the fruit and/or menthol flavours would be good to try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

derra wrote: »
    Get yourself a Genuine Joyetech eGo battery which has a consistent voltage of 3.3v. Whether you get 650/900/1000 mAh is up to yourself.

Would the ego-twist batteries work with his setup? If so, i'd definitely reccomend one of those rather than the standard 3.3v batts. You get so much more flavour, vapour, and throat hit when you can vape at over 4v. And they only cost a few euros more

derra wrote: »

To go with that, get a eGo vision/stardust 1.8 - 2 Ohm Coil with long wick.

Just pour the juice in up to the mark avoiding the centre pole and your good to go.

I'd concentrate in getting an effective reliable nicotine delivery system first before worrying about juices. There are thousands to try out but no good if ya don't have a decent kit.

ty , as you can tell i am new to this, so will i need to buy a new kit?if so, where would you say best site to get it?, only have this one couple of weeks, but don't mind shelling out again if its the best thing to do, really delighted with change over as only smoked 3 real fags since started :) mind you am tokeing away all the time, I'll try some other flavours as well, thanks everyone for quick replys

do you notice the vape lessening as the battery drains?

I assumed the batteries in that starter kit were regulated.. maybe not..
    if they're unregulated, they start at 4.2v charge wise which gives a higher perfrmance.. but as the battery drains, the performance drops... are you noticing that?
    its not neccesary to get new batteries if that's the case.. but in general regulated is better, as a battery regulated at 3.3v (or wherever, somewhere around that) will give you the same vape performance from the moment you take it off the charger to the second it dies from losing all charge as opposed to starting at 4.2v and lessening all the way down

you dont need to get a new kit if you're happy with the boges, no harm in trying out some new stuff if you want though.

the ego vision stardusts derra reccomended could be good for your sister if she found the boges too fiddly. I wasn't happy with the ones I tried, but derra and a few others have sang their praises so maybe they've improved. dont know where he got his newer improved versions though.

• Advertisement

ty Digby. yes your right, as battery drains, i really notice the difference, i'm having to really pull on it to get some vape, ( looking like some mad witch driving along :)) do you mind me asking what batterys you use? as i said don't mind spending out again if need be,
    thanks again :)

sdp wrote: »
    ty , as you can tell i am new to this, so will i need to buy a new kit?if so, where would you say best site to get it?, only have this one couple of weeks, but don't mind shelling out again if its the best thing to do, really delighted with change over as only smoked 3 real fags since started :) mind you am tokeing away all the time, I'll try some other flavours as well, thanks everyone for quick replys

There are batteries available from all different brands and they will say ''eGo Batteries''
    Genuine Joyetech would be the best to get as they are regulated at 3.3v.
    You have noticed a difference as the battery drains in your reply to Sir DCC.

So with the genuine Joyetech batteries running at low voltage consistently, it is best to get atomisers/cartomisers in the range of 1.5 to 2 Ohms.

Having a quick look on the Irish vendors, The Best Shop seems to have the eGo vision ready to go into stock which is the 1.8-2 Ohm long wick version that i mentioned in the other post.
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/blank-cartomizers/143-ego-vision-v2.html

They also have the Joyetech batteries.
    Best to have two of them at 900/1000 mAh.
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/125-joye-ego-t-battery-all-types.html

As dublinscot said you could get the variable voltage eGo twist made by Joyetech.
    They do give you extra power, the 650 mAh does not have great battery life.
    €25 thereabouts for the 900/1000, i think for now ya be better off getting two regular ones for an extra €5.
    Some other time get a Twist.

aaaah... you probably dont want the one I have :)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/810/202509.jpg
    cost 150 or so but it is a fantastic piece of kit, variable voltage, lasts 2-3 days before it needs a charge.. plugs in like a mobile phone to charge and can be used while charging...probably overkill if you're just starting out..

although to be fair, if you dont mind the lump of it in your hand and you're willing to spend that money.. it would be a great purchase. it's just... not at all cigarette like and.. personally I dont know if I'd have used it myself before I'd been vaping for a long time and kinda weaned myself off the similarity to cigarette shape

the ego-c twist might be a good option. it's a battery in the same shape as the one you have now, but it's variable voltage from 3.2-4.8v
    which is kinda similar to what you have now, yours starts at 4.2 and then lowers as the day goes on.. the main difference with the twist is you can set the voltage it vapes at instead of it being decided by the battery draining.
    one problem with the twists is the battery life will be less the higher the voltage you vape at... ifyou're vaping around 4 volts.. I think I've seen people say they get 6-7 hours out of it... but as with all things vaping, it really depends on how you vape.
    they might have been picking it up every 15-20 minutes and having a few quick drags, if you are at it every 10 minutes having 5-6 drags.. i dont know what kind of life you'd get out of it before it needs a charge

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/33-joye-ego-c-twist-vv-battery.html is the twist although atm they only have it in 1000mah. itll last longer.. but it's also about 12cm long. i dont know when they're getting the smaller versions in again, but i think they are.
    honestly, if you get two of these.. I think you'd be best off. they're the same basic shape as the regular batteries you have (standdard kinda ego shape) and with 2 of them.. you should be good for a days hard vaping. if you're in the car alot, maybe a car charger could work as well ... pretty sure they have car chargers for them. or if you work at a computer, the usb charger that came with your original kit will be good for charging the twists while you're not using them

basically great batteries, but at higher voltages.. they definitely wont last you all day

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/124-joye-ego-c-battery.html

standard ego battery, regulated at a certain voltage.. either 3.2,3.3,3.4v

the problem im wondering about here is.. you say you have to suck on the device towards the end of the battery life to get a good drag.. and these things are kindad regulated down there from the start.. so I dont know if youd be happy with it now that you've kinda gotten used to vaping at 4 ish volts. the upside to them is.. one 900mah battery oughta last you a day and a half to two days. keeping that voltage regulated down there really helps with the battery life.

pretty sure these are the things derra was talking about as well

pretty sure these are the things derra was talking about as well

That's them alright, look great on a eGo battery.

thank you both so much, so if i get http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/blank-cartomizers/143-ego-vision-v2.html and two of http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/124-joye-ego-c-battery.html and a couple of chargers, van and home, would i use PG or VG with this, i'm on the road most of the day, and think the other battery would be to big while driving, (i think) i'm vaping about every 15 mins, 3-6 drags, but no fag since last post, :) really delighted with change over, we would not have taken the leap but for you all here,great support and advice, so big thank you to you all, :)

The eGo C batteries are handy as the light on the button changes as the battery drains, dark blue indicates you have a short while left, that's when i put it back in the charger.

Always have the two batteries with you, never know when ya need your back up.

The eGo T batteries are slightly cheaper with no battery life indication but work just as well.

650 mAh = 6 hrs, 900 mAh = 9 hrs, 1000 mAh = 10 hrs, you won't get exactly that mind ya but gives you an idea of battery life.

Yep, choose 1.8 - 2 Ohms for the Vision atomiser, again you would need two in case anything happens.

You must remember, they are disposables and won't last forever so maybe get a couple of them. If ya don't like them then get something else, trial and error as there is so much out there to choose from.

PG juice, which usually contains some VG anyway unless specified.

great, thanks a mill, I'll get those and give em a go, thanks again:)

ordered them, and some some new juices sir digby and stevemu recommend , aunt is going to try my one when new order comes, before we know the extended family will be vaping as well :) thanks again to you all

Advertisement