Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11/12 Season Roundup

Options
  • 14-05-2012 9:58am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, seasons over for us, with just the Champions League to decide on our European dreams for next year. How do you all feel after such a topsy turvy season?

I can't help but be a bit disappointed. Obviously, getting 4th is great if you had said at the start of the season that we'd get 4th, i'd have been delighted. But blowing a 9 point lead over Arsenal though has left a sour taste with me. Was it Harry to England, were the players just tired, or was it just bad luck? I don't know, but it sucked. From title contenders, to us not even thinking we'd get 6th.

The team has improved overall though, with some standout players this season. Kaboul and Walker are two of the most improved players in the league, and Friedel is rock solid for us. Really makes a difference when we have them playing. Hopefully Sandro can hold his place next season, as he was brilliant for the last few weeks. Also, i don't think Modric or Bale will leave in the summer.

We definitely need a few players though. Some more cover on the wings would be nice, and obviously a center back (Vertonghen) and a goalscorer (Remy?), and hopefully once Chelsea lose on Saturday we can get the deals done.

So, overall happy, but disappointed we didn't hold onto a third place that had our name on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kiith wrote: »
    So, seasons over for us, with just the Champions League to decide on our European dreams for next year. How do you all feel after such a topsy turvy season?

I can't help but be disappointed overall. Obviously, getting 4th is great if you had said at the start of the season that we'd get 4th, i'd have been delighted. But blowing a 9 point lead over Arsenal though has left a sour taste with me. Was it Harry to England, were the players just tired, or was it just bad luck? I don't know, but it sucked. From title contenders, to us not even thinking we'd get 6th.

The team has improved overall though, with some standout players this season. Kaboul and Walker are two of the most improved players in the league, and Friedel is rock solid for us. Really makes a difference when we have them playing. Hopefully Sandro can hold his place next season, as he was brilliant for the last few weeks. Also, i don't think Modric or Bale will leave in the summer.

We definitely need a few players though. Some more cover on the wings would be nice, and obviously a center back (Vertonghen) and a goalscorer (Remy?), and hopefully once Chelsea lose on Saturday we can get the deals done.

So, overall happy, but disappointed we didn't hold onto a third place that had our name on it.

In sport nothing has your name on it, until your name is on it. Just ask United or City at various stages int he past three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It's a hard one to measure in ways. Obviously we would have taken 4th at the start of the season, but for one thing, we would have assumed 4th would mean Champions League, and for another we wouldn't have known that 4th involved finishing behind our London rivals who we were 12 points ahead of in January.

I don't think Spurs can make much progress without getting Champions League football, to help us keep our best players and maybe sign some decent ones. So if Bayern beat Chelsea I'll call our season an overall success, and if not, its a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ormus wrote: »
    So if Bayern beat Chelsea I'll call our season an overall success, and if not, its a failure.

This is the key thing for me. While I'm happy we finished 4th, I'm not as happy as when we first did it because of the lead we blew and also the game on Saturday. If Bayern win, I'll relax and look forward to being involved in the CL again and hopefully making it past the qualifier!

If Chelsea win, this season will have to be viewed as a complete failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

There is concept in gambling but particularly blackjack where you forget everything that has happened before and each hand (or game if you will) is the only one that matters.

Reason I bring this up when it looked like we won't even finish in the top 6 I'm pretty sure that all of us here would have taken 4th. Then, by luck or good play we got it with points to spare.

Concentrating on the lost lead over other teams is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

ziedth wrote: »
    There is concept in gambling but particularly blackjack where you forget everything that has happened before and each hand (or game if you will) is the only one that matters.

Reason I bring this up when it looked like we won't even finish in the top 6 I'm pretty sure that all of us here would have taken 4th. Then, by luck or good play we got it with points to spare.

Concentrating on the lost lead over other teams is irrelevant.

That concept involves you assessing your goals from where you are at each point in time.

From where we were in January, we failed big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Indeed and at a more recent point in time then January (After QPR game for example) we would have sold our grandmother's to achieve 4th. that's what we should be happy with.

Additionally I don't think it's any coincidence that when Woy took the England job was the same time we took the thumb out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Any team that couldn't win a game for 3 months when it mattered would consider their season a failure.

I won't be deviating from this view. We finished 20 points behind man u & I am struggling to see how many of their players are better than ours. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

golfball37 wrote: »
    Any team that couldn't win a game for 3 months when it mattered would consider their season a failure.

I won't be deviating from this view. We finished 20 points behind man u & I am struggling to see how many of their players are better than ours. :(

this is true but there is a winning mentality and spirit that flows through united and this alone is worth its weight in gold.

City have it now because of last sunday, its a difficult mentality to get but once you have it , it tends to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

One massive game tomorrow, getting nervous and we're not even in it! #coybm

Tottenham%20Bayern%20Munich%20supporters%20club.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

If Bayern win, they will officially become my second team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

soo...yeah. Failure it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Rob094 wrote: »
    soo...yeah. Failure it is then.

Yep, we might as well have finished 5th. At least we wouldn't have been bothered with tonight's result. Complete failure of a season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have to say that i'm absolutely gutted tonight. The thoughts of going back to the Europa League is disheartening to say the least. I've a really bad feeling about this summer now, and all the prospects that we were looking at will likely reconsider joining us.

I almost hope that anyone who wants out is sold in the next 2 weeks, and we can start trying to rebuild. But i just know that won't happen, and it will drag on and on still August.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Still felt sick waking up this morning. This is the lowest I've felt being a Spurs fan and there's been plenty of ups and downs over the years but this is by far the worst and what's worse we weren't even playing. Still finding it hard to believe how Chelsea won.

Agree with last post about Ade and Modric gone. Real are already being linked to Modric this morning. Just get as much as we can for him now and let him go. I think Bale might stay another season but who knows.

It will interesting to see who we are linked with now but our bargaining power has taken a major step back.

All in the day of the Spurs supporter I guess. COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

so finishing 4th is now considered a failure by some on here, i must have missed something over the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Its not a failure finishing fourth however the aim was to be back in the CL next season and we aren't due to last nights events. (Through no fault of our own). Some will consider it a failure given how far clear of Arsenal we were at one point this season, however I think a lot us would have settled for fourth at the start of the season so for me its not a failure, however no CL is.

We have to be realistic of what happens the club going forward now and it could lead us losing a few of our top players and make it difficult for us to sign some top class players this summer.

keane=cock wrote: »
    hope robben is found hanging in his house but

Juvenile mate, im pretty sure he didnt intend to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

i know this won't help at all, but i'm an Arsenal fan and i genuinely feel sorry for you guys. That must be really hard to take. I can't begin to think how I'd be feeling had the situation been reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Time for a Arry, Bale and Modric to move on I say. If you beleive all the rumours then Arry is gonna be approached by Chelsea next week anyway.

If Bale and Modric want to go then its better to sell them for a fortune before they become a problem next season rather than an asset. We're not that far away and keeping players who clearly dont want to play for the club would actually pull us backwards. Modric spent half of last season like that.

4th is not failure but there's no point pretending that we're not dissapointed, CL was the Holy Grail. Arry blew it, not the players, not the club, Arry. I'm a Harry fan but I'm disgusted that he didnt make a statement of some sort around the England job and we deserved better after the support he got. No his time is done IMO. Bring on Martinez, let him spend the Bale/Modric money and hope that we can go forward rather than backwards, which is all that will happen next year if Arry stays.

Ultimate sickner would be to see Arry go to Chelsea and bring the boys with him though.

keane=cock wrote: »

summary= ****e season. dreading the summer transfer window, hate chelsea, hope robben is found hanging in his house but

absolutely disgraceful comment. total muck. Keep these comment for your own kind of people man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mushykeogh wrote: »
    so finishing 4th is now considered a failure by some on here, i must have missed something over the last 20 years.

When your a country mile ahead of 4th who are your rivals with their worst team in years, yes it's a failure when they finish ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

I'm pretty sure you haven't. Yeah if we were offered 4th at the start of the season (presuming that entailed champions league football)we would have taken it but considering the season we could/should have had, you can't help but see this year as a failure. Tottenham are a big club now so we have to start thinking like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

As a Man United fan, I feel absolutely gutted for Spurs. I really don't think it's fair that just because you win the CL means you get to qualify ahead of a team who have, over the course of the season, been a better team. I think they should let both Spurs and Chelsea in, Chelsea as champions and Spurs as 4th placed in England!

Hatch99 wrote: »
    When your a country mile ahead of 4th who are your rivals with their worst team in years, yes it's a failure when they finish ahead of you.

its disapointing, and a big blow, but a failure? Equalling your best ever prem league is a failure? Bizzare how you suddenly think spurs are now so big a club that fourth is a failure, just bizarre!

its disapointing, and a big blow, but a failure? Equalling your best ever prem league is a failure? Bizzare how you suddenly think spurs are now so big a club that fourth is a failure, just bizarre!

I want to aim for the best. And imo we should have finished better than 4th, is that ok with you ? Would you have taken 4th when we were x points ahead of the 4th place team ? Arsenal have just sold there best player, and there next best player when he left misses the whole season, and we still can't finish ahead of them, not good enough.

We are all gutted , absolutely gutted but being negative is a waste of time

Why don't we try and actually win the Europa league? It's still a cup in it's own right and being involvedin a European cup final would be awesome

Enough of the moaning and let's put silverware in the cabinet next season

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I want to aim for the best. And imo we should have finished better than 4th, is that ok with you ?
    Yes thats fine with me, i want us to aim for the best as well.
    Would you have taken 4th when we were x points ahead of the 4th place team ?
    Of course not, we all would have took it if offered after the first two games in August.

Arsenal have just sold there best player, and there next best player when he left misses the whole season, and we still can't finish ahead of them, not good enough.
    Henry, Fabregas, Nasri all leave, and they still finish above us, yes that means we are not good enough, yet. But considering we never bloody finished higher than 4th anyway, how is this season a failure.

3 seasons ago, man city were everyone's favorite for fourth, we finished ahead of them, 2 seasons ago, everyone was expecting them to be title contenders, yet they only finish 3rd. This season they win the title, but only after two goals in the last four minutes of injury time against a team fighting relegation.

And all that with a blank cheque book and players on excess of 200 thousand a week!

Our additions were a 40 year old goal keeper, a loanee from city ( who most on here either didn't want or didn't think he was good enough) and Parker, a midfielder from a relegated club (who most people on here said he wasn't good enough, too old and too slow, but turned out to be our player of the season).

Unless we have millions to spend (which we dont), it takes time to go from being a consistent top six side, to being a consistent top four side. I think we are going in the right direction, the Harry for England thing certainly screwed us, but we still recovered and finished fourth. The thing that really pisses us all off is the fact that chelsea won last night and dumped us out of champs league, otherwise we are all on here celebrating champs league for second time in three years today!

A sickener, yes, a pain in the hole yes, but not a failure of a season. Until we are consistently and repeatedly finishing second or third, can we call fourth a failure.

Dont forget we slipped up badly before the Harry saga broke, late goals against Newcastle and Swansea away were classic spurs, Ledley getting caught out against City and Arsenal cost us dearly. The table never lies, we havent developed as a side that can claim third. We are close, but not there yet.

Yes thats fine with me, i want us to aim for the best as well.

Of course not, we all would have took it if offered after the first two games in August.

Henry, Fabregas, Nasri all leave, and they still finish above us, yes that means we are not good enough, yet. But considering we never bloody finished higher than 4th anyway, how is this season a failure.

3 seasons ago, man city were everyone's favorite for fourth, we finished ahead of them, 2 seasons ago, everyone was expecting them to be title contenders, yet they only finish 3rd. This season they win the title, but only after two goals in the last four minutes of injury time against a team fighting relegation.

And all that with a blank cheque book and players on excess of 200 thousand a week!

Our additions were a 40 year old goal keeper, a loanee from city ( who most on here either didn't want or didn't think he was good enough) and Parker, a midfielder from a relegated club (who most people on here said he wasn't good enough, too old and too slow, but turned out to be our player of the season).

Unless we have millions to spend (which we dont), it takes time to go from being a consistent top six side, to being a consistent top four side. I think we are going in the right direction, the Harry for England thing certainly screwed us, but we still recovered and finished fourth. The thing that really pisses us all off is the fact that chelsea won last night and dumped us out of champs league, otherwise we are all on here celebrating champs league for second time in three years today!

A sickener, yes, a pain in the hole yes, but not a failure of a season. Until we are consistently and repeatedly finishing second or third, can we call fourth a failure.

Dont forget we slipped up badly before the Harry saga broke, late goals against Newcastle and Swansea away were classic spurs, Ledley getting caught out against City and Arsenal cost us dearly. The table never lies, we havent developed as a side that can claim third. We are close, but not there yet.

I'd still be saying the manager is not good enough for us, his performance as manager this season has been a disgrace, and he failed us when he came to the crunch in the last 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

... well lads, back after 2 weeks hols. Was boarding the plane home last night with the game in injury time. Proper gutted when the pilot announced the result somewhere over france...

Truth be told, I had fully prepared myself for the worse. I'm well used to been in these situations, as a spurs fan this kinda thing follows us around like a bad smell. Can anyone who's followed the rollcoaster that is spurs over the last 20 years honestly say they were surprised that events transpired the way they did.

Im a perverse sort of way I was glad Chelsea won (of course I want CL football at the lane next season, and I want us to keep our best players and sign more of them) but at the same time I think some of the spurs players (not them all) got exactly what they deserved : no CL football next season and a big dose of reality - if you fail to perform like you did for 8-10 weeks in a cruical part of the season then you deserve to lose out, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Just can't pick myself up off the floor today, I just can't get my head around finishing in the top four and missing out. People can say it is our own fault and so on but it does not lighten the pain, we have been robbed of CL and it bloody hurts. Tbh I have fallen a little out of love with football after all that happened last night, can't even think of a new season and having to do it all again with or without our star players.

Advertisement