Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11/12 Season Roundup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Just can't pick myself up off the floor today, I just can't get my head around finishing in the top four and missing out. People can say it is our own fault and so on but it does not lighten the pain, we have been robbed of CL and it bloody hurts. Tbh I have fallen a little out of love with football after all that happened last night, can't even think of a new season and having to do it all again with or without our star players.

Yes it hurts like fcuk mate. I am convinced our day will come though, maybe not next year, but we will have our day. We'll support you ever more...

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Just can't pick myself up off the floor today, I just can't get my head around finishing in the top four and missing out. People can say it is our own fault and so on but it does not lighten the pain, we have been robbed of CL and it bloody hurts. Tbh I have fallen a little out of love with football after all that happened last night, can't even think of a new season and having to do it all again with or without our star players.

That's exactly how I feel too, absolutely gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Yes it hurts like fcuk mate. I am convinced our day will come though, maybe not next year, but we will have our day. We'll support you ever more...

COYS

But shouldn't that have been this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Yes thats fine with me, i want us to aim for the best as well.

Of course not, we all would have took it if offered after the first two games in August.

Henry, Fabregas, Nasri all leave, and they still finish above us, yes that means we are not good enough, yet. But considering we never bloody finished higher than 4th anyway, how is this season a failure.

3 seasons ago, man city were everyone's favorite for fourth, we finished ahead of them, 2 seasons ago, everyone was expecting them to be title contenders, yet they only finish 3rd. This season they win the title, but only after two goals in the last four minutes of injury time against a team fighting relegation.

And all that with a blank cheque book and players on excess of 200 thousand a week!

Our additions were a 40 year old goal keeper, a loanee from city ( who most on here either didn't want or didn't think he was good enough) and Parker, a midfielder from a relegated club (who most people on here said he wasn't good enough, too old and too slow, but turned out to be our player of the season).

Unless we have millions to spend (which we dont), it takes time to go from being a consistent top six side, to being a consistent top four side. I think we are going in the right direction, the Harry for England thing certainly screwed us, but we still recovered and finished fourth. The thing that really pisses us all off is the fact that chelsea won last night and dumped us out of champs league, otherwise we are all on here celebrating champs league for second time in three years today!

A sickener, yes, a pain in the hole yes, but not a failure of a season. Until we are consistently and repeatedly finishing second or third, can we call fourth a failure.

Dont forget we slipped up badly before the Harry saga broke, late goals against Newcastle and Swansea away were classic spurs, Ledley getting caught out against City and Arsenal cost us dearly. The table never lies, we havent developed as a side that can claim third. We are close, but not there yet.

You talk a lotta sense in fairness Mushy. We would all have taken 4th at the start of the season but it feels so much like failure cos we blew 3rd and Chelsea took our champions league spot.

4th is a great result in ways and so utterly $hite in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

As like every Spurs fan on here, I'm gutted. It's taken me until now to bring myself to even look at the internet and I avoided Sky Sports News until this morning - for the first time in my life I was glad they were reporting on cricket.

I've come to realise that it's not just the disappointment of not getting Champions League football that has depressed me, but the manner in which it was snatched from our hands.

If Chelsea had of won the Final 3-0 I would have been less gutted. It was the fact that Bayern tried their hardest not to win - missed penos, one solitary corner kick poorly defended, missed chances.... and so on.

People will blame luck. They will say, things just didn't go "our way". But that's b0llox!

It's true what they say, you make your own luck. Luck only comes in to the equation when something doesn't work out for you - it's used to deflect attention from the real issue.

Just like Foster injuring himself the day before West Brom played Arsenal or Capello walking because John Terry is a racist scumbag. These are all poor deflections from the truth.

Arsenal drew with Norwich. The very next day our Champions League fate was in our hands. All the above excuses wouldn't have mattered an iota if we had beaten Villa away.

1-1 with 15 mins to go, they've had one shot ALL game and Harry Redknapp brings Scott Parker on for Van der Vaart.

THAT, for me, rounds up our season pretty well.

We had Champions League qualification in our hands, nothing else mattered. Our squad of players was easily the third strongest squad of players in the league. But through ridiculous man-management and poor tactics we ended up fourth in the league. This season fourth isn't good enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

1-1 with 15 mins to go, they've had one shot ALL game and Harry Redknapp brings Scott Parker on for Van der Vaart.

THAT, for me, rounds up our season pretty well.

VDV only came off in the 89 minute. Parker to hold, modric, sandro, lennon bale to go forward.

VDV only came off in the 89 minute. Parker to hold, modric, sandro, lennon bale to go forward.

Apologies for my sensationalist reporting.

I just felt that substitution, in the context of the season, summed up my complete lack of faith is Harry Redknapp's ability to take us any further.

Just checked it. There was eight minutes left at the time of the substitution. Enough time for Defoe to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Just checked it. There was eight minutes left at the time of the substitution. Enough time for Defoe to score.

But it was a tactical substitution. Everyone went forward, even Gallas who was effectively playing as a striker. Parker was brought on to facilitate these players going forward but Villa had 11 men behind ball. Pathetic at home against 10 men but very difficult to break down, especially a man down.

I just felt that substitution, in the context of the season, summed up my complete lack of faith is Harry Redknapp's ability to take us any further.

The gas thing is, if he took sandro or gallas off and and put on Saha or Dos Santos, Villa break in the 93rd (or 97th!)minute and score a winner, you would have no shortage of people criticizing Harry for chasing the game so late when we were down to ten men, away from home and had a point in the bag!

Remember as well, it wasnt Harrys fault the players couldnt take their chances that day, we only scored from a penalty.

• Advertisement

Yes, 7 minutes of injury time, and in every game ive seen VDV play he is usually shagged by 75 minutes, that and the fact he has a history of calf and hamstring strains i think it was a good substitution. People read Parker for VDV on paper and dont take it in the context of the game, its not as if he told Parker to go play in VDV position. It was to hold in order for the rest of the midfield to get forward.

Its like BAE against city, if his hoof forward finds defoe who scores, he is a legend, instead, he gives the ball away with seconds left that leads to a penalty.

Thats sport, you always make the correct decision in hindsight.

Lads, I understand it was a tactical decision, but it was the wrong tactical decision.

At that point Arsenal had dropped two points against Norwich and Newcastle were playing City. So, at 1-1 and with ten minutes to go the three points we would have gained from a goal were way more important than the point we would have dropped if they scored.

Lads, I understand it was a tactical decision, but it was the wrong tactical decision.

At that point Arsenal had dropped two points against Norwich and Newcastle were playing City. So, at 1-1 and with ten minutes to go the three points we would have gained from a goal were way more important than the point we would have dropped if they scored.

But it was an attempt to get the 3 points! how is that the wrong decision???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

But it was an attempt to get the 3 points! how is that the wrong decision???

an attempt to get 3 points ???? by bringing Parker on for VDV:eek: !! , how you make that out?

BERBA wrote: »
    an attempt to get 3 points ???? by bringing Parker on for VDV:eek: !! , how you make that out?

Jaysus lads, ive explained it above, in simple terms, parker came on and held midfield, everyone one else went forward, including Gallas as mentioned earlier.

BERBA wrote: »
    its not as if he told Parker to go play in VDV position. It was to hold in order for the rest of the midfield to get forward.
    But it was a tactical substitution. Everyone went forward, even Gallas who was effectively playing as a striker. Parker was brought on to facilitate these players going forward

And as i also said earlier, VDV was finished at this stage of the game and wasnt contributing much in the way of creativity, VDV off, Parker on, more license for Modric, Lennon, Bale and Sandro to get forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Jaysus lads, ive explained it above, in simple terms, parker came on and held midfield, everyone one else went forward, including Gallas as mentioned earlier.

so you think it was a right decision to throw Gallas up top , take VDV off and let parker sit.

Right :confused:

Yeah this is where I think we're disagreeing.

If he really wanted Parker on to hold the midfield, why didn't Parker come on for Gallas and put Defoe on for VDV?

If he really wanted Parker on to hold the midfield, why didn't Parker come on for Gallas and put Defoe on for VDV?

Because Villa had 11 players defending deep, two big feicers of centre halves with a defensive midfield sitting on top of them. Defoe is going to get zero space in the box and is not great man for winning headers in a crowded box.

At least with Parker holding the rest of the midfield, especially Lennon and Bale can offer more width to deliver a cross to Ade and Gallas, both good headers of a ball.

Defoe would just add numbers to an already congested area

so you think it was a right decision to throw Gallas up top , take VDV off and let parker sit.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's a fair point, but he probably felt that Gallas offered more of an ariel threat than Defoe and seeing as it was really last ditch stuff, wanted Gallas there to win any headers. With 11 men behind the ball, the chances of playing the ball into the goal were slim and unfortuantely we don't have any striker who can agressively attack a potential headed opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

AC Milan for losing a three goal lead
    Liverpool FC for being responsible for the CL rule to be written in the first place
    UEFA's bureaucracy
    Levy and the moneyball transfer tactic
    John Terry, we know what you are
    Fabio Capello for not caring what John Terry is
    The FA's dithering appointment process and blatant ambiguity and flirting
    The English press being utterly obsessed with HR
    HR for being utterly obsessed with HR
    Chris Hoy
    Chris Toy
    Even Chris Foy
    Jermain Defoe's short legs
    The heart operation
    The court case
    Lady Luck completely abandoning us and preferring to lift her skirt up for degenerates instead
    The lost footballing basics - lack of rotation, lack of focus, lack of doing what Bill Nicholson would have done
    Too much dithering on the touch line
    The London Underground
    Mario Balotelli
    The ball boy at QPR
    Countless disallowed goals
    Howard Webb just because
    Martin Atkinson and phantom goals
    Marton Fulop's 'botheredness'
    Glory hunting nubreed post-CL début plastic Spurs 'faithful' that think success is served up on a plate
    Andre Villas-Boas for giving Terry and Chelsea players 'massive chip on shoulder'
    Napoli for not taking their chances
    Barcelona for not taking their chances
    Real Madrid for choking
    Drogba
    Bayern Munich for not taking their chances and resembling Spurs
    Spurs for being the only club capable of losing a cup final they weren't even playing in
    Football for hating on Tottenham
    Quantum physics
    The Boogie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

AC Milan for losing a three goal lead
    Liverpool FC for being responsible for the CL rule to be written in the first place
    UEFA's bureaucracy
    Levy and the moneyball transfer tactic
    John Terry, we know what you are
    Fabio Capello for not caring what John Terry is
    The FA's dithering appointment process and blatant ambiguity and flirting
    The English press being utterly obsessed with HR
    HR for being utterly obsessed with HR
    Chris Hoy
    Chris Toy
    Even Chris Foy
    Jermain Defoe's short legs
    The heart operation
    The court case
    Lady Luck completely abandoning us and preferring to lift her skirt up for degenerates instead
    The lost footballing basics - lack of rotation, lack of focus, lack of doing what Bill Nicholson would have done
    Too much dithering on the touch line
    The London Underground
    Mario Balotelli
    The ball boy at QPR
    Countless disallowed goals
    Howard Webb just because
    Martin Atkinson and phantom goals
    Marton Fulop's 'botheredness'
    Glory hunting nubreed post-CL début plastic Spurs 'faithful' that think success is served up on a plate
    Andre Villas-Boas for giving Terry and Chelsea players 'massive chip on shoulder'
    Napoli for not taking their chances
    Barcelona for not taking their chances
    Real Madrid for choking
    Drogba
    Bayern Munich for not taking their chances and resembling Spurs
    Spurs for being the only club capable of losing a cup final they weren't even playing in
    Football for hating on Tottenham
    Quantum physics
    The Boogie

God I just put myself through hell there watching a bit of Sky Sports news and they showed Chelski's run to the trophy. Seriously how lucky can one team get, it is mind boggling how they won it. I know we lost 3rd place in spectacular fashion but My God did football hate on us big time or what.

God I just put myself through hell there watching a bit of Sky Sports news and they showed Chelski's run to the trophy. Seriously how lucky can one team get, it is mind boggling how they won it. I know we lost 3rd place in spectacular fashion but My God did football hate on us big time or what.

Spot on.
    Im trying to be positive, and believe that we will have our day of glory..hopefully I'll still be alive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Spot on.
    Im trying to be positive, and believe that we will have our day of glory..hopefully I'll still be alive :eek:

I am still in a bad place mate haha. Looking forward to the Euro's now and I am sure come July I will be hopping mad to get back to the Lane in August. TTID!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Spot on.

Course we will once we get a rich arab or russian billionaire owner in, Wont happen while Levy and Enic are at the helm!

I am still in a bad place mate haha. Looking forward to the Euro's now and I am sure come July I will be hopping mad to get back to the Lane in August. TTID!!!!

I'd go to the lane in the morning if i could, it would help us all move on, it's the waiting 3 months now that is a pain in the nuts.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Course we will once we get a rich arab or russian billionaire owner in, Wont happen while Levy and Enic are at the helm!

You could well be right mate, I'll continue to hope.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

yiddo59 wrote: »

If the Olymic stadium move had gone ahead Levy & ENIC would have been gone in a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Tell you whats p1ssing me right off.

All the PL tables on various websites and newspapers and on SSN etc are still showing the PL tables with the top 4 teams in a different shade of grey to indicate they have qualified for the CL and then a double line under spurs to show newcastle are going in to EL, its like they are still taunting us, the b*stards *L*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

chin up guys

we have loads to look forward to .

the belgian CB to sign, remy is a big possibility. Ade will stay on i would say.

Only risk is luca and to be honest if we get 40 then we should sell

Advertisement