Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Get Pleasure Out Of People You Don't Like See Die??

• 14-05-2012 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Interesting topic, I was speaking to guy recently who was telling me somebody he knew died last week (in a car crash).

I didn't know the guy but he was from school and I think he punched the guy I was speaking to in face breaking his nose because he accused him of 'harrasing his girlfriend' when he was about like 15.

I think he might have been a bit of school bully anyway, this was over 10 years ago but the nonetheless he died last week and the guy I was speaking to at work was absolutely reveling in it. He was so estatic to see that guy dead last week, laughing and joking about it to me.

Now I'd like to think I'm not that sort of person, I don't get pleasure seeing enemies/school bullies I know die, but he obviously did, and wishes his death was 'painful as possible'. He was talking about potentially urinating on his grave and all that stuff etc.

Would you get pleasure out of seeing someone you didn't like die? Like say an ex school bully who tormented you growing up or something? Do you get pleasure out of seeing enemies suffer in such awful circumstances??

I know some people do, its human nature sadly. I said to him that he potentially had no morals but then told me morals are for christians and the bible and he doesn't believe in religion or an afterlife. So he doesn't care, he hates him with a passion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Wow, what a heartless fçűker, no I wouldn't wish death on anyone nor would I revel in their death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of course not.

Maybe in an abstract way I think the death of killers, dictators and the like is poetic justice but not people I merely dislike.

Wasn't too upset when Russell Crowe killed that evil emperor that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Some people are assholes and maybe I wouldn't lose sleep if some of those assholes died but I certainly wouldn't revel in it.

In saying that there's nobody I "hate" (I can't think of anyone I know I even dislike) so I just can't share his perspective. But it seems wrong to get satisfaction from someone's death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I once expressed the sentiment of "No great loss" when I was told that a particularly sadistic, older person died, but certainly wasn't hoping they'd die, or wishing to defile their grave or anything.

I didn't get any pleasure out of their death, but nor did I feel any sadness, and I wasn't prepared to utter mealy-mouthed platitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

same as that guy, a real scum bag in school who gave me a few kickings. I tried to give as good as i got but he was 2 years older, so came off the worse. Anyway a year after school he died in a car crash(joy riding in stolen car)

That was a great day:D He can rot the scumbag pr*ck

Actually some guy did die years back that hassled me for a year or two when we were teenagers. He was a real angry f+cker and a year or two younger than me and I eventually caught him and bashed him but he would still throw stones or shout insults at me from a safe distance for a year or two after.

He got stabbed by someone in a fight and died a good few years after that but I wasn't happy in any way. That would be sick. He had a family and the whole thing just struck me as sad and a waste of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

I always try to take the approach that holding grudges or hatred towards someone only hurts the person holding the grudge, why bother feeding such horrible feelings towards someone else when it only makes you feel like crap, doesn't make an ounce of difference to them, just let it go.
    But then sometimes Im just too damn stubborn and childish to do that! But i don't think id ever be so bad as to enjoy their death.

ETA, I've been lucky enough that i haven't really been wronged in a terrible way by someone, id be lying if i said id never been hurt or whatever by someone coz i have been put through **** by some people but thinking about it if someone did something truly evil towards my child i can't honestly say i wouldn't feel differently so i don't think i judge anyone who would feel that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I'd like to see my dad die.
    Anyone else, no, not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Absolutely. It's happened, and in one case is happening, to cunntish sub-people I've known, and I'm/I have been delighted,

You probably need to study up on morality, because this wouldn't make anyone immoral.
    'Unforgiving' is the word you're looking for.
    It's because I have morals that I'm glad a person without them has died/is dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Might get pleasure from misfortune on someone I didn't like, certainly wouldn't revel in their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

The Dalai Lama himself said there is nothing wrong with "showing a lack of compassion" towards those of ill will who died.He said this in a response when asked about Osama Bin Laden's death.

Although that's a whole different story.

Merriment on the other hand,no.Why waste that energy hating someone who is no longer of this world when you wasted so much time hating them when they were alive.Cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Alive or dead, it wouldn't matter to me about the assholes I knew since I don't see them anymore but I wouldn't go as far to revel at the end of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As much as a dickhead someone might be, I wouldn't revel in the fact that'd died. Purely because their death will more than likely affect a lot of people in a bad way. Why be selfish about their death when their family is actually suffering?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd like to see my dad die.

Wow, that's pretty heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Would you get pleasure out of seeing someone you didn't like die? Like say an ex school bully who tormented you growing up or something? Do you get pleasure out of seeing enemies suffer in such awful circumstances??

No, I wouldn't. I think that if someone has done you wrong in the past it's something you need to let go of and move on with your life. Talking about pissing on someone grave is crazy talk, and clearly someone with issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

xzanti wrote: »
    Wow, that's pretty heavy.

There are reasons.
    Reasons I won't get into.
    He's not a good person, and no one will miss him when he's gone.

I think sometimes it derives from an unhealthy sense of impotence about not settling old scores. Like the op's pal probably should have hit the guy back or if that wasn't prudent, just got over being hit and forgotten about it. It's hardly a huge matter. To actually revel in somebody's death because they hit you suggests issues, as said.

OP's friend got a dig for supposedly harassing a girl and now gloats at somebodys death. Sounds nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't think I get pleasure out of anyone who has died.

There's not really anything I overall hate. I think hate is a very strong word. I have people who bother me sure but hate is a very overused term. There is however one person I hate, who has caused great damage to me personally and to my family and has changed mine and my families lives forever. I truly hate this person. There is also one family member who has a personality disorder who is very difficult to be around and has been very hard going and a huge burden over the years. I'll be relieved when both of these people passed definitely, but I certainly won't revel in it.

Even people like bin Laden. I didn't revel in him dying. I didn't really feel any emotions. I didn't know him. It was more just being stunned by the remarkable news that he'd finally died after all this time.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see my dad die

Luke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't think I've ever been happy that someone died, so to speak, in that I haven't gone around with a smile on my face as a result but I am glad when I hear of the death of dictators, racists, serial killers or so forth. Glad to see the back of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Burky126 wrote: »
    The Dalai Lama himself said there is nothing wrong with "showing a lack of compassion" towards those of ill will who died.

The Dalai Lama, he's a great lad and spot on in my own views on this subject. Anyone who has died who I've known to be an arséhole of the highest order, it would be my indifference to their death that would set me apart from my genuine sympathetic views on the death of people who I liked.

Wouldn't be all happy and dancing on their graves scenario as they're dead, what would they know about it? However if I had a chance to screw them over in the land of the living, then I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Interesting topic, I was speaking to guy recently who was telling me somebody he knew died last week (in a car crash).

I didn't know the guy but he was from school and I think he punched the guy I was speaking to in face breaking his nose because he accused him of 'harrasing his girlfriend' when he was about like 15.

I think he might have been a bit of school bully anyway, this was over 10 years ago but the nonetheless he died last week and the guy I was speaking to at work was absolutely reveling in it. He was so estatic to see that guy dead last week, laughing and joking about it to me.

Now I'd like to think I'm not that sort of person, I don't get pleasure seeing enemies/school bullies I know die, but he obviously did, and wishes his death was 'painful as possible'. He was talking about potentially urinating on his grave and all that stuff etc.

I know some people do, its human nature sadly. I said to him that he potentially had no morals but then told me morals are for christians and the bible and he doesn't believe in religion or an afterlife. So he doesn't care, he hates him with a passion.

Everyone should take a chill pill. Some should choke on it though....

Burky126 wrote: »
    The Dalai Lama himself said there is nothing wrong with "showing a lack of compassion" towards those of ill will who died.

Well that's that so.

Unless we get a beyond the grave communique from Ghandi, you can lock her up, mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Your mate sounds like a bit of a tool tbh. He clearly holds a grudge due to the punch thrown a decade ago but that's the kind of **** you just shake off and get over.

I reckon your mate is just a bit emotionally immature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I wouldn't take pleasure from anyone getting hurt, let alone dying.

Call me a softy, but I'm a very sympathetic person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Yes, in a number of cases I have. The world is definitely better off without some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I have no problem admitting that I have enjoyed reading some obituaries more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 king_kong_ill

a fat guy wrote: »
    I wouldn't take pleasure from anyone getting hurt, let alone dying.

Call me a softy, but I'm a very sympathetic person.

endure enough hardship and everyone hardens up , those who are so quick to rule out taking any pleasure from a persons death should be gratefull for the fortunate life they live

personally speaking , thier are two people who i would dearly love to see dead and one who i hope suffers , one has a personality disorder due to brain damage as a child and causes their family ( relatives of mine ) unimaginable grief , with regards the other , they are just plain evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

stovelid wrote: »
    Luke?

Actually, it was Leia.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I knew a guy once who stole some money from a drug dealer and managed to place the blame on me. This caused considerable hardship in my life at the time. Years later I found out he had been shot dead at a party. I wasn't jumping up and down with glee, but I realised that I preferred him dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

To be honest, if people are assholes, I'd have no feelings about it if they died, good, bad or indifferent. I wouldn't revel in it, but I'd probably think one less asshole in the world, or the world is a better place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Me trying to read and make sense of that thread title = http://thecaptainsblogdotme.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/jackie-chan-meme1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There are plenty that I wouldn't be sad about if I heard. Several that I think the world would be better off without. But happy? I dunno if I could ever go that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Anyways its usually the good who die young and generally that seems to be true. Assholes for the most part seem to live a long time for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes. I like it when bad people die.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

Yes. It has happened once or twice to me in life that i was glad to hear someone had died. So yeah it would be pleasure for a moment. Then i would carrying on doing what i doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I might not feel as sorry as I would for other people but I would never wish death on anyone.
    You would have to have a really deep hatred of someone to enjoy hearing about their death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I don't think its enjoyment as much as relief is someone in your life who has done something dreadful dies as in rape or murder when they die you have to feel content that you will never have to run into that person or hopefully hear about them again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement