Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McLeish and Villa are done! Solskjaer heavily rumoured

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villa need a a manager who can make the players happy and proud to play for Villa. He also has to be able to make the fans smile again.

Get those 2 things happening and success (relative) will follow.
    Villa as a club are depressed and need a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Stolen from VT where it was stolen from twitter :D
    Alex McLeish's sacking is taking longer than expected because he's trying to draw his job rather than lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I think it's quite clear that McLeish isn't the manager that someone like Villa need to take them forward. His tactics, transfer dealings and player management skills are all average at best. Lambert, Martinez, Coyle and Poyet would all be upgrades and would all probably take the job if offered.

mcleish doesn't come close to average

and ive got a pair of headphones on my desk beside me that would be a step up from him

matrim wrote: »
    Aston Villa can confirm that Alex McLeish's contract has been terminated with immediate effect.

The club has been disappointed with this season's results, performances and the general message these have sent to our fans.

The board wishes to assure supporters that we are conscious in every sense that Villa expects and deserves more and we will strive to deliver this.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner said: "We need to be clear and candid with ourselves and with supporters about what we have lacked in recent years.

"Compelling play and results that instil a sense of confidence that Villa is on the right track have been plainly absent.

"The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations."

Chief Executive Paul Faulkner said: "We'd like to thank Alex for his hard work and efforts throughout this tough season.

"We are mindful of the club's need to prepare thoroughly for the new campaign and for the new manager to be able to begin working with the board so that he is quickly immersed in these preparations and also in the long-term objectives of the club.

"Our focus now will be driven by these imperatives and we will update when appropriate."

WOOP WOOP :D:D:D icon_angry.gifbuddy_cheers.gifbuddy_cheers.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Nice pay day for Mcleish.

Scarlett for him after yesterdays post match comments.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Nice pay day for Mcleish.

Scarlett for him after yesterdays post match comments.

Rumour he won't get much due to clause in contract regarding under performing like we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JPA wrote: »
    Rumour he won't get much due to clause in contract regarding under performing like we did.

only right, nice clause who ever drew it up deserves a pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

YES!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Will they go for Martinez again?

• Advertisement

IPAM wrote: »

Lambert is favourite, I think he will get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'd say Martinez & Lambert are the favorites to get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Prob be Trevor Francis or Steve Bruce imo.....

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wh00T!

This song is playing in my head right now

Will he want it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Will he want it?
    Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hopefully we wont see Mc Leish's ugly mug in the EPL again ,it will be a relief not having to listen to him making excuses after every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

listermint wrote: »
    only right, nice clause who ever drew it up deserves a pat on the back.

Absolutely. Other clubs should follow suit, as it's a bit of a joke that a manager could walk away with a small fortune after hopelessly underperforming. Villa have been crap all season and only avoided relegation by virtue of having even worse teams below them. 38 pts used to get you relegated. He's a terrible manager who will do well to land a job like that again. No positives to be taken from his tenure whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Other clubs should follow suit, as it's a bit of a joke that a manager could walk away with a small fortune after hopelessly underperforming. Villa have been crap all season and only avoided relegation by virtue of having even worse teams below them. 38 pts used to get you relegated. He's a terrible manager who will do well to land a job like that again. No positives to be taken from his tenure whatsoever.

well except his departure that is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'd say Martinez & Lambert are the favorites to get the job.

Around Lunchtime odds with PP were

Martinez 15/8
    Lambert 3/1......now 5/2 I think
    Benitez 10/1

Sorry thats all I got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I am unconvinced Lambert will want it. He's not like most managers.

G.K. wrote: »

his post match interview yesterday suggested he's not sure he'll be at norwich next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Couldn't stand the man and absolutely delighted he's done, shocking shocking manager. God help whoever his next victims are, if he gets another PL job it will be a miracle, a proven relegation expert is McLeish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Helix wrote: »

his post match interview yesterday suggested he's not sure he'll be at norwich next season

Indeed, as blatant a 'come and get me Villa' plea as you can get.

Personally I'm still not convinced someone with 1 season in the PL managing is the answer.

Rename thread to next Villa manager mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This will pretty much end McLeish's career. Villa were the peak. He'll maybe get one or two lower league jobs but he's the new Megson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Benitez is 11/1. Worth €20 for a punt. Can't see Martinez taking the job when they are even worse off now. Or Lambert for that matter. I don't think Benitez would be a good appointment, reckon he'd do as bad a job as McLeish personally. But I could see him getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

token101 wrote: »
    Benitez is 11/1. Worth €20 for a punt. Can't see Martinez taking the job when they are even worse off now. Or Lambert for that matter. I don't think Benitez would be a good appointment, reckon he'd do as bad a job as McLeish personally. But I could see him getting it.

Rafa is 17/1 on Betfair.

token101 wrote: »

Good or bad, he won't get it.

Could Martinez be holding out for a better job? He's 5/2 to replace Kenny D at Liverpool!! Lambert is 6/4 and Martinez 7/4 according to SSN, Rafa 8/1, Curbishley 10/1 for Villa

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Rafa is 17/1 on Betfair.

Don't have an account, had problems with them before.
    Good or bad, he won't get it.

I tihnk he's a better shout than the top two anyway. I could see them going for Poyet.

I might even throw a cheeky €10 on Schteve McKlaren :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was such a bizarre appointment to begin with - the world and its dog could see how utterly insipid it was. It's a minor miracle that they weren't relegated; I don't think any team (including the relegated teams - perhaps Wolves aside) were as downright spineless as Villa were throughout the entire season. He really defies convention that managers need to be given more time - he really needed to go.

I wouldn't rule out Martinez - it seemed like he gave the job a lot of thought last season before sticking by Wigan; though you'd wonder would their spectacular finish to the season make him more inclined to build on it next season. I think he and Lambert are the most likely candidates.

It was such a bizarre appointment to begin with - the world and its dog could see how utterly insipid it was. It's a minor miracle that they weren't relegated; I don't think any team (including the relegated teams - perhaps Wolves aside) were as downright spineless as Villa were throughout the entire season. He really defies convention that managers need to be given more time - he really needed to go.

I wouldn't rule out Martinez - it seemed like he gave the job a lot of thought last season before sticking by Wigan; though you'd wonder would their spectacular finish to the season make him more inclined to build on it next season. I think he and Lambert are the most likely candidates.

I could see Martinez taking over as Head Coach at Liverpool and Dalglish moving upstairs to Sporting Director or Director of Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Personally I'm still not convinced someone with 1 season in the PL managing is the answer.

He acts pretty strange in inteviews over his future. Just ask Norwich fans about when Burnley came calling last year.

Have a look at this: http://www.holtamania.com/2012/05/14/keep-calm-and-stop-worrying-about-lambert/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't be surprised to see a dof as I said earlier and then maybe Bob Bradley as coach. He is currently managing the Egypt national team. He has made it clear in the past that he would love to manage in Europe if the opportunity arose. He was supposedly in contention for the Villa job after O'Neill left I think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

He acts pretty strange in inteviews over his future. Just ask Norwich fans about when Burnley came calling last year.

Have a look at this: http://www.holtamania.com/2012/05/14/keep-calm-and-stop-worrying-about-lambert/

Not much in that link tbf beyond an overly confident Norwich fan who thinks that after one season back in the PL, after years yo-yoing up and down the leagues, that the Villa job isn't a "step up" for Lambo.

He's wrong and the Villa job is just that bit more appealing then fricking Burnley.

Having said that, I'm still wary of a manager with one ok-ish pl season under his belt.

the structure will change to:

Lerner
    Faulkner (from CEO to CFO)
    Comolli (DoF)
    Manager

Would Slaven Bilic be worth a few quid???????

Edit: Just saw he's new Lokomotiv Moscow coach after the Euros

the structure will change to:

Lerner
    Faulkner (from CEO to CFO)
    Comolli (DoF)
    Manager

? Comoli has denied being at VP BTW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bout time he was releaved of his dutied. I never figured out how he got the job in the first place.

A good few of the players need a kick in the arse though, some really poor attitudes on display when they took to the field this season. A lot of work to be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Heskey will still probably be up front next year. :)

AM was rubbish but the players were crap also. any manager would struggle with them.

• Advertisement

Heskey will still probably be up front next year. :)

AM was rubbish but the players were crap also. any manager would struggle with them.

he's out of contract

houllier finished 9th with much the same squad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

when was this...

you need to move with the times, houllier:rolleyes:

when was this...

that would be last season

you know, the one before this season with the manager who was in charge before mcleish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

when was this...

Yeah, their wasn't even color tv back then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Suprised at the apparant clamour to get Lambert. Managed to keep Norwich up in their first season in the premier league like so many other managers have done with promoted sides. Norwich will probably go down next year and there'll be a new flavour of the month manager. I'd like to see villa try to get a manager in from abroad, or failing that somone like Martinez who has done in the premier league for a few seasons not just one would be better than lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Suprised at the apparant clamour to get Lambert. Managed to keep Norwich up in their first season in the premier league like so many other managers have done with promoted sides. Norwich will probably go down next year and there'll be a new flavour of the month manager. I'd like to see villa try to get a manager in from abroad, or failing that somone like Martinez who has done in the premier league for a few seasons not just one would be better than lambert.
    Did the rest of said managers bring their club from League One consecutively to where they are now?

Also bear in mind that the last game of the season before Lambert arrived was a 7-1 defeat.

Absolutely no reason to judge Lambert on what any other manager has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Really? You're able to tell the future that we'll go down next year? On what basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Everyone in the thread getting a bit narky?

Thought we would be all delighted with AML gone...

Anyone need a hug to cheer them up? If so, send a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Yes....yes they are

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

kensutz wrote: »
    Really? You're able to tell the future that we'll go down next year?
    I said probably, try reading what people actually write
    On what basis?
    On the basis that norwich are a championship side full of championship standard players and I can't imangine they'll be spending huge money this summer. How many clubs have come up done well in their first season and then gone down the year after or been very close to it? It's been the same for years, don't get defensive, get realistic.

Anyway back on topic, Lambert might be a good manager but I think he's not the right man for Villa at this time. Given the changes that need to be made at Villa I think they need a strong experienced manager.

Advertisement