Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McLeish and Villa are done! Solskjaer heavily rumoured

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Everyone in the thread getting a bit narky?

Thought we would be all delighted with AML gone...

Anyone need a hug to cheer them up? If so, send a PM

I'll pass on the hug thanks but I think our resident Norwich fan might need one when Villa or the baggies poach Lambo :-D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I said probably, try reading what people actually write

On the basis that norwich are a championship side full of championship standard players and I can't imangine they'll be spending huge money this summer. How many clubs have come up done well in their first season and then gone down the year after or been very close to it? It's been the same for years, don't get defensive, get realistic.

Anyway back on topic, Lambert might be a good manager but I think he's not the right man for Villa at this time. Given the changes that need to be made at Villa I think they need a strong experienced manager.

I agree than Lambert is not the right man for the Villa job, all beit not for the reasons you have outlined, Lamberst stock is far too high for Villa tbh and he will in time do alot better.

To dismiss Lambert as some sort of one season wonder is laughbale and shows a distinct lack of knowledge of anything outside the Premier League.

I said probably, try reading what people actually write

On the basis that norwich are a championship side full of championship standard players and I can't imangine they'll be spending huge money this summer. How many clubs have come up done well in their first season and then gone down the year after or been very close to it? It's been the same for years, don't get defensive, get realistic.

Anyway back on topic, Lambert might be a good manager but I think he's not the right man for Villa at this time. Given the changes that need to be made at Villa I think they need a strong experienced manager.

I agree than Lambert is not the right man for the Villa job, all beit not for the reasons you have outlined, Lamberst stock is far too high for Villa tbh and he will in time do alot better.

To dismiss Lambert as some sort of one season wonder is laughbale and shows a distinct lack of knowledge of anything outside the Premier League.

Hilarious. I look forward to dredging up this overly-fawning post when Lambo ends up at Villa or WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

G.K. wrote: »
    I am unconvinced Lambert will want it. He's not like most managers.

He has no ambition?

Hilarious. I look forward to dredging up this overly-fawning post when Lambo ends up at Villa or WBA.

Villa the new Liverpool?? Deluded fans with no concept of reality or where they stand in the pecking order, at least Liverpool had a far more successful past, and ye need not think now that Alec McCleish is gone that all your problems have gone with him, Lerner is still there and as long as remains in control Villa will remain in the bottom third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Villa the new Liverpool?? Deluded fans with no concept of reality or where they stand in the pecking order, at least Liverpool had a far more successful past, and ye need not think now that Alec McCleish is gone that all your problems have gone with him, Lerner is still there and as long as remains in control Villa will remain in the bottom third.

Who compared Villa to Liverpool? Also why is having a chairman like Randy Lerner a bad thing?

I think the only deluded posters on this thread are the ones who think that managers like Paul Lambert, Roberto Martinez & Brendan Rodgers are too good for a club like Aston Villa.

Nonsense, you're talking out your arse tbf. You only start following the PL last year as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

My question would be how much do Villa fans think Lerner will back the new manager financially. Martinez and Lambert will certainly get higher wages but around how much will they be given to spend?

Neither of those managers are "too big" for Villa. Considering Villa's infrastructure, location, history and money spent on signings like Darren Bent, N'Zogbia, etc, I think Villa would be an excellent career move for both, provided they are given the sufficient amount to spend to build their own squad.

Nonsense, you're talking out your arse tbf. You only start following the PL last year as well?

He does a lot of that and frequents a lot of different club threads on here to spout useless ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Lerner is still there and as long as remains in control Villa will remain in the bottom third.

villa have been in the bottom third once since lerner took over in 2006

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    My question would be how much do Villa fans think Lerner will back the new manager financially. Martinez and Lambert will certainly get higher wages but around how much will they be given to spend?

Who ever comes in Randy Lerner will back them financially. I'd even say that around £30m will be available for players as long as their wages are realistic and the rest of the O'Neill era high earners are sold/released.

Even over the last two season when the clubs finances were under severe scrutiny he gave Houllier over *£30m to spend on players and he even gave McLeish over £18m even though he cried poverty all season. That's nearly £50m over two seasons after giving O'Neill £120m to spend on players (it was the massive Champions League wages that made him reevaluate the clubs financial constraints).

How many clubs outside of 8 (swapping Liverpool for Everton) have financial muscle like that?

(*not including the £8m spent on Ireland)
    TaosHum wrote: »
    Neither of those managers are "too big" for Villa. Considering Villa's infrastructure, location, history and money spent on signings like Darren Bent, N'Zogbia, etc, I think Villa would be an excellent career move for both, provided they are given the sufficient amount to spend to build their own squad.

At last, a poster with some common sense and can see the bigger picture instead of being blinkered by one bad season.

I know posters were getting upset on here but the amount of knuckle draggers with goldfish memories cropping up on this thread was ridiculous. I mean calling an ever present Premier League club that has constantly had top 10 finishes over 20 seasons 'small time' after one predictably bad season is actually cringe worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think it's a tiny bit on the hypocritical side for Villa fans to be belittling Norwich tbh. Memories of Liverpool fans claiming Barry would be crazy not to head to Merseyside should be fresh enough in memory to inhibit similar obnoxious behaviour towards Norwich fans re: their manager.

Fact of the matter is, Norwich fans won't see the move as a step up; Villa fans will. He will either move, or he won't. We'll just have to wait and see. There's no real point lowering the tone to a pissing contest about which is a bigger club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

12 months ago nobody knew or cared who Paul Lambert was, so I don't buy that he is now our messiah after one good season. Decent manager no doubt, but not the man for Villa.

Randy needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat here.

Savman wrote: »
    12 months ago nobody knew or cared who Paul Lambert was

That's a bit harsh, surely. 12 months ago he had just secured back to back promotion. A fair few people cared who he was!

12 months ago nobody knew or cared who Paul Lambert was, so I don't buy that he is now our messiah after one good season. Decent manager no doubt, but not the man for Villa.

In fairness to him he did win promotion with Norwich in consecutive seasons and has them playing an attractive style of football.

The only think getting on my wick is that the average calibre of managers being mentioned are deemed too good for Villa and that teams like Norwich, Swansea and Wigan are now suddenly on par with Villa after finishing above them in the table :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well considering he was a fairly famous player with Celtic and Borussia Dortmund a fair few knew who he was added. Coupled with back to back promotions he was certainly getting peoples attention.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think it's a tiny bit on the hypocritical side for Villa fans to be belittling Norwich tbh. Memories of Liverpool fans claiming Barry would be crazy not to head to Merseyside should be fresh enough in memory to inhibit similar obnoxious behaviour towards Norwich fans re: their manager.

Fact of the matter is, Norwich fans won't see the move as a step up; Villa fans will. He will either move, or he won't. We'll just have to wait and see. There's no real point lowering the tone to a pissing contest about which is a bigger club.

I don't think anyone is disrespecting Norwich Neil, rather we're just going off Lambo's own comments post the Villa game where he made it quite clear he's thinking of moving on.

Similarly, I don't think its disrespectful to suggest Norwich might struggle next season with or wIthout PL, 2nd season syndrome is pretty common.

People that only watch MOTD maybe, but anyone that knew anything about football knew about Lambert, and he wasnt a half bad player either ;)

Back to back managers of the year with Norwich, took Wycombe to a league cup semi where they really were unlucky against Chelsea and then finishes he's first year in the PL by not only retaining their status but finishing a very impressive 12th ( a mere point outside the T10) all these achieved while playing an attractive brand of football.

I don't think anyone is disrespecting Norwich Neil, rather we're just going off Lambo's own comments post the Villa game where he made it quite clear he's thinking of moving on.

Similarly, I don't think its disrespectful to suggest Norwich might struggle next season with or wIthout PL, 2nd season syndrome is pretty common.

What did he say Invincible I didnt actually see the interview?

As for the second season syndrome, yes there are plenty of examples but tbf there are plenty who didnt suffer from it and have established themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

So we're a Championship side yet the only teams to do the double on us are Man Utd and Man City? If that makes us Championship, then it makes Villa League 1 at that rate. There is money to spend and Lambert knows where it needs to be strengthened and said there will be more players coming in.

• Advertisement

What did he say Invincible I didnt actually see the interview?

As for the second season syndrome, yes there are plenty of examples but tbf there are plenty who didnt suffer from it and have established themselves.

On mobile so can't link but to paraphrase his comments when asked about his future, PL ummed and ahhed and gave no commitment to staying where he is.

The impression I got from them was very much of a man willing to to have a look at any job offers on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I actually think Lambert would be a great fit for Villa. He is getting a great response out of some average players in fairness. Thats no disrespect to Norwich just i think Lambert has them playing above their ability. Villa have alot of decent young players. If they dont have much to spend i think he would be a great capture for Villa.

I just don't see the next Villa manager being any of the names touted so far. Houllier and McLeish both arose pretty much overnight, while other names were leading the charge. My money'd be on a complete outsider like Zdeněk Zeman or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I just don't see the next Villa manager being any of the names touted so far. Houllier and McLeish both arose pretty much overnight, while other names were leading the charge. My money'd be on a complete outsider like Zdeněk Zeman or something.
    You actually think Lerner & co have any idea who he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That will never happen!

JPA wrote: »
    That will never happen!

It'd be class though! Talk about the antithesis to McLeish. We'd either win 5-0 or lose 4-0 each week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Mick McCarthy is now favourite on PP! 6/5 :pac:

Paul Faulkner gave this interview to the Birmingham Mail earlier today.
    “We’ve had to make the change with Alex now and you’re constantly evaluating yourselves,.

“The season didn’t go the way we would have wanted and we have to look for reasons why that may be. If we were happy with mediocrity or a season like this, then we wouldn’t be making changes."

“I think we want to find someone who can reinvigorate the club, someone who can bring some vibrancy back to Villa. That’s what we need and that’s what we can get."

“You want someone who can inspire the players, inspire the fans and can deliver on the pitch.”

“I think there’s an awful lot of reasons you would want to come to Aston Villa."

“You look at the size of the club, you look at the infrastructure that we have here, both the facility at the training ground is one of the best in the country and our academy is one of the best in the country, our stadium is one of the best in the country, we have a fantastic owner who loves the club and has supported his managers, the club’s history, the fans are phenomenal, why would you not want to come here?"

“That’s what Villa is, it’s a great club. Now, the past two years the first team has struggled but Aston Villa as a club is very strong.”

“We know there needs to be improvement and that’s what we’re going to be aiming for.”

“The fans have been great and they supported the team throughout,” he said."

“I know there has been a lot of focus on some of the attitudes towards the managers but the fans have been fantastic and really stuck by the team throughout."

“It’s important that any guy comes in can start winning and utilise what we have at the club and the fans will support them."

“It’s now a fresh start for us. The 2011/12 season is gone, obviously the decision has been made with Alex and for us now it’s all about the future."

“It’s about the new manager, it’s about next season, it’s about bouncing back and getting Villa back where we should be, where we feel we should be.”

“My phone has been going non-stop since yesterday."

“We are very focused on this and we will give it absolutely everything."

“Obviously there’s lots of people to discuss and consult and take advice from and that will be done. We will move forward and aim to get the right man and the best man possible for Aston Villa."

“I think you never want to put a timeframe on it. Obviously we made a decision very quickly at the end of the season on Alex and so now our aim is to bring somebody in as soon as we can."

“The time element is something we only control a part of but we don’t want to hang around now."

Hopefully it'll be third times a charm in regards to himself & Lerner finding the best manager for the job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

OGS now the heavy favourite for the job after rumours of Randy Lerners private jet going to Norway to pick him up lead to suggestions that we had started negotiations with him a few months back. The Guardian had to take down an announcement of him as the new Villa boss too but it seems only a temporary messure.

A risky appointment yes but Villa taking a risk on a young likeable manager who has his Molde team playing good attractive football and winning things is one the Villa fans will welcome after McLeish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

A risky appointment yes but Villa taking a risk on a young likeable manager who has his Molde team playing good attractive football and winning things is one the Villa fans will welcome after McLeish.

how many games have you seen molde play? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can someone correct the spelling in the thread title?

I'll fix the spelling when I get home in 2hrs
    jive wrote: »

how many games have you seen molde play? :S

I can read a report about a manager though and find out such things. I'd also recommend the documentary posted in the villa thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If it does go ahead, I'll be buzzing to see Ole back in the league. Possibly a good time to come into the job too - he's the antithesis of McLeish, one of the club's most unpopular managers ever, and for that reason he might get the time and patience needed to make himself a success. I don't think he's inheriting a bad squad either; performances last season were just spineless, but if they had played to their potential they shouldn't have finished anywhere near where they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »
    Can someone correct the spelling in the thread title?

Donezo

This is the documentary I spoke of from the Villa thread

10mins in is an interesting thing about the way he changed Molde's style of play which would be of interest with regards Villa.
    Raekwon wrote: »
    Interesting insight on OGS the manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Really would be a great coup for Villa. Done great wit the United reserves and won Molde their first ever league title in his first season. Hopefully the next United manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Do Villa have a DOF? Wonder if it would be a good idea to get one in. Trusting a relatively new manager with £30m at a club like Villa is a risk. This £30m needs to be spent well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You do realise that he has a Champions League Medal? So he knows what it's like to win. With Dortmund and also winning everything in Scotland, which he did under former Villa manager Martin O'Neill.

It's no accident that O'Neill turned out a very good manager after playing under Clough. So it's no accident that Lambert turned out a decent manager after playing under O'Neill.

Just as important, he hasn't just had one good season. He's had 4 good seasons in a row now.

But don't worry, he won't go near Villa. He's close friend with MON so I can't see him moving to Birmingham after MON's falling out. Not out of loyalty or anything, I just reckon he'd be turned off after consulting MON.

I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't think his results with the reserves should make a huge difference. If it did then surely Kevin MacDonald would be the villa manager as he won the reserves 3 years in a row with villa.

kraggy wrote: »
    12 months ago nobody knew or cared who Paul Lambert was, so I don't buy that he is now our messiah after onke good season. Decent manager no doubt, but not the man for Villa.

You do realise that he has a Champions League Medal? So he knows what it's like to win. With Dortmund and also winning everything in Scotland, which he did under former Villa manager Martin O'Neill.

It's no accident that O'Neill turned out a very good manager after playing under Clough. So it's no accident that Lambert turned out a decent manager after playing under O'Neill.

Just as important, he hasn't just had one good season. He's had 4 good seasons in a row now.

But don't worry, he won't go near Villa. He's close friend with MON so I can't see him moving to Birmingham after MON's falling out. Not out of loyalty or anything, I just reckon he'd be turned off after consulting MON.

I could be wrong though.

I think you over rate both MON's managerial ability and PL's potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Solskjaer would be a very risky appointment, but it could also turn out to be a very inspired one. I'd actually love this to happen because it would be fascinating to see how he gets on. I think he could turn out to be a really good manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As a United fan, I am thrilled over this. I worried about the talks of him taking over the United job with zero PL experience. Will be following Villa very closely from now on if this goes through...

Or you greatly overrate the lure of the Villa job??

Or you greatly overrate the lure of the Villa job??

Not really no. You realise MON spent 4 yrs at Villa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Oh I wasn't saying that Lambert is excellent or indeed ready for a step up. I was just saying that he hasn't had just one good season and also, that everyone who knows anything about soccer knew of him before this year.

Re MON, I think he's been a very good manager but not a great one. He has plenty of faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You dont know much about football, do you? Maybe you should do abit of research on someone/something you dont know anything about before informing the internet of your ignorance.

Lambert done his coaching badges in Germany and he's a great believer in how the German clubs train as opposed to the British. Villa have good players but not organised or fired up for long spells last year, Lambert would change that first then go about changing the squad to what he wants.

Fully aware of it, and do you realise that the season before MON took over Villa had finished 16th (ring a bell??) and in hes last three years they finished in 6th, improving their points tally each season, were you expecting him to win the league or what??

And its not just isolated to Villa either, look at he's record with Wycombe, Leicster and Celtic for further evidence.

Fully aware of it, and do you realise that the season before MON took over Villa had finished 16th (ring a bell??) and in hes last three years they finished in 6th, improving their points tally each season, were you expecting him to win the league or what??

And its not just isolated to Villa either, look at he's record with Wycombe, Leicster and Celtic for further evidence.

Ah a MON fanboy, no wonder you're a bit pissy with Villa.

Ah a MON fanboy, no wonder you're a bit pissy with Villa.

Not a MON fanboy at all, but nice mature response :rolleyes:

MON has faults as a manager the primary one of course been that he leaves clubs in alot of debt and crippled with high earners, but you cannot argue with he's results on the field and the fact that he gets the most out of relativley limited players.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Not a MON fanboy at all, but nice mature response :rolleyes:

MON has faults as a manager the primary one of course been that he leaves clubs in alot of debt and crippled with high earners, but you cannot argue with he's results on the field and the fact that he gets the most out of relativley limited players.

Yeah but one of the biggest problems is that he pays those same limited players too much.

EDIT: Heskey's wages are ridiculous and his goals ratio doesn't even come close to justifying them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement