Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple to drop Google Maps from next iPhone, to reveal new ‘3D mode’

• 14-05-2012 10:30am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link
    Apple’s growing enmity with Google will extend to the sixth generation of the iPhone due out in September and the first casualty will be Google Maps. Apple reportedly plans to replace this with its own mapping service that will include 3D capabilities.

Read more here

All speculation I'm sure but interesting none the less

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No street view :eek:
    Surely google maps will still be available to download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Youtube app next on the chopping block!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This post has been deleted.

You can buy/download for free many sat nav apps.

I've used a few. I find tom tom the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

In fairness the YouTube app needs some reworking, the results displayed on the mobile site are often very different to those from a desktop.

An example is if searching for a popular song, most often on the app you are presented with about 7 cover versions with hundreds of views, instead of the official version that would have thousands if not millions of views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Gileadi wrote: »
    In fairness the YouTube app needs some reworking, the results displayed on the mobile site are often very different to those from a desktop.

An example is if searching for a popular song, most often on the app you are presented with about 7 cover versions with hundreds of views, instead of the official version that would have thousands if not millions of views

That has something to do with licences, apparently. I don't think it's a shortcoming in the app, as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

brophs wrote: »
    That has something to do with licences, apparently. I don't think it's a shortcoming in the app, as such.

Ye its to do with being able to access the music on a mobile device :(

Hate the way Google and Apple dont get on, really hope google release a stand alone app for maps and that apple accept the app into the app store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This is a demo from the Saab spin-off company that Apple purchased a while back, so it should give an idea of how the maps will look.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I do a lot of travelling and I use free Google Maps on the iPhone 4S.

Also I dont want a tablet but I do like the size of the Samsung Note for online docs etc and am more than willing to live with its size as a phone.

I also use Google docs etc, so thanks Apple you are making up my mind for me! My next upgrade will not be an iPhone! Feck off Apple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you like Google maps you'd love Google Navigation, if the iphone5 has neither I wouldn't touch it with a dirty stick.
    I thought Google Navigation was something that was missing badly from the iphone.
    Android ftw!!!

• Advertisement

I wonder if this will apply to iOS 6 on all devices? If so I'll be keeping my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 and may even have to consider switching to the dark side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Hate the way Google and Apple dont get on, really hope google release a stand alone app for maps and that apple accept the app into the app store

Well if they do hopefully it will be better than their other apps.

Anyway, apart from the lose of Street View, this change sounds like it will benefit iPhone users.

Anyone know what the Apple Maps coverage is in Ireland?

For example - could it find the townland of Rathdoony More in Co Sligo or Loreto Row in Dublin as easily as Google maps on the iPhone? Or is it just for the yanks, brits and Japanese?

If its rubbish, then its off to the dark side I go! No I dont want Tomtom!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Apple Maps coverage is in Ireland?

For example - could it find the townland of Rathdoony More in Co Sligo or Loreto Row in Dublin as easily as Google maps on the iPhone? Or is it just for the yanks, brits and Japanese?

If its rubbish, then its off to the dark side I go! No I dont want Tomtom!

Many thanks.
    It's not even released yet and you're asking how good is it

guil wrote: »

He does have a point though, apple always do this , they release a product that has all these features and then when you finally get it, you realise Ireland has been left out in the cold.

I'd be very surprised if apples maps are as accurate as googles, with regards to rural towns and villages.

Hopefully Apple will approve them to make there own stand alone map app (Oh and Youtube while the're at it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm hoping for the same but my main gripe is that I will miss StreetView. I know there'll probably be a standalone Google maps app from now on which will have StreetView but I think flyOver is a bit of a gimmick to be honest. it's nice to see a city from the air but most of the time you need to know where you're going on the ground. I'm no fan of google but Maps and streetview do this very, very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

tomtom are providing the maps for Apple, I think this is a step forward. I'm not a huge fan of google maps anyway tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mmcn90 wrote: »
    tomtom are providing the maps for Apple, I think this is a step forward. I'm not a huge fan of google maps anyway tbh.
    Tom Tom maps are a step back from Googles when it comes to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

mmcn90 wrote: »

What is it about Google Maps you don't like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

symbolic wrote: »
    What is it about Google Maps you don't like?

I use it for work, it gives me a fair amount of trouble with addresses on my iPhone, plus lack of turn by turn directions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Ah I getcha. Well at least with Apple/tomtom going head to head with google we'll be guaranteed some quality map options! Let the battle commence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The iOS6 maps of Ireland seem to be of a similar accuracy to Google, at least in Wexford and Waterford. Townland searching doesn't actually seem to be there. :( The POI database is also much smaller on first glances. It also makes Irish back roads very difficult to see due to the colouring and size.
    I've attached a sample of how Waterford looks - the M9 visible at the top left, N25 and various Regional roads as well as smaller roads. The dropped pin info is indicative of any pins dropped in rural areas - just shows the province and county - no town land.

Turn by turn also works quite nicely and takes over the lock screen if active and you lock your phone.

No Streetview is something I'll miss greatly though.

guil wrote: »

Bit of a smart comment that, whats your problem?

Someone always knows something, I never do as I leave it to those that do. Read the rest of the thread now. :D Sheeesh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not sure how valid this is but sucks if it's true.

https://twitter.com/corxo/status/212314131590692864/photo/1

Here’s new iOS6 maps and the normal Google Maps side by side for Kings X. Which would you rather use?

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I wish Google would release their Google Navigation App on iOS. I used it on my various android devices through the years and it is by far the best navigation app i have ever used.

To make it even better, when you finish your journey on Google Navigation street view will open up and point towards the address you entered. Really handy if your looking for a numbered house.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Here’s new iOS6 maps and the normal Google Maps side by side for Kings X. Which would you rather use?

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

Erm, where is kings x, all I see is st pancras, I can imagine how bad Ireland will be represented.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Looks like this will be a massive step backward, even if you dont include the removal of street view.

Presumably Google will have a well integrated app. Any chance Apple can be made offer the option of picking which app to use for maps?

Thats the thing though, Google have a ton of iOS apps ready to go but apple never approve them.

Do you really think there going to approve a map app that is much better than their own, has street view and oh ye work in Ireland

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Thats the thing though, Google have a ton of iOS apps ready to go but apple never approve them.

Do you really think there going to approve a map app that is much better than their own, has street view and oh ye work in Ireland

They may hold it up but are skating very close to a big anti trust investigation imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Nibs05 wrote: »

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

Erm, where is kings x, all I see is st pancras, I can imagine how bad Ireland will be represented.

Kings Cross and St Pancras are the same place. The station is Kings Cross/St Pancras

Advertisement