Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple to drop Google Maps from next iPhone, to reveal new ‘3D mode’

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Adding more fuel to the fire.

brophs wrote: »
    That has something to do with licences, apparently. I don't think it's a shortcoming in the app, as such.

It's to do with the format of the videos - whether they are flash (not ios friendly) or html5 variant or similar (ios friendly)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It will probably take a while for them to catch up with Google Maps, who have been at this a lot longer, but it's still a bit unfair to be judging Apple's new maps based on beta software that's under NDA and won't be released for another 4 months.

And apart from Google Voice, what Google iOS apps has Apple rejected from the App Store? According to this, it was Google who was holding features back from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Apple Maps coverage is in Ireland?

For example - could it find the townland of Rathdoony More in Co Sligo or Loreto Row in Dublin as easily as Google maps on the iPhone? Or is it just for the yanks, brits and Japanese?

If its rubbish, then its off to the dark side I go! No I dont want Tomtom!

Many thanks.

I have ios 6 on my phone and it can indeed find Loreto Row. Rathdooney does not show up but Sligo does. I think when it's officially launched you will be able to find Rathdooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Well Beta2 is now out so I thought I'd check out the maps again. I have the feeling that the clarity is slightly more improved than before but while looking around I was astonished to see something unusual in Waterford city.

Look at the bottom of the attached screenshot and you see 'Waterford Manor Station'. This railway line was closed over 50 years ago and in my lifetime had never even heard of this station. Apple should spend more time trying to come remotely close to matching Googles POI database instead of digging into the past. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just had a look at IOS6 there this morning as I'm a developer. It seems only popular landmarks are 3D atm. I tried different towns and they rander flat 3Dish, however the maps themselves are pretty accurate.

Still going to miss street view though :( They really need to improve on flyover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I don't get the moaning. It is beta software. It is not released to consumers, only devs.

It may well be as bad in the actual release...but there's no point speculating.

If we go by Apples past history of doing things that people thought the competition done well (Google in this case), then odds are that Apple's map application will be great and better than the current app.

I will be the first to say it sucks if it sucks, but let's judge the finished product eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I think there is a realisation out there that Google are market leaders in pretty much most things they touch, software wise. Apple are brilliant on the hardware side, but to ask Apple to come up a product to rival Google maps, I think most people will be sceptical.

thats why people are probably moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think there is a realisation out there that Google are market leaders in pretty much most things they touch, software wise. Apple are brilliant on the hardware side, but to ask Apple to come up a product to rival Google maps, I think most people will be sceptical.

thats why people are probably moaning.

you mean like Google Wave etc?

Apple's maps are dynamic, this was in the WWDC session.. they are not tiles but vectors and text built on the app, or view, in real time from a data feed. This allows them to update all the time, without an update to the core images, or tiles, on the server. If the roads need a different colour its a client side fix.

In the long term this is more efficient and can be updated day by day if needs be.

Thats for 2D, for 3D I don't know if they really have all that information, as they do need the images. Of course they need the pre-rendered tiles for satellite too, but we know there is comprehensive coverage there.

With regards 3D: If someone with the beta wants to try it out, try Chicago. That looks awesome.

Also two circular fingers to "turn" the map, one up or down to move, and two up or down to zoom in.
    I hope they actually release with some instructions on that.

Advertisement