Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing SSDs

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

My PC started freezing randomly for no apparent reason; I've tried reinstalling the OS on another HD and all seems fine; I did a 3 hour stress test with no problem. I suspect the problem was the SSD on which the OS was installed; can anyone recommend an SSD drive diagnosis/testing program? (OCZ, the manufacturer, has no such program on their site).

If it is the second SSD that's failed on me in 3 months, I won't be too impressed...

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Which SSD is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Which SSD is it?

OCZ Petrol 128GB,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

OCZ have one of the highest return rates in the industry. If you want reliability at the cost of a tiny bit of performance go Intel or Samsung. Their hardware validation process are among the best, it's what differentiates them from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

oceanclub wrote: »
    OCZ Petrol 128GB,

P.

An upgrade to the firmware fixes this issue. It is a common issue with all sandforce ssd's. I've upgraded mine and it has ran perfectly since i've done so.
    Bar being returned for this issue I dont think there are any other big issues with them and when this is fixed they are just as reliable as any other ssd.

deceit wrote: »
    An upgrade to the firmware fixes this issue. It is a common issue with all sandforce ssd's. I've upgraded mine and it has ran perfectly since i've done so.

I appear to be already running the latest firmware on it, 3.12.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Petrol_/

P.

• Advertisement

OCZ have one of the highest return rates in the industry. If you want reliability at the cost of a tiny bit of performance go Intel or Samsung. Their hardware validation process are among the best, it's what differentiates them from the rest.

Unfortunately I've bought OCZ twice; have both a 120GB and 60GB drive (which I was using as a cache on a Z68 board). Ah well, learned my lesson, will stick with Samsung from now on. Have a few of their HDDs and they've always been grand (only ever RMAed one HDD drive, a Western Digital).

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My OCZ 60GB Vertex Agility 3 was being a dick and not being recognised.

Havnt got around to firmware upgrade, but bought a Crucial SSD to have two SSD drives , seem to be highly rated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

deceit wrote: »
    Bar being returned for this issue I dont think there are any other big issues with them and when this is fixed they are just as reliable as any other ssd.

Petrol isn't a sandforce drive.

Check that you have all the chipset drivers. SSDs seem to be a bit fussier than other drives about having the correct drivers.

If it comes to RMA and you get a refund, I recommend the Crucial M4 which is a bit cheaper than the Intel and Samsung drives but still very reliable.

Advertisement