Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phones in pubs

• 14-05-2012 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Does anybody else here agree that people are on their phones texting, on facebook, ringing people far too much in pubs these days? It's ruining half the fun of being in a pub :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Does anybody else here agree that people are on their phones texting, on facebook, ringing people far too much in pubs these days? It's ruining half the fun of being in a pub :mad:

i think people who complain about such frivalous things ruin the fun in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

but they have to check in so they can prove that they have a better social life than their other facebook friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

to be honest none of my mates are like that. the only reason one of us would have our phone out for an extended period of time is to show a funny video or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Or people that ignore the company they're drinking with to watch strangers using their phones all night.

So rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

A television is almost worse in my opinion particularily when there isnt even a match on. It's just on and people just star at it for no reason, turn it off!

Went on holidays with a group of lads a while back and we found a pub doing grub that had free wifi and I sat in silence and they all got out their smart phones and went tweeting etc... i thought it was disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I hate when someone you're with at the pub asks if there's free WiFi. Seriously, why didn't you just stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

its great when a table of 4 all use the mobile, great conversation between all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Extreme aggression is the only answer here OP.

Went on holidays with a group of lads a while back and we found a pub doing grub that had free wifi and I sat in silence and they all got out their smart phones and went tweeting etc... i thought it was disgraceful.

It's kinda ironic that you presumably chose to criticize their behavior on an internet forum rather than to them personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe some ones trying to tell you something...that the phone is more interesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭ronjo

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I hate when someone you're with at the pub asks if there's free WiFi. Seriously, why didn't you just stay at home?

Does that honestly happen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

#firstworldproblems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Who the hell goes on Facebook when they're in the pub?

I'll only ever text/call someone to get them to come out if I'm in a pub, but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Its all part of the atmosphere.

Bring back the ciggarettes! All i can smell now is BO, bad perfume, and farts.

smash wrote: »
    but they have to check in so they can prove that they have a better social life than their other facebook friends...

quite often they are bored waiting for friends to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

i think people who complain about such frivalous things ruin the fun in this country

Well when you and a group of friends go to the pub to socialize and have a laugh is ruined by people being silent on the phone when they would be better off being at home, and the fact that going to the pub is a major part of socializing in Ireland, I don't think that it's trivial.

Don't get me wrong, I am on the internet a lot, but not when I am with friends or anything. It's so anti-social!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

stovelid wrote: »
    It's kinda ironic that you presumably chose to criticize their behavior on an internet forum rather than to them personally.

You presumed incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Agreed it is antisocial. These are the twats that have their smartphone next to their drink. The one that gets me even more is people who have their smartphones on the table when they're at a restaurant. It just looks like I'm going to sort of talk to you but if I think somebody has something more interesting to say I'm just going to ignore you and read what they're saying instead.

Foursquare, checking in on facebook - that can all get tae fuck.

I never get people who call people or text constantly on nights out either. You're with company, why do you want to talk to other people? I forget I have my phone on me when I'm out drinking. I just don't think to check it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Is it definitely half? Completely 50/50? Not 60/40? Or 32/68?

What instrument did you use to measure this? Have you compiled any studies or written any reports to back these spurious claims?

I never get people who call people or text constantly on nights out either. You're with company, why do you want to talk to other people? I forget I have my phone on me when I'm out drinking. I just don't think to check it.

maybe they are drug dealing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY AND LISTEN TO MY DISSERTATION ON MY JOB AND LOVE LIFE WAAAAAH

Well when you and a group of friends go to the pub to socialize and have a laugh is ruined by people being silent on the phone when they would be better off being at home, and the fact that going to the pub is a major part of socializing in Ireland, I don't think that it's trivial.

Don't get me wrong, I am on the internet a lot, but not when I am with friends or anything. It's so anti-social!

they obviously are bored of you if they decide to go on their phones when ye are out... have you ever asked them directly why they are on the phone rather than listening to your tripe?

just saying there is always 2 sides to a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Sykk wrote: »
    #firstworldproblems

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77455346

And you don't need a hashtag on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I wish I was in the pub right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

My local has free wifi, and I'd often go in and have a few cups of coffee and go on my laptop/phone, and do some work. But if I'm with company, the phone stays in the pocket. Now if only herself would realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I love sitting in silence in a pub racking my brains thinking of something interesting to say that doesnt involve work or mindless gossip. I'd much rather be engaged watching a movie, playing a game of poker or enjoying a meal where conversation and drinking aren't the only things the group are confined to.
    If the group was lively and engaging you wouldnt have people pulling out their phones to update their facebook with an irrelevant and self-absorbed message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I love sitting in silence in a pub racking my brains thinking of something interesting to say that doesnt involve work or mindless gossip. I'd much rather be engaged watching a movie, playing a game of poker or enjoying a meal where conversation and drinking aren't the only things the group are confined to.
    If the group was lively and engaging you wouldnt have people pulling out their phones to update their facebook with an irrelevant and self-absorbed message

The problem is, some people take their phones out the second they sit down in the pub! You actually can't start a conversation with them because of it! I wanna open my own pub, that bans phones, with blackjack and hookers.

The problem is, some people take their phones out the second they sit down in the pub! You actually can't start a conversation with them because of it! I wanna open my own pub, that bans phones, with blackjack and hookers.

you'd have one very empty pub if you banned blackjack and hookers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If they ban phones in pubs, how would I be able to show off my brand new Nokia 3310?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

The last night I was out, I had no reception in either pub that I was in - usually check my phone when I go to the bathroom, or some of the group has gone to the bar, but looked at it once in each place and then didn't take it out the rest of the night. At least I couldn't send drunk messages at the end of the night and wake people up :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A guy from work is constantly on his phone on nights out. It annoys the **** out of me because anything anyone says or does is instantly on facebook. These people are more concerned with looking like they're having a good time(to thier facebook friends anyway) than actually having a good time

Felexicon wrote: »
    A guy from work is constantly on his phone on nights out. It annoys the **** out of me because anything anyone says or does is instantly on facebook. These people are more concerned with looking like they're having a good time(to thier facebook friends anyway) than actually having a good time

The best is when people do the 12 pubs of Christmas, and tag themselves at every one :eek:

connundrum wrote: »
    If they ban phones in pubs, how would I be able to show off my brand new Nokia 3310?

hold onto that for a few more years and you might get big money for it at sotherbys

missbelle wrote: »
    The best is when people do the 12 pubs of Christmas, and tag themselves at every one :eek:
    Jesus wept!!!!!!!!!! In order to maintain any hope for humanity I have to believe this has never happened

People have little for complaining about when they are complaining about phones in pubs. Of course people are going to use their phones, its part of life. I'm always following the US golf which takes place at night here so of course I will have the phone out in the pub if its not on the tv, also tweeting etc on nights out is a bit of fun, a lot of us do it and its a good laugh.

Also people complaining about having the phone left on the table, talk about nonsense. There is usually a table full of phones when a crowd of us are out, its a pretty normal thing to do, much easier for keeping an eye on and reception is often bad on pubs so it often wont work in your pocket.

• Advertisement

People have little for complaining about when they are complaining about phones in pubs. Of course people are going to use their phones, its part of life. I'm always following the US golf which takes place at night here so of course I will have the phone out in the pub if its not on the tv, also tweeting etc on nights out is a bit of fun, a lot of us do it and its a good laugh.

Also people complaining about having the phone left on the table, talk about nonsense. There is usually a table full of phones when a crowd of us are out, its a pretty normal thing to do, much easier for keeping an eye on and reception is often bad on pubs so it often wont work in your pocket.
    Really????? You're messing right. We are losing the ability to have conversations if they're not through anti-social networking. What could tweeting possibly add to a night out only alot of silence at your table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I don't mind normal use of phone in a pub - if someone texts me I will answer if I need to. But one friend really annoys me because she is just rude with it - no conversation and she just laughs then every now and then. In a group she just sits in the corner. I've pulled her up on it before but she then just posts that I'm giving out on Facebook! AARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Jogathon wrote: »
    I don't mind normal use of phone in a pub - if someone texts me I will answer if I need to. But one friend really annoys me because she is just rude with it - no conversation and she just laughs then every now and then. In a group she just sits in the corner. I've pulled her up on it before but she then just posts that I'm giving out on Facebook! AARRRGGGHHHH!!!
    Just to clarify, normal use of a mobile phone is perfectly acceptable in a pub.

Really????? You're messing right. We are losing the ability to have conversations if they're not through anti-social networking. What could tweeting possibly add to a night out only alot of silence at your table

There is never silence at our table on nights out, sending an odd tweet takes a few seconds now and again no different to a text, its not like everyone would be doing it at the same time, there also might be a few in on it so it may be a topic of conversation in itself.

Also Tweeting has almost completely replaced texting among my friends who use twitter.

There is never silence at our table on nights out, sending an odd tweet takes a few seconds now and again no different to a text, its not like everyone would be doing it at the same time, there also might be a few in on it so it may be a topic of conversation in itself.

Also Tweeting has almost completely replaced texting among my friends who use twitter.
    Your friends sound so cool :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I hate me. Seriously, I'm one of these people who always has their phone out. I blame apple. But I do feel bad about it. I'm either texting a girl, checking scores...it's usually when the smokers are out doing their thing but I hate it. And I'm sorry to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I hate me. Seriously, I'm one of these people who always has their phone out. I blame apple. But I do feel bad about it. I'm either texting a girl, checking scores...it's usually when the smokers are out doing their thing but I hate it. And I'm sorry to all.

F*ck it. It's part of everyday life now. If I want to know a score I'll check it. It takes a second. No big deal.

People who check in everywhere (and it's never anywhere interesting) need to f*ck off and die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

they have gotten rid of the reason for guinness world record book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The phone is very handy for when its only two people and one goes to the bathroom and you pretend to be checking things so as not to feel awkward. But that is all really.

I laugh at the people who are on Facebook from the pub telling everyone. Clearly having a great time so if you're writing to everyone you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The problem is the phones with easy internet access. I know two people that have bought them and they are constantly being anti social so they can look up lols (I hate that term) online.

Yet I get given out to if I spend more than an hour playing videogames.

If I'm on my phone in a pub it's usually trying to find out where the stragglers are or convince a drinking buddy to "come out for one sure!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

God your needy, can I not just check my emails? I have work and personal emails to look at, I'm a busy man and your terribly boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think its worse when there are no name bands blaring away in a pub and no one can hear or talk to anyone as the band is so loud so resort to messing on their phones as a way of passing the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

CJC999 wrote: »
    I think its worse when there are no name bands blaring away in a pub and no one can hear or talk to anyone as the band is so loud so resort to messing on their phones as a way of passing the time.

Go somewhere else then :confused:

Your friends sound so cool :pac:

Twitter is much handier than texting when your having a group conversation among friends and when you get into it it sort of replaces texts even for contacting one person. It also uses up data which people tend to have loads off rather than texts which are often more limited.

I dont mean in the pub with the above btw, just in general. Its nothing at all to do with being "cool".

Jesus wept!!!!!!!!!! In order to maintain any hope for humanity I have to believe this has never happened
    I wish!! my newsfeed was full of checkins on the Fri before christmas :eek:
    and by the 12th one it's like X has checked in at _____ wohoo we made it! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement