Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stone Roses, 23 years on....

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

So its less than a month before history is made and the Stone Roses are back on the touring scene to play all those great tunes, mainly from their first album.

Some of us are excited and getting ready to finally have a chance to see the four-piece (including myself:D) so I just thought I would start discussion.

What is everyone's thoughts on how that first album was such an influential record? I would argue without it there would have been no britpop movement and British guitar music would have been drastically different without that album being such a landmark record.

Blur and Suede released their debut albums in 1991 and 1993 respectively, and as good as they were, both bands carried on from what the Stone Roses brought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

They're my favourite band and I never ever thought that I would ever get a chance to see them play live so I'm obviously very excited about this.

Anyway, I think they're debut album (along with The La's only album) were hugely influential on the britpop music of the 90's. I think Noel Gallagher even said that when he heard the Stone Roses he knew that he had to have a career in music. Also, Liam decided he wanted to be a frontman after going to a Roses' gig. So, you could kinda say that there might never have been an Oasis if it wasn't for the Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭mosstin

karaokeman wrote: »
    So its less than a month before history is made and the Stone Roses are back on the touring scene to play all those great tunes, mainly from their first album.

Some of us are excited and getting ready to finally have a chance to see the four-piece (including myself:D) so I just thought I would start discussion.

What is everyone's thoughts on how that first album was such an influential record? I would argue without it there would have been no britpop movement and British guitar music would have been drastically different without that album being such a landmark record.

Blur and Suede released their debut albums in 1991 and 1993 respectively, and as good as they were, both bands carried on from what the Stone Roses brought.

I think the reason that it's made such an impact was because it pretty much launced a thousand bands in its wake. Given that the British music scene was relatively uninspiring at the time - a nascent MBV, underwhelming C86 scene to name but two - TSR was a breath of fresh air in terms of both ambition and being a bona fide pop gem.
    That said the reunion is sad, given the vitality of the original line-up ("The past was yours but the future's mine") - the four of them down on their luck, looking for one more big payout before going their separate ways quietly in a year's time. Wonderful record, a once great band, should have left the legacy intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

mosstin wrote: »
    I think the reason that it's made such an impact was because it pretty much launced a thousand bands in its wake. Given that the British music scene was relatively uninspiring at the time - a nascent MBV, underwhelming C86 scene to name but two - TSR was a breath of fresh air in terms of both ambition and being a bona fide pop gem.

Pretty much agree with most of this, I assume by MBV you mean My Bloody Valentine, yeah?
    That said the reunion is sad, given the vitality of the original line-up ("The past was yours but the future's mine") - the four of them down on their luck, looking for one more big payout before going their separate ways quietly in a year's time. Wonderful record, a once great band, should have left the legacy intact.

I'm not sure, they will be so quick to split again, there's a third album in the works so they will at least get that out after the tour and possibly do another world tour after to promote the album. Who knows, the new album could be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I'm more interested in the album than the tour. They only had one good album imo so it will be interesting to see if they can gel again after such a long period away.

I don't think there's many bands that have done it in the studio after such a long period away although I did like the The Verve's last album in 2008 but they were only away for 10 years not over 20

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Making history is a tad strong, digging up the past would be more accurate. They are irrelevant now. No band can break up for that length of time and be anything other than a nostalgia act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ainm usaideoir

I think its wrong to say the stone roses are irrelevant , the hype created by the bands re-forming only cemented the fact that their music never really went away , I am very much looking forward to the gig I only hope John Squire is on form ! Ian Browne is a front man with attitude but singing live isn't his strong point and Squire's guitar playing can make up for that . I actually think the second album was a good one , its very rare for any band to have a better second album and its also fair to mention the single releases either side of the debut album were classics in their own right ! . can't wait for the phoenix park gig , only downside is it's on a Thursday .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yeah, I don't get all the hate for the second album either, it's pretty good, I hope they play some material off it at the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The Second Coming is pretty much the most mis-understood album of all time I reckon.

It's absolute quality and it's only downfall was that back in 94 people werent ready for it. It was definetly ahead of it's time.

The fact that Ian Brown was a bit miffed with the mixing of the record probably gave a lot of people a reason to hate it. A bit like, "if HE isn't really happy with it , it must be ****'

I've listened to it again recently from start to finish and it's a gem.

Starts off setting the mood, makes you think and then when you're just about ready the tunes kick in.

Any album with, Love Spreads, Tightrope, Good times, Ten Story Love Song, Tears, How Do You Sleep, Your Star Will Shine is alright in my book.

And thats 7 out of 12 tracks. The rest are still decent but fillers none the less.

Can't wait for the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Agreed. The Second Coming is quality, never understood the negative press it got at the time. I'm hoping we hear several songs from the album at Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think so young was their best song and they try distance themselves from it now . It makes me feel :( they dont play it anymore.

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    I think so young was their best song and they try distance themselves from it now . It makes me feel :( they dont play it anymore.

You think So Young is better than I Am The Resurrection? To each their own, I guess.

Suas11 wrote: »
    You think So Young is better than I Am The Resurrection? To each their own, I guess.

Yeah Id think I wanna be adored , and fools gold are better than I am the ressurection too .
    She bangs the drums , Sally Cinnamon .
    Try not to take offence when your favourite song is not my favourite song , I think the happy mondays were alot better too , but lets not offend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I got introduced to this band in 98, first year in college.
    Took me a while to get into some of the tunes but both albums, in my opinion, are up there with the best. Strangely enough I prefer The Second Coming and to this day it is still the only album I continue to listen to every now and again from start to finish.
    I suppose the tunes remind me of those heady college days and indeed the experience of listening to a "new" (to me) band that I was blown away with. Indeed I remember some of the lads in the house were able to do some great renditions of the tunes on those albums.
    Then I heard a recording of them live - boy, that was disappointing, mainly because Ian Brown didn't sound at all like he could sing (I doubt much has changed)
    All that aside, they were the start of a major era in music and numerous bands have been inspired by them.

That being said, I always wanted to go to a gig but thought I would never have the chance, so getting that chance is great. Whatever happens in July, it will be memorable.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Yeah Id think I wanna be adored , and fools gold are better than I am the ressurection too .
    She bangs the drums , Sally Cinnamon .
    Try not to take offence when your favourite song is not my favourite song , I think the happy mondays were alot better too , but lets not offend anyone.

Ah, I wasn't offended lol. I was just surprised, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Agree with most of your post.. but I've never felt that TSR really created that "Mad"chester or Liverpool (which was just as vibrant) scene (not that you were actually claiming that! :)).
    All of the main bands (Happy Mondays, 808 State, The Farm, TSR, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, James, The LA's etc.) were all slightly different and all occuring around the same time. Some supporting each other.. I saw The LA's support TSR, Happy Mondays support The (original before Mr. C) Shaman, The Farm support Happy Mondays etc.
    Some became huge quicker than the others, but they all helped deliver an pretty amazing experience at the time.

I also agree.. I still have my original tickets and flyers from '88 Liverpool, Wigan, Manchester etc. (£2.50 in :)) and they were amazing.. Alexander Palace was ok.. Spike Island was shocking.. TSR provided the best gigs and worst gigs I have ever been to..
    I hope they put on a decent show in Phoenix Park for folks who havent seen them, but I decided to stay away.. and stick with amazing memories instead.. I doubt they can come anywhere near what they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

stone roses are playing a free gig tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Making history is a tad strong, digging up the past would be more accurate. They are irrelevant now. No band can break up for that length of time and be anything other than a nostalgia act.

Time will tell, it can go either way, if they become another reformed band cashing in on festivals (see: Pixies) then yeah, it's nostalgic cr@p.

If they write new music with merit (see: Mission of Burma) then it's another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

5 star review from the Guardian, here's the setlist

I Wanna Be AdoredMersey Paradise
    Sally Cinnamon
    Made of Stone
    (Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister
    Where Angels Play
    Shoot You Down
    Tightrope
    Waterfall
    She Bangs the Drums
    Love Spreads

The band, who at one time could have had everything but seemed to throw it all away, have returned bigger than before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/24/stone-roses-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Guardian journo is a mate of the band! Surprise surprise! COuld have still been a great gig though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I saw them on the back of the 2nd album. Believe it was their first gig to promote it or near enough. Think it was the trip to Tip or some shítfest? They put on a great performance from what I remember.

Loads of English over for it. Went down on my own with a case of Bavaria 8.6. Not the nicest tasting beverage when warm.

I like the 2nd album, don’t know what all the negative fuss was about it. 1st album is good, nothing more. Couldn’t be arsed in seeing them again, they’ve had their day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I can't wait to see em July 5th.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I saw them on the back of the 2nd album. Believe it was their first gig to promote it or near enough. Think it was the trip to Tip or some shítfest? They put on a great performance from what I remember.

Loads of English over for it. Went down on my own with a case of Bavaria 8.6. Not the nicest tasting beverage when warm.

I like the 2nd album, don’t know what all the negative fuss was about it. 1st album is good, nothing more. Couldn’t be arsed in seeing them again, they’ve had their day.

Some of us haven't been so lucky as to see them live first time round - so for us, they haven't yet had their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

kippy wrote: »
    Some of us haven't been so lucky as to see them live first time round - so for us, they haven't yet had their day.

Ah, I wasn't trying to have a pop. Sure it'll be a great day out...enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Early Oasis demos also contain a heavy Stone Roses influence.

As far as the Roses reforming 23 years on I'm kind of worried of the prospect, a part of me wished that had stayed inactive. Browns voice is obviously shot at this stage and I don't think he can do justice to the epics of the first album and Second Coming. Squire hasn't done much since the Sea Horses nor has Reni although I suspect both will still be up to par. Its just Brown that worries we really.

Early Oasis demos also contain a heavy Stone Roses influence.

As far as the Roses reforming 23 years on I'm kind of worried of the prospect, a part of me wished that had stayed inactive. Browns voice is obviously shot at this stage and I don't think he can do justice to the epics of the first album and Second Coming. Squire hasn't done much since the Sea Horses nor has Reni although I suspect both will still be up to par. Its just Brown that worries we really.
    I dont think Browns "live" voice was ever that good anyway - it defo wasnt on the "live" recordings I have seen of them.

To be honest I think the weakness of his voice made them alot better for some strange reason , take so young for example , the struggling voice suits the song better than say if they had of had say neall diamond singing it. Neall Diamond may have nailed the lyrics but the song wouldnt have stirred me as much emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭branners69

A large reason why the Second Coming was slated was the Roses wouldnt give many interviews to the music mags. The official interview was with the Big Issue homeless mag. I have a copy of the issue somewhere I must dig it out, might be worth something now!

Anyone else remember buying all the 7" and 12" singles? My treasured buy was the 12" Fools Gold on gold vinyl!

Saw the Roses twice, Ian Brown four or five times. Would have concerns about his voice but squire on guitar and reni on drums is pure magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

branners69 wrote: »
    A large reason why the Second Coming was slated was the Roses wouldnt give many interviews to the music mags. The official interview was with the Big Issue homeless mag. I have a copy of the issue somewhere I must dig it out, might be worth something now!

Anyone else remember buying all the 7" and 12" singles? My treasured buy was the 12" Fools Gold on gold vinyl!

Most of the Roses stuff is worth very little.. The rarer 7" (with postcards) and 12" (with prints) are only worth slighty more than the normal versions.
    The gold vinyl version of Fools Gold is worth about 7-8 quid.. Even the rarer flip version (A side is What The World is Waiting For with print) is only worth about a tenner :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭branners69

Welease wrote: »
    Most of the Roses stuff is worth very little.. The rarer 7" (with postcards) and 12" (with prints) are only worth slighty more than the normal versions.
    The gold vinyl version of Fools Gold is worth about 7-8 quid.. Even the rarer flip version (A side is What The World is Waiting For with print) is only worth about a tenner :(

The last time I had my collection valued it was over €400. Have a few promos and the US import of the gold vinyl. I have all the inserts for all 7" and 12" and the tapes and t-shirts, some still wrapped after 17 years!! I had a signed Ian Brown guitar but sold that years back.

Would have no interest in selling any of it, will hand it down to my kids eventually, if they have any interest at the time!! :D

Advertisement