Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked carbon rim-can it be fixed?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Is there anyone in Ireland who can fix a cracked carbon rim? A Zipp 404 has a crack on it and needed for the Ras so if there is anyone who could have a look at it this week? If it can’t be repaired this week, is there anyone aboard who would fix?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Ring Mark in Rough Stuff paddles in Palmerstown, he has fixed plenty of carbon wheels and frames.

http://www.roughstuff.ie/portal/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Thanks for that. Rang and Mark thinks he can repair it. Seems a great service as it can turn it have it repaired in one day. I'll post to say how the repair goes

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

I used Mark for a repair on a carbon frame recently - I imagine that had he tried he could not have made a worse job of the repair than he did. The frame was given back in shocking condition & I would say to avoid him at all costs.

Give it to one of the UK repairers that can do the job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

There is a guy on Farranfore in Kerry who makes (shapes) surf boards and uses carbon fibre to control surfboard flexing.

He repaired a carbon frame for me and recently did a frame repair for a friend (A2 racer) - both repairs left owners very happy.

I would be slow to let a bike shop near a carbon repair unless they could show me a training cert in carbon repairs or a few solid recommendations.

Know of the Kerry surfer guy and he was contacted but he won't touch carbon wheels. Said he doesn't know enough about them. Guy I know cracked his top tube in crash and he fixed it perfectly. Resprayed in car repair place and it looks good as new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I dont think anyone fixes carbon rims, frames are fixable but rims deal with different stresses, even if someone said they could try fix it I wouldnt use it if it was free!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I think Mark is well able to fix carbon rims, I have had a few fixed by him and they are all good. As Rochefan needs this fixed quickly he doesn't have much choice. At the same time he's not a spray painter so I wouldn't be expecting a frame to look perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I think Mark is well able to fix carbon rims

Curious. I wouldn't chance it. In fact manufacturers don't bother repairing either. Damage warranties from Zipp, for example offer very affordable crash replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Contact Stephen @ http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/ . The guys there know their stuff about carbon and they ll be trustworthy enough to tell you if they can repair it to a road worthy state.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Contact Stephen @ http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/ . The guys there know their stuff about carbon and they ll be trustworthy enough to tell you if they can repair it to a road worthy state.

I second this i just had my Argon 18 repaired sweet job.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies, a replacement zipp has being got for the Ras so that means the problem does not have to be rushed now. I know people have being saying that carbon rims are difficult to fix but in this case the damage is not from hitting a pothole and cracking the rim. It is like a stone damaged it half an inch below the braking surface so I think Mark probably could give it a good go. I would suspect that there could be issues with wheel balance if a carbon patch is added. As time is not longer an issue the wheel will probably be sent to Zipp for their crash replacement policy as someone suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rochefan wrote: »
    I would suspect that there could be issues with wheel balance if a carbon patch is added

Stick a screwdriver through the opposite side. Get that repaired too. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr R Stuff

Gents,

Firstly, apologies to D20903. you obviously were not happy, yet you said nothing? I'm not sure who you are but i would never leave anybody unhappy with their repair. Please bring it back and I will sort out what ever is the matter.

Cosmetics have two difficulties. the first is that if you try to hide the repair it leaves you open to trying to sell a "pig in a poke"
    Bit like the "buying a crashed car" thing. If you were not told it was crashed then you would be upset at having bought it as undamaged.

The next problem is that cosmetics are as expensive as the repair itself. if you would like a quote to colour match the frame again, please ask.

Lastly, a carbon repair on a frame needs to be at least as thick if not thicker than the original frame. This is basic mechanics. The frame needs to be as strong at the breakage as it was originally, or else it will just fail at that spot again.

Pretending that you can put a completely invisible repair on a carbon frame or wheel is disingenuous, as unless you can work from the inside, its just plain impossible!

I can certainly disguise most repairs and do a lot to blend them in to the original paint work but please ask when dropping in for a quote what level of painting can be done and how much extra that will cost.

best regards

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭mightyabhabelle

hi RocheFan,

did you ever get that zipp 404 rim fixed. I have one too, very little miles and a crack where the spoke enters the carbon on the rim. I believe this was an issue on a few of them. Lads have told me to put the Gap Sealant stuff into the wheel as thats what in the Mavics and other wheels.

However I would rather get another rim. Anyone know where I can get one... any wheel builders bringing in Rims from aboard etc.

Thanks M

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Happy Zapper

Carbon wheel - Its a crack around the nozzle area.

Do I throw it out or is it repairable, what do you guys think?

Many Thanks,

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Don't throw it out.

Might make a nice clock or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

These guys might be able to help you out.

https://www.facebook.com/carbontecire/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Happy Zapper

Thanks for the info :)

If it cannot be fixed a wall clock is not a bad idea :eek:

Cheers,

Rob

Advertisement