Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structure of Hamlet Essays

• 14-05-2012 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! I decided today to start writing out Hamlet essays to study for the exam, but I have no idea how to structure them or even what a Hamlet essay should read like. :( Could yous share how you like to lay out your essays? :) Sample answers are appreciated too :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

I like to plan the essay by dividing it into 7 or 8 paragraphs, for each paragraph I learn off 2-3 relevant quotes. On the day it saves time since I have a clear picture of what I need to write. There's no point in learning off big 10 page sample answers, unless your very good a leaning off it just wastes time

For example, in the mocks I did an essay on women. The paragraphs were..

1. 1)Gertrude's crimes. Quotes 'as kill a king','most seeming virtuous queen' 'little month'

2. 2)Treatment of Hamlet. 'Unmanly grief' 'the funeral bak'd-meats. Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables' 'cast thy nighted colour off'

3. 3)Gertrude's redeeming qualities 'hamlet in madness hath Polonius slain' 'Thou turn'st mine eyes into my very soul...'

4. 4)Is Ophelia loved by hamlet? 'I love thee not' vs 'Forty thousand brothers Could not, with all their quantity of love, Make up my sum'

5. 5) Ophelia is used and abused. 'green girl' 'get thee to a nunnery'

6. 6)Hate for women in general. 'incestuous sheets' 'frailty thy name is woman'

7. 7)Impact of women on the plot. Ophelia's obedience 'i shall the effect of this good lesson keep' leads to her death which leads to Laertes' revenge 'to cut his throat i' the church'
      'God
      has given you one face, and you make yourselves
      another
      ' and 'carnal bloody and unnatural acts' Hamlet's mother has tainted womanhood for Hamlet and this drives him to act.

Using this template I got close to full marks in the mocks, that being said i hope someone can point to where improvements can be made.

I wrote the quotes from memory so check before you use them, and I'm using a new keyboard which is stupidly small so I fully expect there's a few typos in what i wrote.

Advertisement