Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed, weed and moss killer not effective

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Recently changed address and keen to improve lawn in new place. Spread B&Q feed, weed and moss killer evenly on lawns and I am now raking moss up and lightly scarifying.
    Problem is I can see loads of moss that hasn't turned black. Very dissapointed as scarifying with a rake is exhausting and I'd prefer to get all moss out.
    Thinking of continuing with raking until all lawns done (about 1/4 an acre) and then aerating and keep cutting grass very short. Maybe feed again in a few weeks.

What i am wondering now is, would it be wise to spread some sulphate of iron over the lawn now to kill off remaining moss. I could then rake it out later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Best to do that in Autumn or early spring. Then grass should hide the moss once it really gets going. Plus the punishing heat we get in this country in summer will not favour the moss. I'd leave it as is for the moment and then do a good renovation in September/October. Don't cut the grass too low, stick with a medium height and do it once a week. It will thicken up nicely and that will help with the moss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for that.
    I do own an aerator so would be tempted to roll it over the garden especially where moss thrives. Can't do any harm.

Will take your advice and likely hire a scarifier in Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Hi ,

Surprised you got a chance to put down weed & Feed, i am waiting for a 3 day dry period to put mine down and am still waiting . You need 3 totally dry days for it to work properly, otherwise you are merely feeding grass and weeds ! If you put it down and it rains the weed killer element is washed away before it can be absorbed into the moss and weeds.

By the way cutting grass too short is bad for it too !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

In fact I put down 18-6-12 two weeks ago. Im guessing with the rain and cold weather it'll be washed away completely and rendered useless also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In fact I put down 18-6-12 two weeks ago. Im guessing with the rain and cold weather it'll be washed away completely and rendered useless also!

It should be ok, once night time temps raise you will see it working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I hope not, but the same happened last year in late May, you'd swear I didnt put it down at all... I thought this year I learned from my mistakes. Waited for rain in the near forecast and then lashed it down, problem is it has rained since and we have barely seen 14 degrees..

Advertisement