Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline first time connection no tone

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a landlord and my tenant has entered into a broadband contact with a company which will provide broadband through the landline. To my knowledge there are 3 landline connections from eircom but there has never been an active landline in the apartment. My tenant is saying the broadband company have said there is a problem with the landline and that it is broken internally. The tenant has said the broadband company have runs tests on the external part of the line. The tenant has plugged a phone into the points and said there is no tone.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea how these things work at all.
    Does the line need to be activated first?
    Can the broadband company do this from their end or does it have to be done through eircom?
    If there is a problem with the line, how can I diagnose it and eventually look to getting it fixed?

Many thanks

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

bovril wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a landlord and my tenant has entered into a broadband contact with a company which will provide broadband through the landline. To my knowledge there are 3 landline connections from eircom but there has never been an active landline in the apartment. My tenant is saying the broadband company have said there is a problem with the landline and that it is broken internally. The tenant has said the broadband company have runs tests on the external part of the line. The tenant has plugged a phone into the points and said there is no tone.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea how these things work at all.
    Does the line need to be activated first?
    Can the broadband company do this from their end or does it have to be done through eircom?
    If there is a problem with the line, how can I diagnose it and eventually look to getting it fixed?

Many thanks

B

Hi bovril,

When getting a DSL broadband connection through the phoneline the line must be activated from our end and have a tone on the other before a signal can get through. When signing up, the minimum service we provide is line rental and then broadband can be added to that. We have a promotion running which gives a free connection regardless of what type of connection it is.

Some companies can get the connection done themselves, some others require a landline first and they add their service to that. You would need to ask each company individually as I can obviously only speak for eircom here. There is could well be a slight issue with the line, it's not uncommon for our system to see an "in-situ" connection at your house but when we activate it there is no dial-tone. This can happen if anything has been changed since the line was last active. In that case we send an engineer to follow the order and put a connection in the property (again, free of charge)

If ordered through eircom, even for just the landline, there would be a 12 month contact attached to it so just make sure you are both happy to go ahead before placing any orders. If you like, PM me the address and I'll see if I can give you any further information.

Thanks

James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Thanks for the reply James. PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

bovril wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply James. PM sent.

Reply sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Thanks a million James, your replies have been most helpful.

Advertisement