Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion Money

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

My daughter made her communion over the weekend and made a whopping 800 euros. I was wondering what other parents made they're child do with theirs money? - credit union, let them blow it, made them buy clothes or took a portion of it to pay for the day ect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

what my mum did was put half in to the bank,

put 25% into new clothes that i wanted,

and let me spend the last 25% on toys/stuff i wanted at the time, that was 20 years ago however,

she did the same for my sister, (my brother insisted on depositing all of it into his bank account the clever cloggs! He bought his car last year from his savings! :pac: )

so its up to you i guess,

is there something she wants that you will allow her to have eg: game console, certain branded products, jewellery, clothes? etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

I am now 29 so it 20 odd years ago but my mam told my money and paid for cake and some of the party and then put the rest in the bank put she bought myself and my sister to the toy shop to get whatever we wanted one present each then a outfit each so basically she used the money i give her to trat me and sister so really it was a way of including my sister and it was the same when she made hers to this day we chat about the fun we had that day whenever we hear about the communion season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€800! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Slightly off topic op, but as the next 3 weekends will be spent at communions/confirmations, what's the going rate to put in the envelope? Friends and cousins kids in Dublin.

(Many moons ago my Communion money got me a toy, a small treat for each of my siblings and the rest started my savings off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Slightly off topic op, but as the next 3 weekends will be spent at communions/confirmations, what's the going rate to put in the envelope? Friends and cousins kids in Dublin.

(Many moons ago my Communion money got me a toy, a small treat for each of my siblings and the rest started my savings off)

depends, some family members put 50 and some put 10, it depends on their circumstances as the reccessions has hit every body, but most cards had 20 euro in them which i think is more than fair imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A fiver. What does an 8 year old need with any more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

In my family communion money went to our parents - usually to pay the mortgage as we were never well off. Conformation money went to the credit union. Now my sister gets them to put money towards the bouncy castle for the day, a toy and savings.

Ans ya, 800? Mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

seamus wrote: »
    A fiver. What does an 8 year old need with any more than that?

Nintendo DS Games of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

When my two children made their communion, have one more to go, put over half in credit union, spent some and gave some to charity so everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Yeah, I have the same issue, my Daughter made hers on Sat, 700 she has now. She doesnt have a need for anything either at the moment. Its a incredible amount of money though. I am gonna put have it in a savings account at least, and let her buy some with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

All of our children have their own savings account.
    Son made his confirmation recently and between that,communion and birthday money over the years, has almost €1500 saved.
    He's only 12, but has his heart set on a car and college down the line.

I never give money as communion or confirmation presents- I don't like this idea that children/parents have,that they will be lining their pockets because of the day.
    I usually give vouchers or prize bonds- and it's nice when the children send a "thank you " card.
    Nice, but a rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm still applying for loans from my sons communion money:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Jees its like a lotto win 800 quid! Remember folk used to say....'i bet he still has his communion money....too right if its 800 quid! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

My daugter made her communion 3 yrs ago, she received around the €800 mark too.
    She wanted roller skates, so they cost her about €25, the rest is in her bank account.
    Her confirmation was a different story, she made that recently, and recieved about €600 - she bought an ipad and literally blew the rest. I regret not taking more control over that money - but she bought some clothes and stuff in claires. I think there is €20 left and i might try and convince her to put that into the bank...but pigs might fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

My daughter made just over €800 as well last year, we let her spend €100 on toys and we were going on holiday so she paid for her own flight (€220 and she brought €80 as her spending money). We had a very expensive year last year, we got married, had a holiday and had her communion, so when her nanny suggested she paid for her flight and she was happy to go along with it we let her. She was very proud of herself!!!

She has the remainder in her credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

When I made my communion my money went into the bank.

When I made my confirmation, I bought a phone, my mother gave me half of the money towards it, I got some new clothes and the rest went into the bank.

Personally with a sum of €800, I'd allow €100 for clothes/toys/treat and the rest goes into the bank/credit union for her.

I didn't save properly when I was younger and regret it. I wish my mother was stricter with my when I got money for birthdays/Christmas etc, if she'd insisted on me saving it, I'd have decent savings now.

she has always wanted to buy a dog, so i dont mind her doing that with her money and the rest going to the credit union and a small fee for mammy and daddy to help them get through to the next pay day as day cost us a fortune!

i couldnt remember what i had done with my money when i made mine, so i asked my mother, as i could remember it was a big amount too as i come from a big family, and turns out i paid for our first trip abroad, wish i had thought of that first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

davet82 wrote: »
    i couldnt remember what i had done with my money when i made mine, so i asked my mother, as i could remember it was a big amount too as i come from a big family, and turns out i paid for our first trip abroad, wish i had thought of that first :)

thats so mean though! :eek: parents shouldnt be counting on their children to make them money,

fair enough if they bought their siblings a small gift or a cheap toy of some kind, but paying for a family holiday just seems mean and somewhat like theft to me.

it wouldn't sit right with me taking money from my daughter, i am her parent its my job to provide for her, when shes legally an adult then yes its fair game, but taking money from an 8 year old? its like taking candy from a baby :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

800 euro :eek: I got £5 and a WHsmith voucher :mad:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    thats so mean though! :eek: parents shouldnt be counting on their children to make them money,

fair enough if they bought their siblings a small gift or a cheap toy of some kind, but paying for a family holiday just seems mean and somewhat like theft to me.

it wouldn't sit right with me taking money from my daughter, i am her parent its my job to provide for her, when shes legally an adult then yes its fair game, but taking money from an 8 year old? its like taking candy from a baby :(

i was actually only jokin bout the holiday thing myself, i wouldnt sit right with me either...

as for my parents using the money for a holiday, it was different times, i was younger than kids would be now making it plus it was the best holiday ever so i wont hold it against them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my family are English - I got nothing.
    No, I went down to the local shop in my get-up and got a free bar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

For both my Communion and my Confirmation it all went into the post office. I was in there the other day and heard a boy putting money in to his account-his First Holy money. It was his first time to put money in and he was really pleased with himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was 29 before I spent my communion (all) and confirmation (vast majority) money.

While I have given my older nieces money, the 8 year old got money she couldn't spend: http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/PublishingImages/FullsizeImages/2012%20EUR20%20Gold%20Proof%20Coin.jpg

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/pages/coinsets.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My own communion money went on clothes. I got £130 and was brought on a shopping spree to Dublin. I don't think I spent the full amount so I'd say the rest was sank into the family pot.

My own daughter made her communion last year. She got about €500. All she wanted was a trampoline so she got that.
    The rest went on various things. Spending money for our holiday, summer camp, clothes etc.
    She wasn't told how much she got and I had total control over it.

hoodwinked wrote: »

I think the same.
    My daughter was buying a copy book for school the other day and she asked will she pay for it with her own money, but that didnt seem right to me. I am her mother and i felt that i should be the one buying the boring stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

silly wrote: »
    I think the same.
    My daughter was buying a copy book for school the other day and she asked will she pay for it with her own money, but that didnt seem right to me. I am her mother and i felt that i should be the one buying the boring stuff like that.

Meh, I make my daughter pay for certain things out of her birthday/communion/christmas money.

I put a roof over her head and food on the table, keep her warm and dry. I buy 95% of everything she needs. If she happens to want a specific item of clothing or a book or something and she happens to have the money to pay for it, then I don't see the harm in letting her pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

From last weeks communion, shes putting half the 700 into savings account, I have taken 50 towards her football for next year, shes bought new football gear, boots and a body warmer that she needs. I'd normally have to pay for this stuff, and she got some clothes and earphones for iTouch. So I think its worked out well for everyone. She still has around 150 left i think which we might just put in the bank as well.

ash23 wrote: »
    Meh, I make my daughter pay for certain things out of her birthday/communion/christmas money.

I put a roof over her head and food on the table, keep her warm and dry. I buy 95% of everything she needs. If she happens to want a specific item of clothing or a book or something and she happens to have the money to pay for it, then I don't see the harm in letting her pay for it.

well, yes, i'm the same, she wanted a tracksuit in penneys, and she didnt need it, so she paid for it herself. If she wanted a book or earrings from Claires accessories then she pays for them herself. She bought 2 gold fish and a gold fish bowl herself etc.
    But i just felt when it came to buying a maths copy for school, that that was my department.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got around the 6-7 hundred euro mark, I think I bought myself and my brother games for the gameboy and everything else was put in a closed account. Got a bit less money for the confirmation, I bought myself a dart bord and some new clothes and the rest was put into the account along with a portion of birthday and Christmas money over the years. I wasnt allowed touch the account until I started college and although I only dip into it in emergancy Im so glad its there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Our eldest made hers too last weekend and made over €500, she kept €75 to spend and the rest went in the post office because she said she wants to bring her iwn money on holidays this year, no argument here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement