Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion Money

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If you give a gift, then it's just that - a gift!

If they want to flush it down the toilet, it's no concern of yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

If you give a gift, then it's just that - a gift!

If they want to flush it down the toilet, it's no concern of yours!

exactly! A gift to the child - not a gift to the family.

silly wrote: »
    exactly! A gift to the child - not a gift to the family.

A child of that age should not need that sort of money for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

All I remember was getting a couple of kids' bibles, and going out to dinner. I was 5 for the communion so I wouldn't remember much of anything anyway

for the confirmation I got 100 pounds and got new rollerblades with it
    that was that

800 sounds like madness

A child of that age should not need that sort of money for anything!

but they will need it at some stage - they dont need a family holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

but they will need it at some stage - they dont need a family holiday!

They don't need an xbox or a bike either ....... but many kids spend their money on frivolous things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluecats

I got £120 back in 1991 - my mother brought me to a toy shop and i got to pick out 1 toy and she took the rest to cover the costs.

i couldn't of cared less at the time as i know my dress cost a lot, as did the hotel meal afterwards.

starting to feel a bit hard done by 20 years later!!!:P

although with 4 kids and 1 modest wage can't say i really blame her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

prizebonds!

harder to cash out and she could win a sum

she's gonna get fook all interest on 800 so might as well chance it

ash23 wrote: »
    They don't need an xbox or a bike either ....... but many kids spend their money on frivolous things.

and its up to the parents to make sure they spend it/save it wisely. not to spend it on themselves i.e a family holiday.

and its up to the parents to make sure they spend it/save it wisely. not to spend it on themselves i.e a family holiday.

No, it's up to the parents as to how it is spent. One mans wise is anothers frivolous. One families needs vary greatly from anothers.

I personally didn't even tell my daughter how much she got but that's not for me to say another parent making a different choice for their child is wrong.
    Their kids, their business.

• Advertisement

No, it's up to the parents as to how it is spent. One mans wise is anothers frivolous. One families needs vary greatly from anothers.

I personally didn't even tell my daughter how much she got but that's not for me to say another parent making a different choice for their child is wrong.
    Their kids, their business.

well, I certainly hope that any money I have given as gifts to kids hasnt gone into their parents pockets to pay for expensive parties or family holidays.(if you cant afford it...don't get it) If I wanted to give it to their parents, I would have made out the card to them, but that would be a bit ridiculus when it's the child's big day...

If you want to specify how a gift is used, you'd be better off to buy an actual item or a savings bond. When you give a gift of cash you can't attach terms and conditions to it.

Personally if I gave a gift of cash to a child I'd prefer they got to use it on something they'd love and enjoy, rather than it be put into a savings account for them to use in 10+ years.
    Different strokes.

If you want to specify how a gift is used, you'd be better off to buy an actual item or a savings bond. When you give a gift of cash you can't attach terms and conditions to it.

I think writing the child's name on the card kinda means - and i'm shocked that some people don't understand this - that whatever is inside it is for the child..

I bet you eat all your childs sweets on halloween too.

well, I certainly hope that any money I have given as gifts to kids hasnt gone into their parents pockets to pay for expensive parties or family holidays.(if you cant afford it...don't get it) If I wanted to give it to their parents, I would have made out the card to them, but that would be a bit ridiculus when it's the child's big day...

Well, I'm one of those poor unprivileged children whose Communion and Confirmation money went straight into my parents' pockets.

And I have to say, I wouldn't change a thing.

My parents had seven children, six of which were born in eight years.

We got a family holiday every single year as we were growing up - mostly within Ireland, but still family holidays.

Looking back, would I have rathered a Playstation or whatever ...? No! I love the very many memories that I have of those family holidays. :) And, looking back, with so many kids born within so many years, chances are that our Communion/Confirmation money paid for most of those holidays. And I think that's a great thing! :)

It's not the child's big day; or at least it shouldn't be. It should be the family's big day. And, if any money is made from it, it should go towards the family as a whole.

It's not the child's big day; or at least it shouldn't be. It should be the family's big day. And, if any money is made from it, it should go towards the family as a whole.

Thats a load of BULL, its the child's day!

Thats a load of BULL, its the child's day!

Which you chose for them to have

You could have not brought them up Catholic, but you chose to. So you chose that they'd have this big "day".

I think writing the child's name on the card kinda means - and i'm shocked that some people don't understand this - that whatever is inside it is for the child..

No need for that attitude at all. Everyone parents differently. I don't have the luxury of being able to afford everything my child might want and as a result, sometimes if she really wants something, she uses her money to pay for the both of us to go there because my wages are limited and used to pay for things like food, rent, heat etc.
    If I could afford to do everything then my daughter would be able to save her communion money but hey, c'est la vie.

Oh and my child shares her Halloween sweets with me. She actually appreciates the fact that I do so much for her and she doesn't have a "mine" attitude about things she gets.
    She often buys me something out of her pocket money. She is a good kid like that. She won't squirrel away her sweets and money and leave others without.
    Sharing is caring and all that.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

a little below the belt with that shot

No need for that attitude at all. Everyone parents differently. I don't have the luxury of being able to afford everything my child might want and as a result, sometimes if she really wants something, she uses her money to pay for the both of us to go there because my wages are limited and used to pay for things like food, rent, heat etc.
    If I could afford to do everything then my daughter would be able to save her communion money but hey, c'est la vie.

Oh and my child shares her Halloween sweets with me. She actually appreciates the fact that I do so much for her and she doesn't have a "mine" attitude about things she gets.
    She often buys me something out of her pocket money. She is a good kid like that. She won't squirrel away her sweets and money and leave others without.
    Sharing is caring and all that.
    :rolleyes:

And that's the way we were brought up. We got to do some fun stuff - but always WITH our parents and siblings - and that's how we wanted it!

Looking back at my childhood ... if there had ever been a time where I had money but left my parents struggling ... I'd feel pretty damn ashamed right now, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I don't really understand the question. Having spent the year preparing to receive the sacrament and learning about the Holy Spirit, I'm sure most children give the money they receive to charity.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." ( Matthew 6:19-21)

"You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." ( Mark 10:21)

Failing that, Prize Bonds, Lego, and a 99 would seem reasonable to me.

• Advertisement

ok, i admit that was a below the belt comment. I do apologise.

But, hey, i struggle too, i'm a single parent too..
    but i just do not agree with a whole family been taken on a holiday with one childs communion money. I struggle with money, so my daughters communion was a small affair, as was her confirmation. I saved some money to have a small party. But any money she recieved as gifts is hers, not mine. Hopefully i can encourage her to spend it wisely when down the line she needs it for important things that i cannot afford. i.e not holidays or parties.

ok, i admit that was a below the belt comment. I do apologise.

But, hey, i struggle too, i'm a single parent too..
    but i just do not agree with a whole family been taken on a holiday with one childs communion money. I struggle with money, so my daughters communion was a small affair, as was her confirmation. I saved some money to have a small party. But any money she recieved as gifts is hers, not mine. Hopefully i can encourage her to spend it wisely when down the line she needs it for important things that i cannot afford. i.e not holidays or parties.

And that's your choice. But that doesn't mean because I do things differently that I'm wrong or you're wrong.
    Everyone knows their own child and their own life and their own finances. And personally I think it's for each parent to decide what way they bring up their child and to decide what is right for their own family.

It's also worth bearing in mind that if they use one childs communion money for a holiday, they will most likely do the same with their other kids. Therefore if there are 3 kids, each child gets 3 holidays out of their communion money for example.

Also, coming from a house of 5 kids where I was the youngest and the most spoiled, I got far more for my communion than my siblings but it was a mute point because I got the same to spend as the others had gotten and the rest was used by my mother for whatever.
    Fairest way of doing it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I made my Communion in 1992 and got £105, but I think my parents used it to pay for the day, never saw any of the money myself as far as I can remember. The Confirmation was different though - money firmly in fist, straight in to Lifestyle Sports to buy a PlayStation and Die Hard Trilogy. Can't remember how or why Lifestyle sold PlayStations at that time but there ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

i was'nt allowed to go around collecting from neighbours and relatives much but that was in the 60's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

And that's your choice. But that doesn't mean because I do things differently that I'm wrong or you're wrong.
    Everyone knows their own child and their own life and their own finances. And personally I think it's for each parent to decide what way they bring up their child and to decide what is right for their own family.

it is up to each parent as to how they bring up their children but i have to ask all the parents who keep insisting its their money to spend because the child does it for the 'family'

would you also agree with sending your 16 year old to work and give their wages for the family?

it is just my belief that a communion child is just that a communion child, we as adults should be letting them have a childhood, not be worrying about mommy(and/or daddy) needing them to share their money given to them to pay the bills or for holidays because mommy (and/or daddy) can't afford them,

there are needs and luxuries people really need to learn the difference, holidays are a luxury if you need your childs money to pay for you to get some sun tan, then shame on you!

you are not teaching your child to 'share' its an excuse to excuse taking it, you are teaching your child its ok for parents to take whats not rightfully theirs from their children,

how would you feel if you got your wages and your child took half and didnt tell you how much you earned?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    would you also agree with sending your 16 year old to work and give their wages for the family?

In this day and age there is no need for any 16 year old to have to drop out of education and work full time.
    However I don't disagree with a 16 year old having a part time job for things like clothes, trips etc. Working weekends or babysitting so that they can have a bit of extra pocket money, thus relieving their parents of the pressure to pay for the more frivoulous things the child wants, if the parents are strapped for cash.

it is just my belief that a communion child is just that a communion child, we as adults should be letting them have a childhood, not be worrying about mommy(and/or daddy) needing them to share their money given to them to pay the bills or for holidays because mommy (and/or daddy) can't afford them,

Well, you've clearly led a very different life to me. There is no way parents can hide it from a child that money is tight. Any child of school going age knows that there are kids who have more or less than they do, depending on their circumstances. If you have no money it's impossible not to have your child notice that.
    My child knows we don't have much but she knows we have enough. I always tell her I've enough to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and heat the house. But not enough for the lavish birthdays parties her friends have, the designer gear and the countless extra curricular activities the others do.
    Same as I knew as a child that we had less. It didn't mean I lay awake at night fretting over it. It just meant I knew what to ask for and when not to bother.
    there are needs and luxuries people really need to learn the difference, holidays are a luxury if you need your childs money to pay for you to get some sun tan, then shame on you!
    Because that's all a holiday with the family is about. A suntan. :rolleyes:
    you are not teaching your child to 'share' its an excuse to excuse taking it, you are teaching your child its ok for parents to take whats not rightfully theirs from their children,
    how would you feel if you got your wages and your child took half and didnt tell you how much you earned?

I don't know about you but easily over half my wage goes on my child. Maybe I don't see anything wrong with her sharing what she has when I give so much of what I have.
    You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to do it yourself. But don't try to imply that I am "stealing" from my child :mad:

In this day and age there is no need for any 16 year old to have to drop out of education and work full time.
    However I don't disagree with a 16 year old having a part time job for things like clothes, trips etc. Working weekends or babysitting so that they can have a bit of extra pocket money, thus relieving their parents of the pressure to pay for the more frivoulous things the child wants, if the parents are strapped for cash.

so you agree a 16 year old doesn't have to earn money through the means to them at that time which would be to work, to pay for the family but you think an 8 year old should have to earn money through the means to them at that time which would be their communion, to pay (money given specifically to them via the name on the card) for the family ????
    Well, you've clearly led a very different life to me. There is no way parents can hide it from a child that money is tight. Any child of school going age knows that there are kids who have more or less than they do, depending on their circumstances. If you have no money it's impossible not to have your child notice that.
    My child knows we don't have much but she knows we have enough. I always tell her I've enough to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and heat the house. But not enough for the lavish birthdays parties her friends have, the designer gear and the countless extra curricular activities the others do.
    Same as I knew as a child that we had less. It didn't mean I lay awake at night fretting over it. It just meant I knew what to ask for and when not to bother.

actually you'd be surprised, my mum a single mum rarely had money when we were young,

we never knew how bad it was because she protected us like parents should,we never went on holidays, when all my friends were in France/Spain/Turkey, we went on day trips to the beach and had as good a time, it was the best she could afford, when they all went to swimming pools, she bought a £5 paddling pool and stuck us in that in the garden for the summer, she baked and did everything she could to cut costs, she joined management saving schemes just to afford communions/christmases where she'd pay £5 a week here and there till she had enough to give us close to the day our friends were having, we understood some people would have bouncy castles..etc and we wouldn't but we would still have the best fun,

she made sacrifices for us in any way she could but we never felt we missed out, and she never 'dipped' into our communion/birthday money and i respect her more for the fact she didn't need us to bail her out financially and not to mention how handy my communion/confirmation money came in when i went to college. i wouldn't have been able to go to college if it wasn't for my mum putting the money aside, meanwhile i don't barely remember my communion day. i know when it comes down to communion 'family' holiday v college which outcome i preferred.

Because that's all a holiday with the family is about. A suntan. :rolleyes:

tbh as i said above there are alternatives, if you can't afford a holiday (which is a luxury not a need) don't use your own childs money to pay for it. accept you (the parent) cannot afford one!
    I don't know about you but easily over half my wage goes on my child. Maybe I don't see anything wrong with her sharing what she has when I give so much of what I have.
    You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to do it yourself. But don't try to imply that I am "stealing" from my child :mad:

you give so much of what you have because you chose to have your child, your child did not choose you as a parent, as a responsible adult and parent you should understand the simple concept you are the responsible one, which in turn means you are responsible financially not your child,

i am all for sharing, my daughter shares her toys/food and her love, she is a kind child, but she also knows her mum will always look after her, even if mum has soup for dinner 5 nights a week while she eats her veg and red meat (just an example of things broke parents do for their children) thats enough for me, i would be ashamed to take money off her especially money given to her for her, i as her parent are supposed to look after her every need at least until she is legally an adult thats what i chose to do when i had her, and what parent really expects their child to pay them back for money they spent on said child??? . :confused:

i have been the child of a broke parent, i am a parent who has had good times and bad, yes im currently in the good, but i protect my child from the ups and downs that is a miserable financial situation like my parent did for me to give me a childhood,

its what parents do, protect their children and at 8 years old the money should be theirs and only theirs.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    so you agree a 16 year old doesn't have to earn money through the means to them at that time which would be to work, to pay for the family but you think an 8 year old should have to earn money through the means to them at that time which would be their communion, to pay (money given specifically to them via the name on the card) for the family ????
    Eh, a child doesn't earn communion and birthday money. They are gifted money. And if a parent feels the money is better spent on the childs holiday/spending money for the holiday then that's their call. No different than another parent saying it's ok to spend it on an xbox that the whole family can use, or a trampoline that can be used by all. If I had a few kids and one chose to buy a trampoline for eg, should I tell all the other kids they can't use it because one child bought it?

actually you'd be surprised, my mum a single mum rarely had money when we were young,

we never knew how bad it was because she protected us like parents should,we never went on holidays, when all my friends were in France/Spain/Turkey, we went on day trips to the beach and had as good a time, it was the best she could afford, when they all went to swimming pools, she bought a £5 paddling pool and stuck us in that in the garden for the summer, she baked and did everything she could to cut costs, she joined management saving schemes just to afford communions/christmases where she'd pay £5 a week here and there till she had enough to give us close to the day our friends were having, we understood some people would have bouncy castles..etc and we wouldn't but we would still have the best fun,

You're missing my point.
    I'm saying that a child will NOTICE that they have less. Not that they won't be happy. In fact, you agreed with my point. You, as a child, knew that your family couldn't afford things. That's not to say you were an unhappy child. I wasn't an unhappy child. My child is not unhappy.
    But if she decides she wants to spend her communion money on the communion party because it's important to her to have the bouncy castle and the big party, then that is her call. If she chooses to save her money so that she can pay for her own flight so that we can go on holidays this year, then thats also her choice.

she made sacrifices for us in any way she could but we never felt we missed out, and she never 'dipped' into our communion/birthday money and i respect her more for the fact she didn't need us to bail her out financially and not to mention how handy my communion/confirmation money came in when i went to college. i wouldn't have been able to go to college if it wasn't for my mum putting the money aside, meanwhile i don't barely remember my communion day. i know when it comes down to communion 'family' holiday v college which outcome i preferred.

I've savings plans in place for college, life insurance, illness plans which I pay for every month. I could argue that your parents were selfish for not making sure they could afford to put you through college instead of making you use your own money. As parents isn't your education their responsibility?

You see, you make judgements on parents without knowing the facts. My daughter is probably better placed financially that many others but for her future. I've all avenues covered should something happen to me and I pay through the nose for that.

tbh as i said above there are alternatives, if you can't afford a holiday (which is a luxury not a need) don't use your own childs money to pay for it. accept you (the parent) cannot afford one!
    I can't afford a holiday but I can afford a college fund. I don't agree with using a childs birthday money for their education. That's MY job.

you give so much of what you have because you chose to have your child, your child did not choose you as a parent, as a responsible adult and parent you should understand the simple concept you are the responsible one, which in turn means you are responsible financially not your child,
    My daughter wasn't planned. I didn't really choose to be a parent but I do my best because the alternative was abortion. So it's not as simplistic as "you chose to have your child" but that's a whole other argument.

As I said, I have my daughter provided for.
    i am all for sharing, my daughter shares her toys/food and her love, she is a kind child, but she also knows her mum will always look after her, even if mum has soup for dinner 5 nights a week while she eats her veg and red meat (just an example of things broke parents do for their children) thats enough for me, i would be ashamed to take money off her especially money given to her for her, i as her parent are supposed to look after her every need at least until she is legally an adult thats what i chose to do when i had her, and what parent really expects their child to pay them back for money they spent on said child??? . :confused:

i have been the child of a broke parent, i am a parent who has had good times and bad, yes im currently in the good, but i protect my child from the ups and downs that is a miserable financial situation like my parent did for me to give me a childhood,

its what parents do, protect their children and at 8 years old the money should be theirs and only theirs.

You'd let your mother go hungry to keep your communion money :confused::eek:

Eh, a child doesn't earn communion and birthday money. They are gifted money. And if a parent feels the money is better spent on the childs holiday/spending money for the holiday then that's their call. No different than another parent saying it's ok to spend it on an xbox that the whole family can use, or a trampoline that can be used by all. If I had a few kids and one chose to buy a trampoline for eg, should I tell all the other kids they can't use it because one child bought it?

no but consider the fact your child will play for years on a trampoline/xbox, they will only get 1 or 2 weeks out of a holiday. if you are stuck for money consider value for money.

You're missing my point.
    I'm saying that a child will NOTICE that they have less. Not that they won't be happy. In fact, you agreed with my point. You, as a child, knew that your family couldn't afford things. That's not to say you were an unhappy child. I wasn't an unhappy child. My child is not unhappy.
    But if she decides she wants to spend her communion money on the communion party because it's important to her to have the bouncy castle and the big party, then that is her call. If she chooses to save her money so that she can pay for her own flight so that we can go on holidays this year, then thats also her choice.

i didn't know as a child i just know now, when we were told, all the bouncy castles are busy and we'll do this (insert less expensive option here)instead it was clearly her way of saying i can't afford it. if your child is offering to pay for her bouncy castle because its important to her she obviously knows you can't afford it and its down to her to pay for things that are important to her.
    I've savings plans in place for college, life insurance, illness plans which I pay for every month. I could argue that your parents were selfish for not making sure they could afford to put you through college instead of making you use your own money. As parents isn't your education their responsibility?

You see, you make judgements on parents without knowing the facts. My daughter is probably better placed financially that many others but for her future. I've all avenues covered should something happen to me and I pay through the nose for that.

again thats still down to you, not her, these are your choices, why should she pay for your choices?

I can't afford a holiday but I can afford a college fund. I don't agree with using a childs birthday money for their education. That's MY job.

paying for their education is a parents job until the child is 18 at which point they are legally an adult and its down to them, my mum helped me out with rent...etc but i knew i was one of the lucky ones whos mum actually helped, ive seen children who once they hit 18 were literally told get a job im not giving you money you are an adult now.

My daughter wasn't planned. I didn't really choose to be a parent but I do my best because the alternative was abortion. So it's not as simplistic as "you chose to have your child" but that's a whole other argument.

As I said, I have my daughter provided for.
    planned or not, if you get pregnant it is a choice to pay for this child for the next 18 years or not have it, its one of conditions of having the child. you don't have children so that they give you money.

then if she is provided for why would you need to take money from her?
    You'd let your mother go hungry to keep your communion money :confused::eek:

thats a bit of a low blow, and tbh my mum unknowingly to us at the time always made sure we were fed first and foremost, i guess its a trait she passed onto me, selflessness for the sake of your child rather then selfish parenting.

ditto with myself, i will go without to make sure my child has what she needs, i do hope she never finds out about it but i was happy to do it to get us through the bad patch.

• Advertisement

Well I don't believe in selflessness for my child. I am not a martyr. I am a parent who works hard, very hard to give my daughter the best in life. But I also am a person in my own right. I never would have my child go without but I don't think I should go without just so my child gets to have a nice savings account.

She doesn't need money. I provide her with what she needs and if she goes to college I will provide for her then too. When i say she is looked after, I mean that in the event of my death she will have enough to get her through college and buy her first home. If I don't die she will have enough to get through college and I will have a good pension so she won't have to look after me when she is grown with a family of her own. I have things in place now for the future and because of this, she will not need her communion and birthday money for something as important as an education. Because of these policies, I have no money for holidays for both of us. So she knows that if we are going on holiday, she will need to have her own spending money or we can't go. Simple as.
    Maybe I'm doing it "differently" to you but you've no right to say I'm doing wrong by my child. That's supremely arrogant.

But yes, I'm damned if I'm going to let her have thousands in the credit union while I go hungry. i would be mortified knowing that I had money in an account as a child and my mother went hungry. I would be angry at her for being such a martyr as to go hungry when there was money for food.
    I don't think that a parent looking after their own health and well being instead of saving every penny for their childs future is "selfish". What use would I be to my daughter be if I was sick?

I don't cease to exist as a person in my own right just because I have a child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement