Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion Money

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh for goodness sake. A bouncy castle is 100 quid for the day. For 20 kids to have a blast in all day long and be still talking about for years afterwards. I still remember a bouncy castle I had a go in at a fair when I was about 12. It was 10 whole minutes of jumping fun.

OP, I think it's a great chance to teach kids about how to deal with money. Opening savings accounts themselves, even if there isn't much in there, is a useful thing to do. Filling out the forms, all that stuff. Don't do it form them, show them how to do it themselves. Learning about shopping around for good value is a good lesson as well.

Many people have no iota how to do that stuff in later years, they end up completely financially illiterate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

LittleBook wrote: »
    Good article in the Irish Times this week which shows how varied people's approach to communion and confirmation money is:

Laughing All The Way To The Bank?

My nephew made over 2000:eek: Big family on both sides plus a rush to be the best donor from the other side of the family.His Godfather gives him 100quid so his aunt on other side gives 150. he's 8 ffs!!! mad.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

silly wrote: »
    I think its relatively new...well maybe the last 10 yrs or so.
    i'm 32, and none of my family had a party..or my class as far as i remember. We went for dinner, no aunts or uncles, maybe granny, and then we went to fota for the day!
    It was always a day out, not a party in my day.

I would have thought that that was a big celebration for the time. I am 38 and never went to the zoo until I had my own kids.

Time changes things for everyone. I buy far more clothes than my mother had at my age get my hair done more often have my own car a nicer house get to go on holidays etc. I dont have an extravagant lifestyle by any means but compared to what my parents had at my age it is extravagant. Obviously children are going to benefit from the changes that time brings too.

My nephew made over 2000:eek: Big family on both sides plus a rush to be the best donor from the other side of the family.His Godfather gives him 100quid so his aunt on other side gives 150. he's 8 ffs!!! mad.......

Ha ha, if one of mine got a large gift like that someone else in the family would think "sure they got plenty, they dont need anything from me" and they would be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

ash23 wrote: »
    Isn't that pretty much a party?

I went to the local school with my classmates and we had TK red lemonade and rice krispie buns. Then it was down to the hotel with my mother and siblings. I consider that a party.

My own daughter had a few over at the house (grandparents, aunts and uncles) and then to my grans house for a tea party with a few gran aunts. Not a bouncy castle in sight but I would call it a party.

Jesus, no, i'm not going to argue with you over this, but no, i wouldnt consider it a party. it was a meal out, and then to fota. not a party...a day out yes, a party...no.

• Advertisement

Daisy M wrote: »
    I would have thought that that was a big celebration for the time. I am 38 and never went to the zoo until I had my own kids.

Time changes things for everyone. I buy far more clothes than my mother had at my age get my hair done more often have my own car a nicer house get to go on holidays etc. I dont have an extravagant lifestyle by any means but compared to what my parents had at my age it is extravagant. Obviously children are going to benefit from the changes that time brings too.

yes, it WAS a big day out! I had a ball!....I'm not saying that i didnt?:confused:

yes, it WAS a big day out! I had a ball!....I'm not saying that i didnt?:confused:

I think your splitting hairs, the cost of a day out like that for my family would cost as much as the parties at home. I dont see the difference between a day out or party anyway both the same a celebration of the day thats taken place. Also you have said you are a single mum, comparing yourself to ash . I am sorry but if my memory serves me right you are recently married I know its not to the childs father but it is still a different situation to hers and I get the impression you are making unfair comparisons to her when you have a completly different setup. I am not trying to argue with you but I do feel as though you went out of your way to belittle her and her choices.

I think your splitting hairs, the cost of a day out like that for my family would cost as much as the parties at home. I dont see the difference between a day out or party anyway both the same a celebration of the day thats taken place. Also you have said you are a single mum, comparing yourself to ash . I am sorry but if my memory serves me right you are recently married I know its not to the childs father but it is still a different situation to hers and I get the impression you are making unfair comparisons to her when you have a completly different setup. I am not trying to argue with you but I do feel as though you went out of your way to belittle her and her choices.

Are you for real? Seriously?
    I have never said that i had a problem with parties for kids for their communion/confirmation, We had a small party at home for my daughter for both occasions. The opinion i expressed initally was people spending their childs money, that was given to them as a gift, on a family holiday.
    And bringing up aspects of my life that i have not mentioned in this particular thread is totally uncalled for.
    I am a single mother if you must know, to an 11 yr old. I have brought her up and supported her on my own, without the help of her father, if you did your snooping correctly you will see that i have had many years of going to court to try and get some kind of support for my daughter.
    Yes, i am married now, but i am still a single mother and supporting my daughter on my own. You have no right to come on here and assume that i am in a far better financial situation because i am married now.
    Shame on you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod note*

Can we keep it civil here please?

Are you for real? Seriously?
    I have never said that i had a problem with parties for kids for their communion/confirmation, We had a small party at home for my daughter for both occasions. The opinion i expressed initally was people spending their childs money, that was given to them as a gift, on a family holiday.
    And bringing up aspects of my life that i have not mentioned in this particular thread is totally uncalled for.
    I am a single mother if you must know, to an 11 yr old. I have brought her up and supported her on my own, without the help of her father, if you did your snooping correctly you will see that i have had many years of going to court to try and get some kind of support for my daughter.
    Yes, i am married now, but i am still a single mother and supporting my daughter on my own. You have no right to come on here and assume that i am in a far better financial situation because i am married now.
    Shame on you.

I didnt do any snooping I have a good memory and I remember you mentioning been married on a couple of different threads, I dont see the harm in that You were the one who numerously mentioned been a single mum like ash, I just pointed out that there is a bit of a difference, what is the problem? All I did was point out that you are in a different situation to ash who from what I gather is single in every sense of the word she has no one to share household bills mortgage and payments with like married people like ourselves and her childs father has not contributed ever. I have no idea why you would find this so offensive, strange really.:confused:

• Advertisement

I didnt do any snooping I have a good memory and I remember you mentioning been married on a couple of different threads, I dont see the harm in that You were the one who numerously mentioned been a single mum like ash, I just pointed out that there is a bit of a difference, what is the problem? All I did was point out that you are in a different situation to ash who from what I gather is single in every sense of the word she has no one to share household bills mortgage and payments with like married people like ourselves and her childs father has not contributed ever. I have no idea why you would find this so offensive, strange really.:confused:

I feel you are making out that I have/had an issue with Ash, and I havent. She mentioned she is a single parent..as am I. We both have our own struggles in life with being a single parent, and I have no problem with the way she raises her child as i'm sure that she has no issues with the way I raise mine either.
    I simply stated, and i am actually blue in the face from saying this, that I didnt agree with buying a family hoilday with a childs money, I don't think Ash even said that she did that!?
    I have alot of respect for single parents,doing it on their own without support,Ash included.
    I don't need you to come on here and point out that myself and Ash arent in EXACTLY the same situation. I'm well aware of that.
    But again, dont assume that I am financially better off because I am married.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Can we please get back on topic or I will close the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i think what happened in this thread is that advice became borderline criticism, i think all of us can become very defensive too when it comes to how we raise our families as we are all trying to do the best we can with what we have.

I do not think there is any right or wrong with communion money and how its spent, once the parents heart is in the right place and the child benefits from the finacial rewards the communion day provides in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

silly, can you explain how you're a single parent if you're married?

I'm not trying to take any sides in the argument here, just curious about what seems like a very odd statement...

Off topic.

I am closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement