Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopped at Check Point

• 14-05-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey, I was just wondering how to handle a situation.... Stopped by the guards with no insurance or tax on the car. I had just bought it that day to give to my ex-partner so she could get around easier with the kids. As I bought it in her name the log book will come out in her name and it'll be her taxing and insuring the car. She now tells me she doesn't want the car as she cannot afford to pay insurance or tax.

Just wondering what I have to do in regards to producing for the guards? Do i tax it when I am going to be selling it and then insure myself on it also. I have a strong feeling that if I told this story to a Garda he would not care too much.

Like can I show him the log book when it comes in to say it was bought that day in her name and she now has no intention to insure it or use the car? I know the law is pretty straight forward when it comes to getting stopped with no insurance .... but was hoping i might be able to get out of it if i sold the car?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You were driving an uninsured vehicle - why do you think you might be able to get out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Albundy30 wrote: »
    Hey, I was just wondering how to handle a situation.... Stopped by the guards with no insurance or tax on the car. I had just bought it that day to give to my ex-partner so she could get around easier with the kids. As I bought it in her name the log book will come out in her name and it'll be her taxing and insuring the car. She now tells me she doesn't want the car as she cannot afford to pay insurance or tax.

Just wondering what I have to do in regards to producing for the guards? Do i tax it when I am going to be selling it and then insure myself on it also. I have a strong feeling that if I told this story to a Garda he would not care too much.

Like can I show him the log book when it comes in to say it was bought that day in her name and she now has no intention to insure it or use the car? I know the law is pretty straight forward when it comes to getting stopped with no insurance .... but was hoping i might be able to get out of it if i sold the car?

Any advice is appreciated :)

You can't drive a car without insurance or tax. There's nothing you can do and it was stupid of you to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was the car insured for you to drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Might get off on the tax.Insurance no way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

No insurance - only one outcome in this case i'm afraid no matter what the underlying circumstances are, chances are you are looking at a while off the road as a result

the tax bit you have a bit of grace period after buying the car , i believe this can be up to 28days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you have insurance on your own car it maybe possible that this covers you to drive other cars that are not in your name.Not sure if there other car also needs to be insured by some one else.

See the details of your insurance policy

godtabh wrote: »
    If you have insurance on your own car it maybe possible that this covers you to drive other cars that are not in your name.Not sure if there other car also needs to be insured by some one else.

See the details of your insurance policy

only if the car in question has insurance on it , unless you have a trade policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You may actually have been insured. My insurance allows me to drive other cars as long as I don't actually own them. That's very common on insurance policies.

If you bought it in her name, you don't own the car at all. That's assuming you have insurance of your own? Check the T&Cs on the cert. In the same scenario. I would be insured as long as the car wasn't in my name.

Can't do anything about the tax though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Albundy30

Yeah i know i should of sorted insurance out.... i am fully insured on my own car, just i seen this car on side of the road really cheap and just bought it and then drove it back to her house but was stopped on the way :( Just bad luck really.
    I know my own car has nothing to do with the new car but is it possible to do something with my insurance like swapping it over to the new car even though its in the exs name just to produce?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Gally05 wrote: »
    only if the car in question has insurance on it , unless you have a trade policy

That is not true. It all depends on the wording of the policy. Most simply insure you to drive a particular car and any other car you don't own.
    The o/p might be able to get out of the insurance if he is clever enough and properly advised. It would be a very complicated process and would need a lot of skill.

i stand corrected !!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Albundy30

Thanks for the info. I'll check with insurance company about how I am fixed for driving other uninsured cars. And I'll get tax sorted.

Nice bunch of helpful johnnys aren't you's ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Albundy30 wrote: »
    just i seen this car on side of the road really cheap and just bought it and then drove it back to her house but was stopped on the way :( Just bad luck really.

None of that is bad luck. It's just stupidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

You were driving an uninsured vehicle - why do you think you might be able to get out of it?

Just because the vehicle was uninsured does not automatically mean he is guilty or be convicted. There are three possible defences that i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Just because the vehicle was uninsured does not automatically mean he is guilty or be convicted. There are three possible defences that i can think of.

Oh?

Advertisement