Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named Driver with endorsement on car insurance

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    My partner had a driving endorsement on his licence which has now finished, I was wondering if this would increase my car insurance premium hugely if he was to go as a named driver on my own policy?
    He has his own car insurance policy its just so he could drive my car the odd time if needed but dont want to add him if its going to increase it hugely? and will it look bad on my insurance if I have a named driver with an endorsement on my cover?
    Anyone any insight?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

depends on the endorsement and what it is for. If its drink driving, it depends on the exact details as to how much over he was and what ban he received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I'm confused...if this endorsement is finished just get it removed? Or do you mean the ban is finished and now the endorsement applies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ask your insurance company. usually they only look for endorsements or points or whatever in the last 3 / 5 years etc. they will be able to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rocketchick

thanks for replies, the ban has finished this year so his licence was endorsed for the period of the ban .

endorsements usually last for 3 years after the ban has finished, look into whether or not this is the case

• Advertisement

Thanks Dearglady,
    I did some googling, am I right in thinking that now the ban has finished the endorsement starts once he is able to start driving again and the endorsement lasts for three years and is marked on his licence?
    and that endorsements are automatically applied following a ban?
    thanks for the help

sorry if I was unclear I am using terminology Im not sure of.
    he was disqualified and now that has finished I thought that was an endorsement but it appears they are totally different things

Thanks Dearglady,
    I did some googling, am I right in thinking that now the ban has finished the endorsement starts once he is able to start driving again and the endorsement lasts for three years and is marked on his licence?
    and that endorsements are automatically applied following a ban?
    thanks for the help

As far as I know this is correct, but also note that the endorsement must be physically stamp on a current licence. I know of people who's licences expired during their ban, they didn't renew it until a few years after the ban, thinking the endorsement would be finished, but it only went on to the licence when they renewed it!

As for you original question, I imagine it would make a difference, but it will depend on insurance co :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

There's no time limit on most insurance policiest to end the disclosure period. With claims they ask for the last 5 years but with convictions the date is usually open-ended.

thanks very much for all the replies and information :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement