Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse in the house

• 14-05-2012 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Sitting in the living room friday night and a mouse ran through the room. We well should say my mother managed with the sweeping brush to get the mouse in to the hall where she opened the hall door and we are 99 percent sure she pushed him out. We looked in the area it had been in and no sign of it at all. Saturday morning while we were pulling the place apart found one or two at most droppings on the kitchen floor which couldve been there since the mouse on the friday night. Anyway went out and bought some traps and laid them down where the mouse ran from, the hot press, and in the kitchen. Hard to put them in places where our dog cant get at the traps either. Checked again last night for droppings and no sightings so far and traps untouched. My mam reckons its just the one mouse that couldve got in the front or back door and is now hopefully gone but I on the other hand am really nervous that there could be more, Im lying in bed listening for them and everything as you can probably tell they absolutely terrify me. Only short of packing a bag and moving out Ive suggested calling in pest control but my mam thinks theres no need as it couldve just been one, any one think a few traps will suffice or should I be calling in the professionals now or hold off until we see if theres any more sign of them? Advice greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

You will need to keep your dog food & cereals in a safe place (sealed storage containers).When feeding your pet leave the food outside.
    You can also go down the electronic way "Whole Home" pest repellers.
    It plugs into the power and the unit uses the house wiring to repel the rodents or the good old mouse trap from your hardware.
    In the kitchen I use peppermint oil as it is a natural deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

set a few traps, they love choc biscuits so set a biscuit piece in the trap. Sorry to say but there is usually more than 1. You will get them with the traps. Leave the traps in the kitchen and close all doors for the night.

Mouse stew for dinner the next day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 s.mulligan

Has anyone had any luck with the catch and release method? I found something about humane mouse control http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/humane-mouse-traps-c-21_132.html and was wondering if anyone had given this a go and how it turned out. As much as I dislike mice I don't want to kill them and be haunted by tiny ghosts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

s.mulligan wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck with the catch and release method? I found something about humane mouse control http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/humane-mouse-traps-c-21_132.html and was wondering if anyone had given this a go and how it turned out. As much as I dislike mice I don't want to kill them and be haunted by tiny ghosts...
    or hundreds of offspring........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Edit: My post duplicated others, sorry.

Give it a couple of days, let the traps do their work. It took me about 2 weeks before I caught the mouse when we had one recently.

Check them for bait, as I found they're clever enough to remove bait without setting off the trap! Chocolate spread / peanut butter worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Please, oh please, tell me you are not serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Usually if there's one mouse there's millions more...sorry to say but we found that they were getting in through small gaps in the wall outside and running up the inside wall and up into the attic. Clever like blighters...lol
    Any way, instead of setting traps, well we set just 2 with chocolate , sealed up all the holes. I could hear them at night scraping up the walls behind me. Eventually they starved and that was the end of it. Think I got 6!!

Hope this helps...maybe you'll need a whiskey at night....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I had mice in the house a few years ago and used the humane traps. I caught six little tiny big eared feckers and let them go in the local field.
    No hundreds of offspring and haven't seen a mouse since. I really don't see why people are so keen to kill them, they are tiny little things and are hardly likely to maul anyone to death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I had mice in the house a few years ago and used the humane traps. I caught six little tiny big eared feckers and let them go in the local field.
    No hundreds of offspring and haven't seen a mouse since. I really don't see why people are so keen to kill them, they are tiny little things and are hardly likely to maul anyone to death!

A mouse is a pest, pure & simple and should be treated accordingly. None of this namby, pamby rubbish about releasing them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

I guess people are correct to say, catch them and then release them! In an ideal world yes! But you must also accept that people (me included) are scared out of our wits by them, oh its only a mouse..... To you perhaps!
    Scared or not they have no place in a persons home and personally Shinnack i would assume the worst, that there are more and cash permitting get pest control out!
    It comes down to your fear i think. Some people here will lay traps, fair play to them, i am clearly a sissy!
    But lets face facts, they are unwelcom visitors and set up if not tackled early so why take the risk! Its about peace of mind and your health!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

A mouse is a pest, pure & simple and should be treated accordingly. None of this namby, pamby rubbish about releasing them.:mad:

Your opinion and I am entitled to mine

Advertisement