Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 disk tray issue

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

The disk tray on my Xbox 360 has begun opening and closing by itself. It can randomly happen when a game is playing. Anyone know what this issue might be and can it be resolved simply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

What model is the console

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Is there something stuck in the drive? Happened to me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

Its the Xbox 360 250GB

Im pretty sure there isnt anything stuck in the drive. I've done my best to clean it out but the problem continues!

Ok so being 250gb console I'll assume it's the S model.

The first thing to try is clearing the system cache

System settings
    Console settings
    Highlight HDD
    Press y
    Select Clear system cache

If that doesn't resolve it it could be down to enviromental issues but being in Ireland I doubt it

All that leaves is a repair. You should still be under warranty as it's 2 years for Ireland.
    You can book it 2 ways
    Yourself on xbox.com or you can ring Xbox customer support and they'll set it up and explain the process

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

pretty simple repair.
    Its a mechanical problem of the moving parts in the DVD drive ,
    Its either one of two things in my experience - build up of dirt and debris in drive and/or a worn out drive belt.
    The best way of tackling this is to sort both problems

1) Open up the console,

2) Open the dvd drive and completely clean all moving parts,

3) Oil all of the moving parts that need oil

4) Replace the dvd drive belt after cleaning the cogs it sits on with 90%+ isypropal alcohol

Put everything back together and it should be as good as new :D

• Advertisement

pretty simple repair.
    Its either one of two things in my experience - build up of dirt and debris in drive and/or a worn out drive belt.

1) Open up the console,

4) Replace the dvd drive belt after cleaning the cogs it sits on with 90%+ isypropal alcohol

5) Get console ban :D

Felexicon wrote: »
    pretty simple repair.

1) Open up the console,

5) Get console ban :D
    Why would you get a console ban for fixing your console ?

You get a console ban for modifying the firmware of the DVD drive or messing with the NAND contents.

I should know I've fixed over 100 xbox 360 without a single console ban.

I end up posting the same thing in this forum every time I post about console repairs. You do NOT get banned for repairing your console as microsoft cannot tell and generally don't care as its one less console they have to pay to repair under warranty.

What you can get banned for is console modding such as jtag and DVD drive flashing and possibly for using a modded controller

Clearly your not 100% about what you are talking about and are just repeating rumours created by people who don't know what their on about.

You get a console ban for modifying the firmware of the DVD drive or messing with the NAND contents.

I end up posting the same thing in this forum every time I post about console repairs. You do NOT get banned for repairing your console as microsoft cannot tell and generally don't care.

What you can get banned for is console modding such as jtag and DVD drive flashing and possibly for using a modded controller
    OK. You know better than me. That's cool :rolleyes:. What could I possibly know

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

You don't get banned for fixing it... you can be banned for tampering with the firmware... but not for fixing the console or adding fans to it :P

Sync wrote: »
    You don't get banned for fixing it... you can be banned for tampering with the firmware... but not for fixing the console or adding fans to it :P
    You know this for a fact??????????
    What happens if he takes it apart and can't fix it?
    Also as its an s model it will still be under warranty to get repaired for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

pretty simple repair.

1) Open up the console,

He will lose his warranty with MS. If you have a warranty and are unsure of how to fix it, send it to them.

He will lose his warranty with MS. If you have a warranty and are unsure of how to fix it, send it to them.
    Thanks man. Finally someone with a bit of sense

I end up posting the same thing in this forum every time I post about console repairs. You do NOT get banned for repairing your console as microsoft cannot tell and generally don't care.

OK. You know better than me. That's cool :rolleyes:. What could I possibly know
    I don't know you and I don't know what you know about the inner workings of an Xbox 360 on a component and/or software level.

I on the other hand know a reasonable amount from personal experience of dealing with them and running a relatively successful repair service as a hobby a while back.

And I know for a fact that there is no way you will get banned for repairing your own console as the console is turned off the whole time and unplugged from the wall and there is no way that a company can tell if you opened your console without having it In front of them.

This rumour is silly superstition and if you actually think about how such a system would work you would realise how ridiculous this superstition that some people on this forum is.

Thanks man. Finally someone with a bit of sense
    Obviously this is the way to go if you have a warranty and are unsure of what your doing by all means send it to Microsoft. But if you don't have a warranty or don't want to wait its a very simple repair.

But since the op asked what the problem was and how it was resolved I gave him the information he was looking for

And you will not get banned as your not tampering with it only cleaning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You know this for a fact??????????
    What happens if he takes it apart and can't fix it?
    Also as its an s model it will still be under warranty to get repaired for free

You will not get banned simply for opening/repairing your console. Fact.
    If there's still any warranty on it, that's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

EnterNow wrote: »
    You will not get banned simply for opening/repairing your console. Fact.
    If there's still any warranty on it, that's the way to go.
    Hes right, you wont get banned for self repairing, only for using modded firmware

Advertisement