Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets and household cleaning products question.

• 14-05-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi,
    My stairs/landing/bedrooms are carpeted with a light beige carpet that has started to look a bit grubby lately. A friend recommended a new carpet cleaning product on the market.....not sure if I’m allowed name it but it comes in a pink package and is called ****bang. It doesn’t say anything on the container about being harmful to pet but I’m worried it might irritate my dog’s noise/paws. It’s one of those products you spray on, let sit then vacuum up. Has anyone who has a pet used a similar product, was your pet ok with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I use to have light beige carpet on the stairs and in the sitting room. I pulled it up. Problem solved. Getting dog hair out of carpet isn't fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I also have a light beige carpet and I have 4 dogs :eek:

I hired a machine from woodies and cleaned the carpet brilliantly, but 6 months later it is as bad as ever. So I'm ripping it up and getting laminate in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I wouldn't use anything that strong around pets. Maybe a steam cleaner might be a way to go? i'm not sure about the price though. We used to have beige carpet (when I rented) and it was a nightmare. Got professional cleaners in to steam the carpets and got most of the grime up (it certainly brought it up a few shades lol)

Also as a general rule, anything that goes cloudy when diluted in water is a no-no (especially around cats and fish). I was going to use J*y*s fluid yesterday to clean the outdoor enclosure I have for my cats during the summer (its a little brick house with access to a fenced section of garden, in case anyone thinks I have animlas in cages lol) and when I read the back it said "do not use if pregnant, do not use around fish, dilute in at least 5 litres of water, ventilate area after use" etc and I thought no way am I letting my little guys get that stuff on their paws...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 1Tony1

I use that quite alot and i have two small dogs but i make sure to just keep them away when i have put it down (may seem obvious but some people might not know) just because they might try eat it which would be very bad, and i keep them out of the hallway for at least a few hours after ive hoovered it up just to make sure its safe, I havent had any problems and do it regularly enough as i wouldnt be able to afford to hire any type of machine and im a bit of a clean freak too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Thanks for the replies. In fairness my dog hasn't made my carpet dirty, its just a bit grubby from age. She doesn't shed either, thankfully! I asked around about getting professionals in but the general feed back was that the those industrial cleaners damage the tread and its never the same after. I though this shop bought cleaner might do the job since its just a bit grubby not exactly dirty. Will never get beige carpet ever again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ClubDead wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. In fairness my dog hasn't made my carpet dirty, its just a bit grubby from age. She doesn't shed either, thankfully! I asked around about getting professionals in but the general feed back was that the those industrial cleaners damage the tread and its never the same after. I though this shop bought cleaner might do the job since its just a bit grubby not exactly dirty. Will never get beige carpet ever again!!!

Every 4 months I rent a professional carpet cleaner from hills hire in cabinteely, I only have carpet on stairs and landing. It is a big massive pain but it has to be done. I only rent it for 1 day I think it costs €35 including a bottle of shampoo. Although my friend swears by vanish carpet cleaner. Last summer I bought a vac carpet cleaner and vaccum but have it away as it is not half as good as the professional one. If I could I would rip it up. I have wooden floors and tiles everywhere else and I invested
    In a karcher steam cleaner and it was the best money I ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

Millem wrote: »

Every 4 months I rent a professional carpet cleaner from hills hire in cabinteely, I only have carpet on stairs and landing. It is a big massive pain but it has to be done. I only rent it for 1 day I think it costs €35 includina bottle of shampoo. Although my friend swears by vanish carpet cleaner. Last summer I bought a vac carpet cleaner and vaccum but have it away as it is not half as good as the professional one. If I could I would rip it up. I have wooden floors and tiles everywhere else and I invested

Do you use the karcher on the carpets too? Have 3 dogs carpet upstairs think of a vac but you may have changed my mind think I'll try the professional one first did you find it does a good job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Roxbb wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »

Every 4 months I rent a professional carpet cleaner from hills hire in cabinteely, I only have carpet on stairs and landing. It is a big massive pain but it has to be done. I only rent it for 1 day I think it costs €35 includina bottle of shampoo. Although my friend swears by vanish carpet cleaner. Last summer I bought a vac carpet cleaner and vaccum but have it away as it is not half as good as the professional one. If I could I would rip it up. I have wooden floors and tiles everywhere else and I invested

Do you use the karcher on the carpets too? Have 3 dogs carpet upstairs think of a vac but you may have changed my mind think I'll try the professional one first did you find it does a good job?

No I do not use karcher steam cleaner on my carpets I tried it on a rug but i don't think it did much. I always rent a professional one (don't know brand but hills hire do not have karcher). Professional ones are unreal you will actually get sick when you see the black gunk coming off your "clean" carpets! I do them three times with the professional cleaner, it is back breaking work but so worth it! Rent a professional one you will be amazed you can use it as a vaccum cleaner too! I also do my car with it!

Advertisement