Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Newbie - help plz

• 14-05-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm new-ish to Apple products, I can navigate the iPod no problem and have played with the odd iPhone and iPad but never had to do anything with iTunes or setting up an apple accounts etc..

My son just got an iPod Touch and I have gift card to top up the account.
    Can anyone recommend the best way for me to set up an apple account for my son to use iTunes/download apps - but for me to manage the account?

Am I right in saying I can't set up an account for him directly due to min age requirements...?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Pablo

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Pablod wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new-ish to Apple products, I can navigate the iPod no problem and have played with the odd iPhone and iPad but never had to do anything with iTunes or setting up an apple accounts etc..

My son just got an iPod Touch and I have gift card to top up the account.
    Can anyone recommend the best way for me to set up an apple account for my son to use iTunes/download apps - but for me to manage the account?

Am I right in saying I can't set up an account for him directly due to min age requirements...?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Pablo

I would suggest having a look here. Its the Apple support site for iTunes, and full of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Pablod wrote: »

yes. set up an ID using your email address, or just set up a gmail for the purposes of this.

but heres a tip: before creating the ID attempt to purchase a free app...any app. the ipod will prompt you to create a new ID. do this. when you get to section to input payment details, visa, mastercard etc, select NONE. that way no credit card is associated with the account, thus safeguarding against any future mishaps if your kid goes on an app buying frenzy. (this cannot be done if you create an ID from scratch)

now, once your id is setup, go to the itunes store on the ipod, scroll to the bottom and click on redeem, this will allow you to put credit on your account using a giftcard.

for extra protection, go to settings>general>restrictions on the ipod and tailor what your child can and cant do on the ipod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Thanks for that whiterebel - found some bits but bit of a maze trying to find particular topics

and thanks 120_minutes - I just used my own email for his account and was able to select no CC - gift card went through fine

But that is very good on the General Restrictions;
    I have it locked down to his age now which is great.
    Thanks again
    Pablo

Advertisement