Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 7 - *Have Not Read The Books* (Spoilers)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

watched it again there, the only episode this season I've watched twice as it was so good. I love the little exchange between Jaime and Cat in the cell

Jaime: "what was the name of the bastard that Ned fathered?"
    Catelyn *motioning to Brianne*: "Brianne...."
    Jaime "no..that wasn't it"

brilliant stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Referring to Sansa's period as "moon blood" just made me think of
    gfd_l11.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd have thought that having a few of us here who are careful not to give spoilers but who can answer questions about back-story, clear up confusion etc should save people from stumbling across things they don't want to know about were they to google for answers to their questions is a good thing.

So far, the only real spoilers I've seen in this forum were from one prick claiming to be "predicting" when they'd clearly read the books.

People need to realise that just because someone is watching the TV show it doesn't mean they're not going to read the books afterwards so not only are readers potentially spoiling the show but also the books.

Has anyone got some sort of map that shows where each of the groups of characters are at particular points? I can't figure out where Cat and Robb are relative to the various strongholds.

Also, which cities are part of Westeros and where is the border?

And is there some reason that Robb, Theon and Jon Snow all have Ned's broad northern accent while the younger children speak like their mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

One thing that's been glossed over a bit is what Tywin Lannister makes of Joffrey being Jaime's son. He's too intelligent to believe he could be Robert's son and I would have thought he'd find the idea shameful, given what he did to Tyrian's first wife.

He probably would have known long ago based on what the children looked like.

Now he'd probably keep schtum on account of preserving the Lannister legacy but I think the issue deserved a scene somewhere.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The fat kid and the blacksmith have fairly fallen off the radar, only thought of them there this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

What happened Tyrion's first wife? It was referenced in a post above. I missed that from the series.

I still think it was the two orphans that were shown in Winterfell. My view is that those who have read the books are welcome in this forum because the series rips along and it's not always possible to have picked up details (like Tyrion's wife for instance). The book readers will most likely have a more rounded view of the entire story.

Here's a thought. Use spoiler tags. Not really necessary if you're talking about things in the past like Theon taking Winterfell but if you absolutely, positively have to say something like 'Oh Tywin is only pretending to be nice to Arya to keep her on side. He poisons her later', then use those. I must state that that last example was purely made up. I haven't read the books, haven't seen past the episode from last Monday so consider my remark to be an example and largely bullcrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

People need to realise that just because someone is watching the TV show it doesn't mean they're not going to read the books afterwards so not only are readers potentially spoiling the show but also the books.

Has anyone got some sort of map that shows where each of the groups of characters are at particular points? I can't figure out where Cat and Robb are relative to the various strongholds.

Also, which cities are part of Westeros and where is the border?

And is there some reason that Robb, Theon and Jon Snow all have Ned's broad northern accent while the younger children speak like their mother?

No idea on the map but from the climate of the scenes (and assuming that they are similar in climate to Europe) I would say Robb and Cat are still somewhere South of Winterfell (Swedenish) but well north of Kings Landing (Romeish). Perhaps around North-Germanyish. That would be the sort of distances for the changed climates.

That said it doesn't all make sense as Stannis was mentioned as being 5 days from Kings Landing and a couple of episodes ago his army was preparing for battle with Renley in a similar climate area to Robb. When Renley was killed and Cat had to flee she got to Robb's camp quickly. So you would assume Robb is not far away and therefore within a couple of days of Stannis so a week or ten days of Kings Landing. You wouldn't march an army like that from North Germany to Rome in a week. Also he seems to be fighting the Lannister armies under Lord Tyrwin who was said to be too far away to aid Kings Landing so you would assume Tyrwin is weeks away. So one set of people Robb deals with are 5 days from Kings Landing and another are weeks away. It's all very confusing when you try to think about it.

So yes if someone would like to point us to a map that doesn't contain lots of spoilers that would be very appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The fat kid and the blacksmith have fairly fallen off the radar, only thought of them there this morning.

Wasn't the blacksmith (son of Robert) shown at one point as making swords in Lord Tyrwin's camp?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

touts wrote: »
    Wasn't the blacksmith (son of Robert) shown at one point as making swords in Lord Tyrwin's camp?

Yeah I remember that, maybe he just falls off the radar for a while until his true lineage is realised in later seasons or something. Although I imagine if Arya makes a break for it whe'll want him with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

squonk wrote: »
    What happened Tyrion's first wife? It was referenced in a post above. I missed that from the series.

I still think it was the two orphans that were shown in Winterfell. My view is that those who have read the books are welcome in this forum because the series rips along and it's not always possible to have picked up details (like Tyrion's wife for instance). The book readers will most likely have a more rounded view of the entire story.

Here's a thought. Use spoiler tags. Not really necessary if you're talking about things in the past like Theon taking Winterfell but if you absolutely, positively have to say something like 'Oh Tywin is only pretending to be nice to Arya to keep her on side. He poisons her later', then use those. I must state that that last example was purely made up. I haven't read the books, haven't seen past the episode from last Monday so consider my remark to be an example and largely bullcrap.

That reference wasn't actually a spoiler. Tyrion's wife was mentioned toward the end of the first series when he was playing the drinking game with Shae and Bron.

Long ago Jaime and Tyrion met a woman being attacked by rapers. Jaime fought off the men and Tyrion comforted the girl, ended up sleeping with her and got married on the sly, Thing is she was really a whore and Jaime had set the whole thing up for Tyrian to lose his virginity.

When Tywin found out he made Tyrion watch his guards all have sex with his wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

No idea on the map but from the climate of the scenes (and assuming that they are similar in climate to Europe) I would say Robb and Cat are still somewhere South of Winterfell (Swedenish) but well north of Kings Landing (Romeish). Perhaps around North-Germanyish. That would be the sort of distances for the changed climates.

That said it doesn't all make sense as Stannis was mentioned as being 5 days from Kings Landing and a couple of episodes ago his army was preparing for battle with Renley in a similar climate area to Robb. When Renley was killed and Cat had to flee she got to Robb's camp quickly. So you would assume Robb is not far away and therefore within a couple of days of Stannis so a week or ten days of Kings Landing. You wouldn't march an army like that from North Germany to Rome in a week. Also he seems to be fighting the Lannister armies under Lord Tyrwin who was said to be too far away to aid Kings Landing so you would assume Tyrwin is weeks away. So one set of people Robb deals with are 5 days from Kings Landing and another are weeks away. It's all very confusing when you try to think about it.

So yes if someone would like to point us to a map that doesn't contain lots of spoilers that would be very appreciated.

Here's a map from HBO's website so it shouldn't have any spoilers in it...

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/locations/inn-at-the-crossroads/

Robb is currently fighting in the Riverlands (west side of the map, basically in the middle) somewhere in the area between The Twins and Riverrun.

Tywin and his army are based South-East of him in Harrenhall

Stannis is sailing from where Renly died at Storm's End (East side of Westeros, below Kings Landing) up the coast towards Kings Landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Only caught up now :)

The burned kids at the end must be the orphans .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

When Renley was killed and Cat had to flee she got to Robb's camp quickly.
    Getting from Storm's End to Riverlands wouldn't take too long for a small party. The roads look pretty good on that map. The further North you go the worse they get though I imagine.
    So you would assume Robb is not far away and therefore within a couple of days of Stannis so a week or ten days of Kings Landing. You wouldn't march an army like that from North Germany to Rome in a week. Also he seems to be fighting the Lannister armies under Lord Tyrwin who was said to be too far away to aid Kings Landing so you would assume Tyrwin is weeks away.
    Tywin is between Robb and Kings Landing and moving an army takes time and space. Marching in a narrow column would be too dangerous. Also Lannister scouts would spot the redeployment and move to counter it.

Tywin isn't too far from KL to go personally but he can't move his army without allowing the Northerners to move further towards KL or worse from Tywins POV to move into Lannister lands and harass his bannermens holdings from behind the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Lannisters seem terrified of the hit and run tactics of the Brotherhood.
    IRA and War of Independence sort of tactics

I don't know who leads them, maybe a knight. Very little info so far about them
    Hope to see something of them, probably won't be until the next season

Now what would be crazy is if they could take over the Lannister stronghold while Tywin and his men are away.
    Pull what Theon did to Winterfell

Maybe a mad theory but just thinking out loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    That reference wasn't actually a spoiler. Tyrion's wife was mentioned toward the end of the first series when he was playing the drinking game with Shae and Bron.

Long ago Jaime and Tyrion met a woman being attacked by rapers. Jaime fought off the men and Tyrion comforted the girl, ended up sleeping with her and got married on the sly, Thing is she was really a whore and Jaime had set the whole thing up for Tyrian to lose his virginity.

When Tywin found out he made Tyrion watch his guards all have sex with his wife.

Thanks for that Dub! I remember that somewhat now. Really need to watch S1 again. Christ, Tywin, what a bastard!

PS wasn't inferring you were posting spoilers. I'd figured it had been mentioned already and generally took you as being straight up. Thanks for the post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I think its worth noting that westeros is a different world and the rules of time are different, seasons last for years but years and even days might be a little longer, this plays out well for the series as well because a lot of stuff happens co currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Easiest way to picture where places south of the Twins are relative to each other is via an upsidedown map of Ireland:

Robb's in waterford, Harrenhal is Limerick (or probably Killaloe if being precise). Kings Landing is Galway, Storms End is Westport.
    Lysa Arryn is in Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Edit - double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ceegee wrote: »
    Easiest way to picture where places south of the Twins are relative to each other is via an upsidedown map of Ireland:

Robb's in waterford, Harrenhal is Limerick (or probably Killaloe if being precise). Kings Landing is Galway, Storms End is Westport.
    Lysa Arryn is in Kerry

a place that looks like its been roasted from above, it looks just like it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I watched this episode last Tuesday with the mother of hangovers from the weekend and that ending... didn't do me any good!

Advertisement