Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I see I am not the only one who's Wii sits there gathering dust (and the less said about the balance board the better!!!!!) I do get fits and starts of playing it tho. Must dust it off and have a nostalgic go of it. Also I wonder, it talks about the U being backwards compatible (always good) but they mention no guarantee on all games. Now it seems it'l backwards compat with the balance board so all good their. I also have the decks for DJ Hero (why I am not entirely sure!) and wonder will it compat to that. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CastorTroy wrote: »
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    Anyone been to their local Gamestop store and want to save me the trip?
    What's their pricing like in store?

No price yet. Was in Smyths, Gamestop and Xtravision and only Smyths had a price so far.
    HMV are currently €350 for the premium and €380 for the ZombiU edition, didn't ask about the basic but would assume that it's €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is the ZombieU edition just the deluxe/premium with ZombieU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

There's a little confusion right now.
    Some websites say just black 32GB console and zombiu, others say the full premium package and the zombiu game and a pro pad aswell.

There's a little confusion right now.
    Some websites say just black 32GB console and zombiu, others say the full premium package and the zombiu game and a pro pad aswell.
    Premium pack with ZombiU and pro pad, but missing Nintendoland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That's well cheeky to me. Nintendoland should be bundled in with the console regardless, not instead of zombieU.

cloud493 wrote: »
    That's well cheeky to me. Nintendoland should be bundled in with the console regardless, not instead of zombieU.

Agreed. I have gone for the regular premium pack, mainly cos it is already expensive enough and I don't think I can justify the extra expense for the ZombieU edition. Also I don't know as the ZombieU game appeals to me!!! But I was tempted by the pro controller (I can't seem to find a stand alone price point for the pro controller, does anyone have one? I know it'l be about 150 squids for a second pad controller, but I would hope the pro isn't that much. Also I am guessing the pro won't be completely necessary, at least not at first)

A bit, but if they included Nintendoland the ZombiU pack would probably cost another €40-€50 over the premium pack, as it stand you get a pro pad for less than its €60 price tag bundled with it.

Its not as if you wont be able to pick up Nintendoland separately if you want it either, but with ZombiU being an Ubisoft game it will probably be included as part of a lot of shop bundles for about €35-€40 extra with either basic or premium pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know if the wii classic controller pro would work with wii u games?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Anyone know what the story is with pre booking it in gamestop?

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone know if the wii classic controller pro would work with wii u games?
    Its known that the classic controller will work with the WiiU, so I would assume that it would be up to the developers whether it is compatable with their software or not, just like the GameCube pad and classic controller were with the Wii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

With USA Selling out all preorders I said better safe than sorry and Prebooked in HMV in Cork for 15e,
    id rather gone with Gamestop but they wanted 50e with no info on price. Ill miss Midnight launch, doubt HMV will have one,
    which sucks especially as For Wii Midnight Launch was in Times square and met Reggie and one of the first 100 Wii's sold. Picked up PS3 on launch that weekend too :)

But I got tickets for EuroGamer Expo in london in 2 weeks so get some hands on with WiiU there, should be good craic. Gamesom in Germany was great b4 Wii came out. Had private demos with Nintendo Ubisoft and Sega in 2006 :)

Anyways for prices:

HMV:
    300 Standard (I think)
    350 Premium (NintendoLand)
    380 Premium (ZombiU and Pro Controller)

I went with the ZombiU Bundle, Ill pick up Nintendoland separate. 380e, not bad compared to Symths,
    Their prices were 319, 379,419, WHAT A JOKE like...
    Thats 20,30, and 40e more per bundle, so more u spend, more they mark it up...

Heres quick pic of Symths prices :)
    IMG_20120916_153833.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Somethings wrong over on the Gamestop website me thinks!

gubbie wrote: »
    Somethings wrong over on the Gamestop website me thinks!

and be sure they will honour neither.

As above said, my reasoning for pre-odering with Amazon (even though I will A, pay slightly more than if I got it here, and B, it won't come on release day) was the whole fear of it selling out. I mean it is close to Christmas and a new console. I think the chances of you getting one if you don't pre-order are probably slim (unless of course you go to smyths!!!)

The games seem quite steep in price don't they (compared to brand new Wii games and the like) they seem to match PS3 games. I hope they be worth the money

GameStop site now shows 320 and 390....
    Worse than symths... HMV for the win it looks like.
    Fair dues least they only one trying to give good prices after GAME with bust...

Xtra Vision (well my local anyway) doesn't have a bleedin clue. Was in there getting something earlier (The Ratchet and Clank trilogy for the PS3 for the nosey people!) and I asked her about it. She didn't even know the fupping release date ffs. Xtra Vision have gone down the bloody swanny. My local one is half full with CARDS now ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Pre-ordered on Amazon, went for the standard Premium (not with ZombiU) and pre-ordered a copy of New Super Mario Bros U, paid the extra ~£2.5 for delivery on the 30th (I live/work in central London so don't know if that makes a difference and gave me the option).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

kevin2me wrote: »
    GameStop site now shows 320 and 390....
    Worse than symths... HMV for the win it looks like.
    Fair dues least they only one trying to give good prices after GAME with bust...

Rang GameStop newbridge they are saying 300 basic and 350 premium!!!!

Hmv are 289 and 349

I were in the gamestop, still didn't have a price at 4pm.
    The computer said 350, but that's just a placeholder he said.

• Advertisement

Rang GameStop newbridge they are saying 300 basic and 350 premium!!!!

Hmv are 289 and 349

Well that be more like it if they stick to those prices,
    Gamestops Online prices changed today to 320 380
    http://gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=wii+u

But inStore for 300e is pretty good, much more accessible for people at least.

320e for basic is ripoff, especially when same bundle is 230$ Dollars,
    But Nintendo set price in States, whereas new laws in europe mean they cant RRP, anyways europe will always be a good bit more expensive for many reasons like higher wages etc than US, but thats no excuse to start base price at 320e like some retailers are doing.

Anyways guess my point is nintendo dont set Prices here, its greedy retailers.
    And on More positive Note, cant wait for Wii U, going to be great little console,
    I still have ton yet to get thru on Wii's Library, not mind Launch day titles.

kevin2me wrote: »
    Well that be more like it if they stick to those prices,
    Gamestops Online prices changed today to 320 380
    http://gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=wii+u

But inStore for 300e is pretty good, much more accessible for people at least.

320e for basic is ripoff, especially when same bundle is 230$ Dollars,
    But Nintendo set price in States, whereas new laws in europe mean they cant RRP, anyways europe will always be a good bit more expensive for many reasons like higher wages etc than US, but thats no excuse to start base price at 320e like some retailers are doing.

Anyways guess my point is nintendo dont set Prices here, its greedy retailers.
    And on More positive Note, cant wait for Wii U, going to be great little console,
    I still have ton yet to get thru on Wii's Library, not mind Launch day titles.
    Will library buys from wii transfer over to wii u?? And if so how will that work?

Will library buys from wii transfer over to wii u?? And if so how will that work?
    Wiiware and Virtual Console purchases can be transfered over. Both consoles have to be connected to the same network at the same time and both have to have SD cards inserted.

Hey yup can transfer over any games bought on the Wii Shop,
    Same as 3DS to 3DS Xl transfer though,
    Need both machines to do it.
    Pity though you cannot play Wii Shop games on WiiPad Screen itself.
    Would be perfect for replaying retro Stuff.

Wiiware and Virtual Console purchases can be transfered over. Both consoles have to be connected to the same network at the same time and both have to have SD cards inserted.

Why do they both have to have SD cards in? This I don't get

hdowney wrote: »
    Why do they both have to have SD cards in? This I don't get

For expandable storage, but I don't know why for the WiiU as it supports USB storage upto 3TB apparently.

Edit: The process is probably the same as the 3DS so the SD card port would need to have been actvated like you had to with the Wii before you can port yhe data over.

I'm gonna order off amazon, get it delivered to the north :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Xtra Vision (well my local anyway) doesn't have a bleedin clue. Was in there getting something earlier (The Ratchet and Clank trilogy for the PS3 for the nosey people!) and I asked her about it. She didn't even know the fupping release date ffs. Xtra Vision have gone down the bloody swanny. My local one is half full with CARDS now ffs
    Dont get your hopes up. My local xtra vision couldnt give me any details of the 3ds the evening before it came out. Incidentally, it is also full of cards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I was in gamestop today and pre-ordered. The girl told me 23rd of December for delivery..

She basically Gave me info thats totally against everything I've heard..

I'm gonna go back and ask the other girl during the week, she seems to know more.

I hope I get it in time for xmas. It's my bfs present!

• Advertisement

I was in gamestop today and pre-ordered. The girl told me 23rd of December for delivery..

I'm gonna go back and ask the other girl during the week, she seems to know more.

lol?
    It's out November 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm thinking I'll rock over to HMV some day this week to get my pre-order on!
    ZombiU package a-go-go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

As above said, my reasoning for pre-odering with Amazon (even though I will A, pay slightly more than if I got it here, and B, it won't come on release day)

Might come before release day. Never preorder myself, but I understand they usually ship stuff a little early to make sure customers get it by the day of release.
    The games seem quite steep in price don't they (compared to brand new Wii games and the like) they seem to match PS3 games. I hope they be worth the money

Arkham City with tacked-on touchscreen controls seems even more pointless now that it can be picked up for 20euro or less on Xbox/PS3/PC versus full-price Wii U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Its probably too early, but any news on a midnight launch? This will have a significant impact on my decision on where to get it.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Its probably too early, but any news on a midnight launch? This will have a significant impact on my decision on where to get it.

Game on Dawson street are having a midnight launch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really don't understand why this is
    http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/18/wii-u-struggles-to-build-buzz-against-the-iphone-5/

I also remember reading a comment about the price of the Wii U somewhere and they said something like "How can Nintendo expect people to buy a console at that price that only has as much memory as my phone?"
    I remember thinking how can that person afford to buy a much more expensive phone and justify complaining about the Wii U?

• Advertisement

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/18/wii-u-struggles-to-build-buzz-against-the-iphone-5/

I also remember reading a comment about the price of the Wii U somewhere and they said something like "How can Nintendo expect people to buy a console at that price that only has as much memory as my phone?"
    I remember thinking how can that person afford to buy a much more expensive phone and justify complaining about the Wii U?

Have an iPhone 4s I'll be getting 5 ASAP, have an iPad 3, have a 360 mw3 console I'll be getting wii u either way point is money is only money if u want something get it and ignore the haters

It's from gamingindustry.biz
    They have an axe to grind with Nintendo for some reason.
    Every article they've written about the Wii U has been negative, and every negative story you're read about the Wii U in the past year has been written by them originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

lol?
    It's out November 30th.

Yeah... I know...

As I said I'll ask the other girl.. I work near them so it's handy to be able to drop in and nab it. And I plan on having it paid off nearly by the time I go collect it!

Game on Dawson street are having a midnight launch!

Game on Dawson street are closed ;)

Game on Dawson street are closed ;)

Your not the quickest at spotting sarcasm or trolling? Obviously we all know game are closed duh ;)

• Advertisement

For expandable storage, but I don't know why for the WiiU as it supports USB storage upto 3TB apparently.

Edit: The process is probably the same as the 3DS so the SD card port would need to have been actvated like you had to with the Wii before you can port yhe data over.

I am completely lost (mainly cos I don't yet have my 3DS :()
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Dont get your hopes up. My local xtra vision couldnt give me any details of the 3ds the evening before it came out. Incidentally, it is also full of cards now.

FCK That. That is a joke. Pretty much Xtra Vision are a joke these days, spech if they all seem to be card stores now!!
    Kinski wrote: »
    Might come before release day. Never preorder myself, but I understand they usually ship stuff a little early to make sure customers get it by the day of release.

Arkham City with tacked-on touchscreen controls seems even more pointless now that it can be picked up for 20euro or less on Xbox/PS3/PC versus full-price Wii U.

Good job I have a PS3 then so :) Cheap Arkham for meeeee

GameStop just put their finalised prices up online and they are the exact same as Smyths €320, €380 and €420 for the basic, premium and ZombiU packs respectively.

It appears that if you want to get one cheaper than that you will need to order in HMV before they sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kinski wrote: »

Isn't it the newly released Game of the Year edition with touchscreen controls?
    To be honest, I'd be tempted to buy it again. I don't have the Harley's Revenge dlc and one of the things that I was thinking while playing it on PS3 was how good it would be to be able to play without having to constantly pause to look at the map. Think I'd be more likely to finish all the side missions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i want to order it at home in cork not where im living in galway as i think i will be in cork the day of launch and want it the day of launch but i wont be in cork til the earliest of saturday week to pre order in HMV as it is the cheapest i hope they still have enough zombiu editions packs by then

magnumbud wrote: »
    i want to order it at home in cork not where im living in galway as i think i will be in cork the day of launch and want it the day of launch but i wont be in cork til the earliest of saturday week to pre order in HMV as it is the cheapest i hope they still have enough zombiu editions packs by then

Preorder in cork and Galway ten in GameStop to preorder and at least your guaranteed to get one in either county

where i will be is not the problem really i will be in cork on launch day as i have to be but i wont be in cork to preorder until at earliest saturday week. my worry is that it is booked out in HMV before i then and then i will have to pay more to get it somewhere else. anyone know the irish prices for argos?

magnumbud wrote: »
    where i will be is not the problem really i will be in cork on launch day as i have to be but i wont be in cork to preorder until at earliest saturday week. my worry is that it is booked out in HMV before i then and then i will have to pay more to get it somewhere else. anyone know the irish prices for argos?

If u preorder in cork in two weeks you should be fine I reckon.

Can anyone see the panic with the wii u for Christmas? If it goes nuts and nobody can get one Is that really possible now after Nintendo learning from wii launch..

I remember a guy I know paying 700 euro for a USED wii and stories of people paying more as well !!!

Soooooo excited now might even trade my 3ds xl to fund extra games for the wii u!!! Well actually maybe not :)!

If u preorder in cork in two weeks you should be fine I reckon.

Can anyone see the panic with the wii u for Christmas? If it goes nuts and nobody can get one Is that really possible now after Nintendo learning from wii launch..

I remember a guy I know paying 700 euro for a USED wii and stories of people paying more as well !!!

Soooooo excited now might even trade my 3ds xl to fund extra games for the wii u!!! Well actually maybe not :)!
    ya hopefully i will be. i dont know if it will be the same as the wii but i dont wanna take any risks. i know the games i want at launch im gonna get the zombiu pack still unsure if nintendo land comes with it too or is zombiu instead of it but would get nintendo land by xmas if not as i think that would be fun to play with the family and show off the new console on xmas day. im unsure if i will get mass effect 3 on it or not as i have played and completed the other two on the xbox and want my choices but dont know. beyond that i will wait for reviews to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

€420 for the Zombie U pack from Gamestop seems a bit expensive. I'd probably have to test it out before I make a definite decision as to whether or not I'd buy it at launch.

That_Guy wrote: »
    €420 for the Zombie U pack from Gamestop seems a bit expensive. I'd probably have to test it out before I make a definite decision as to whether or not I'd buy it at launch.

just seen the zombiu pack does not have nintendo land. as far as the pack cost goes i think the pro controllers cost 50 so you get a 10 off it if you get zombieu instead of nintendoland with it. thats what it comes done to if you assume both games cost the same

• Advertisement
Advertisement