Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

magnumbud wrote: »
    just seen the zombiu pack does not have nintendo land. as far as the pack cost goes i think the pro controllers cost 50 so you get a 10 off it if you get zombieu instead of nintendoland with it. thats what it comes done to if you assume both games cost the same

I think both games do cost the same. Thanks for pointing out it is only a 10r off the Pro Controller if you buy it with the ZombieU pack. That helps settle my mind that I made the right choice with the Premium Pack. I would have liked a pack that contained the Pro Controller, but I don't think I want ZombieU, and the fact that the ZombieU pack DOESN'T come with NintendoLand I'd have the Pro Controller and no game. So if the Pro is only 50 squids on it's own then I'll just buy that at some time after launch when I buy a game that requires it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If u preorder in cork in two weeks you should be fine I reckon.

Can anyone see the panic with the wii u for Christmas? If it goes nuts and nobody can get one Is that really possible now after Nintendo learning from wii launch..

I remember a guy I know paying 700 euro for a USED wii and stories of people paying more as well !!!

Soooooo excited now might even trade my 3ds xl to fund extra games for the wii u!!! Well actually maybe not :)!

There wont be anywhere near the demand for the Wii U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

FutureGuy wrote: »

Dunno maybe not but if the kids demand wii u Santa must supply

Don't think I'll be getting the zombie u pack nintendoland looks cool though ;)

Dunno maybe not but if the kids demand wii u Santa must supply

Don't think I'll be getting the zombie u pack nintendoland looks cool though ;)

See I think, once the younger generations become aware of the Wii U (which I think they will closer to launch, once it is advertised on telly and the likes) they will clamour to get it for Christmas, and that could cause stock problems. I don't want to find I can't get one cos all the snotty nosed little brats decided THIS was what they HAD TO HAVE for Christmas, even though most of them will end up playing it twice :P

My advice is pre order 2 / 3 and if **** hits the fan stock wise you can make a nice profit on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

FutureGuy wrote: »

I agree.
    What there might be however, is limited supply in the first month in order to get people to think it's the next big thing.
    Mainly in America, but it could happen here too.
    Hipsters love buying things that sell out.

As for buying a zombiu bundle, I wouldn't. I'd get the regular premium set and zombi u separately.
    It just seems a lot to pay for less to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

/\/ollog wrote: »
    As for buying a zombiu bundle, I wouldn't. I'd get the regular premium set and zombi u separately.
    It just seems a lot to pay for less to me.
    but your not getting less infact all your doing is buying zombiu and a pro controller for 420 instead of nintendoland for 380 you are actually saving on a procontroller. ok if you dont want a pro controller you are saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Isn't it the newly released Game of the Year edition with touchscreen controls?
    To be honest, I'd be tempted to buy it again. I don't have the Harley's Revenge dlc and one of the things that I was thinking while playing it on PS3 was how good it would be to be able to play without having to constantly pause to look at the map. Think I'd be more likely to finish all the side missions

True, seems a lot to fork out (at full-price anyhow) though. Anything I've read from people who've seen it/played it suggests that the touchscreen controls don't really add much.

One of the reasons why I think not going with a capacitative touchscreen is a mistake is that shoe-horning in touchscreen mini-games will break up the flow if you have to whip out the stylus, just like pausing to consult a map screen does in many games. For example, if the radio-tuning and call-tracing mini-games in this are now controlled via touchscreen, it would have been better if you could do that with your finger.

Kinski wrote: »
    it would have been better if you could do that with your finger.

You can.
    but your not getting less infact all your doing is buying zombiu and a pro controller for 420 instead of nintendoland for 380 you are actually saving on a procontroller. ok if you dont want a pro controller you are saving.
    Saving 2-6 euro.
    http://www.zavvi.com/10616853.html
    http://www.zavvi.com/10639068.html
    http://www.zavvi.com/10631200.html
    And they're probably cheaper at other places.
    If your only choice is gamestop or smyths for all your games and consoles, then yeah you'll save what? 15 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

You can.

Pfft...they SUCK at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Think i'm looking at getting the basic one, just cos i want it in white. Probably just get nintndoland and zombieu on top of that. This aint gonna be cheap.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Think i'm looking at getting the basic one, just cos i want it in white. Probably just get nintndoland and zombieu on top of that. This aint gonna be cheap.

your probably gonna end up paying near to the cost of the zombieu pack

your probably gonna end up paying near to the cost of the zombieu pack

Yeah, but then i'd have to pay for nintendoland anyway. I assume the sensor bar for the wii will do the same job as the one in the premium packs? And im working on the assumption that i wont NEED the pro controller for either of those games, would that be right?

Yeah, but then i'd have to pay for nintendoland anyway. I assume the sensor bar for the wii will do the same job as the one in the premium packs? And im working on the assumption that i wont NEED the pro controller for either of those games, would that be right?

True on both accounts.
    I'm only getting the premium version because it's black.
    The extra space and the three plastic cradles I'll probably never use don't matter to me.

True on both accounts.
    I'm only getting the premium version because it's black.
    The extra space and the three plastic cradles I'll probably never use don't matter to me.

Cool, thanks. Now i will also assume there'll be a midnight launch in gamestop henry st. Alright, decision made. I'll book it tomorrow. Im getting pretty excited about this now.

• Advertisement

I'm getting the premium black with nintendoland then buying mario wii u and ray an legends on top of that so bout 500 notes :( damn you nintendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

I'm getting the premium black with nintendoland then buying mario wii u and ray an legends on top of that so bout 500 notes :( damn you nintendo

its not like they are forcing you to buy it? :pac:

Anyway, I won't get the WiiU until the next zelda game comes out. The current lineup simply does not interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Lads, couple of questions

How can I pre-order the wii u, can you just walk into smyths or is there an online site that will deliver (i.e. Amazon)

I've read that the Wii U is backwards compatible with the previous released wii games is this 100% verified. Presume there would be a big improvement in game play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wii games won't be upscaled to HD if that's what your asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Thats fair enough, but I noticed some of the games like MW3 are a bit shakey and laggy with the improved hardware that at least should be sorted.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Thats fair enough, but I noticed some of the games like MW3 are a bit shakey and laggy with the improved hardware that at least should be sorted.

the processor and disc drive are faster so this could be the case. wont make the game look better but should get rid of lag caused by slower processors etc.

That is what I am getting - but I am gonna try to get the games as Christmas presents off people, save myself a few notes like!

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Lads, couple of questions

How can I pre-order the wii u, can you just walk into smyths or is there an online site that will deliver (i.e. Amazon)

I've read that the Wii U is backwards compatible with the previous released wii games is this 100% verified. Presume there would be a big improvement in game play.

You can pre-order it anywhere you can buy videogames, usually.

Wii games will be emulated, and be run in "Wii mode". There will be no improvements.

Think I might start wii games if I see them at attractive prices for this. For launch I'l probably be after.... zombie U and mario bros. Maybe pick up one of the third party games if I have any spare cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Zombiu version pre-ordered now! Excitement a-go-go!

Anyone know what's in the nuntendoland game?? Am I right in saying its a max of different games?

ZombiU is a third party game, it's an Ubisoft game.
    Anyone know what's in the nuntendoland game?? Am I right in saying its a mix of different games?

There's 12 minigames.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/09/14/the-12-attractions-of-nintendo-land-revisited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

the processor and disc drive are faster so this could be the case. wont make the game look better but should get rid of lag caused by slower processors etc.

Amazingly I was reading a developer commenting on the processor doesn't even match the 360 and PS3. It's ahead in GPU and RAM - which you'd hope given the age of the other machines.

A chat about the power of the Wii U with the developer of a Wii U launch title

Dynasty Warriors chief reveals impact of weaker CPU.

We know the Wii U's IBM-made CPU, made up of three Power PC cores, is one of its weaknesses, at least compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. But how will this impact the performance of Wii U games?

At the Tokyo Game Show earlier today Eurogamer spoke with the developer of one of the biggest Wii U launch games, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, to find out.

The playable version of the game on the Tokyo Game Show floor is not up to the performance levels of past Dynasty Warriors games in terms of frame rate and number of enemies on screen, and is shown up considerably by Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, the PS3 exclusive also playable on publisher Tecmo Koei's stand.

Akihiro Suzuki, producer of the Dynasty Warriors franchise, admitted this was the case when quizzed by Eurogamer, and pointed to the Wii U's CPU by way of explanation.

"One of the weaknesses of the Wii U compared to PS3 and Xbox 360 is the CPU power is a little bit less," he said. "So for games in the Warriors series, including Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi, when you have a lot of enemies coming at you at once, the performance tends to be affected because of the CPU.

"Dealing with that is a challenge."

The exact specifications of the CPU, including clock speed, remain undisclosed for now, but developers, including those Eurogamer spoke to for an investigation into the power of the Wii U, have confirmed it's slower than the CPU inside both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

But one of its strengths is said to be its custom AMD 7 series GPU, and the 1GB of RAM available to games: double that of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

This, Suzuki said, means the Orochi development team had the opportunity to create visuals better than those possible on PS3 and Xbox 360.

"Developing on new hardware in itself was a challenge, and also making that launch date was a challenge," he said. "But from a visual standpoint, based on the performance of the Wii U, we knew the game had the capability of having much better graphics than games on PS3 and Xbox 360. Make no mistake, from a visual standpoint, it is able to produce better graphics. So our challenge was to make a higher quality graphics. We were able to meet that."

Suzuki vowed that the performance of the game will be improved before release. He better get his skates on: Warriors Orochi 3 launches alongside the Wii U on 30th November.

"While the visuals are great, as is being able to improve them, we had to deal with the lower CPU power and how we can get around that issue," he said.

"Actually, we're still working on that. If you see the demo on the show floor and you try it, you'll probably feel it's not up to the PS3 level. But we're working on it!"

As part of Eurogamer's investigation into the power of the Wii U, Digital Foundry boss Richard Leadbetter expressed concern about the Nintendo console. "It'll be interesting to see how future Face-Offs work out," he pondered. "I expect that GPU focused games will benefit from smoother frame-rates and lower levels of screen-tear, but cross-platform titles highly dependent on CPU power could end up noticeably worse off."

According to Suzuki, the main issue is that developers are still wrapping their head around the CPU, and so are yet to work out how best to use it.

"For the PS3 it has multiple CPUs and an SPU, so you can calculate the various motions of the characters on the CPU so overall it runs smoothly," Suzuki explained. "The Xbox 360 CPUs are formulated so they can spread out the processing power so things run efficiently.

"With the Wii U being new hardware, we're still getting used to developing for it, so there are still a lot of things we don't know yet to bring out the most of the processing power. There's a lot that still needs to be explored in that area."

I think Nintendo has proven processing power isn't everything :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    I think Nintendo has proven processing power isn't everything :pac:
    It's important to games where AI is important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

santa preordered premium bundle in HMV today.
    A bit weird though that people working there didn't know what the bundles would be, or how much - they said the prices haven't been decided yet... hope it doesn't turn out more expensive than other places:(

Ordered same as damo el diablo ZOMBI U YESSSSSSSSS

ZOMBI u pack is great value at 420 tbh.

Just wanna point out ordering from hmv could be dangerous if nobody I store knows prices yet at lrast in GameStop u know exactly how much you have to pay!! Plus GameStop in general have fantastic customer service.

So I'll be getting ZOMBI u wii u pack plus rayman legends and nsmb wii u :D SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO excited ;)

Manager in GameStop newbridge played wii u yesterday and said ZOMBI u is absolutely first class!!!

hdowney wrote: »

The truth or marketing genius by ninty????

The truth or marketing genius by ninty????

And that is the question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

My good wife pre ordered the premium wii u for me yesterday in HMV limerick they said €350 and all she had to put down was €10 deposit. for me games to get are zombie u and COD black ops 2, mass effect 3. the last 2 mainly because they support off tv play and this is the main reason for getting this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pre ordered the Premium pack in HMV Cork yesterday and was told it'll be €349.99, and had to put €15 deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just wanna point out ordering from hmv could be dangerous if nobody I store knows prices yet at lrast in GameStop u know exactly how much you have to pay!! Plus GameStop in general have fantastic customer service.

So I'll be getting ZOMBI u wii u pack plus rayman legends and nsmb wii u :D SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO excited ;)

Gamestop are and will always be eternally little bit dearer in my dealings with them. Also Gamestop, again in my experience, have a pretty shoddy customer service especially when it comes to bringing back things that have a problem.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Gamestop are and will always be eternally little bit dearer in my dealings with them. Also Gamestop, again in my experience, have a pretty shoddy customer service especially when it comes to bringing back things that have a problem.
    Anytime I have a problem the store staff in 2 of there stores I use sort me out absolutely no problems, do you have any idea why they wouldn't take care of you as a customer?

Think of it this way u lose a receipt but item was faulty I had manager in Newbridge search store history for few months to dig my receipt out. Now that is customer service.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's also €40 more than it is in HMV. The guy I was talking to didn't know the price, and thought that there were only two bundles available, so when he handed me my receipt without asking which bundle I wanted, I said this to him.
    When I told him that there should be three bundles, the basic, premium and ZombiU bundle, he went back to their ordering system and found it alright, and confirmed that it's in there for €380, and the Premium is listed for €350.
    So got him to change mine to the ZombiU one :D

Corholio wrote: »
    Anytime I have a problem the store staff in 2 of there stores I use sort me out absolutely no problems, do you have any idea why they wouldn't take care of you as a customer?

Think of it this way u lose a receipt but item was faulty I had manager in Newbridge search store history for few months to dig my receipt out. Now that is customer service.....

In my experience they vary from excellent to rubbish. But on the whole i'll give them thumbs up for the fella that told me about the super cheap bioshock 2 special edition that no one seemed to know about.

Would love it if someone could tell me about wii u midnight launch, so i could place my shaggin pre order, though.

It's also €40 more than it is in HMV. The guy I was talking to didn't know the price, and thought that there were only two bundles available, so when he handed me my receipt without asking which bundle I wanted, I said this to him.
    When I told him that there should be three bundles, the basic, premium and ZombiU bundle, he went back to their ordering system and found it alright, and confirmed that it's in there for €380, and the Premium is listed for €350.
    So got him to change mine to the ZombiU one :D

Yeah, it's weird, there were lots of signs up for preorders, but nothing about pricing or bundles. I remember this happening with wii too. Would have thought the only new console out this christmas would deserve more attention.

Save me a trip on Monday, what's their final prices?

Guy said
    320 basic
    379premium
    420 zombi u premium

Gotta say the zombi u is the best deal to be honest, nintendoland, zombi u and the extra controller. So for zombi u and the extra controller it's an extra 40 on the premium which is fantastic to be honest!

I'm going with GameStop either way for one reason for plain fact I said if I'm gonna spend 500 odd I'm not keeping my 3dsxl as too many consolesu etc so manager in HMv says we will give you the best price for the 3dsxl and he said 75 cash or 90 store credit :D GameStop offered 160 odd trade in plus my games were getting much better trade in value so hmm MAY be cheaper that can't be seen yet but their trades etc are disgraceful now since game went bang, also HMV pushing new releases from 40-45 to 50-55 since game left. Terrible form to be honest and I preordered fifa13 in hmm yesterday and girl says ok 5 euro I said that's grand and just got a receipt and I'm terrible with receipts etc so I said I'll prob lose this is my order is on system and she said no lose it and you lose the 5 euro that's terrible to be honest GameStop have everything saved on system so no matter what they will find your history and orders etc and their customer service re certain situations is first class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Guy said
    320 basic
    379premium
    420 zombi u premium

Gotta say the zombi u is the best deal to be honest, nintendoland, zombi u and the extra controller. So for zombi u and the extra controller it's an extra 40 on the premium which is fantastic to be honest!
    Nintendoland isn't included in the zombiiu pack. It just has zombiiu and the pro controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Guy said
    320 basic
    379premium
    420 zombi u premium

Zombi u premium doesn't have Nintendoland.

smokingman wrote: »
    Nintendoland isn't included in the zombiiu pack. It just has zombiiu and the pro controller.

Google the pack, it's included and manager in GameStop was at a demo etc hands on with consoles and packs and said 100% sure nintendoland is included sue what would be the point in higher pack if it wasnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Google the pack, it's included and manager in GameStop was at a demo etc hands on with consoles and packs and said 100% sure nintendoland is included sue what would be the point in higher pack if it wasnt

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/42003/zombiu-wii-u-premium-pack-doesnt-include-nintendo-land/

Nintendo have confirmed that Zombiu replaces Nintendoland. The higher price is because of the Pro Controller.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/42003/zombiu-wii-u-premium-pack-doesnt-include-nintendo-land/

Nintendo have confirmed that Zombiu replaces Nintendoland. The higher price is because of the Pro Controller.

Well then I have been hugely misinformed by that manager. But I googled it the other day and few sites said nuntendoland was included in zombiu pack

• Advertisement
Advertisement