Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Deano7788 wrote: »

i think you mean Q1 still not great but id imagine out january but are covering themselves by saying first 3 months so that if it goes back to feb or even march they can say well we said first 3 months. disappointed but gives me time to get through other games first and then get this early 2013 :D

magnumbud wrote: »
    i think you mean Q1 still not great but id imagine out january but are covering themselves by saying first 3 months so that if it goes back to feb or even march they can say well we said first 3 months. disappointed but gives me time to get through other games first and then get this early 2013 :D

Yeah, sorry, changed it there, had 1st 3 months of 2013 in my head at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That's me getting Nintendo Land instead of Rayman Legends at launch then!

Think my line-up will be:
    ZombiU bundle
    Nintendo Land
    AC 3
    And probably Just Dance 4 at some stage as the gf wants to get me shakin' my ass. ¬_¬

I'm getting the Zombiu bundle and then Nintendoland and Mario as well. I'm going to get AC3 on xbox since it's what I played the rest of the games on and I don't know if the gamepad will add much. There's also the chance shops will charge more for the Wii-U version because of it being a new console (Amazon are charging £10 more at the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

ZombiU bundle
    Nintendo Land
    AC 3
    And probably Just Dance 4 at some stage as I want to see the gf shakin her ass ¬_¬

Fixed for ya! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I'm currently:

Premium System w/ Nintendo Land.
    Definitely: New Super Mario Bros
    Maybe: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Lego City, Call Of Duty, Epic Mickey 2.

Think i'm picking up pretty much everything announced for the eShop so far :pac: great lineup there...

should be getting:
    Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules)
    Cloudberry Kingdom (Pwnee Studios)
    Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
    Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games)
    Star Beast (Pixel Entertainment)
    The Cave (SEGA) (Announced)
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte)

Maybes on the following: (all because they'll have 3DS versions as well and i might pick up that one instead if i end up interested....already have Mighty Switch)
    Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes (Nicalis)
    Mighty Switch Force HD (WayForward Technologies)
    Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Renegade Kid)
    Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia)

my poor wallet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If anyone knows of a store still taking orders for the WiiU in North Leinster or Dublin could you please pm me, thanks. I cant find any in Naas and have been told they are sold out.

I have it preordered in smyths naas and won't be using it as getting it in GameStop instead you are more than welcome to have my preorder if you want it??

ZombiU bundle
    Nintendo Land
    AC 3
    And probably Just Dance 4 at some stage as the gf wants to get me shakin' my ass. ¬_¬

Pic or vids of GF or GTFO ;)

Sorry couldn't help saying it :D

On another note I'm gonna let my 3 year old play this till he is physically sick lol ill video it and put it up for shots and giggles :D

I'm currently:

Premium System w/ Nintendo Land.
    Definitely: New Super Mario Bros
    Maybe: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Lego City, Call Of Duty, Epic Mickey 2.

Think i'm picking up pretty much everything announced for the eShop so far :pac: great lineup there...

should be getting:
    Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules)
    Cloudberry Kingdom (Pwnee Studios)
    Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
    Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games)
    Star Beast (Pixel Entertainment)
    The Cave (SEGA) (Announced)
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte)

Maybes on the following: (all because they'll have 3DS versions as well and i might pick up that one instead if i end up interested....already have Mighty Switch)
    Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes (Nicalis)
    Mighty Switch Force HD (WayForward Technologies)
    Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Renegade Kid)
    Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia)

my poor wallet :pac:
    How much are games from wiiu store??

Is it a points system or cash payment via a card??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

I have it preordered in smyths naas and won't be using it as getting it in GameStop instead you are more than welcome to have my preorder if you want it??

PM sent

How much are games from wiiu store??

Is it a points system or cash payment via a card??

Gonna be cash based like the 3DS one i believe! :)
    Depends on the title, nothing announced yet - but i'd say most of the above would be the 10-15 euro range :)

Gonna be cash based like the 3DS one i believe! :)
    Depends on the title, nothing announced yet - but i'd say most of the above would be the 10-15 euro range :)

Jesus 10-15 that's expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same as PS3/360. Nothing new there.

Now 10-15 for Virtual Console games? That's a whole other debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone know how pre orders are going? I mean, are they likely to be taken up by now?

While im at it, any word on midnight launch anywhere?

Thanks

Mr E wrote: »
    Same as PS3/360. Nothing new there.

Now 10-15 for Virtual Console games? That's a whole other debate.

Yeah same as the others. Obviously some titles will be cheaper.

I'd pay 15 for Gamecube games if they had them to the Virtual Console, maybeeeee 20 at a stretch for some (the likes of the wind waker of course :P)

Traded my 3dsxl into GameStop and got 200 towards the wii u for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Not sure if this has been posted already,but here is a slight insight to the build of the Wii U.....It's a session of Iwata Asks.
    To be honest they didn't really give too much detail away.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Hi Guys would anyone know if it's still €380 for ZombiU bundle in HMV? That's a really good offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Hi Guys would anyone know if it's still €380 for ZombiU bundle in HMV? That's a really good offer.

Hey I was in HMV Cork During week and now have it official display stand with 380e. Also Basic Wii U 289e. Thats best Ive seen and I think 350e for middle bundle.

Looking good so far. I put together a bit on my recent time with Wii U
    I went over to Eurogamer Expo 2 weeks ago and spent two days playing the Wii U.
    Wii U did absolutely not disappoint even with my high Expectations.

Star of the Show was between Rayman and NintendoLand.
    Rayman was great fun assisting on the GamePad while someone else control rayman with ProController
    And didn’t feel like ‘assisting’, actually felt like I had cooler of the 2 jobs to get us thru whole level.

NintendoLand had 5 demos, Zelda was so so for me, Ninja Stars was fun but nothing to write home about.
    BUT Luigi’s Mansion was best craic ive had in multiplaying in a long time, both for wiimote and gamepad players,
    Also a similar game where collect fruit and gamepad person controls two guys to chase ye down, that was equally as fun.
    And then there was DonkeyKong, holy crap, its unforgiving but addictive as hell.

Also tried Pikmin 3, darksiders, tekken, Panarama, Trine and Mario bros, none stood out,
    Mario just needs to be brought home didn’t suit the environment at Games Con, neither did ZombieU,
    ZombiU Im most excited about but on show floor, had no sound, dark scenes made hard to hear zombies come up from behind and killu.
    It will be good but looking forward to launch day to tell how good it will be.

And still theres Fifa 13, CoD, AC3 and such to come at launch. MiiVerse, TVii
    And Nintendo so far have really given Zero 1st party Support in my opinion but that’s fine, that’s what 2013 is far, im fine with that.

Lastly The Best part of Wii U, THE GAMEPAD,
    I might be Tendo Fanboy but Nintendo do cheap out somethings,
    But not on the Pad, the screens is perfect, really bright, colors great,
    Brilliant viewer angles and everything looked HD, Rayman, Mario etc all looked unreal.

Release day cant come soon enough :)

IMG_20120927_133121.jpgIMG_20120927_132039.jpgIMG_20120927_140918.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Thanks for your reply, I was also at eurogamer and played super mario U and ZombiU which I queued 2 hours for it was mental! Did not disappoint though. I only went to eurogamer 1 day but will be going 2 days next year for sure as I didn't get to play everything I wanted! I will head down to HMV cork tomorrow and preorder! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Can't see myself shelling 400 euro for a new Mario game. Besides ZombiU, I have played every other game already.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Im wondering if somebody can help me. Im thinking about buying this for the kids for xmas and wanted to know if games can be played on the handheld without the console turned on? So lets say i got COD and FIFA13 could these games be played on the the two handhelds without using the actual console.

Reason being the two of the lads are never done fighting about which game goes on next.:rolleyes:

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Im wondering if somebody can help me. Im thinking about buying this for the kids for xmas and wanted to know if games can be played on the handheld without the console turned on? So lets say i got COD and FIFA13 could these games be played on the the two handhelds without using the actual console.

Reason being the two of the lads are never done fighting about which game goes on next.:rolleyes:

No, cause the controller isn't really a handheld, it just streams what the console is pumpiing out, so whatever game is in it. Also. initially it's only going to be compatible with 1 Gamepad; they're not even going to be sold separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Really? So two people cant play it:(

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Really? So two people cant play it:(

They can, it's compatible with Wii Remotes and there's also a Pro Controller being brought out that looks like an Xbox controller. Only 1 person can use the Gamepad though. It's called asymmetrical gameplay. If you look up videos of Nintendoland you'd be able to see how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Bet the console owner is going to end up playing on the gamepad in most multiplayer sessions; given the cost of the thing and the built-in screen, who is going to trust their mate Smudgy McButterfingers with it when he calls round for a session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Does anyone know if nintendo land will be playable with the pro controller or the classic controller rather than the wiimote and Nunchuck or are games like mario chase made so that the extra players have to use the wiimote?

Anyone else disappointed with laziness on nuntendos part with regards to product name and design??

I mean to add u on to name of current console is just boring and the wii u looks the exact same as the wii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Tayla wrote: »
    Does anyone know if nintendo land will be playable with the pro controller or the classic controller rather than the wiimote and Nunchuck or are games like mario chase made so that the extra players have to use the wiimote?

The WiiU can use up to 4 controllers - any 4 controllers. A max of 2 gamepads can be used.

Anyone else disappointed with laziness on nuntendos part with regards to product name and design??

I mean to add u on to name of current console is just boring and the wii u looks the exact same as the wii.

XBOX 360
    Playstation 3
    Wii U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FutureGuy wrote: »
    XBOX 360
    Playstation 3
    Wii U

Hard to argue with that :D

Heavily thinking about pre-ordering the Zombi U pack...where would I get the best deal?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Heavily thinking about pre-ordering the Zombi U pack...where would I get the best deal?

Seems to be HMV, €380 for the Zombi U bundle.
    I've got mine pre-ordered there!

Seems to be HMV, €380 for the Zombi U bundle.
    I've got mine pre-ordered there!

How much are they looking for for a pre-order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

EnterNow wrote: »

How much are they looking for for a pre-order?

They are looking for a €10 deposit. If you can't get the ZombiiU pack order the standard premium pack in HMV for €350 and buy the game seperately as everywhere evlse is charging €420 for the pack.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    XBOX 360
    Playstation 3
    Wii U

I didn't say anything bout Microsoft or Sony!!????

I expect more from Nintendo it's just lazy and I'm right!!!

Also the wii u looks exact same as wii while Microsoft and sonys consoles changed dramatically IMO.

So while you being clever you didn't read my post??

Rang gamestop head office to discuss their pricing for wii u!! They basically told me they won't price match hmv!! And I was told I can get my deposit back in store... I mean talk about them telling me to go and jump LOL the cheek of them

Also the wii u looks exact same as wii while Microsoft and sonys consoles changed dramatically IMO.

I read your post thoroughly and I was not trying to be clever. It's not Nintendo being lazy, it's Nintendo being smart. When you say Playstation, people know it's Sony. Likewise with Xbox and Microsoft.

Wii is now a household name and an instantly recognisable brand. It would be madness to throw away the most recognizable Nintendo product name since "Gameboy".

Guaranteed the Xbox360 successor will keep the name XBOX, and no prizes for guessing the name of the upcoming Sony machine.

As for the look of the machine, again, it looks familiar to everyone that bought a Wii, especially all those people who started gaming thanks to that console.

I have been very anti-Nintendo in terms of their recent strategies, but IMO the name and the look of the Wii U are complete nobrainers.

To address the text in bold, you could not be more wrong. You think a billion dollar company would be "lazy" with regards *any* aspect of a console launch?

Ok I preordered the Zombii U pack in HMV. €380, I dropped €100 on it so the sting in a few weeks won't be so bad. It's gonna be a Father Xmas thing for my son so no gamey game time till Jesus Day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im im nearly sure im going for the nintendoland pack and mario bros game. Would I be right in saying im looking at around 430 - 440 euro from HMV?

Im im nearly sure im going for the nintendoland pack and mario bros game. Would I be right in saying im looking at around 430 - 440 euro from HMV?

€350 for the Wii U Pro bundle, and €50/60 for the New Super Mario Bros. U game I'd say, so just slightly under what you guessed.

Yes, because the PS3 controller is a radical redign of the PS2 controller. Remember what happened when the original PS3 contoller was shown to the world?

ps3controller.jpg

After all the lols died down, Sony made the smart decision to simply upgrade the PS2 controller. I expect a similar move from Microsoft and the Wii U will be using all the Wii controllers. Also, there isn't a massive difference visually between XBOX/PS2 and XBOX 360/PS3.

Todays average games like familiarity. As with my post above regarding console names, it's Nintendo reacting to something that competitors doing right.

The days of crazy-looking consoles are gone (purple GC ftw). When looking at upgrading their console, the average gamer wants familiar controls and a machine that is either black or white and fits into the color scheme of their home entertainment system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Tayla wrote: »
    all the games they've shown have used 1 upad and 4 wiimotes.
    I don't think any other controllers will work.
    Whenever a rep's been asked, they've dodged the question by re-iterating wiimote's in some way, without saying no to any other control methods.

Anyone know if some of the launch games will support stereoscopic 3D on the Wii U...... i.e.AC3 and LG 3DTV partnership with Black Ops 2 prompted the announcement that the game would have 3D support
    again,on Xbox,PS3 and PC.But I've searched everywhere and found no answer if it will be available on the Wii U.
    I really enjoyed the 3D effect in the original Black Ops on the PS3.The fact I'm getting the Wii U and if the games had the option for 3D,could sway me in buying some of the games for the Wii U.It's proving to be a hard answer to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Rang gamestop head office to discuss their pricing for wii u!! They basically told me they won't price match hmv!! And I was told I can get my deposit back in store... I mean talk about them telling me to go and jump LOL the cheek of them

Of course they won't, its GameStop the company that made Game look like the cheaper option. Anyway the WiiU will probably sell out in HMV leaving a lot of people to have to pay the higher prices of everywhere else, it wouldn't suprise me if GameStop sell out as well

bazzz wrote: »
    Anyone know if some of the launch games will support stereoscopic 3D on the Wii U...... i.e.AC3 and LG 3DTV partnership with Black Ops 2 prompted the announcement that the game would have 3D support
    again,on Xbox,PS3 and PC.But I've searched everywhere and found no answer if it will be available on the Wii U.
    I really enjoyed the 3D effect in the original Black Ops on the PS3.The fact I'm getting the Wii U and if the games had the option for 3D,could sway me in buying some of the games for the Wii U.It's proving to be a hard answer to find.

I'm pretty sure that as it stands, the Wii U won't support 3D gaming.

I'm pretty sure that as it stands, the Wii U won't support 3D gaming.

I guess only time will tell.I'm sure it's well capable with it's HDMI 1.4 and high res output.I'm hoping it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Very tempted to get this for the kids ;)
    So whats the best to go for?
    i fancy nintendoland and the new mario game?
    so is it better to buy the pro and mario seperate?
    Sorry , havent done much research on this.
    I bought the wii on launch day and sold it a few years later (novelty wore off)
    I currently have a vita that is close to being sold aswell :)

bazzz wrote: »
    I guess only time will tell.I'm sure it's well capable with it's HDMI 1.4 and high res output.I'm hoping it will.

It may, in time, but I doubt it. Don't forget that it essentially means rendering two images simultaneously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement