Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

As time goes on, I feel myself more and more inclined to buy this. Maybe not the Zombies yoke, but still. The thoughts of a new Mario/Mario Kart/Luigis Mansion will seal it for me!!! haha

On that note actually, is Luigis Mansion a release day game, or is it due out later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The_B_Man wrote: »
    As time goes on, I feel myself more and more inclined to buy this. Maybe not the Zombies yoke, but still. The thoughts of a new Mario/Mario Kart/Luigis Mansion will seal it for me!!! haha

On that note actually, is Luigis Mansion a release day game, or is it due out later?

Its a mini game in Nintendo Land not a new game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OH really? I could've sworn I saw somewhere that it will be a full game! Bugger.

I suppose I'll just have to settle for a new Mario Kart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

The_B_Man wrote: »
    OH really? I could've sworn I saw somewhere that it will be a full game! Bugger.

I suppose I'll just have to settle for a new Mario Kart!

It will be, on the 3ds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

/\/ollog wrote: »
    all the games they've shown have used 1 upad and 4 wiimotes.
    I don't think any other controllers will work.
    Whenever a rep's been asked, they've dodged the question by re-iterating wiimote's in some way, without saying no to any other control methods.

Ah that's a pity,
    I'm not much of a gamer but my son does like me to play games with him every so often and I can just about manage a PS3 controller but I never could get used to the Wiimote....if normal controllers could have been used for games such as Mario Chase then I probably would have picked up a couple of classic controllers to go with it so we could all play the mini games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

25h3ejt.jpg

Here's the latest info on the Wii U Gamepad from a session with Iwata Asks :Wii U Gamepad :The Wireless System Challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm pretty sure that as it stands, the Wii U won't support 3D gaming.

3D is done by the TV, Wii U will be as 3D as any other console.
    The upad does not have a 3D screen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

/\/ollog wrote: »
    3D is done by the TV, Wii U will be as 3D as any other console.
    The upad does not have a 3D screen though.

The 3d is displayed on the TV, but the TV can only display what is sent to it. The console still had to generate the images for both eyes and send that to the TV to be displayed as a 3D image.
    The grunt work of any 3D processing has to be done on the console. If it were done by the TV, then you could connect up and console and the it would work in 3D, like the Wii, N64, GameCube etc. This simply is not the case.

I'm sure the Wii U COULD support 3D, but I don't think it's something Nintendo have supported at this time. Possible that it could be supported in future I guess, via a firmware upgrade, like the PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The 3d is displayed on the TV, but the TV can only display what is sent to it. The console still had to generate the images for both eyes and send that to the TV to be displayed as a 3D image.
    The grunt work of any 3D processing has to be done on the console. If it were done by the TV, then you could connect up and console and the it would work in 3D, like the Wii, N64, GameCube etc. This simply is not the case.

I'm sure the Wii U COULD support 3D, but I don't think it's something Nintendo have supported at this time. Possible that it could be supported in future I guess, via a firmware upgrade, like the PS3

Most 3Dtvs are able to render ANY image to 3D themselves, and in quite a few cases better than native 3D(puts Sky3D to shame i.e side by side rendered 3D). So in spite of your statement you CAN play ps3, GameCube and N64 games in 3D though it would probably be pretty ugly due to the low resolution.

• Advertisement

Iwata was asked.
    He said it's possible, Nintendo probably wouldn't do it themselves, but it's 100% possible on the Wii U.
    -e3 2011

Most 3Dtvs are able to render ANY image to 3D themselves, and in quite a few cases better than native 3D(puts Sky3D to shame i.e side by side rendered 3D). So in spite of your statement you CAN play ps3, GameCube and N64 games in 3D though it would probably be pretty ugly due to the low resolution.

Those are hit and miss, and can produce pretty unexpected results, things that should be near appearing distant, reversed order etc... as the TVs cannot read the Z-buffer from the consoles to tell what is meant to be closer and what is meant to be farther away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I hope smyths gives hands on with the system so i can see how the tablet controller feels , its gonna be very interesting :D

Also i hope it be on late late toy show and see little kids go ****ing mad swiping and bashing the **** of the screen playing nintendo land or something.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I hope smyths gives hands on with the system so i can see how the tablet controller feels , its gonna be very interesting :D

Also i hope it be on late late toy show and see little kids go ****ing mad swiping and bashing the **** of the screen playing nintendo land or something.

:D

you know it will definitely be on it. the kids will thrash tubbs on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

But the Toy Show is on the 30th, I'll be too busy playing the WiiU to watch Tubbs make a tit of himself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Irish Halo wrote: »
    But the Toy Show is on the 30th, I'll be too busy playing the WiiU to watch Tubbs make a tit of himself ...

you can drop a game onto the pad and have the toy show on the tv :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Does anyone else think the Wii U seems a bit expensive and its games are a bit expensive too?
    According to the Gamestop Website the Wii U premium pack is 380 and includes: Wii U Console in Black
    32GB Memory
    Wii U GamePad in Black
    Wii U GamePad Cradle
    Wii U GamePad Stand
    Wii U Console Stand
    Wii U AC Adapter
    Wii U GamePad AC Adapter
    High Speed HDMI Cable
    Sensor Bar
    Nintendo Land Software

The basic pack is 320 and includes: Wii U Console in White
    8GB Memory
    Wii U GamePad in White
    Wii U AC Adapter
    Wii U GamePad AC Adapter
    High Speed HDMI Cable

The New super mario bros game is also listed as being €60. Does anyone else think that this seems a bit expensive or that these prices may just be for now and when the console comes out the games will be a bit cheaper?

http://www.gamestop.ie/WiiU#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i sow its price too and 380 for console alone for me is way too much.

i would like to get it, as i am gadget whore, but **** that i am paying 380eu+60eu for one game bundle...

I know at some point I will be getting one. But its very expensive to start off with. Waiting for a price drop or Pikmin 3 at least I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The New super mario bros game is also listed as being €60. Does anyone else think that this seems a bit expensive or that these prices may just be for now and when the console comes out the games will be a bit cheaper?
    Console games are always the most expensive when the consoles are new; expect the new Xbox/PS games to be in the 70 to 90 region when they release the consoles for what will be <insert genre game Xbox/PS edition>.

Nody wrote: »
    Console games are always the most expensive when the consoles are new; expect the new Xbox/PS games to be in the 70 to 90 region when they release the consoles for what will be <insert genre game Xbox/PS edition>.

I had a feeling those games were around 70 when they 1st came out but i Didnt get an xbox or ps3 till much later when the price dropped. Do you know how long it took for them to drop price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

expect thew new Xbox/PS games to be in the 70 to 90 region when they release the consoles.

They better hold off and wait until the recession is well gone and Celtic Tiger 2 is in full flow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I had a feeling those games were around 70 when they 1st came out but i Didnt get an xbox or ps3 till much later when the price dropped. Do you know how long it took for them to drop price?

It was over a year for the xbox anyway because I remember Gears of War being €70 when it came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/373611/price-hike-on-third-party-wii-u-games/

This is a good comparison actually on multi-format releases coming to the Wii-U. It compares the xbox and WiiU prices at Game, Amazon, Zavvi and Play.com. Obviously, the difference on some titles (like Mass Effect 3) can be ignored to a degree as they've been out for a while, but Assassins Creed 3 is £10 dearer on average, Black Ops 2 similar for three of the sellers and Game are charging £18 more for Epic Mickey 2 (the other sellers are closer). It wll be a similar story here, or worse.

70-90 per game? God bless being PC gamer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

70-90 per game? God bless being PC gamer...

Upgrade per year for your PC?? My mate spends roughly 250 a year upgrading graphics cards etc!!!

Xbox for 200 no upgrades?? WINNER ALRIGHT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Upgrade per year for your PC?? My mate spends roughly 250 a year upgrading graphics cards etc!!!

Xbox for 200 no upgrades?? WINNER ALRIGHT

You don't need to upgrade every year, thats madness. Besides looking at the reliability of current generation consoles, your lucky not to have to buy a new one every year too

So... I've done something I would never have expected I'd do...

I've volunteered to wait till my gf is home from her year abroad before unboxing/setting up/playing our Wii U. It's out on Nov. 30th, she's home Dec. 17th!

Yes, I'm a sap, but I just want her to share in the excitement of it with me. :o

I've volunteered to wait till my gf is home from her year abroad before unboxing/setting up/playing our Wii U. It's out on Nov. 30th, she's home Dec. 17th!

Yes, I'm a sap, but I just want her to share in the excitement of it with me. :o

Or disappointment ? :D

Or disappointment ? :D

Nah, we're both massive Nintendo fans, guaranteed we'll love it.

am i to expect this for ye too :pac:

• Advertisement

Pretty much, only I'm buying it, so the element of surprise won't be there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pre booked zombie u pack in hmv today. Shame its has to be black, but can't bleedin wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

I pre-ordered the white version from HMV.

Now I just need to find a white gamepad stand and white pro controller (ugh maybe I should of gone for the black version)

Nintendo - Ruining Polls Since The 80's

I voted "Not getting one as it stands"....now I've a €100 deposit down on one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

EnterNow wrote: »
    ....now I've a €100 deposit down on one :o

€100?! :eek: Are you sure you didn't accidentally add a 0 there? Only a €10 deposit required in HMV (at least that's what I paid a few weeks ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Ive €70 paid off mine and planning on paying a good bit more off it so I'm not living on beans in December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ordered mine today!! :D Getting the ZombieU version, counting the days.

€100?! :eek: Are you sure you didn't accidentally add a 0 there? Only a €10 deposit required in HMV (at least that's what I paid a few weeks ago).

Nope €100, sure whats the point in holding back I'll have to pay for it at some stage so may as well take the sting out of it :) Won't see it in action until Jesus Day tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm the opposite. I went with 6 months but now I'm thinking I'm not in too much of a rush since between my Wii, PS3 and PC I've about 100 games to play. But at the same time these days I'm thinking "I won't bother getting that game for PS3. I'll get the Wii U version" :)

• Advertisement

i was gonna put a deposit down myself but i may wait till my birthday next year.

im in no rush as it is right now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So, can i transfer virtual console games from my wii does anyone know?

And if so, could i play them on the control pad, if, say, xfactor was on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So, can i transfer virtual console games from my wii does anyone know?

And if so, could i play them on the control pad, if, say, xfactor was on?

Yes.

The official word is no, not at launch anyway :( For WiiWare + Virtual Console titles the WiiU system goes into "Wii mode" where basically only the Wii functions are available...not the gamepad...like when you play gamecube games on wii or ds games on 3ds.

This is pretty stupid for Virtual Consoles as they could just write new emulators for each VC platform for WiiU + give you access to download these....(instead of running the Wii versions in Wii mode, if this makes sense)
    Impossible for WiiWare but that doesn't matter so much.

Then again, in the recent Iwata Asks about the gamepad they did mention playing Super Mario Bros on the gamepad to test lag so i'm hoping that means it's in the works to support gamepad for VC titles eventually!

Yes.

The official word is no, not at launch anyway :( For WiiWare + Virtual Console titles the WiiU system goes into "Wii mode" where basically only the Wii functions are available...not the gamepad...like when you play gamecube games on wii or ds games on 3ds.

This is pretty stupid for Virtual Consoles as they could just write new emulators for each VC platform for WiiU + give you access to download these....(instead of running the Wii versions in Wii mode, if this makes sense)
    Impossible for WiiWare but that doesn't matter so much.

Then again, in the recent Iwata Asks about the gamepad they did mention playing Super Mario Bros on the gamepad to test lag so i'm hoping that means it's in the works to support gamepad for VC titles eventually!
    I don't remember them saying not at launch, just that it will be possible.
    they neither gave details nor time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Dunno if I'd have the patience to wait :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno if I'd have the patience to wait :pac:

I think it would have to be tested to make sure evrything's working okay. Because if it isn't you'd have to exchange it. So if it got too close to Christmas there mightn't be anything to replace it with and then she'd be disappointed.

So Damo, in short, you'd be playing it before she came home, just to be sure she wouldn't be disappointed like the thoughtful boyfriend you are. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Very surprised the largest percentage on here have voted they are not getting the console, is this because there are not enough titles of interest?

I have to say, I think the controller looks like a fairly average secondary school technology project, with mobile and tablet games doing big business I thought they would have made something a bit sleeker... how do I improve the current Nintendo Wii class?

em, you take the controller and put a screen in it sir?!

$$$:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

weemcd wrote: »
    Very surprised the largest percentage on here have voted they are not getting the console, is this because there are not enough titles of interest?

I have to say, I think the controller looks like a fairly average secondary school technology project, with mobile and tablet games doing big business I thought they would have made something a bit sleeker... how do I improve the current Nintendo Wii class?

:eek:

From what i've heard so far, it's a case of function over form and is supposed to be quite comfortable (and in fairness, Nintendo have always had controllers that looked a bit off, but did their job admirably. I'm sure plenty of folk thought 'what the hell?' about the Gamecube pad until it was put in their hand)'.

Would love to see a secondary school project with lower latency than a lot of TVs! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-16-wii-u-gamepad-wireless-latency-is-less-than-many-hdtvs

I forgot how much i love Nintendo until i got a cheap Wii last year. My only quandary is do i buy a Wii U day-1, or hit the RAGE up and bring home a truckload of Gamecube games :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is anyone gonna be using wii u as their main console?? Ill be picking FIFA and blops up, maybe start a wii u clan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

weemcd wrote: »

No offense but same crap being said for Wii and DS. People just not have a clue.
    Wii sold over 30 million more consoles than ps3. Nearly up to 100 million Wii sold.
    And that's pure profit on each wii vs ps3 sales at a loss. That's a proper business model for you. Sure its not best 3rd party console, but Wii u can level things up with 2nd wave of games, it have everything the other two will have.

I wish people would wait until they spent more than 5 minutes with before judging without educated clue, ive have spent hours with the new gamepad and suprising nintendo made it look very high quality indeed, screen is brilliant in it, latency is tech feat to behold at 60fps, its great to hold, incredibly light and touchscreen and more to boot, and it will be a success. And hopefully drop 50e in a years time so masses can enjoy it too.

At least Wii u and 360 continue to try add value and innovation, same cannot be said for sony, ps3 just got no soul to it. Bring on 30th Nov. Can't wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

kevin2me wrote: »
    No offense but same crap being said for Wii and DS. People just not have a clue.
    Wii sold over 30 million more consoles than ps3. Nearly up to 100 million Wii sold.
    And that's pure profit on each wii vs ps3 sales at a loss. That's a proper business model for you. Sure its not best 3rd party console, but Wii u can level things up with 2nd wave of games, it have everything the other two will have.

No one has seen the ps4 or nextbox so you can't say that. .The wii u is on par with the current consoles, so I'd imagine plenty of games will come out on the next systems that won't run on wii u.

• Advertisement
Advertisement