Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

if you took those pics and you have a wii u currently I will find your house and I will play it :D

Ssshhh, don't distract me. This part's hard enough when you're not used to the squirrel suit. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ssshhh, don't distract me. This part's hard enough when you're not used to the squirrel suit. :p

Gonna hack boards and find your address :D

Seriously that's not your wii u is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Now weren't those some lovely boxes? :)

Yes. Yes they were! The excitement is really growing when i see stuff like that. Its getting close now!

Ok just preordered batman and ghost recon too :( this is gonna cost a ****ing fortune :(:D

Gonna hack boards and find your address :D

Seriously that's not your wii u is it?

Bring a Wiimote with you. :)

The Console and controller pics are from Rich at IGN and the game case photos are from gameinformer.

Though I'm sure Helix will put in an appearance here soon enough to rub in the fact he got one for review purposes.

And thought Ghost Recon was put on indefinite hold?

On another note, have we had anoyone who wants to change their vote for getting a Wii U? I gave the 6 month option and will be sticking with it. Not because the Wii U doesn't appeal. More that I just can't justify getting another console just yet.

*And yes, I managed to fit "just" into 1 sentence 3 times

And a bit more info:
    Japanese Nintendo Direct to take place at 11am(Irish Time) tomorrow(Wednesday) morning. 35 minute video to talk about the System features. Asumming they'll cover the OS and Miiverse. No new game reveals. No announcements of a European or American version yet.

And in other news, a day one update will be available for online functionality. So if you're not online it won't affect you. If you are online it will provide the features such as eShop, Miiverse, etc.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/wii-u-will-have-day-one-update
    That's for the States but I think it's safe to assume we'll need to do it as well since I doubt they'd apply the patch to all the systems in the 2 weekes between launches.
    The theory is simply that this was done to stop sites giving away details before Nintendo can do it themselves.

Can't remember what I voted but I'm sure poll would be massively different to what it is seeing as we have all info now!!

Ok need to organise group of us for FIFA online play and blops 2 ASAP!!! This is my only console now and I'm gonna bring it in blops 2!!! So who is with me??

And castor your waiting 6 months?? Hang your head son!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

And a bit more info:
    Japanese Nintendo Direct to take place at 11am(Irish Time) tomorrow(Wednesday) morning. 35 minute video to talk about the System features. Asumming they'll cover the OS and Miiverse. No new game reveals. No announcements of a European or American version yet.

And in other news, a day one update will be available for online functionality. So if you're not online it won't affect you. If you are online it will provide the features such as eShop, Miiverse, etc.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/wii-u-will-have-day-one-update
    That's for the States but I think it's safe to assume we'll need to do it as well since I doubt they'd apply the patch to all the systems in the 2 weekes between launches.
    The theory is simply that this was done to stop sites giving away details before Nintendo can do it themselves.

FINALLY! :D excited for that now, decent length! :)

Ok need to organise group of us for FIFA online play and blops 2 ASAP!!! This is my only console now and I'm gonna bring it in blops 2!!! So who is with me??
    Not a massive COD fan before this...but if i pick it up, i'm game! :D

• Advertisement

And castor your waiting 6 months?? Hang your head son!!!!!

I think that 6 months will be 6 months max. :)

And a wee video of the box and info on when you can expect reviews.
    http://ie.ign.com/videos/2012/11/06/wii-u-arrives-at-ign
    Ninja Gaiden Nov 13th
    Mario U and Nintendoland Nov 15th

I wonder if he spun the box like that to show us what was inside, without opening it. I see HDMI cable anyway so that's good.

Well bed now. I'll try and find news tomorrow to post, but since all gaming websites are blocked at work, for some strange reason, someone else may have to post the highlights from the Direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I wonder if he spun the box like that to show us what was inside, without opening it. I see HDMI cable anyway so that's good.

Well bed now. I'll try and find news tomorrow to post, but since all gaming websites are blocked at work, for some strange reason, someone else may have to post the highlights from the Direct.
    If it's my company doing the blocking, I apologise!

Yeah HDMI as standard with them, and for those that need other connections, the Wii composite or component cables will work.

23 DAYS LEFT :D

If it's my company doing the blocking, I apologise!

Yeah HDMI as standard with them, and for those that need other connections, the Wii composite or component cables will work.

Thanks but it's the company's, or rather the parent company in the States's own blocker.

I just like to be sure the HDMI cable was included since the PS3 and, I think, the 360 didn't come with one even though HD was one of their selling points.

Thanks but it's the company's, or rather the parent company in the States's own blocker.

I just like to be sure the HDMI cable was included since the PS3 and, I think, the 360 didn't come with one even though HD was one of their selling points.

Defo comes with hdmi cable!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Here's the Japanese Nintendo Direct from 11am. Obviously it's in Japanese but if you go to 4:25, Iwata does an unboxing of the Premium console (while wearing surgical gloves :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Maybe that one is being shipped to the shops as soon as he's done there, so he can't get fingerprints on it. The expected shortage must be really bad.

I like how he tries to sit the tablet in its stand backwards. Someone skipped rehearsals.

mynintendonews.com has the details/translations that were posted on neogaf. I'm looking at them on my phone. Too much to type out but couple of things of note:
    - Nintendo Network ID. There can be up to 12 per system and users can play games downloaded by someone else
    - Nintendo Network can be used on multiple devices like PC, smartphone and other Nintendo Systems(guessing means 3DS). The ID can be tied to other 3rd party network services. (Guessing UPlay. Maybe Steam or Origin down the line?)
    - Can take screenshots when looking for help from others
    - Ability to block spoiler comments in the miiverse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Tried to pre order the wii u yesteday in hmv in galway , the manager their told me they came unprepared and that people who even pre booked their consoles might not get it even on the day :(

Gonna try smyths and tesco tomorrow and fingers crossed i can get my hands on one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Gonna try smyths and tesco tomorrow and fingers crossed i can get my hands on one

Asked Tesco Ireland on Facebook and they had no idea of price or stock or anything (until just before launch...probably the day before knowing them! :P )
    Asked Tesco UK about the irish stores + they said they can't tell me price/etc yet for ireland...wtf :confused: even though UK prices are all up.. :roll eyes:
    They also stated they had no idea regards stock but it may just be the larger (extra/super) stores....if anyone wants to try and get a better answer out of an actual store that'd be awesome!

• Advertisement

Still have to watch the Direct. Just watched the NOA summary one. Can't say I'm a fan of the plaza. Not because of what it is, but just it may take a while to start up if it has to get all those other Miis, unless they just gradually appear as it loads.

IGN's unboxing if you want
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/07/wii-u-unboxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

After seeing that unboxing I'm feeling really tempted to buy it... :o

Only thing I don't like is the console stand, looks a little tacky. I really shouldn't get hung up on minute details, but it's just something I noticed. I'll definitely end up getting one once Mario Kart inevitably hits Wii U, but until then I don't think I will. I also don't want to jeopardise fifth year this early! :pac:

I can't wait to hear what you guys think of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Ok I pre ordered back in September in HMV limerick, was told €380 for zombie u bundle, they seem much cheaper then anyone else do u think come the 30th hmv will honour this price point??

Ok I pre ordered back in September in HMV limerick, was told €380 for zombie u bundle, they seem much cheaper then anyone else do u think come the 30th hmv will honour this price point??

I am sure they probably will but with shortage of consoles seeming apparent and GameStop charging 40 extra I wouldn't put it past them to up prices before launch!! Could be a great marketing ploy by hmv lulling people into preordering at a price when nothing is guaranteed or set in stone!!!

I am sure they probably will but with shortage of consoles seeming apparent and GameStop charging 40 extra I wouldn't put it past them to up prices before launch!! Could be a great marketing ploy by hmv lulling people into preordering at a price when nothing is guaranteed or set in stone!!!

Reckon they shouldn't be saying a price if its not set in stone, only €10 deposit so easy to walk away if needs be, but doubt that will happen as I have an early pre order in and want to make sure that baby is under my tree dec25th :)

Reckon they shouldn't be saying a price if its not set in stone, only €10 deposit so easy to walk away if needs be, but doubt that will happen as I have an early pre order in and want to make sure that baby is under my tree dec25th :)
    i hope they do stick to the 380 but i trust no retailer these days especially since game left our homeland. hmv, smyths and gamestop are now overpricing everything tbh they are absolute bastards lol

smyths were taken pre orders but there was no garuntee people will get theirs on release day , the best they could do was put people on waiting list. Tesco had no mentioning of the wiiu anywhere BUT i managed to get my pre order in xtravision so im all sorted now :D

What price are Xtravision quoting? I see Asda's site has theirs at £299.99 for the premium

What price are Xtravision quoting? I see Asda's site has theirs at £299.99 for the premium

No prices yet they said

="We'll take your preorder and since you clearly want it, we will charge a small fortune since you'll have nowhere else to get it when it gets released"
    :P

• Advertisement

="We'll take your preorder and since you clearly want it, we will charge a small fortune since you'll have nowhere else to get it when it gets released"
    :P

With a 50 euro deposit theres no backing out now :P

Wii functionality won't be included out of the box. It'll be included in the Day one update

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/wii-u-needs-update-to-play-wii-games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I paid off the rest of mine at gamestop wednesday.
    380 I think for premium.

I asked if they had any plans for launch, was told probably not, all pre-orders are sold.
    (Clonmel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I paid off the rest of mine at gamestop wednesday.
    380 I think for premium.

I asked if they had any plans for launch, was told probably not, all pre-orders are sold.
    (Clonmel)

€330 delivered amazon.fr http://www.amazon.fr/Console-Nintendo-Wii-32-noire/dp/B0090LFL0E/

ShaneU wrote: »

I want it launch day though.
    I made the mistake of ordering my 3DS online, week later for about 20 euro saving. I have patience, but I weight costs and wait times, especially at hardware launches.
    And true cost to me was about 200 euro with all the 50% extra trade in deals and re-selling cheaper games to them I did since the 3DS launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Here are some more new trailers(In Japanese,I'm sure the English versions will appear soon)
    for Wii U - Miiverse and Tinternet Browser.

Wii U - Miiverse Trailer

Wii U Internet Browser trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU6ahIH41jE
    If you feel like watching Japanese families play video games, I've got the video for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU6ahIH41jE
    If you feel like watching Japanese families play video games, I've got the video for you!

You never told us how your hands-on time with the console went...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Tried to pre order the wii u yesteday in hmv in galway , the manager their told me they came unprepared and that people who even pre booked their consoles might not get it even on the day :(

PANIC, I've prebooked mine in hmv - do I need to go in and harass them?

• Advertisement

Hopefully it's based on when u pre ordered in which case I should be ok as booked since September, all long as I get one by Christmas ill be happy.

planetX wrote: »
    PANIC, I've prebooked mine in hmv - do I need to go in and harass them?

I would go in and just see what the situation is , but it did seem to me its first come first serve.

You never told us how your hands-on time with the console went...?

What? I've never touched a Wii U. You are confusing me with someone else.

www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/09/wii-u-system-services-summary/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I would go in and just see what the situation is , but it did seem to me its first come first serve.

They told me they'll probably have a midnight opening - if first come first served means having to go in and queue at midnight I'm going to be pissed off. Avoiding this is why you prebook in the first place:mad:
    thanks for the tip off tho...

What? I've never touched a Wii U. You are confusing me with someone else.

www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/09/wii-u-system-services-summary/
    Dude, sorry, no idea why I saw your name and thought Helix...

planetX wrote: »
    They told me they'll probably have a midnight opening - if first come first served means having to go in and queue at midnight I'm going to be pissed off. Avoiding this is why you prebook in the first place:mad:
    thanks for the tip off tho...

No problem man , glad i could help

• Advertisement

Ok so my main reason for getting wii u is off tv play as having a busy house doesn't allow lots of time to use the main tv. Playing console games while in bed sounds great to me. I know some games support this feature and some that don't, below ill list ones I know support it but if anyone else can add to this it would be great.

COD black ops 2
    Darksiders 2
    Mass effect 3
    Mario u
    Rayman
    Madden 13 (pretty sure it does)

Ok so my main reason for getting wii u is off tv play as having a busy house doesn't allow lots of time to use the main tv. Playing console games while in bed sounds great to me. I know some games support this feature and some that don't, below ill list ones I know support it but if anyone else can add to this it would be great.

COD black ops 2
    Darksiders 2
    Mass effect 3
    Mario u
    Rayman

sonic and sega all star racing transformed has it aswell

COD black ops 2
    Darksiders 2
    Mass effect 3
    Mario u
    Rayman

are you sure about darksiders?
    I thought they outsourced another studio to come up with upad uses and stuff like inventory and stuff. Seems like that'd rule out upad only play.

Toki Tori 2
    Dragon Quest X
    Skylanders Giants
    Puddle
    Mighty Switch Force
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Nano Assault Neo
    Trine 2: Director's Cut
    Wii Fit U
    Rabbids Land
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Team
    Warriors Orochi 3

some might not be launch games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

This they first nintendo console in a long time I am not interested in purchasing at launch,it just seems like a wii with an portable screen,am I wrong ?

are you sure about darksiders?
    I thought they outsourced another studio to come up with upad uses and stuff like inventory and stuff. Seems like that'd rule out upad only play.

I assumed Darksiders would be able to be played on the pad since I remember that was one of the first dev interviews about Wii U. They said they had it running on the pad by just adding a line of code when they were just messing around to see what it could do. So unless they decided not to go ahead with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement