Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I knew there would be something similar to NintendoLand, little mini games to get you used to the controls. I'm pretty sure it will be included.

It's like Wii Sports, came with the Wii, Wii Play came with the controller and Wii Sports resort came with Motion Plus. Just add on games to get you excited and add value to the product (I do marketing :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

EnterNow wrote: »
    God no, if its free then it might provide a casual distraction...but surely thats not something people would pay for?

I'm still hopeful that the new controller & console will somehow tie in together & create something really unique that caters for everyone...suppose we'll only know when we see it in the flesh

I think nintendo way has always being making games for everyone , theres no doubt the wii u will cater to both casual and core gamer but whether or not that means one will be catered more than the other will remain to be seen.
    Launch games 99% of the time are just shovelware or ports , but people who buy launch usually are the nintendo gamers who buy for the games they know that come in the future .
    I have no problem nintendo catering for everyone , there should be games for everyone , only thing nintendo have lacked for while are the 3rd parties , as long they jump on board and support wii u then everyone be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think I originally posted in this thread to say that I would wait a year after launch. The press conference didn't really alter that opinion. But I do love new gadgets so I know when the WiiU launches I will have the urge to go and buy it.

Of the launch games I can't wait to play NSMBWU. One of the very best gaming experiences this generation was playing the Wii version with three friends. The potential to grief people in Boost Mode sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

even though i was not hugely wowed by the press conference yesterday i probably will. reviews pending i would be tempted by ZombiU (though last time ubisoft launched a shooter on nintendo system it was pants) and pikmin 3. maybe batman as i didnt get that yet(as long as it has the game of the year expansions) and could be tempted by mass effect though i wouldnt be able to transfer my character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I'l get one at launch if....

The console launches in black.
    ZombieU and Colonial Marines are well recieved and available day one.
    It retails for €300

Is that asking too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'l get one at launch if....

The console launches in black.
    ZombieU and Colonial Marines are well recieved and available day one.
    It retails for €300

Is that asking too much?

Aliens is out February.
    It's been pushed back 2 years so yeah launch would be too much to ask there. :p
    The rest seems about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

€300 with Nintendo Land packed in would be the sweet spot personally, also it must be in black......The promo materials available from Nintendo's media site have images for both colours but the Black images are labelled Hardware1 whilst the White ones are labelled Hardware2, Black being listed first must means it's the primary option :P

Probably gonna get a lot of titles tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Rayman Legends gameplay anyone?

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2012/06/06/rayman-legends-wii-u-developer-demo-e3-2012

The thing about some of these demos is that I would like to know what single player is like or even if it's available

• Advertisement

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has told Bloomberg that Wii U will “likely be priced at more than 20,000 yen”. Roughly translated that’s around $250, so it’s likely that the system will retail in North America for $300 or more. Nintendo has already said that it won’t reveal pricing or a release date until a later date.
    http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/07/satoru-iwata-reveals-minimum-wii-u-price/

Probably going for €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nintendo Japan website, which is proudly displaying all kinds of specs about the Wii U. Battery life is listed as 'about three hours to five hours' but Nintendo warns that 'battery duration is a guideline' and will vary. Things like the brightness of the display could mean its even shorter.

God almighty :(

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-Wii-Wii-U-Controller-Tablet-Battery-life,news-15462.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Pro controller should be much better, or i presume you can use the Gamepad whilst charging it with a wire....it's usable for me tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, after letting all the details of the WiiU sink in, I find I am not very impressed with the Wii-U as much as when I started this topic. A very bad first showing is the main reason for it. FFS, Wii Fit U?, bah!

Yes the launch line up is ok, but another Mario 2D, Pikmin3, nah. Some other games look interresting, but really not showing off the system at all!

Was really impressed with ZombiU up until Ubisoft said they will be porting the game to other systems, after that statment, I just thought to myself, I have a 360, I dont need the U, sad face.

Maybe the TGS will show it off a lot better but so far, really not looking good for day 1 buy for me at the moment.

Also, is it just me or did it seem like all games that are coming to the WiiU will also be coming (in some way shape or form, at some stage) to the 3DS? I have a 3DS, why will I need a WiiU if this is the case. *confused*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Also, is it just me or did it seem like all games that are coming to the WiiU will also be coming (in some way shape or form, at some stage) to the 3DS? I have a 3DS, why will I need a WiiU if this is the case. *confused*

From what I have seen, I think that's just you! Only one where I thought that was the new Scribblenauts game that pretty much looked identical on both platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Seems to be Lego City too, that looks funny so will be getting that for the 3ds.
    Different games, but NSMB2/U too. No doubt there will be a Pikmin on the 3ds too.

• Advertisement

No doubt there will be a Pikmin on the 3ds too.
    There's very much doubt of a Pikmin game on the 3DS imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Pre-order is £200 (around €250) on amazon for anyone interested, worth doing just in case the price goes higher http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B5YB4W/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If thats the price I am getting one at launch, no brainer at that. Was humming and hawwing and was going to wait a while, but thats brilliant.

And once you order, they can't raise the price, or how does it work? Also demand on getting it on July 14th. :)

Doesn't seem to give you a choice of colour. Just when add to the basket it says black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And once you order, they can't raise the price, or how does it work? Also demand on getting it on July 14th. :)

Doesn't seem to give you a choice of colour. Just when add to the basket it says black

You can view there pre order guarantee here

basically they can't raise the price and if it goes lower again then you get the lower price.

RE the July release date. That is obviously terribly wrong :P

• Advertisement

So tempted to preorder. Especially since the price seems unlikely.

Be funny if it turned up on July 14th. You'd be well shocked.

So tempted to preorder. Especially since the price seems unlikely.

Be funny if it turned up on July 14th. You'd be well shocked.

Do it :) they don't take payment until they ship it anyway!

And can cancel before it's dispatched if I find a better offer which is unlikely?

I asked over in gaming bargains as well

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/amazon-uk-offering-black-wii-u-pre-orders-for-199-99/
    UPDATE: An Amazon customer service representative, speaking to me over the phone, tells me that all information in their Black Wii U listing – including price and date – comes from their suppliers (not the manufacturer). I was also assured that this console is covered by their price guarantee, including the eventuality that the price increases once customers have placed their order (though the on-site guarantee mentions only decreases). This means that if you order a Black Wii U from Amazon for £199.99, that is the maximum price you will pay.

i pre-ordered for 199 bargin read it on gonintendo 199 is 245.72 atm

cant wait to see what amazon bundles are tho

i bet the wii u will go on sale for 299 in gamestop lol RIP OFF IRLAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Working very hard to persuade the missus this is something i actually NEED, I might just pre order it anyway, I will have 3 or 4 months to work on her!!

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Working very hard to persuade the missus this is something i actually NEED, I might just pre order it anyway, I will have 3 or 4 months to work on her!!

ask for it for christmas ah its christmas say your deserve it :D and take her to the jewelers

thats rights if your in ireland like me im saving 55 euro if your in the uk your saving 80 pounds wihtout a bundle its win win i bet bundles will be about 350 pounds

i just gotta order when you can on amazon

new super mario bros U
    rayman legends
    lego city undercover
    sonic and all star racing wii u version
    skylanders giants wii u version

merry christmas to me

oh and all epic 3ds games coming this xmas also thank god ive been saving
    never mind one or two ps3 games lol oh my

Tell her this way you can keep playing while she's watching her soaps. Win/win. :)

I went ahead and preordered since money doesn;t come out anytime soon and can cancel before then if I want

Tell her this way you can keep playing while she's watching her soaps. Win/win. :)

I went ahead and preordered since money doesn;t come out anytime soon and can cancel before then if I want

lol wii u is number 1 pre order in video games section in the last hour :D

• Advertisement

Ummmmm, can we all change our answer in the original poll now? :D

Ummmmm, can we all change our answer in the original poll now? :D

if its cheap they shall come :D

you think sony :D will go mad over the the vita is dearier than the wii u

And if the price of games are what shopto lists them as, then that's console and 1 game for around £250. Not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No pre-order option here, just says "Like" and "Sign up to be notified when this product becomes available" :(
    Please someone tell me I'm doing something wrong and didn't miss out on it at this price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

No pre-order option here, just says "Like" and "Sign up to be notified when this product becomes available" :(
    Please someone tell me I'm doing something wrong and didn't miss out on it at this price?

It's gone :( I knew I shouldn't have huffed and puffed over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I got in before the end but I doubt Amazon will honor it. Something similar happened with the MGS HD Collection and a lot of people had their orders cancelled.

It's still in my orders as £204 anyway so yeah we'll see what the next couple of days bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Nah, even if people placed preorders at that price, Amazon are under no obligation to honour them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm in the same boat and will find it hard to justify spending the cash on it but my argument will go thus:

It plays all my Wii games..
    I can have all the downloaded games from my Wii on it...
    The WiiMotes/Balance Board/etc will all work on it so no buying more peripherals...
    I'm effectively just replacing the console and getting a new controller....

Don't know how effective that'll be but I have been thinking about how it'll fit into my lifestyle right now and it should fit quite well.

My gaming these days revolves mostly around getting an hour in the evening after the kids go to bed, sitting on the couch playing games and replying to letters from the excellent community I've gathered on my 3DS while herself watches her stuff on tv.

In that situation, I could use the "Padtroller" (TM) to play all my downloaded arcade games or Wii games on the couch as I would the 3DS. StreetFighter2, Sin and Punishment, CoD, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom....there's a lot of games people already have that could get a new lease of life just playing on the Padtroller!

If I want to fire up a WiiU game, I can move to the next room where there's a proper game setup (big screen, surround sound, bean bag etc).

I can see games where I have the Padtroller while my son has the wiimote and I'm guiding and helping him in some way, being the type of games I will buy to enjoy together and I can kinda see what Ninty are getting at there.
    I'm hoping there's something like that from day one but if I don't get it that day, I'll be asking Santa ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got in last night too. Officially on the Wii-U bandwagon. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    I got in last night too. Officially on the Wii-U bandwagon. :)

Welcome to the bandwagon. Try not to tip it. I think at this rate we're at The Polyphonic Spree type numbers for a band. :)

Don't think Nintendo ever updated their facebook page to reveal those launch titles they hinted at.

smokingman wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat and will find it hard to justify spending the cash on it but my argument will go thus:

It plays all my Wii games..
    I can have all the downloaded games from my Wii on it...
    The WiiMotes/Balance Board/etc will all work on it so no buying more peripherals...
    I'm effectively just replacing the console and getting a new controller....

Don't know how effective that'll be but I have been thinking about how it'll fit into my lifestyle right now and it should fit quite well.

My gaming these days revolves mostly around getting an hour in the evening after the kids go to bed, sitting on the couch playing games and replying to letters from the excellent community I've gathered on my 3DS while herself watches her stuff on tv.

In that situation, I could use the "Padtroller" (TM) to play all my downloaded arcade games or Wii games on the couch as I would the 3DS. StreetFighter2, Sin and Punishment, CoD, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom....there's a lot of games people already have that could get a new lease of life just playing on the Padtroller!

If I want to fire up a WiiU game, I can move to the next room where there's a proper game setup (big screen, surround sound, bean bag etc).

I can see games where I have the Padtroller while my son has the wiimote and I'm guiding and helping him in some way, being the type of games I will buy to enjoy together and I can kinda see what Ninty are getting at there.
    I'm hoping there's something like that from day one but if I don't get it that day, I'll be asking Santa ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsAVYd3lP4&feature=player_embedded
    Or netflix, where you can send your kids into another room to watch something on netflix while you watch TV. :O

they have to honour it

they have to honour it

No they don't. Look up invitation to treat. I Would assume the price will be around this anyway as Nintendo really fudged up with the expensive price of the 3ds.

Nintendo may take a hit on every console sold but they will make it all back up in game sales and peripheral sales.

And there is the cancelation email

Hello,

We're writing to you regarding to your order 026-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx for the Nintendo Wii U (Black) console. Your order has been cancelled as this product was listed on Amazon.co.uk in error. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

You will not be charged for your order.

If you're interested in ordering the Nintendo Wii U console when it becomes available, you can sign up to receive an email here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y59P3A

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department

• Advertisement

Got it too... oh well. :)

/hops off bandwagon.

Limericks wrote: »
    And there is the cancelation email

wtf but they have a pre order gprice promise dont they :mad:

Not when it was listed in error (which the email seems to claim).

I'd say they got thousands of orders last night before it was pulled - it would have been a huge hit for them if they fulfilled.

We do offer pre-order price guarantee. However, if the supplier has informed us that the price is totally wrong, then that is the reason for cancellation of an order.

thats whats amazon said to me in chat

Down with this sort of thing!

Oh well, good job I didn't change my original vote

• Advertisement
Advertisement