Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TWINS Clinic at the Coombe - Urgent Question!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm 14 weeks pregnant with twins. I have my first appt. at the Twins Clinic at the Coombe in a week.

I have a 16 month old son who, given our particular circumstances, I unfortunately need to bring with me to as many appts as possible. He's Very well behaved, it's just that we are U.S. expats living here with NO family or close friends around, and we have no childcare lined up. So, until we can get something arranged, I will have to bring him with me as much as possible to limit the time my husband has to take off from work.

I know there are certain things I can and can not bring him along to. They've already told me that he's not allowed to come along to all of the additional long scans or any sort of educational class. But, I also attend the Diabetic Clinic and know from experience that children are allowed to attend there with you.

If anyone could tell me if they have taken or have seen other women there with little ones, I'd Very much appreciate it. And, if you could just tell me what I can expect in general. Is it something that takes up most of the day or do they go through the appts rather quickly. I'm very unfamiliar with the medical system here so I'm always a bit nervous before starting something new.

~Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Bring him...
    It's a maternity hospital, they should be well used to kids!
    I understand him not being allowed to the ante natal classes etc when there are other families there, but I'd bring him along to any other appointments that are just you and your partner.
    I'm in and out of the Coombe for work and have PLENTY of times seen pregnant women there with their other kids.

I'd allow as much time as possible for any and all appointments... the maternitys are so busy at the moment, you can potential get stuck there for quite a while.

Actually... it may be a good idea to have a special toy or something to bring with you when your son is coming with you to help keep him entertained :)

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

I brought my kids to appointments. The majority of people did not do so. Make sure you bring everything you need for him. You don't want to have to leave a queue for any reason!

Would you consider looking into some form of childcare? Someone who would give you a little break, or be there in case of emergency, or look after your little boy when you eventually give birth. I have been there - having no family in Dublin. I really regretted it at times when we were stuck and I had no minder lined up. My older kids were good to go to someone at short notice but I can't leave my youngest anywhere. He is shy and needs to know people first.

Lots of mothers with kids in school would be glad to have a few hours work. Just a suggestion...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thompssn

I'm just always so nervous before starting anything new here because so many things are different than I'm used to. Plus, I'm nervous in general with the whole "twins" thing! Though, I guess the worst thing they can do is just tell me not to bring him back next time. I always make sure to bring lots of toys and snacks and things to keep him occupied, even if we're just going to the grocery store. :)

We are starting to look about a part-time child minder. It's just that all of this rush of appts has happened so quickly after finding out it's twins (and with my fatigue and morning sickness that lasted so long), we haven't had enough time to all of the necessary things in all of the different areas of our lives. That's one area that I don't want to rush or take lightly. We do have, what I would call, a "baby-sitter" who comes to get Conor for a couple of hours once a week for me. She'll also come for specific things, like a date-night. But she has a job and goes to school, so other daytime things can be very tough to fit in.

We're definitely going to get him in with someone a couple/few days a week as soon as possible, I just don't see it happening before I have to go to quite a few of these appts that are already lined up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Honestly I'd ring the hosp and check, I know in the Rotunda I get a text before every appointment reminding me not to bring in children due to the Winter Vomiting Bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ginny wrote: »
    Honestly I'd ring the hosp and check, I know in the Rotunda I get a text before every appointment reminding me not to bring in children due to the Winter Vomiting Bug.

This, and a few years ago it was the Swine Flu... just ring and make sure there isn't a ban on any visitors other than partner at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 thompssn

For anyone in the future looking for this topic...

Nothing was said to me about bringing my son along to the Twins/Multiples Clinic. He's always been well behaved out, so the people there actually enjoyed interacting with him. Especially the ones that remembered me being there while I was pregnant with him. I guess they don't often get to see the 'fruits of their labor', and actually Remember circumstances. I have a VERY distinct Southern-American accent, so most people here remember me.

In fact, it was much easier to bring him to this clinic than the other one that I attend. There were Much fewer people there. Granted, I did get there Early. So, I'm not sure what it's like "normally".

We're in the process of finding a childminder. So, hopefully, I'll only have to take him to each of the clinic's one more time before we get things worked out.

Also to point out that there are no special restrictions there at the moment. So, like others mentioned, be sure to check with the hospital about bringing a young one with you in general. I bet they never "recommend" it, but make sure it's allowed at the time.

Advertisement