Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inguinal Hernia

Options
  • 14-05-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm pretty sure I have an inguinal hernia on the right side. I am seeing the GP tomorrow. Just wondering has anybody had one and if so, what surgery did you have and where is the best place to have the surgery done.
    I am really nervous about the thought of surgery but it looks like the only answer for this.
    Also, I have some ankle,knee and hip problems from an old football injury on my right side too. Does anybody have any opinions on weather these injuries and me compensating over the last few years could have weakened the abdominal wall that has led to this poxy hernia.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hiya,

If its an inguinal hernia, you are better to get it sorted. Inguinal hernia's or bilateral inguinal hernia are very common with preterm boys. Both my lads had surgery at 4 weeks old and 8 weeks old. Recovery was simple for them as they were not mobile but from talking to lads in work, its more complicated when older, one was out for about a month afterwards.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

cassid wrote: »
    Hiya,

If its an inguinal hernia, you are better to get it sorted. Inguinal hernia's or bilateral inguinal hernia are very common with preterm boys. Both my lads had surgery at 4 weeks old and 8 weeks old. Recovery was simple for them as they were not mobile but from talking to lads in work, its more complicated when older, one was out for about a month afterwards.

Best of luck

Thanks cassid. I'm 32 now and dreading the thought of surgery. See GP in the morning.
    Ahhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

cassid wrote: »
    Hiya,

Best of luck

I was one of those boys. have a nice scar there now, but I lost it in 'the forrest' :cool: cant see it anymore :/

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

Just saw GP and he confirmed an inguinal hernia. Basically said there was nothing to worry about and that it is a standard operation to fix it. I said I wanted to try some exercises to try and heal this thing naturally and he said that is fine as there is no rush with the surgery. He has seen in the past where people have cured hernias without surgery although I didn't think this was possible.

Advertisement