Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There is a racist where I work...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

When hes in earshot, take a call and loudly say "codeword unicorn" quickly glance up as if someone mightve heard you. Then into the phone say "ok I ll keep clear of there tonight so "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

50% of the English have Irish relatives &/or friends according to a recent survey around the time of Queen Elizabeth's visit to Ireland. :D

There's a small minority who just hate Irish full stop, often they call themslves British instead of English :rolleyes: Some I've met even have Irish surnames or backgrounds, it used to be much worse during the troubles years ago. It even happens with some people from Black & Asian origin.

Usually these types hate all "Paddies" regardless of religion, and some of them aren't really proper English when you find out their exact family background either :eek:

Abusing others makes them fell better & more patriotic & eases their doubts about the own identity !!!!!

Just get another job if it gets much worse !:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

how is he allowed to get away with hiding things from you,hes a director of a company?he sounds like an idiot that could be manning a sinking ship if he conducts himself like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Report him staright away op. I dont know how he expects his anti Irish problem to be taken seriously. If you went to your boss and said you dont like the british because of some loyalist thing you could hardly expect to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

rgmmg wrote: »
    If her name's "Aine" she isn't a Protestant?

Lol I wondered that too :D I can't imagine any of the Paisleys naming any of their children Aine lol

Could you go at it from another angle...instead of making a complaint because of racism etc, is there anyone you can talk to about the fact that he's not passing information that you need on to you? Surely there's a code of practise in the office to deal with some one that's hindering the overall productivity of the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Call in a few bomb warnings, they'll get the message.

EDIT: All comments are the work of fiction and only a fool would believe this is condoning a criminal act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

a prod called Áine??

get the fúck outa hhhheeeeeeeeeaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If it's in the Middle East, just tell all the Arabs you know about the jokes he is always telling about the paedophile, camel-fcuking prophet of theirs and see what happens to him. If he really thinks Irish people are treacherous cnuts, leave him in no doubt about it.:):):D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He sounds like a thick fuck.

Start building a case against him by writing down what he's saying and what has been said to you and how it's making you feel.

Just in case, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

It's a really tough situation but I think if I were in your shoes I'd address it full-on. You need to talk to this guy and tell him that you don't appreciate what he has to say and that you consider it a form of racism. If he doesn't acknowledge the problem you might have to attempt to go above him, if possible or even go the legal route.

Essentially, I don't think it will be good for you to work in such a poisonous environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It's just like being British and working over here... hear similar all the time (maybe not as serious as th OP gets but it's in joke and stuff)... boring... and then come on websites and all the anti Brit stuff... zzzz.

It don't bother me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Im not irish myself,but over 7 years i realized that this country is like south and north korea,instead of realizing that your neighbors are the same color language and most of them are 99% related at some stage in timeline of history,as people had to come to this island from somewhere close enough,Theres always this one friend or person who gonna be a Nazi towards the ethnic group,country or someones heritage or culture,as they still live in 1560s and cant let go of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's clearly sectarianism, he doesn't really believe that Irish people are violent, if he did he wouldn't go around antagonising Irish people because he'd be working under the assumption they beat the face off him. Unless he's a violent thug himself and is only looking for a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Throw him down a well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

complicit wrote: »
    I live in Anglia and meet these dickheads all the time . I tend to play the Fred West angle a lot - just bring Mr West into every conversation with this knob .
    I also like to tell them proudly about my grandfathers adventures with the IRA back in the day . Another angle is to ask if he is part of the gentry / peerage . No? Then he is just a commoner like most folk

Posts like this make me smile. Keep on paying your tax dollars to the crown like a good man - I'm sure most English people are of the opinion that as long as you do that you can boldly go on about your grandfather's exploits and the RA as much as you like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm living in The Middle East, & working in a very mixed office. Its a UK company, The senior management are British & the rest of the company are made up of Philippinos, Indians, Sri Lankans, both coloured and white South Africans, Me (Irish) & three English.

We're all coloured. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

bwatson wrote: »
    Posts like this make me smile. Keep on paying your tax dollars to the crown like a good man - I'm sure most English people are of the opinion that as long as you do that you can boldly go on about your grandfather's exploits and the RA as much as you like!

Actually I pay my tax in Ireland and repatriate most of my profits there also ( yes , company director ) Nice try though cheeky cockney :-)
    Thats awesome that you know what most english people think too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I'm not too sure about this OP.

I question the need to name the nationality here if you are genuinely looking for some unbiased feedback (no pun intended). Having sifted through most of the posts (yawn) I was very surprised not to see the auld favourite trotted out about the "no blacks no Irish" signs.

Anyway, if true - sorry to hear bout it mate but you need to suck it up.

If it ain't true you have fed the Brit Bashers – two wrongs don’t make yada yada yada

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Don't drop the soap anyway whatever you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

• I love to sit outside pubs and watch Irish Catholics & Protestants beat the **** out of each other
    • The Irish just constantly fight each other
    • What was your first job? Laying tarmac?
    • Irish are all drunks etc...
    Did they mention anything about swans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Official way.

Tell him it is unwarranted and unprofessional and you don't want to hear any comments like that again to him or others.

If he continues go to a manager. If nothing is done at that point, or he continues then document everything and go to HR.

In UK/Ireland, harassment the company gets in trouble, not the person making the racist statements. So HR will stamp down hard on it. If he is intentionally blocking resources to help the company that isn't going to look good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He sounds like a thick fuck.

Start building a case against him by writing down what he's saying and what has been said to you and how it's making you feel.

Just in case, like.

Building a case? :pac: Bit too much of this for you:

Just go to HR or post to Facebook or plant some drugs on him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plant a bomb under his car

aaahh the good ol'days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Buy a set of cheap drums in argos and a orange jersey and start marching around just to make him feel at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Just to clear things up, it's the boss of the guy who made the comments , right?
    The boss approached you and said he felt tension? Between you and one of his staff?
    I wouldn't pay much heed to the halfwit that made the comments tbh, you probably not going to change his attitude much anyway. You probably won't change the attitude of the boss either, so I would ride it out for a week or so and see if it is effecting your work.
    Just see if there is an attitude issue in future or not. If there is, well take it further and get your cv ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

micropig wrote: »
    Blast him with p1ss Guinness :D

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Treat it like any other incident such as bullying, sexual misconduct etc. If you feel that it's worth fighting and have a case, take it to HR.

Make a written complaint and keep a record. They will have to investigate it. Be careful though if it's just your word against his as unless there's other witnesses or previous incidents, they'll be very little HR will be able/ prepared to do and you may just make things worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

johngalway wrote: »
    Ask him how the Empire is going now that all the natives have followed the great white man home and are living at his cost in his country:

very good :D

They are quite sensitive at the min with all the immigrants in their country. You reap what you sow mother england ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

leggo wrote: »
    Just yesterday, an African lady asked one of the girls I work with if the place was still open and was met with a rude, abrupt reply. It was a simple enough question and she wasn't looking for any favours. Similarly, in another shop I've worked in, I've seen black people get deliberately ignored for ages when waiting at the till.

I have pulled people up on this before and have been met with replies like, "Have you not seen the mess they make?" etc. And yeah, to be brutally honest, there are some black women who would make your blood boil with the disregard they have for other people's property. It happens with such frequency that I have to assume it's a cultural thing. The behaviours and profiles are too consistent with each other for it to be coincidence.

But, then again, I've also seen it happen with Eastern Europeans and Irish people (what Irish people tend to do is drop something on the ground, look around to see if anyone has noticed, and if they haven't they'll walk swiftly away regardless of the mess someone else now has to clean).

Oh dear. Here we go again....

Why is it Irish people in Ireland automatically assume ALL black people are African??:confused: When I first moved over, yes I got the stares and rude service in the shops. I've had money thrown at me when paying. It's only when I open my mouth, (to pull them up on their lack of manners! :D)and it's realised I'm English, then people tend to be be bit friendlier...

Just for the record. I do not live like a pig. I clean up wherever I go. I put litter in the bin or take it home. I even pick up after my dog. That's a trait I've noticed about here. Streets are VERY dirty with all the dog mess that people are too lazy to pick up, and let their dogs sh!t EVERYWHERE!!! How about THAT???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

woodoo wrote: »

They are quite sensitive at the min with all the immigrants in their country. You reap what you sow mother england ;)

It hasn't failed me yet once the correct target is identified, won't work on a normal person but the toff Tory, UKIP and BNP types, you can see veins popping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

just tell him you have fixed his car and he will never hear a rattle again. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh dear. Here we go again....

Why is it Irish people in Ireland automatically assume ALL black people are African?? ???

Some think they're all Nigerian. Expanding it to a continent is a big step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

woodoo wrote: »

Your statement is simply ridiculous and very obvious the work of a man with little understanding of the British public as a whole.

Lets look at it this way just a couple of months before the Olympic games - How many Irish are expected to win medals at the upcoming olympics for example? 1, 2?

The Union Flag was hoisted high 19 times in Beijing, a great number of athletes who brought the gold home for Britain were, shock horror, of african and caribbean descent! I also still fondly remember the likes of the 4 by 100 metres team in Athens (four British athletes, not a single one of them white) and the gold medals brought back by Dame Kelly Holmes in 2004. Very sensitive? Yes I'd agree, on the whole very accepting and often very proud. "Immigrant" communities play a big role in modern British society and are for the most part wholly accepted and appreciated. Your phrase "you reap what you sow" is not only offensive to white British people but also to those who are black and asian.

Clueless fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I experienced exactly the same thing from an English guy when I worked for a well known phone manufacturer when I lived in Germany. He was only in the door 3 days and started trying to rile me up with IRA remarks and such like. I complained and I was frozen out and eventually let go under the guise of a headcount cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bwatson wrote: »
    Your statement is simply ridiculous and very obvious the work of a man with little understanding of the British public as a whole.

Lets look at it this way just a couple of months before the Olympic games - How many Irish are expected to win medals at the upcoming olympics for example? 1, 2?

The Union Flag was hoisted high 19 times in Beijing, a great number of athletes who brought the gold home for Britain were, shock horror, of african and caribbean descent! I also still fondly remember the likes of the 4 by 100 metres team in Athens (four British athletes, not a single one of them white) and the gold medals brought back by Dame Kelly Holmes in 2004. Very sensitive? Yes I'd agree, on the whole very accepting and often very proud. "Immigrant" communities play a big role in modern British society and are for the most part wholly accepted and appreciated. Your phrase "you reap what you sow" is not only offensive to white British people but also to those who are black and asian.

Clueless fool.

Good fer you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

old hippy wrote: »
    You can travel all over the world and still meet idiots. Travel doesn't broaden the mind, in some cases, sadly.

Exactly. When travelling, always travel light by not bringing a gob****e with you. You will always find one when you get there.

Its a UK company, The senior management are British & the rest of the company are made up of Philippinos, Indians, Sri Lankans, both coloured and white South Africans, Me (Irish) & three English. All of the English work on one project team together, while all the other management of various nationalities run their own teams..

The word you're looking for here my friend, is BLACK. No-one refers to us as coloured these days. It's considered offensive....

Nodin wrote: »
    Some think they're all Nigerian. Expanding it to a continent is a big step.

Very true. It's like people at home thinking all West Indians are Jamaican. They don't realise the WI is composed of 1000's of islands of which Jamaica is only one. FFS, in some of the WI, their first language is not English!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OP did you actually want serious advice on this? Or did you just want a laugh at the stupid/pointless responses?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Very true. It's like people at home thinking all West Indians are Jamaican. They don't realise the WI is composed of 1000's of islands of which Jamaica is only one. FFS, in some of the WI, their first language is not English!!:eek:

I work abroad. With quite a few Africans. Most of them think Ireland is part of the UK.
    I also had an "WASP"y American woman ask me (when those Brit Royals got married) if I had stayed up to watch it. When I said I had no interest in it, and that they weren't princes/princesses of Ireland she just looked confused and tried to tell me they were

It doesn't make them racist beause they don't know the intricacies of relatively small groupings of peole thousand of miles away.

Would you be au-fait with the differences between Uzbekis and Kyrgyzs?

Don't be so bleedin' sensitive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi-BB-j0u0

Feckin Sasanachs :p

yore wrote: »
    I work abroad. With quite a few Africans. Most of them think Ireland is part of the UK.
    I also had an "WASP"y American woman ask me (when those Brit Royals got married) if I had stayed up to watch it. When I said I had no interest in it, and that they weren't princes/princesses of Ireland she just looked confused and tried to tell me they were

It doesn't make them racist beause they don't know the intricacies of relatively small groupings of peole thousand of miles away.

Would you be au-fait with the differences between Uzbekis and Kyrgyzs?

Don't be so bleedin' sensitive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi-BB-j0u0

Feckin Sasanachs :p

This kind of thing goes on all over. We know that. The differences in Uzbeks and Kyrgyz are fairly obvious. One is of Turkic/Persian descent, the other Mongolian/Chinese! :p

I live here. If you're Black and British as I am, it's not exactly a walk in the park, is it? You get on with it. Sensitivity is left at the door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The word you're looking for here my friend, is BLACK. No-one refers to us as coloured these days. It's considered offensive....

Thats actually incorrect. My south African friends identify themselves as Coloured/Coloureds,Black & White. They all seem happy with their race & chose to identify themselves differently, possibly because under apartheid their cultures all developed separately... The white lads then identify themselves as Dutch/Africans or English. This is just how they present themselves & I'll go along with that if thats how they feel comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

OP, start recording every incident meticulously. If there are other staff that are witnesses to this idiots rantings and who would be on side with you, maybe approach them quietly after incidents and ask them to make a record of what they witnessed.

When you have enough evidence, make a format complaint of discrimination to the boss. If they don't take it seriously and discipline this goon, then take a racial discrimination case against the company using your portfolio of evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

There must be some manager that you know and get on with that is above his level or on his level that you could say something to. Let them know that you don’t want to make a big deal of it or an official complaint but that it is not just you who has noticed how he acts towards you. Start keeping a record of the things he says to you too. Just note it down when he says something offensive with the time and date. The way he was talking to you is making it sound like he thinks you have the issue not him so you never know what he might do or say in the future about your conduct. If you keep a record of his you will be much safer.

Edit: Duckjob got in there first with the notes thing but do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the only way to be free of racism is to combine the races

Your task for the day (should you chose to accept it) go shag someone different to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

corktina wrote: »
    Your task for the day (should you chose to accept it) go shag someone different to yourself.

But what if they're from Cork? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Confab wrote: »
    corktina wrote: »

But what if they're from Cork? :eek:

Then you get the smell of the River Lee of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aggiem

This person's prejucical remarks are obviously affecting you and interfering with you in your daily work and interactions with your workplace, and rightly so. Yet, you say when he sought you out to discuss it with you you said you had no problem, why did you not inform him of how objectionable you found his attitude and tell him that if it continues you will be forced to take further action. If things don't improve you should make a formal complaint against him in whatever forum is available to you. His attitude is definitely racist and if you were to substitute 'black' or 'jew' for for the work 'irish' you would not find it acceptable. You have a duty to other people not just yourself for if this person is so skewed in his attitude to you you can be sure it spills over into other areas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Here's something I want to get off my mind. Not really a question & I'm not looking for answers. I just want to get this off my mind.

I'm living in The Middle East, & working in a very mixed office. Its a UK company, The senior management are British & the rest of the company are made up of Philippinos, Indians, Sri Lankans, both coloured and white South Africans, Me (Irish) & three English. All of the English work on one project team together, while all the other management of various nationalities run their own teams.

In general I get on with my colleagues & socialise with allot of them regularly & because we get on so well, we actually laugh at the idea of racism within the group. Although the English team tend not to socialise much with people from the office.

I was a bit peeved with one of my colleagues, who has been here about three months. He keeps spouting casual racism about the Irish. stuff like:
    • I love to sit outside pubs and watch Irish Catholics & Protestants beat the **** out of each other
    • The Irish just constantly fight each other
    • What was your first job? Laying tarmac?
    • Irish are all drunks etc...
    This stuff doesn't really bother me most of the time (water off a ducks back), but its a bit much in the workplace. I actually believe that this guy is just a bit socially inept and doesn't mean any real harm by what he says - maybe he doesn't actually realise what he is saying could be offensive...

Anyway, I'm over his comments, so on to the real story... We were out on a work night last week & this guys boss takes me aside & says he wants to discuss something with me. He says the senses the tension between us & he wants to sort it out. I tell him that I've no issue with him, never had & am happy to work along side his team in the office (our two teams have a certain amount of crossover), he says there is an obvious tension & he had instructed his team to hide things that would be beneficial to my team and my projects. I didn't know what to say to him, but to reassure him & to tell him to get over it and share everything for the benefit of the company... He then goes further and says that he can tell there is tension, because I'm Irish & he's English - I honestly didn't know what to say to this beyond telling the guy to get over it. I have always had English friends & colleagues and have no problem with the English. He then asked if I was a 'Proper Irish Catholic'? To which I replied 'I suppose so', he was in shock... Started telling me that his parents had some experience of someone who had been caught up in the bombings in the UK & that he hated the Irish because of it. I asked him how come he has an Irish friend 'Aine', & he tells me, she's okay, because she's Northern & is protestant. I'm completely taken aback & don't know what to do about this. I've made it clear that I've no problem with the guy & that he needs to get over his issues - in fairness, I think thats what he was trying to do by bring the matter up...

I'm sure I can go on about this for pages & let you all know why I've no problem with English people in general. But that would be a bit boring. But its amazing how we have to deal with racism in everyday life...

So if I've got this right, you are being faced with problems from two different people, the guy and his boss. If his boss is obstructing the Co's good interests by preventing inter-team work or allowing the guy to do so, then I'd go to HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

I once worked with an English girl who was a real chav, or chavette. She was the only English person in an office in Dublin that had a reasonable mix of nationalities, and whenever there was a night out, she used to try to wind people up with opinions about how great the Empire was and how inferior everywhere else was in comparison. Most people would just nod along and then politlely excuse themselves and talk to someone else, but one guy had enough of her, and kind of snapped.

He pointed out that the people who ran the Empire that she was so proud of wouldn't identify with her at all. In fact they felt such revulsion for her class that they put in place an extremely rigid system to avoid ever having to come into contact with the likes of her, and would have viewed her and all of her family and everyone like her as somewhere on the same level as the natives in the countries they were colonising.

It did the job of shutting her up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement