Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There is a racist where I work...

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bruce7 wrote: »
    I once worked with an English girl who was a real chav, or chavette. She was the only English person in an office in Dublin that had a reasonable mix of nationalities, and whenever there was a night out, she used to try to wind people up with opinions about how great the Empire was and how inferior everywhere else was in comparison. Most people would just nod along and then politlely excuse themselves and talk to someone else, but one guy had enough of her, and kind of snapped.

He pointed out that the people who ran the Empire that she was so proud of wouldn't identify with her at all. In fact they felt such revulsion for her class that they put in place an extremely rigid system to avoid ever having to come into contact with the likes of her, and would have viewed her and all of her family and everyone like her as somewhere on the same level as the natives in the countries they were colonising.

It did the job of shutting her up.

ah someone else with the arguement I put forward when Irish people talk of the English repressing them....the "English" that they mean did a damn good job of repressing the English at the time too! They of course mean the Ruling Classes (spits on ground)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

woodoo wrote: »
    very good :D

They are quite sensitive at the min with all the immigrants in their country. You reap what you sow mother england ;)
    bwatson wrote: »
    Your statement is simply ridiculous .............. ................Clueless fool.

Told ya it worked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Oh dear. Here we go again....

Why is it Irish people in Ireland automatically assume ALL black people are African??:confused: When I first moved over, yes I got the stares and rude service in the shops. I've had money thrown at me when paying. It's only when I open my mouth, (to pull them up on their lack of manners! :D)and it's realised I'm English, then people tend to be be bit friendlier...

Just for the record. I do not live like a pig. I clean up wherever I go. I put litter in the bin or take it home. I even pick up after my dog. That's a trait I've noticed about here. Streets are VERY dirty with all the dog mess that people are too lazy to pick up, and let their dogs sh!t EVERYWHERE!!! How about THAT???

:confused:

You clearly didn't read my post...or you did and just took that snippet of a quote to make me sound as if I was the one being racist. I, in fact, said that Irish, Eastern Europeans etc are just as likely to make a mess, they just have different ways about them. It has nothing to do with race...but their reactions and regard for other's possessions are consistent enough to assume it does have something to do with cultural ways (and I gave an example of what a lot of Irish people do in the same circumstances to demonstrate this).

And I'm in the store so I can hear the accents. I'm not au fait with different regional African accents so I didn't want to single out a particular nation, but I can tell the difference between an accent from that region of the world and an English accent? :rolleyes:

Tbh I'm massively offended myself that you've misquoted me and tried to twist my post to make me appear to be making racist assumptions. That's a disgusting thing to do to someone, you should be ashamed. And the fact you deliberately snipped my post tells me you know exactly what you're doing here and didn't just take it up the wrong way.

Here's the post in full again to provide balance and to show the material you omitted:
    leggo wrote: »
    It is quite distressing when you see it in action, especially when you are essentially powerless to do anything about it. I'm quite outspoken in general and will pull people up on the likes of bad manners, deliberate rudeness or being a dumbass in general: but in work you're in that awkward position of having to protect your job so you have to pick your battles.

Just yesterday, an African lady asked one of the girls I work with if the place was still open and was met with a rude, abrupt reply. It was a simple enough question and she wasn't looking for any favours. Similarly, in another shop I've worked in, I've seen black people get deliberately ignored for ages when waiting at the till.

I have pulled people up on this before and have been met with replies like, "Have you not seen the mess they make?" etc. And yeah, to be brutally honest, there are some black women who would make your blood boil with the disregard they have for other people's property. It happens with such frequency that I have to assume it's a cultural thing. The behaviours and profiles are too consistent with each other for it to be coincidence.

But, then again, I've also seen it happen with Eastern Europeans and Irish people (what Irish people tend to do is drop something on the ground, look around to see if anyone has noticed, and if they haven't they'll walk swiftly away regardless of the mess someone else now has to clean).

What I say is, "Yeah, I hate messy and inconsiderate people. But being black doesn't make you messy and inconsiderate by default." In fact, the vast, vast majority of people cause no bother whatsoever. It just so happens that the small majority cause such anger that it, perhaps, confuses people.

It is shocking to see, though, and a very real reminder that racism still exists en masse in modern Ireland. It's just evolved, gone undercover if you will. The attitude is still there in many, otherwise normal and decent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

:confused:

You clearly didn't read my post...or you did and just took that snippet of a quote to make me sound as if I was the one being racist. I, in fact, said that Irish, Eastern Europeans etc are just as likely to make a mess, they just have different ways about them. It has nothing to do with race...but their reactions and regard for other's possessions are consistent enough to assume it does have something to do with cultural ways (and I gave an example of what a lot of Irish people do in the same circumstances to demonstrate this).

And I'm in the store so I can hear the accents. I'm not au fait with different regional African accents so I didn't want to single out a particular nation, but I can tell the difference between an accent from that region of the world and an English accent? :rolleyes:

Tbh I'm massively offended myself that you've misquoted me and tried to twist my post to make me appear to be making racist assumptions. That's a disgusting thing to do to someone, you should be ashamed. And the fact you deliberately snipped my post tells me you know exactly what you're doing here and didn't just take it up the wrong way.

Here's the post in full again to provide balance and to show the material you omitted:

If that's the way you want to take it, then suit yourself. I never made any racist comments, neither did I say you were a racist. I never used that word at all. It is not a word in my dictionary.

Why should I be ashamed? I've done nothing to be ashamed of. You need to fix up and carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Here, either sh1t of get off the pot, you took a snip off my post then addressed it as if you were addressing me, implying it was me who made the misconceptions in the post. It's almost as bad as racial abuse to use your race as a weapon, alongside that axe you're obviously looking to grind.

But I'm not going to hijack the OP's thread anymore. I've made my point and you're obviously too stubborn to rightly correct yourself. Apologies OP.

Here, either sh1t of get off the pot, you took a snip off my post then addressed it as if you were addressing me, implying it was me who made the misconceptions in the post. It's almost as bad as racial abuse to use your race as a weapon, alongside that axe you're obviously looking to grind.

But I'm not going to hijack the OP's thread anymore. I've made my point and you're obviously too stubborn to rightly correct yourself. Apologies OP.

You don't know me, nor I you. I never addressed you, and I wrote in general terms. I did not and have not used my race as a weapon, and it's very silly of you to say that. I snipped out the 'relevant' part of the post for brevity as that was what I wanted to comment on. If you can't see that, then YP - your problem. You are seriously boring me now....

To the OP. I understand where you're coming from. It's a difficult one and I understand you may not want to rock the boat. You get idiots wherever you are, and you can't legislate for them I'm afraid...

I wish you lots of luck and hope you can find a way round this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I had a lad who was continuously being complained about. I couldn't get anyone to back up the complaint in writing as they were afraid I the lad.

I got him into a meeting room and told him I'd overheard him making racist comments in the canteen as I walked past. After a few minutes he admitted to it and said he found it hard to stop due to his culture and background. He agreed to resign rather than me sack him as I convinced him it would look better.

Not above board but it got him to admit it and none of the conversation was documented so he had no come back about constructive dismissals crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

bwatson wrote: »
    Your statement is simply ridiculous and very obvious the work of a man with little understanding of the British public as a whole.

Lets look at it this way just a couple of months before the Olympic games - How many Irish are expected to win medals at the upcoming olympics for example? 1, 2?

The Union Flag was hoisted high 19 times in Beijing, a great number of athletes who brought the gold home for Britain were, shock horror, of african and caribbean descent! I also still fondly remember the likes of the 4 by 100 metres team in Athens (four British athletes, not a single one of them white) and the gold medals brought back by Dame Kelly Holmes in 2004. Very sensitive? Yes I'd agree, on the whole very accepting and often very proud. "Immigrant" communities play a big role in modern British society and are for the most part wholly accepted and appreciated. Your phrase "you reap what you sow" is not only offensive to white British people but also to those who are black and asian.

Clueless fool.

Do you miss Ireland bwatson. You are on this forum quite a lot. I know you are studying in England. Student years are the best of your life go out and enjoy yourself and stop hankering after home/mother ireland.

Don't kid yourself either.. all is not as rosy as you try and make out in terms of race over in England.

BTW I wasn't aware you could call people fools in this forum.

bbam wrote: »
    I had a lad who was continuously being complained about. I couldn't get anyone to back up the complaint in writing as they were afraid I the lad.

I got him into a meeting room and told him I'd overheard him making racist comments in the canteen as I walked past. After a few minutes he admitted to it and said he found it hard to stop due to his culture and background. He agreed to resign rather than me sack him as I convinced him it would look better.

Not above board but it got him to admit it and none of the conversation was documented so he had no come back about constructive dismissals crap.

Well done! It's so nice to see managers taking strong action. Racism is notoriously hard to prove which is why so few people go down that route. It's usually dressed up as 'banter' or 'chip on the shoulder' routine. The complainant always comes off badly, whether they win or not.

Something similar happened to me years ago. Although I knew it was racist behaviour by the manager involved, I did not want to go that route, as like I said it is very hard to prove and would reflect badly on me whatever happened. All I did was to produce paperwork backing up my assertions, and let HR deal with it. The manager was reprimanded. And I got my business sorted to everyone's satisfaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Listening to a comedy sketch at work where the British national anthem is played, My colleague asked me if we had to stand up when they played it back home as a kid. I replied that we're not part of the UK anymore... :rolleyes:

Unless she thinks I was around a hundred years ago or so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Chinasea wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about this OP.

I question the need to name the nationality here if you are genuinely looking for some unbiased feedback (no pun intended). Having sifted through most of the posts (yawn) I was very surprised not to see the auld favourite trotted out about the "no blacks no Irish" signs.

Anyway, if true - sorry to hear bout it mate but you need to suck it up.

If it ain't true you have fed the Brit Bashers – two wrongs don’t make yada yada yada
    Anti British idiocy posts here aside, with your insecurity about being Irish it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were infinitely less dismissive if e.g. a Nigerian person outlined experiencing something similar in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Dudess wrote: »
    Anti British idiocy posts here aside, with your insecurity about being Irish it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were infinitely less dismissive if e.g. a Nigerian person outlined experiencing something similar in Ireland.

WTF.

I'm just wondering why you had to be so dismissive - I assume it's to do with the way you constantly run down Irish people though... even though you're also Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

old hippy wrote: »
    Listening to a comedy sketch at work where the British national anthem is played, My colleague asked me if we had to stand up when they played it back home as a kid. I replied that we're not part of the UK anymore... :rolleyes:

Unless she thinks I was around a hundred years ago or so...

My friend moved to London recently for work. She routinely listens to comments like 'but sure Ireland is part of the UK anyway' etc.

One day though an English lad asked her was she getting the train home to Cork. From London. The train :confused:

There are people that think that Ireland is not only part of the Commonwealth, but also physically attached to Britain!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why you had to be so dismissive - I assume it's to do with the way you constantly run down Irish people though... even though you're also Irish.

My philosphy is as follows; (just to edge you along a path that you might not wander)..

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.
    Albert Einstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    My friend moved to London recently for work. She routinely listens to comments like 'but sure Ireland is part of the UK anyway' etc.

One day though an English lad asked her was she getting the train home to Cork. From London. The train :confused:

There are people that think that Ireland is not only part of the Commonwealth, but also physically attached to Britain!? :eek:

i think it surprises many irish people....to find out that most people in the uk have no interest whatsoever in ireland......north or south...if they know the difference...

Chinasea wrote: »
    My philosphy is as follows; (just to edge you along a path that you might not wander)..

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.
    Albert Einstein
    You don't have to be a nationalist to resent people putting down the people you happened to be born into. And you don't have to loathe your country and fellow countryfolk in order to show how you're not a nationalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I find a few hints around the place help in these situations, Little Irish flags in your cubicle, Proclamation of Independence as your desktop background . Occasional references to what your grandda got up in "the war". Odd humorous anecdotes about your wee dog, Fenian.

Such c**tishness would suggest a long career in HR

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

• Advertisement

i think it surprises many irish people....to find out that most people in the uk have no interest whatsoever in ireland......north or south...if they know the difference...

This English person had no concept of the geography of his own country though. If he did, he would know Ireland isn't attached to Britain.

It's really not a simple case of saying that it's because people in the UK don't care about Ireland. Northern Ireland is a part of the UK. Therefore it's to do with the UK, not just Ireland.

I understand that people can't be expected to know the intricacies of different political, geographical and cultural details of distant countries but in this case it is quite different as Ireland and the UK have a very long and colourful history. I should think any British person as well as any Irish person should be aware of which part of Ireland is part of the UK and what Britain and Ireland look like on a map in relation to each-other.

Maybe I'm being too ambitious here! Lol :)

For sure. Mate of mine from Leitrim & I were in a pub in Tooting some years back & we got chatting to a brickie from up north who was fine until he asked us what we thought "of all the foreigners taking our jobs"... I pointed out to him that me & my mate were "foreigners" and he said "yeah, but you're part of us". I then pointed out that no, we are not part of the UK (leastaways us from the 26 counties). He then took a cop out & said he hadn't been educated & didn't know the difference. FFS :rolleyes:

That in mind, I don't want to generalise. Plenty of people in my host country are more finely tuned to the decline of the empire...

This English person had no concept of the geography of his own country though. If he did, he would know Ireland isn't attached to Britain.

It's really not a simple case of saying that it's because people in the UK don't care about Ireland. Northern Ireland is a part of the UK. Therefore it's to do with the UK, not just Ireland.

I understand that people can't be expected to know the intricacies of different political, geographical and cultural details of distant countries but in this case it is quite different as Ireland and the UK have a very long and colourful history. I should think any British person as well as any Irish person should be aware of which part of Ireland is part of the UK and what Britain and Ireland look like on a map in relation to each-other.

i agree they should know...but they don't, and they couldn't care less....

they do not learn it in most schools.......and geography and history, seems to have no interest for most kids.......

that is the way things are........

all that most people know in the uk......is how much are we going to get, either in work or from benifits............that is daily life....

when can we get a new car....is more important than what's happening in the rest of the world...

For sure. Mate of mine from Leitrim & I were in a pub in Tooting some years back & we got chatting to a brickie from up north who was fine until he asked us what we thought "of all the foreigners taking our jobs"... I pointed out to him that me & my mate were "foreigners" and he said "yeah, but you're part of us". I then pointed out that no, we are not part of the UK (leastaways us from the 26 counties). He then took a cop out & said he hadn't been educated & didn't know the difference. FFS :rolleyes:

That in mind, I don't want to generalise. Plenty of people in my host country are more finely tuned to the decline of the empire...

Wasn't the pub on Upper Tooting Road was it? ;) Know round there very well indeed!

Wasn't the pub on Upper Tooting Road was it? ;) Know round there very well indeed!

It was, iirc, "Hoochie Mamas". Now defunct, afaik :)

i agree they should know...but they don't, and they couldn't care less....

they do not learn it in most schools.......and geography and history, seems to have no interest for most kids.......

that is the way things are........

all that most people know in the uk......is how much are we going to get, either in work or from benifits............that is daily life....

when can we get a new car....is more important than what's happening in the rest of the world...

Erm... my friend and I were shocked here because this particular lad's thinking isn't the norm. I don't think it's fair to generalise here. I really don't think all people in the UK are only concerned with money and cars! Plenty of people in the UK know exactly what's going on, as old hippy said.

I don't want to generalise either. This was only one lad's thinking, that I know of personally.

• Advertisement

Erm... my friend and I were shocked here because this particular lad's thinking isn't the norm. I don't think it's fair to generalise here. I really don't think all people in the UK are only concerned with money and cars! Plenty of people in the UK know exactly what's going on, as old hippy said.

I don't want to generalise either. This was only one lad's thinking, that I know of personally.

Always the way, though, isn't it? A few bumblers say/do something untoward and suddenly "they're all like that"... :rolleyes:

If I had to chose between ignorance in the UK and back home, I tell you, it would be a hard choice.... ;):(

Always the way, though, isn't it? A few bumblers say/do something untoward and suddenly "they're all like that"... :rolleyes:

If I had to chose between ignorance in the UK and back home, I tell you, it would be a hard choice.... ;):(

Yes! I certainly didn't mean to provoke any conversation like that! I just thought it was surprising that he didn't know. I am sure it is as likely that a person of another nationality, Irish included, could make the same mistake.

Personally, I've only been on holidays in the UK so I can't really comment much on that, but I know that we have our fair share of ignorance over here! :P:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

phone ....record....short walk to HR

or

A staple in the forehead every time he mentions Ireland . . ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sea Filly wrote: »
    We're all coloured. :confused:

I'm not. Completely transparent. Watching you all with silent contempt. In the bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I should think any British person as well as any Irish person should be aware of which part of Ireland is part of the UK and what Britain and Ireland look like on a map in relation to each-other.

Maybe I'm being too ambitious here! Lol :)

There's a few Irish people about who think Donegal is in Northern Ireland so I'd give British people some leeway in that regard!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

take a hurley to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm not. Completely transparent. Watching you all with silent contempt. In the bathroom.

while we pee too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

K-9 wrote: »
    There's a few Irish people about who think Donegal is in Northern Ireland so I'd give British people some leeway in that regard!

Saying this to somebody from Donegal is great craic though :D winds the wee feckers right up.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I read the title wrong and thought it said there is a rapist where i work. Had grabbed my little cardboard box to clean out my desk.:eek:

i have lived in the uk for 56 years.....i have worked in all corners of the country.(retired now) and have raised kids, and grandkids, and great grandkids.....i am only saying what i see, and what i have experienced....

my own kids would not even know how many counties there is in ireland..........two have degrees, and one has his own building business....

my present partner has eleven grandchildren of school age.....not one of them would know where belfast is......

but why should they....it is of no interest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

One day though an English lad asked her was she getting the train home to Cork. From London. The train :confused

You should try it, it is a nice way to do it if you have the time. Obviously there is a ferry in the middle, but I usually just refer to it as getting the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

rgmmg wrote: »
    My brother went for him and my colleague hasn't said similar since :)

Your bro seems like a right scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Your bro seems like a right scumbag

In my youth I was never a particularly confrontational person.

After working in a Bar for three years, I discovered that a confrontational approach is often the most appropriate antidote for the detritus of society.

Idiots don't expect people to respond so quickly or aggresively when they're busy being a**holes. I guess it could be called a preemptive strike!

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't hit anybody. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

while we pee too?

Always.

Advertisement