Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a Rented Place

Options
  • 14-05-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question, I'm renting a place in Dublin for the past 18 or 19 months and plan to stay on in the long term.

I would like to paint the place though, just to freshen it up a bit – There are some scuff marks on the walls from couches or furniture or whatever that have been there forever and I think if I painted the walls the place would look so much better

My question is this – Is it reasonable to ask if I can paint the place myself (neutral colours, nothing mental – beige or cream or similar to what is already there but just a fresh lick of paint) and to request that I deduct the cost of paint from the rent – strictly only done with express permission etc, I work in property so know I can never unilaterally alter the level of rent?

Really I’m just asking, is this uncommon to request? I mean in the long run it would save the LL money and time if I decide to leave as the place will be painted already and he won’t need to pay a decorator or to do it himself.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's reasonable to ask; it's also reasonable for the LL to refuse to pay on the basis the he or she does not think the job is necessary. Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Hi,

Quick question, I'm renting a place in Dublin for the past 18 or 19 months and plan to stay on in the long term.

I would like to paint the place though, just to freshen it up a bit – There are some scuff marks on the walls from couches or furniture or whatever that have been there forever and I think if I painted the walls the place would look so much better

My question is this – Is it reasonable to ask if I can paint the place myself (neutral colours, nothing mental – beige or cream or similar to what is already there but just a fresh lick of paint) and to request that I deduct the cost of paint from the rent – strictly only done with express permission etc, I work in property so know I can never unilaterally alter the level of rent?

Really I’m just asking, is this uncommon to request? I mean in the long run it would save the LL money and time if I decide to leave as the place will be painted already and he won’t need to pay a decorator or to do it himself.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys

If the house was freshly painted when you moved in, then the landlord may say no to contributing as it is typically after 4 years that the house should be repainted.

If the house has not been repainted in 4 years then send him a note asking if this could be done - if he then says he cannot afford it then offer to do it yourself if he supplies the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No harm in asking; Im fairly sure my sister had her landlord agree to such a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It can't hurt to ask. If the place wasn't recently painted when you moved in, I don't think it is unreasonable to want the place freshened up now. But if it was newly painted when you moved in, I'd be surprised at him saying yes unless you provide both the paint and labour for free.

He may also say no as he has no idea what kind of a job you'll do. My brother thinks that he is the best painter/decorator in the world, but he has no idea how sloppy he is. His wife spends more time cleaning the paint spatter of furniture, carpets, light switches, skirting boards etc etc than he does actually painting the walls themselves. Am by no means saying that you are as bad as him, but the landlord may simply prefer to have professionals do it.

Advertisement