Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child benefit, child born on 29th of march

Options
  • 14-05-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all
    We had a baby girl born on 29th of march. Received a letter today that we will soon get paid for april onwards. Are We entitled to get the payment for march too since the child was born in march?
    Cheers

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

No.

You don't get money for the month they were born, even if she was born on the 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

its paid on the first Tuesday of the month so you get it the next first tuesday of the month paid in advance,

so in your case Aprils payment is for all of April, you wouldn't get it for the 2/3 days of march.

congratulations on the new arrival! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I always thought this was so strange - the first month the baby is born is the month you need the bloody money!! But no, unfortunately they don't pay you child benefit for the month the child is born. Congrats on your baby though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I always thought this was so strange - the first month the baby is born is the month you need the bloody money!! But no, unfortunately they don't pay you child benefit for the month the child is born. Congrats on your baby though! :)

The reason they do this is because they pay you the last payment for the whole month before their birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

January wrote: »
    The reason they do this is because they pay you the last payment for the whole month before their birthday.

Sorry - do you mean when the child reaches 18? And do you mean they pay you for the month AFTER their birthday? Am I missing something? :confused::o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If the child reaches 18 on the 30th March you'll receive the payment for April for that child, yes. This is why they don't pay you the month the child is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Yep, my son was born 8 hours into the first of the month, and we didn't get child benefit for that month. So really the 29th of the month isn't too bad! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks All
    Yeah We were thinking We were going to get a few bob for that month without having too much expense :). But Yeah 29th is a good day to be born;)

Advertisement